Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Sandpuppy posted:

I have this strange urge to feed Animal Nuz cartoons into a punch card reader.

That is definitely strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Cat Mattress posted:

"Kill them all, let God sort them out" originates as the apocryphal quote attributed to Arnaud Amalric during the massacre at Béziers. The likelihood of Sarah Palin knowing the history of this sentence is nil; but Animal Nuz could have looked a bit more into if they felt the need to explain the reference.

I thought it was just something that everyone's grandpa said when foreign policy was brought up at a family gathering.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Yes, most drones are toys owned by hobbyists, and yet Stantis wants them all to be destroyed and expects us to agree with this.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

And just like that, we're going back to...

This week we take a liberal break.

Clay Bennett

Bennett didn't seem to be that active in January, at least regarding the primary. Fred Thompson hype did sure amount to nothing, though!

This could be run literally any election year and be relevant. Disappointing work.

And that's it! But don't worry, we got plenty of cartoons from...

Ted Rall

:getin:

In 2008 being aggressively Christian wasn't as big a detriment to your campaign as in say, 2012, since Bush made the world a safer place for fundamentalism. Huckabee took advantage of that.

Everyone is goddamn Hitler. Also Rall doesn't draw people, but Tyrannosaurus Rexes.

Rall originally portrayed Bush as (surprise!) Hitler-esque and for Obama gave him a Hello Kitty logo. He was very proud of this, to the point where he tried to sue someone else for using it. Yes: Ted Rall tried to sue someone for using a character that he was stealing to begin with.

"Random squiggles on his face look like wrinkle, right? Right???"

"All candidates have the same opinions," said Rall with the wisdom of a fifteen-year-old.

Rall was basically VERY quick to be the cool contrarian kid.

Why do anything, really.

Such a burden, being so much smarter than everyone.

And our special guest is none other than

TIM KREIDER!

Did you think I'd let it end with Rall?

TIm won't get real active in the election stuff until later, so enjoy this one-shot cartoon. As you will see, a running gag all throughout the election is Kreider's annoyance with people pointing out how much he looks like Edwards.

Next Week: January closes out with a smattering of cartoons I can find from other people.

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 23, 2016

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Somfin posted:

Yes, most drones are toys owned by hobbyists, and yet Stantis wants them all to be destroyed and expects us to agree with this.

That's because drones are a big concern trolling opportunity for the GOP. If a republican was doing it he would think it's a great way to limit civilian casualties in a necessary war but since it's Obama it's a violent overreach of power.

Granted, there are liberals who have the exact opposite shifting opinion as well.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
I thought Kreider quit during the Bush years. Did it not happen until late 2008?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jesus Christ. Short of Bernie Sanders, the only moderate Republicans running in this election are on the Democratic ticket. The idea that the GOP has edged leftwards is hilarious.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Henry had some wretched opinions this week

Political Cartoons 2016: I Will Fart You a Free University Education

thread favorites return

Get those burns in on those dead guys

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Rorus Raz posted:

Rall originally portrayed Bush as (surprise!) Hitler-esque and for Obama gave him a Hello Kitty logo. He was very proud of this, to the point where he tried to sue someone else for using it. Yes: Ted Rall tried to sue someone for using a character that he was stealing to begin with.

God help me, but this is probably the one Ted Rall strip I'll ever agree with.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Rorus Raz posted:

So Bennett finally made his personal Cow Tools
I think about Cow Tools all the time, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

zakharov posted:

Does anyone read this poo poo
I sure don't*

(40,000 goddamn words and three screens later)

*A lovely joke

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Jesus Christ. Short of Bernie Sanders, the only moderate Republicans running in this election are on the Democratic ticket. The idea that the GOP has edged leftwards is hilarious.

Come to think of it I'm not really sure whether Jeb!, Christie, and Kasich are actually moderates or if it just seems like they are compared to the alternatives, but they're certainly not doing anywhere near as well in the primaries as the Tea Party crowd are

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Xanderkish posted:

I laughed heartily at this and cannot explain why.
It uses some pretty basic comedy timing you see in a lot of comics.

Adam's comics are often written with a lot of the same timing and pausing for emphasis as traditional comics. In a lot of ways he's very good at what he does, it's just that all the things he says are very stupid. He has a formula and he sticks to it. That formula just makes for easy jokes.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

The Copper Kaiser posted:

A lack of Adam4d is good thing.

We can't have good things.

A fetus is not an unborn baby. Whatever you think of abortion, the thing that is legal to abort is nothing at all like a baby. I know Adam has no interest in writing for people who don't already agree with his point of view, but it bothers me that he doesn't make the slightest attempt to be ingenuous.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kajeesus posted:

A fetus is not an unborn baby. Whatever you think of abortion, the thing that is legal to abort is nothing at all like a baby. I know Adam has no interest in writing for people who don't already agree with his point of view, but it bothers me that he doesn't make the slightest attempt to be ingenuous.

Way back when I was in 7th grade or so, I remember seeing in my science books an entry on Things People Used to Believe.

One of those things was that men carried all the genetic data for a baby in them, and the baby was fully formed but much smaller inside the sperm.
The man would transfer the baby to the females, since they had important Man things to do and couldn't waste time being pregnant.

My point being, it wouldn't surprise me if this is what Adam believes, and that's why abortion at any point is automatically equal to killing a fully developed toddler.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Might make a good avatar.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Rorus Raz posted:

TIM KREIDER!

Did you think I'd let it end with Rall?

TIm won't get real active in the election stuff until later, so enjoy this one-shot cartoon. As you will see, a running gag all throughout the election is Kreider's annoyance with people pointing out how much he looks like Edwards.

Next Week: January closes out with a smattering of cartoons I can find from other people.
God loving damnit I miss Kreider. We need him now more than ever.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Spider Palin making Trumpiderm visably uncomfortable is the best.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

the_steve posted:

Way back when I was in 7th grade or so, I remember seeing in my science books an entry on Things People Used to Believe.

One of those things was that men carried all the genetic data for a baby in them, and the baby was fully formed but much smaller inside the sperm.
The man would transfer the baby to the females, since they had important Man things to do and couldn't waste time being pregnant.

My point being, it wouldn't surprise me if this is what Adam believes, and that's why abortion at any point is automatically equal to killing a fully developed toddler.

This is a common speculation in some feminist circles. The idea is that because there isn't a physical evidence of the egg like there is for sperm a lot men cannot shake the feeling that it's their contribution that really makes pregnancy happen which gives them the right to decide how it should proceed like a farmer managing their crops. Also the whole baby/not baby thing is irrelevant. We don't have mandatory organ donation for unquestionably living people, why would we for fetuses?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I wonder where and when that was a common belief since Henry VIII blamed his wives for him only having girls since he, a pinnacle of masculinity, could never bear only girls.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

the_steve posted:

You'd think a single person in those times would pose the question, "So then why do so many kids resemble their mothers?"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Even if it was a commonly held belief in Henry VIII's time, I don't know why you think he'd consider himself beholden to it.

Anyway I heard that back in the day they thought you could grow a human by injecting semen into a cucumber.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

RagnarokAngel posted:

I wonder where and when that was a common belief since Henry VIII blamed his wives for him only having girls since he, a pinnacle of masculinity, could never bear only girls.

Henry actually did have a couple of sons; they just died in infancy a lot. He divorced/killed Catherine and Anne Boleyn because they were failing to give him children at all, both having multiple miscarriages.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

there wolf posted:

Henry actually did have a couple of sons; they just died in infancy a lot. He divorced/killed Catherine and Anne Boleyn because they were failing to give him children at all, both having multiple miscarriages.

Probably because he was much older than them and the sperm of an older man is more likely to result in a pregnancy that ends in a miscarriage: http://yourfertility.org.au/for-men/age

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

the_steve posted:

If I remember right, this also gets at the root of why some branches of Christianity consider masturbation to be tantamount to mini-genocide.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Probably because he was much older than them and the sperm of an older man is more likely to result in a pregnancy that ends in a miscarriage: http://yourfertility.org.au/for-men/age

He was younger than his first wife by a few years actually. I think the problem is a lot of people see the portrait of him as an old fat dude and go through the wives and they get the impression that it all happened at the same time. Henry was 17 when he married Cathrine of Aragon who was in her early twenties by them, and they didn't divorce for 24 years. She had multiple still births and a few children that died in infancy, excluding Mary, and was well into middle age herself when he asked for a divorce. The next five marriages happened over a span of around fifteen years. It kind of bugs me that the story everyone gets told is that Henry went through wives so much because none of them were able to give him a son, when it's really more like he let his minister use his love life as a political football with the excuse that it was about securing a male heir, until it wasn't and then it was just about satisfying his desire to have a wife.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
All those miscarriages do make him sound like he was the bottom of the genetic barrel, though.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

memy posted:

BREAKING: Scott Stantis still not Bill Watterson

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

Anyway I heard that back in the day they thought you could grow a human by injecting semen into a cucumber.

I think that might be a mistranslation:

Paracelsus posted:

That the sperm of a man be putrefied by itself in a sealed cucurbit for forty days with the highest degree of putrefaction in a horse’s womb, or at least so long that it comes to life and moves itself, and stirs, which is easily observed. After this time, it will look somewhat like a man, but transparent, without a body. If, after this, it be fed wisely with the Arcanum of human blood, and be nourished for up to forty weeks, and be kept in the even heat of the horse’s womb, a living human child grows therefrom, with all its members like another child, which is born of a woman, but much smaller.

Depending on context, "cucurbit" can either mean the lower half of an alembic or a particular genus of gourd. But since the cucurbitae genus is native to central America and Paracelsus was writing in early 16th century Switzerland, he was probably referring to glassware.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

coming next week: Why Hillary ClintonHunny Bunny is Literally Satanhitler

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

That's a humpback whale you drunk idiot.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
How do you screw up a joke that badly?

Acropolis
Feb 21, 2014

Picnic Princess posted:

That's a humpback whale you drunk idiot.

Also, worst right triangle, OR he hosed up the diagram.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Sagebrush posted:

Even if it was a commonly held belief in Henry VIII's time, I don't know why you think he'd consider himself beholden to it.

Y'know, I've been playing a lot of Metal Gear Solid lately, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find out that Kojima believes that.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

So Mallard is just bald now?

I guess the comic progresses in real time.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MelvinBison posted:

How do you screw up a joke that badly?

Booze, hatred, indifference

WarpedNaba posted:

All those miscarriages do make him sound like he was the bottom of the genetic barrel, though.

European royalty? Genetically compromised?? :eyepop:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Jerm and Gado aren't actually racist, much more slides when the author lives there. How often do authors grotesque caricatures of white people get accused of being racist if she lives in a nation with a majority of that race?

Some of the worst American cartoonists get posted here, if they were foreign cartoonists, their drawings of people like Jimmy Carter would likely be called racist.

This owns. Snyder sucks, Reaganomics sucks. The three-eyed fish Simpsons reference is ill fitting since-- unless I'm mistaken-- Flint has no radiation problems. That's Dees & Fukushima territory.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
:australia:

Matt Golding

Pat Campbell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Post 9-11 User posted:

This owns. Snyder sucks, Reaganomics sucks. The three-eyed fish Simpsons reference is ill fitting since-- unless I'm mistaken-- Flint has no radiation problems. That's Dees & Fukushima territory.

I think the fish adequately conveys "poisoned water" just fine. Doesn't have to be radiation specifically.

• Locked thread