Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

my dad posted:

Good sir, anything is possible in the arena.

Except, currently, whips being good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

jon joe posted:

You should sell the copper daggers and replace them with wooden shields imo.

Defense is for women and children.

'Siege the carp' as they say.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

jon joe posted:

2Chainz is pretty good.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

jon joe posted:

Except, currently, whips bows being good.

I fixed your typo. :v:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Spermy Smurf posted:

Defense is for women and children.

'Siege the carp' as they say.

But...but...extra weapons =/= extra attacks

:qqsay:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

jon joe posted:

:mad:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

jon joe posted:

But...but...extra weapons =/= extra attacks

:qqsay:

Rather have a chance at a stab than a shield bash.

At least thats the lie I tell myself to forget about my terrible gladiator.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Is this a solid build for a fighter?

He's a sapient macadamia nut transplanted on to a troll's body. The rest is self explanatory.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Cathode Raymond posted:

Is this a solid build for a fighter?

He's a sapient macadamia nut transplanted on to a troll's body. The rest is self explanatory.

What are the halberd and helmet made out of?

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Ramc posted:

What are the halberd and helmet made out of?

Iron definitely for the helmet, hopefully iron but probably copper for the halberd.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Cathode Raymond posted:

Iron definitely for the helmet, hopefully iron but probably copper for the halberd.

There are definitely worse builds.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ramc posted:

There are definitely worse builds.

Mine, for example. Bronze-armored minotaur with copper weapons? Pfft, like that'll every work. :v:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

my dad posted:

Mine, for example. Bronze-armored minotaur with copper weapons? Pfft, like that'll every work. :v:

All copper weapons are bad. Josie is basically a joke build.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

my dad posted:

It's true, silver armor is the way to go!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

LorrdErnie posted:

It's true, silver armor is the way to go!

Platinum :colbert:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
:siren: Round 8, Fight 6 :siren:

Cool Rad Awesome Pals is on the left side of the arena.
Punc Hant (Silverminnow) is a female soldier ant woman. She is empty handed and wears a steel breast plate.
BS-45 "Apeliminator" (alcharagia) is a male strangler. He wields a copper pick and wears no armor.
Jimbo Akimbo (Bad Munki) is a male dwarf. He wields a copper war hammer and a copper war hammer and wears an iron cap, an iron mail shirt, iron gauntlets, and iron low boots.
The Krying Bowbold Returns! (Krysmphoenix) is a female kobold. She wields a steel bow and wears no armor.

A furry, a farmer, and two cows is on the right side of the arena.
Goku (Galick) is a male tigerman. He wields a wooden buckler and wears a leather cap, leather armor, a copper mail shirt, leather leggings, leather gauntlets, and leather high boots.
Dontellim Pike (John Charity Spring) is a male human. He wields an iron pike and wears an iron helm, leather armor, an iron mail shirt, leather leggings, leather gauntlets, and leather high boots.
Min/Maxotaur (Anchors) is a female minotaur. She wields a copper large dagger and a wooden buckler and wears a copper helm, a copper mail shirt, a copper mail shirt, a copper breast plate, copper greaves, copper gauntlets, and copper high boots.
Rob Ford (Tirius) is a male minotaur. He wields an iron two-handed sword and a wooden shield and wears a copper helm and an iron mail shirt.

Cool Rad Awesome Pals is a 1.58 to 1 betting favorite in this match with 5401.00 dwarfbucks in total bets placed on them, compared to 3411.00 dwarfbucks for A furry, a farmer, and two cows.

These are two of the teams I'm most enjoying watching fight, so I'm hopeful for a good fight.

Krying opens things up as we'd expect: holing the opposite wall. That's the enemy team's greatest ally, that encircling wall, so it makes sense for Krying to blast it aggressively to start off.

The melee fighters collide. Punc Hant is the first to land a strike, and the ant's punch bruises Goku's leg. If you didn't get the ant's name, basically she's got one letter moved from the two words that make up her name: it's just a basic play on "Pun Chant". So remember to include some Geop puns in your mental image of her. Jimbo does rather a bit more, with his hammer breaking Rob's neck, but not actually severing the spinal column. Nice try. Rob stumbles, though, and both he and Min/Max fall down, stunned. Jimbo takes this chance to draw blood, his fingers forming a claw as he slightly damages Min/Max's eyelid. Apeliminator tries the same move, but gets greaves blocking.

Finally, though, Punc is done warming up, and her punches are actually bruising Goku's bones. This is made even more impressive by the fact that she can do it with one foot, since Pike has removed the other one. Apeliminator and Jimbo continue their tandem attacks; both strike at Min/Max, hitting the same hand, and she loses her dagger. Punc is actually managing to be a rather impressive tank and distraction, as her steel breastplate turns aside both tigerman punches and iron pike.

Krying shoots again. Unfortunately, she misses the far wall. Min/Max got in the way, and the arrow only got as far as her brain. She's dead. Jimbo moves on to a body shot on Rob, and ribs break. It's not all going CRAP's way, though; Pike has realized that Punc has unarmored extremities, and is trying to remove her other leg. Goku, too, is finding how to make it through her defenses. When enough of her limbs have been removed or crushed, she loses her head metaphorically, then loses her head literally. That was Goku's shield. It's tied up again.

Goku and Pike are at the top; they're likely to step down and flank Apelimator, who would then be triple-teamed. Before that, he and Jimbo need to even up the fight again.

Or... Apeliminator could go duel those two, and leave Jimbo and Rob to duke it out. That is not a good plan. It seems to work, at least at first, though, as he deflects Goku's punch, then grounds the tiger man with a paw shot. Another shot, more blood drawn. But now Pike has gotten close.

Apeliminator rolls his perfect mechanical body out of the way of another shot, and picks Goku's liver. He's actually avoiding the two-on-one standup that few fighters can win through his dodges. Jimbo and Rob are failing to hurt each other.

Krying looses another shot. Goku takes the arrow to his thigh, and faints away. Oh, and Jimbo managed another blow, and Rob is down, as well.

That was a fast turn-around. Now, CRAP is suddenly dominant, with only Pike in fighting shape. Mind, Pike could still shift momentum back with just a couple of shots; his teammates being unconscious doesn't mean they're not contributing; damage sponges and distractions have decided fights before.

Incidentally, much of Punc is still airborne, about three Z-levels up. Pike angles to chop Apeliminator down, but the strangler deflects the shot and stabs the human in the foot. CRAP have made a lot of these below-the-belt attacks today.

That's not Apeliminator losing a body part. That's Punc lending a posthumous hand. It's not a deciding factor. Apeliminator and Pike trade stabs, with neither gaining a decided advantage, but both losing blood. That sort of thing favors the larger contender, who can spare more blood. Of course, now Jimbo re-enters the equation, as he successfully smashes Rob's skull.

Krying first, though. His shot catches the unprepared Pike from behind, and he gives into pain, as well. A question remains, though: can Apeliminator kill one of these two and escape his shameful unbloodying? Two chances remain.

Jimbo arrives, and crushes Goku into paste. One chance remains. Desperately, Apeliminator strikes at Pike's head. Then Executioner Smough Jimbo flattens that skull, too. Tough luck.

Final Score
Cool Rad Awesome Pals: 4
A furry, a farmer, and two cows: 1

Kills
Jimbo Akimbo: 3
The Krying Bowbold Returns!: 1
Goku: 1

Combat Log

ZeeToo fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 25, 2016

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
*cursing noises*

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
shut it, moneybags

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
gently caress walls

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
ダメダ。。。ゼンゼンダメダ。。。

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Jimbo Akimbo's hattrick takes him up to eleven kills. The Krying Bowbold Returns! is the second most effective of the Pals: Bows are proving far more dangerous than whips in kills per gladiator, even more so when you factor in gamechanging nonfatal injuries.

Just under half the participants were Unblooded. The side with more lost. None of them merits further mention in dispatches. Shame them!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Jimbo finally got a chance to shine.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Whoops! Sorry, everyone.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

AJ_Impy posted:

Bows are proving far more dangerous than whips

I consider this a political statement. Please keep your otherwise reliable killcount non-partisan and avoid editorializing. :colbert:

Whip gladiators are people too, and their managers have feelings you know.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

AJ_Impy posted:

Bows are proving far more dangerous than whips in kills per gladiator, even more so when you factor in gamechanging nonfatal injuries.

Yeah, bows don't hit all that often or even very much, but drat when they do they can gently caress someone up. Like drat near every shot Krying has fired that hit has either caused crippling pain and slowed them down, cause crippling pain and knocked them out, or killed them outright.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I wonder, would a copper bow necessarily do less than a steel bow? I remember tests from DF .32 or something, there was no significant differences in the kill ability between copper, iron, and steel bows against full iron armor targets.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think it was because the contact area was tiny and so armour didn't have a chance

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Steel is also lighter, so I wouldn't be accidentally overloading the bowbold

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Ok, Min/max, I think we've lulled them into a sense of safety enough now.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Cathode Raymond posted:

I consider this a political statement. Please keep your otherwise reliable killcount non-partisan and avoid editorializing. :colbert:

Whip gladiators are people too, and their managers have feelings you know.

Very well. Here is some neutral and unbiased factual data on kill counts.

There are two bow-using gladiators. They have amassed four kills, averaging 2 kills per gladiator. All bow-using gladiators are blooded.
Five gladiators started the tournament armed with whips. One of them has stopped doing so, and consequently has 2 kills. Three of the remaining four are Unblooded vermin. The kill ratio for those four is less than one kill per gladiator.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

Very well. Here is some neutral and unbiased factual data on kill counts.

There are two bow-using gladiators. They have amassed four kills, averaging 2 kills per gladiator. All bow-using gladiators are blooded.
Five gladiators started the tournament armed with whips. One of them has stopped doing so, and consequently has 2 kills. Three of the remaining four are Unblooded vermin. The kill ratio for those four is less than one kill per gladiator.

How do whip users compare with gladiators who have literally no weapon?

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Well, my Yeti has two kills apparently, so that is already probably more than the whip people combined.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Tunicate posted:

How do whip users compare with gladiators who have literally no weapon?

Pickled Tink posted:

Well, my Yeti has two kills apparently, so that is already probably more than the whip people combined.

Unfavourably, though the count is complicated by those who acquired weapons later.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm pretty sure Panty Thief alone is more than enough to speak for the unarmed. :v:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

my dad posted:

I'm pretty sure Panty Thief alone is more than enough to speak for the unarmed. :v:

He has at least 4 kills and also pulled out the clutch win when everyone else was disabled. Find me a whip user who did the same when the chips were down.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
Yeah, and A Lost Cowman has like, 6 or 7 kills unless I'm mistaken, and he's armed only with the latest in Cowman fashion. Perhaps whips have been under performing just a little bit in this build. Just a bit.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ramc posted:

He has at least 4 kills and also pulled out the clutch win when everyone else was disabled. Find me a whip user who did the same when the chips were down.

To be fair, once a whip user is knocked out, they drop their weapon and have to resort to clumsy fistycuffs should they ever wake up. Panty Thief is a motherfucking freight train pre-nap-time, and a motherfucking freight train post-nap-time.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

my dad posted:

To be fair, once a whip user is knocked out, they drop their weapon and have to resort to clumsy fistycuffs should they ever wake up. Panty Thief is a motherfucking freight train pre-nap-time, and a motherfucking freight train post-nap-time.

The answer here, of course, is to put as many points into unarmed as your normal weapon skill.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Or carry a backup whip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Or just not get knocked the gently caress out.