Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

It was more like a friendship, taken to its ultimate emotional conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

That's how I always viewed it, yeah

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I always thought it was Shinji's natural reaction to someone being the slightest bit nice to him for a change, but if anyone wants to interpret it as being 100% gay I'm fine with that too.
Of course there is also stuff like him recoiling from Misato trying to comfort him, so ya know.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

I've always figured it was just emotional love, rather than anything sexual.

This is my feeling too, and is part of an interesting Ideal. All of the Angels we've seen are horrible,weird monstrosities with incomprehensible motivations a la the old testament monstrosities which spoke to the prophets and drove them a little mad, and none of which approach the new testament, contemporary ideal of an angel as a manifestation of God's love and grace, with one exception- Kaoru. Rather than being monstrously ineffable, he shows up seemingly out of the blue to Shinji while he was standing by the ocean wishing for a real friend and some direction, to provide just these things (answering a prayer?) and is the only one who gives Shinji unrequited love and kindness, something missing from his life since his mom died (spreading the Good News?). His theme song is Beethoven's Ninth, the text of which is a poem celebrating joy and companionship as proof of God's love and desire for us to be happy, and he even willingly dies to allow Shinji to live and reaffirm his purpose, to "absolve his sin." He plainly has more things going on, but the more important thing is that he gives all of these things to Shinji, showing him a piece of heaven, and then forcing Shinji to choose between heaven and earth (in that famous still shot).

Sakurazuka posted:

Of course there is also stuff like him recoiling from Misato trying to comfort him, so ya know.

Misato actually wonders as much, but I think it's more that Shinji recognizes that Misato's got her mind on other things right now and doesn't really want to connect (with a dash of being heartily sick of her "I'm the commander, do what I say; wait, now I'm your caretaker, lets talk about feelings" bullshit), rather than any sexual desire. Sexuality only really comes up a certain few times (Misato/Kaji, the Akagi's love for Gendo) and not much else.

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 23, 2016

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Sakurazuka posted:

I always thought it was Shinji's natural reaction to someone being the slightest bit nice to him for a change, but if anyone wants to interpret it as being 100% gay I'm fine with that too.

Given that, you know, we're at the literal end of the world, what are your thoughts on the "Misato going to 'comfort' Shinji" scene in 23 after Rei imploded? It can definitely be read as "Misato needs human warmth and kindness also, and so goes to seduce her ward", especially given the dialogue at the time, "I'm sorry, Shinji, but this is all I can do."

Only after being rebuffed by Shinji (and the loving penguin) does she begin working her wiles on Hyuga, to the point that you reach Hyuga's line in 24 re: "I'm ok with [dying and killing the entire city], as long as I'm with you".

Am I stretching too much, here?

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

resurgam40 posted:

Misato actually wonders as much, but I think it's more that Shinji recognizes that Misato's got her mind on other things right now and doesn't really want to connect (with a dash of being heartily sick of her "I'm the commander, do what I say; wait, now I'm your caretaker, lets talk about feelings" bullshit), rather than any sexual desire. Sexuality only really comes up a certain few times (Misato/Kaji, the Akagi's love for Gendo) and not much else.

Yeah, Misato hosed up and lost the kid as both commander and surrogate mother now. Not many things left in her social toolkit. :smith:

Evangelion is still cool, because I think we have some diametrically opposed opinions on how to interpret the 9th in that scene, and how it shapes the conflict.

e: lol. First part of my post works as reply to Kytra as well. I love good timing!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kytrarewn posted:

Given that, you know, we're at the literal end of the world, what are your thoughts on the "Misato going to 'comfort' Shinji" scene in 23 after Rei imploded? It can definitely be read as "Misato needs human warmth and kindness also, and so goes to seduce her ward", especially given the dialogue at the time, "I'm sorry, Shinji, but this is all I can do."

Only after being rebuffed by Shinji (and the loving penguin) does she begin working her wiles on Hyuga, to the point that you reach Hyuga's line in 24 re: "I'm ok with [dying and killing the entire city], as long as I'm with you".

Am I stretching too much, here?

Naw it's not a stretch. It comes across as the only way she knows how to connect with people. She's as messed up as Shinji but it shows in a very different way.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Kytrarewn posted:

Man, maybe I should rewatch it but I didn't get that at all. More like "I'm not at all good at warmth."

But your interpretation makes more sense with that scene in EoE later.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

It can be both. People are complicated. v:shobon:v

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I suppose you could read it that way but I doubt it. Everything and everyone's damaged and they both could use a solid dose of genuine kindness. Shinji's too hurt to accept hers(nor almost anyone elses at this point)and she may be trying but that doesn't mean she's good at it nor the person a position who could even have a chance to get through to him at this point.

E: ^^welp

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

It sounded dubious, but here it is. It happens so quick it's only 3 or 4 frames.

edit: well poo poo I guess I didn't save the animated part. Misato just kind of backs her rear end into this as she sits down.

Agronox fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 23, 2016

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

sorry if I've missed this, but will people also be watching the rebuild films?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

the escape goat posted:

sorry if I've missed this, but will people also be watching the rebuild films?

I might have an encore of sorts after the simul is over, but if I do I won't hold it to a specific schedule, probably just once a week whenever people feel like watching?

My main goal was getting folks to watch the original series + EoE

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Also as a bit of research for tonight I am looking up old usenet posts on Evangelion, filtered for before End of Evangelion was released.

I found some gold so far, and I will post my favorites later tonight

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Srice posted:

Also as a bit of research for tonight I am looking up old usenet posts on Evangelion, filtered for before End of Evangelion was released.

I found some gold so far, and I will post my favorites later tonight

rad!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I will say in advance that they're more unintentionally funny than educational

But in a way I think that can be informative, haha

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The romantic comedy alternate universe is cracking me up this time around. I was amused by it the last time I saw the show but now I actually laughed.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Srice posted:

The romantic comedy alternate universe is cracking me up this time around. I was amused by it the last time I saw the show but now I actually laughed.

Yeah, that bit was so cliched :allears:. Do you (and everyone else itt) think it was put in to tease viewers who hated that fact Eva wasn't like other then-currently anime?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Equeen posted:

Yeah, that bit was so cliched :allears:. Do you (and everyone else itt) think it was put in to tease viewers who hated that fact Eva wasn't like other then-currently anime?

I don't think it was, Gainax as a whole (especially in that era) always seemed to me like the sort of folks that would parody something because deep down it's something they enjoy.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

That said I guess they did have their cake and eat it too because there are multiple spinoff manga detailing that premise, haha.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Congratulations

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
When you think about, this is really the only way a series like EVA could ever have a happy ending.

Equeen posted:

I never saw it like that, but I can definitely see it being put in there for that exact reason, considering some of the reactions and complaints Eva got out of some people.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I love it when stories have happy endings

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Droyer posted:

I love it when stories have happy endings

Congratulations

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
lol they've went from storyboards to scripts for the preview.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Also, requesting gif/webm/ whatever of alternate rei running with toast in her mouth

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
To clarify, I don't think the parody was meant to be malicious, I just found it amusing that a "better" alternate universe would just be your run-of-the-mill High School Anime :v:.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

AU High School Anime Shinji should have had a scene where he wishes he could pilot a Gundam and be the hero of a mecha story.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

When I first watched Evangelion I hadn't really seen much other anime, so the idea of that alternative universe being some parody of cliches went right over my head.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Equeen posted:

I don't think so. Just a dream on Shinji's part, a wish for what could've been; that cliched anime life where he could be one of the "stooges," comfortable and unbothered, might've been the kind of place where he could've thrived even given his terrible absentee father.

The "Congratulations" ending is loving bonkers. Is the proper response laughter? Because that's what mine was.

So, if I was watching this back in 1995, didn't they leave a bit of plot completely unexplained? The title cards tell us how the Human Instrumentality Project continues... without actually telling us what the heck it is! Hand me a molotov, I'm heading over to Gainax. It would be infuriating as a fan who actually got invested in the characters.

Misato. Doesn't her character take a swerve here that doesn't really fit with the earlier episodes? I didn't really get "sexpot who wants to be degraded" from the earlier stuff but that's what seems to come out here. (Alternatively, that's just how she sees herself, though others don't.)

Count me in the camp that the show went completely off the rails as of episode 24 or so.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You have no idea how insanely mad people got at the last two episodes at the time.

Anyone who expects the 'mystery' to be solved is going to have a bad time because that's not the point.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Congratulations

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've always figured Anno must be a big fan of The Prisoner, a British TV series from the 60's that's a character study disguised as a mystery and similarly ends on a surreal acid trip that explains virtually nothing.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Sakurazuka posted:

You have no idea how insanely mad people got at the last two episodes at the time.

Anyone who expects the 'mystery' to be solved is going to have a bad time because that's not the point.

Oh, I remember. I also remember being in the camp that "got" the show and being really :smug: about it.

Droyer posted:

Also, requesting gif/webm/ whatever of alternate rei running with toast in her mouth

BONUS: Dub Shinji has a little rant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGMuaXIlckU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Whoa, female Obama.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Command Ant posted:

Oh, I remember. I also remember being in the camp that "got" the show and being really :smug: about it.

BONUS: Dub Shinji has a little rant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGMuaXIlckU

Thank you

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Dangerous Person posted:

Congratulations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Agronox posted:

The title cards tell us how the Human Instrumentality Project continues... without actually telling us what the heck it is!

They directly tell you what it is in Episode 25.

• Locked thread