Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Isn't this implying he has Kid Rock in his playlist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

"Poor kids, about to die horribly. Oh well what can you do?"
You win some, you lose some. No sense crying over spilt milk.

F Minus

Mary Worth

"Much like I'd like to restrain Mary in my basement! Oh you must be mine, Mary!"

Trilobite posted:

Man, it really feels like this has been the longest stretch of Rex Morgan, MD strips that we've seen where there hasn't even been so much as a hint of turmoil, conflict, or mild inconvenience for them.
It has been on a long, slow run, hasn't it? There have been some hiccups with minor characters--the chauffeur assaulting a teenager on school property while armed, a bully on a class trip at the museum, stuff like that--but I bet the last major one was that old acquaintance of Rex who was shot in the head with a nail gun by his wife. That was probably a good two years ago.

And it continues...

Rex Morgan MD

June begins her transformation into Torgo.

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Oh, that Web! Don't trust him, Margo! You can do better!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Alterian posted:

Yeah.

And, really, the whole Robert Plant -> Emmylou Harris thing is a crock of poo poo anyway. Ignore the modern records, just go with the stuff from the late 60s, early seventies, it's not that far to go

Led Zeppelin -> Paul Butterfield -> The Band -> Emmylou Harris
or
something pointing towards The Byrds -> Gram Parsons -> Emmylou Harris

or whatever if you've got more than two goddamn records on your shelf

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set is seen, not heard.

Working Daze sets up a new plotline.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is guest written by Grant Morrison.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

This strip has the best pissed off children.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze sets up a new plotline.

Even the water bottle was shocked into unconsciousness.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Pretend I edited that to say terrorist fist jab

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Solid last panel, there: in a brief but agonizing flash of self-awareness, Nancy stares at the ramifications of Guy Gilchrist controlling every aspect of the strip for over a decade. Surely, her expression leads us to assume she must be thinking, no child of Sluggo's age would be so familiar with Frank Sinatra. Not unless the universe she resided in toiled under the yoke of a man obsessively driven by nostalgia for a time where he was not forced by popular culture to confront even the token nods towards diversity and difficulty that current media provides. A nostalgia for a mutable, indecipherable haze confused with the 1950s and 1960s, a time that only exists in his imagination. Her black eyes become indistinguishable from voids as she realizes how utterly alone she is in this realization; she is surrounded by props that perpetuate her hollow existence by providing comfort to aging newspaper audiences by providing familiar reference and safe, saccharine platitudes. Soon, the sweet relief of ignorance will wash over her, releasing her from this agony, returning her to the artificial comforts of tears shed for irrelevant 50s musicians and VIET NAM VETS, but for now... for now she must stare in horror.

Ringadingding indeed.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Wanamingo posted:

Pluggers

Pretend I edited that to say terrorist fist jab

"Ethnic" handshakes terrify the plugger.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G

Oh, that Web! Don't trust him, Margo! You can do better!
Looks like this strip might finally be about to get interesting soon. Soon by soap opera standards, I mean. So maybe in a couple of weeks.

Bad joke aside, would it really have been so difficult to write a problem with an actual answer?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Bad joke aside, would it really have been so difficult to write a problem with an actual answer?

Maybe it's like all the graphs in this comic that lack labels or numbers.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (January 25, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Four (February 11-14, 1954)

Our Our Way (August 22-23, 1928)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

:flame: Enjoy your cancer!

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Who could have anticipated that sending a beloved celebrity to chitchat with the desperate hostage-taking criminal might lead to trouble?

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Those are some amazing faces.

Well, I laughed.

Moomin's Winter Follies

Classic Dilbert

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil 03/08/2015

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Usual places for some of the comics were acting up/not updated, so Foxtrot and One Big Happy are at different resolutions today. Yaayy.

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

I don't get it, why does the Skidoo revelation shake her to her core?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
She's been shouting at nothing and doesn't even know where her children are.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

goatface posted:

I still don't see why that would bother her?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
All that wasted effort!

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Fritzi Ritz

Feiffer (click for big)

Wee Pals

Life In Hell

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Alterian posted:

Probably does. Thought he was listening to werewolves of london and then figured "Eh what the hell. Better than cancer."

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
What was the name of that strip that had the clown/mime character that did crazy stuff with the design elements in the comic? And is there an online collection of them?

Also is The Bus available anywhere online to read?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Indolent Bastard posted:

What was the name of that strip that had the clown/mime character that did crazy stuff with the design elements in the comic? And is there an online collection of them?

Also is The Bus available anywhere online to read?

I believe it was called Panto but I can't find it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The guy scanning The Bus collected it into an imgur gallery, which is here.
Panto does ring a bell, but it is resistant to google. It was like... Danish or something right?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

goatface posted:

With "outside in the snow" such a safe bet, too.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Slammy posted:

Feiffer (click for big)

Sixty years. It's been sixty goddamn years. This is social commentary, it's not a stupid cat talking about lasagna, these should not still be so relevant. I've said it before, but the Village Voice and Feiffer in particular was really socially conscious, enough to see all of this coming, and try to warn us.

The fact that we can still relate to these strips means that they failed.

We Failed Comix.

I think I fought those things in Earthbound.

Lost Side of Suburbia

Okay, that ending was abrupt, but I think it fits. I'll be starting a new strip tomorrow. See you all then!

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 24, 2016

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
This explains so much...

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Reminded me of this scene from Roxanne from way back.

Mary Worth

Getting a little close there, John Dill. Mary looks quite uncomfortable.

Rex Morgan MD

I guess it's still possible she'll hook up with the chauffeur, but I doubt that's where this is heading.

Edit:

RandomFerret posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

Okay, that ending was abrupt, but I think it fits. I'll be starting a new strip tomorrow. See you all then!
That's not funny!

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 24, 2016

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Aardmania posted:

Gil 03/08/2015

Whoa, memories. Definitely done the PB in random bread-type goods things. Like pita bread.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Jesus christ, we had like a solid month and a half of lead up to the meddle of getting the homeless baker a job right?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County

Peanuts (January 26, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Sexual harassment is hilarious when it's old people!

Crankshaft

Pogo (October 17, 1965)

And as our two stooges shuffle off to Buffalo (and we offer thanks that they skipped over 69), we say goodbye to our full-color Sundays with Pogo. If you somehow can't live without it, Whirled of Kelly is still a going concern, and the backlog has plenty that you may have missed.

Weekday Pogo strips will keep going until my demands are met or until I catch up with where I started. Whichever comes first.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (December 30, 1950)

Barnaby (June 6, 1942)

Nancy (February 13, 1943)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

We already found that one! :bahgawd:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

EasyEW posted:

And as our two stooges shuffle off to Buffalo (and we offer thanks that they skipped over 69), we say goodbye to our full-color Sundays with Pogo. If you somehow can't live without it, Whirled of Kelly is still a going concern, and the backlog has plenty that you may have missed.

Weekday Pogo strips will keep going until my demands are met or until I catch up with where I started. Whichever comes first.

Thank you for posting these.

I think every comic artist working today will agree that Pogo is a huge influence, and a huge influence on their other influences.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Jesus christ, we had like a solid month and a half of lead up to the meddle of getting the homeless baker a job right?
I'm not doubting you, but was the homeless guy even a baker? I thought he just said that his wife and kid died and his company (no specific industry mentioned) laid him off. Plus, ol' Mary-Stalking John Dill there isn't even the owner of Pierre's bakery, he's just some apprentice/cake-slave and by all rights shouldn't be able to hire or fire anyone. I mean, he won one cake-decorating contest. ONE. And that was in loving Santa Royale, CA, where fine cuisine goes to die. He's lucky that Pierre isn't making him sleep in the dumpster out back and clean the goddamn ovens with a toothbrush.

Basically, what I'm getting at here is that I'm going to be angry at this comic when the homeless guy magically is revealed as a baker and the stalker mysteriously gets the authority (and budget) to hire him and Mary gets to take a three-week victory lap for making it all happen by putting a dollar in a cup.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Trilobite posted:

I'm not doubting you, but was the homeless guy even a baker? I thought he just said that his wife and kid died and his company (no specific industry mentioned) laid him off. Plus, ol' Mary-Stalking John Dill there isn't even the owner of Pierre's bakery, he's just some apprentice/cake-slave and by all rights shouldn't be able to hire or fire anyone. I mean, he won one cake-decorating contest. ONE. And that was in loving Santa Royale, CA, where fine cuisine goes to die. He's lucky that Pierre isn't making him sleep in the dumpster out back and clean the goddamn ovens with a toothbrush.

Basically, what I'm getting at here is that I'm going to be angry at this comic when the homeless guy magically is revealed as a baker and the stalker mysteriously gets the authority (and budget) to hire him and Mary gets to take a three-week victory lap for making it all happen by putting a dollar in a cup.

I went backed and checked turns out I misrememberd. He wasn't a baker but the demon child has already destined his replacement career as such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set doesn't even read the articles.

Working Daze is somebody's fetish.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is well too aware of its situation.

• Locked thread