Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
:shrug: I like N52 Kon, his friendship with Bunker was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
See? I didn't even think about it, I just threw out a bunch of names that I knew were still active. You can definitely do a good Teen Titans, particularly ignoring continuity as some DCYou titles seem to be doing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Nothing really ended up ignoring continuity did it? Other than JL and JLA happening 'sometime' to avoid the current day status quos. (e: and JL3K, but that was already a thing.)
Maybe Bizarro had some incongruous stuff.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 24, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Prez takes place in it's own world.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Batgirl seems to be de-aged and her Oracle/BoP past was swept under the rug.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dario the Wop posted:

Batgirl seems to be de-aged and her Oracle/BoP past was swept under the rug.

She's written and drawn with an all new vibrancy, but it is technically the same 2011 Batgirl, and she pops up in plenty of other comics as she is.

WickedHate posted:

Prez takes place in it's own world.

We'll see if anyone remembers to have her born in five years.

e:

Veg posted:

Why didnt Prez launch as a Vertigo series?

Oh and I forgot about Emiko for a new Teen Titans team. She is awesome.

It's not really their job to revitalize old DC properties anymore. Dial H could have been a Vert series too.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 24, 2016

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Oh and I forgot about Emiko for a new Teen Titans team. She is awesome.

Veg fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 24, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

Nothing really ended up ignoring continuity did it? Other than JL and JLA happening 'sometime' to avoid the current day status quos. (e: and JL3K, but that was already a thing.)

Didn't Bizarro have Superman in his pre-New 52 costume with the red trunks?

In fact Babs was de-aged/de-Oracled way before her creative revamp, and her creative revamp happened before DC You started.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Veg posted:

Nah keep Supergirl, she hasnt been a real prominent member yet.

That's what I mean. Probably phrased poorly. Superboy is in the suggested team, I'd put Kara in instead.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Dario the Wop posted:

Robin, Static, Wonder Girl, Kid Flash, Blue Beetle, Superboy, Beast Boy

There's your Teen Titans. Give it to a younger writer (Hell, give it to Max Landis), put an artist on it with a particular talent for facial expressions, and try that out for 12 issues.

I'd rather they just kill Kid Flash off and never speak of him again.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Veg posted:

I wish theyd launch Teen Titans with the new young heroes. Like Damien and..

Man, gently caress DC.

If they could unfuck the Teen Titans it'd be nice to have them operate out of Gotham Academy. Make the book fun, how hard is that?

EDIT: Dario's roster would be spot on.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 24, 2016

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Die Laughing posted:

If they could unfuck the Teen Titans it'd be nice to have them operate out of Gotham Academy. Make the book fun, how hard is that?

I like Gotham Academy too much to want to risk them getting any Teen Titans on it.

You know it'd only be a few months before Maps lost an arm or something. :(

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Veg posted:

Because regardless of how it's perceived by fans I think once you launch something as a Vertigo series it immediately puts a low cap on how successful the book will be. They were probably hoping it would do better business not as a Vertigo book.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I'd like to be optimistic about it after Batgirl, and the Robin stuff they've been doing. Making Teen Titans a book that actual teenagers would read is the best thing they could do. Weekdays at Gotham Academy and weekends at Titans Tower learning from the classic Titans like in Geoff Johns run.

DC knows they hosed up. How often do you see the New 52 Titans appear in any other book?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I'd rather they just kill Kid Flash off and never speak of him again.

Wally needs to be Kid Flash again, and then Barry needs to die so Wally can be Flash again. I hate to have to say it, but also, Wally is like the one white hero in the history of comics who really doesn't need a race change, too. Black guy that runs fast and who's name is the white hero but with "Kid" added? Yikes. The racist backstory elements makes it even worse.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

WickedHate posted:

Wally needs to be Kid Flash again, and then Barry needs to die so Wally can be Flash again. I hate to have to say it, but also, Wally is like the one white hero in the history of comics who really doesn't need a race change, too. Black guy that runs fast and who's name is the white hero but with "Kid" added? Yikes. The racist backstory elements makes it even worse.

Being Redheaded also made him visually stand out more.

Current Wally looks like a background character. Nothing stands out about his design in anyway. The fact that he has no character traits at all of the Old Wally does not help.

He is also way too young. All of his friends from before the universe reset are much older then him. Hell Bart who viewed Wally like an older brother is older then him now. He's younger then Wally was when Wally was first introduced decades ago.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I don't know what they've been doing with Wally in New 52, but there's no reason that a black guy as a blue variant Flash shouldn't be cool. Ahh! DC!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Being Redheaded also made him visually stand out more.

Current Wally looks like a background character. Nothing stands out about his design in anyway. The fact that he has no character traits at all of the Old Wally does not help.

He is also way too young. All of his friends from before the universe reset are much older then him. Hell Bart who viewed Wally like an older brother is older then him now. He's younger then Wally was when Wally was first introduced decades ago.

Look up what they did to Bart and be horrified.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

bobkatt013 posted:

Look up what they did to Bart and be horrified.

Oh I know what they did to Bart. One of the worst ideas I have seen. I also don't believe this Bart is related to Barry or has interacted with him.

I think they decided to ruin Solstice too when they got rid of him. (Completely redoing Solstice's look to make it the opposite of how her powers or personality works was a stupid idea has well.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jan 24, 2016

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
double post

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jan 24, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

And Cyborg I guess went straight to Justice League and was never a part of any Titans team. I don't know a lot about Teen Titans but it seems like a confusing mess.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

Superboy is completely useless as a character since the New 52 made him generically brooding and dark. Happy 90s Youth Superboy rocked.

Nah, he was like that well before the New 52. That was his big character arc in Teen Titans by Geoff Johns - he learns that he was half a clone of Lex Luthor all along (quite notoriously, if you go back to one particular issue of Superboy's comic from the late 1990s, there's a letter suggesting that Superboy could have Luthor's DNA, addressed from one Geoffrey Johns, age 18 or so), which allows Luthor to mind control him to attack his friends, and he becomes all dour and miserable.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Nah, he was like that well before the New 52. That was his big character arc in Teen Titans by Geoff Johns - he learns that he was half a clone of Lex Luthor all along (quite notoriously, if you go back to one particular issue of Superboy's comic from the late 1990s, there's a letter suggesting that Superboy could have Luthor's DNA, addressed from one Geoffrey Johns, age 18 or so), which allows Luthor to mind control him to attack his friends, and he becomes all dour and miserable.

Also paired with the sweet robot girl from the contemporary run of The Outsiders to turn out to be Braniac in disguise (or an offshoot, or fork or something). I remember teenage-Gaz-L being very annoyed with that turn of events.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Indigo! She's going to be in the Supergirl show.

I miss Johns Superboy.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
She was Brainiac 8, from the future.

Yes, three generations ahead of Brainiac 5 from LSH.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Wheat Loaf posted:

Ah, my mistake then, I thought it was semi-tying in with the Young Justice cartoon.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Also paired with the sweet robot girl from the contemporary run of The Outsiders to turn out to be Braniac in disguise (or an offshoot, or fork or something). I remember teenage-Gaz-L being very annoyed with that turn of events.

I thought Indigo got paired off with Shift (the piece-of-Metamorpho-who-became-a-new-Metamorpho).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I thought Indigo got paired off with Shift (the piece-of-Metamorpho-who-became-a-new-Metamorpho).

Yes, so she could cackle about how it was all a deception when Braniac 8's plan to team up with LuthorBoy comes to fruition.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Yes, so she could cackle about how it was all a deception when Braniac 8's plan to team up with LuthorBoy comes to fruition.

Ahhhh, gotcha; I misunderstood your meaning for 'paired.'

Yeah, I was pretty irritated by that storyline myself, if only because I thought Indigo and Shift were pretty cute together.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That crossover was the only Outsiders I've ever read. Was that the same series where they team up with Chris Hansen or John Walsh or somebody to break up a paedophile ring?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Ahhhh, gotcha; I misunderstood your meaning for 'paired.'

Yeah, I was pretty irritated by that storyline myself, if only because I thought Indigo and Shift were pretty cute together.

I don't remember, but I don't think she was aware she was a Brainiac. It was a cute relationship, Elemant Boy meets Robot Girl.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Well, I think she was unaware she was evil. I'm now dimly recalling that she was upfront about being from the same planet as the Legion's Brainy, hence why readers would think she was ok.

And yes, there was something involving John Walsh.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe that series of Outsiders (it was Judd Winick, I think) was a lot like the Torchwood to Teen Titans's Doctor Who - the "grown-up" version except by "grown-up" they meant "everyone has lots of sex and stop having sex to talk about how much sex they have". :v:

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Die Laughing posted:

I don't know what they've been doing with Wally in New 52, but there's no reason that a black guy as a blue variant Flash shouldn't be cool. Ahh! DC!

Blue Variant Flash was another Barry Allen. Wally got the honors of looking like a lovely cyborg ripoff for all of 4 pages before dying.

As someone else said, he lacks any sort of visual uniqueness. He has the same generic haircut and skin tone of every vaguely black background and bit character DC has ever had. It doesn't help that he was also a street criminal gang member who wouldn't listen to his only relative and guardian in Iris (because she was a woman) and needed Barry Allen to show him right from wrong with the power of Baseball.

WickedHate posted:

With a popular tv show and a movie coming out (and another string of movies after that) I doubt there will ever be a time where Barry Allen is not The Flash again, aside from weirdo story arcs whose entire premise is "Barry's not The Flash" rather than him actually being replaced (Ala John Fox for you Flash fans).

The best Wally could ever hope for is to go the way of Nightwing because he isn't worthy enough to be The Flash like Barry Allen because Barry is "iconic" or whatever the gently caress. He'll get a new name and, since Flash is nowhere near Batman popularity, will mire permanently as a b or c lister for the rest of his existence. Unless some huge 90s Wally West fan takes over DC at some point.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 24, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

As long as we're doing armchair editorial, you're all stuck reading my Teen Titans ideas: Many, many years ago, I wanted a Teen Titans series that would have been superficially similar to the current We Are Robin. I wanted to have the Teen Titans concept metastasized through superpowers youth culture. Teenagers would be banding together with one another to do superhero business, not as little consistent team rosters, but as kind of social activity/activism. If you know someone who can teleport, maybe you organize a super-excursion to Lower Stumblefuck, West Dakota to because someone online said that Per Degaton is growing time-corn there. Maybe you then eat some of the time-corn, because teenagers do dumb, awesome things. Maybe you accidentally tear a rift in the timeline, and have to convince Waverider that you have no clue who cornholed the universe, but you're here to help fix the problem.

Riding herd on the whole movement would be Cyborg and Beast Boy. They'd be adults generally (though my universally) trusted by Titans kids, and would pretty openly make themselves available to help with advice and safe spaces and such. They'd also have weird conversations about growing older, where e.g. Beast Boy wonders if Buddy would be cool with BB asking to take the Animal Man name.

The major villains would've been ripped out of the most bizarre corners of DC: old Doom Patrol, Metamorpho, etc. villains, plus a bunch of new strangeness. The goal would be to create that sense of teenage-ness, where everything—even everyday social interaction—has this emotionally-oversaturated, operatic intensity; and the feeling of having enough "adult" awareness to understand a tremendous amount of life and culture, but still having enough gaps in your awareness that the world seems not to fit together properly.

I think that I hashed this all out in a long conversation with a friend, back in the day. It was probably part of the series of discussions in which we also determined that the Justice League HQ should be J'onn J'onzz plus ambitious shapeshifting.

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

getting real tired of your shit, steve

Squizzle posted:

As long as we're doing armchair editorial...
Yeah, but I'd buy 100 issues of that.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Teenage Fansub posted:

Section 8

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Die Laughing posted:

Indigo! She's going to be in the Supergirl show.

drat it.

I want Brainiac 5 in the Supergirl show! :argh:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

datingvolcanoes posted:

Yeah, but I'd buy 100 issues of that.

The prolonged adolescent moment where you feel "I know enough to see that this system is broken—and I know how to fix it" owns and more teen heroes should tap into it, especially groups of teen heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The new Supergirl digital has way too much narration, and I dunno about the Agent of SHIELD DEO thing. I assume that's from the TV show.
Bengal's great of course, but I didn't dig it.

• Locked thread