Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Huh. I had that exact thing happen between my iMac and my old iPad 3rd gen. I just assumed it was my old rear end iPad loving up somehow. I never found a fix for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

IllegallySober posted:

Yup, this is what I did as well and it works with the Apple leather cases just fine.

There's even a magnetic mount for your CD player slot to make it useful now.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

dexter6 posted:

When I try to charge my iPhone 6 from my Macbook Air, it constantly acts as if it's getting unplugged and plugged in repeatedly. It basically goes crazy.

I've tried both USB ports and 3 different official cables.

What else could I try? Or are we not supposed to be able to charge from the computer?

Can you charge the iPhone normally from another source to make sure it's not the phone ?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

dexter6 posted:

When I try to charge my iPhone 6 from my Macbook Air, it constantly acts as if it's getting unplugged and plugged in repeatedly. It basically goes crazy.

I've tried both USB ports and 3 different official cables.

What else could I try? Or are we not supposed to be able to charge from the computer?

Dig all the lint and filth out of the port with a paperclip. It is impacted and causing a poor connection.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Literally charging my iPhone 6 from my Macbook Air right now, so...

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Can you charge the iPhone normally from another source to make sure it's not the phone ?
Charges fine with other sources and the same cables. And docking stations.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
saddle brown looks like a wet poo poo

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

noirstronaut posted:

You misspelled hot

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
installing that 9.3 beta is totally worth it, that flux knockoff is A+++ for the peepers at night

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

noirstronaut posted:

Peanut butter protein poo poo. Black looks like colon cancer poo poo though so

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Depths posted:

installing that 9.3 beta is totally worth it, that flux knockoff is A+++ for the peepers at night

:agreed:

i don't even notice the change any more. my partner was like 'wtf is wrong with your phone' the other night and i wasn't sure what he was talking about for a sec

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

enojy posted:

Peanut butter protein poo poo. Black looks like colon cancer poo poo though so

colon cancer is the new black

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah there are a ton of things that can cause this, this is probably the best first trouble shooting step.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

dexter6 posted:

Charges fine with other sources and the same cables. And docking stations.

Happen with multiple ports on the air? If not you have contact issues with the USB port on the air.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Happen with multiple ports on the air? If not you have contact issues with the USB port on the air.
Both ports on the air

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
If the phone's still under warranty, might be worth taking it in to the genius bar.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How much will it cost me to bring my iPhone to an Apple Store and have them replace my screen? I dropped it without the almighty leather case and there's a fracture at the top part, not even over the actual screen but it's annoying to look at. I don't have apple care but it should still be under warranty I think.

Also, have they said anything about adding bicycle time support to the travel time part of calendars at all?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Boris Galerkin posted:

How much will it cost me to bring my iPhone to an Apple Store and have them replace my screen? I dropped it without the almighty leather case and there's a fracture at the top part, not even over the actual screen but it's annoying to look at. I don't have apple care but it should still be under warranty I think.

Also, have they said anything about adding bicycle time support to the travel time part of calendars at all?

1st question: http://goo.gl/4Yu97W

2nd question: No.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Man, that's some dedicated snark. Hiding lmgtfy behind an url shortener?

:iceburn:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Boris Galerkin posted:

single crack or actually shattered?

normal or plus?

normal is $109+tax plus is $129+tax

if it's just a single hairline crack it can be replaced under warranty

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Sorry I was too busy masturbating to this to Google but thanks.

Froist posted:

I was at the Genius Bar for an appointment today and, welp..

I'd better get laid this week.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I took a dropped-phone to a genius appointment which had a single crack on it. He said single hairline cracks are replaced under warranty, because at times they just appear randomly. He never asked if I dropped it, so I didn't need to lie. Think he was doing me a favour though, as the appointment was way late. YMMV.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sweating it but I noticed that there are two very fine and hard to see lines coming out from either side of my home button. I seriously can't even tell if they're scratches or hairline cracks. Guess I'll keep an eye on them in case they're cracks and then hopefully get it replaced.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Okay real question time that I've googled but can't really find any information:

How the hell do locations and travel time work in calendar events? I thought travel time would update the travel time needed based on your location at this very moment but I've read conflicting reports that it takes the location that you entered as the starting point. I thought and assumed choosing "current location" as the starting point would mean to constantly update my travel time but it doesn't appear to be the case?

How come sometimes I can choose the travel time by car and hit save and then when I go back to edit the travel time, it's no longer selected the "car" version but has instead selected the literal x minute option? How come for other events it will actually stay on the "car" version when I save it and go back to edit it?

Does this even work it feels really unpolished. The idea sounds awesome but I don't know. There's also the whole calendars location thing being really finicky. I mean I'd love to drop a pin at my office desk and save that exact location as my work so I know how long it'll take me to walk across the street to Taco Bell but it doesn't accept saved pin locations. And I have to wait for the locations list to give me a list of addresses that I've typed or else it just won't work.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
who cares

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I notice that weather apps that issue rain alerts (Dark Sky, The Weather Channel, Yahoo Weather) do so by leaving location services permanently on. Has anyone done any work I to how much of a battery hit this is?

I love the feature but am :tinfoil: enough to consider turning it off.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Uh, in my experience you enter an address in your calendar and it tells you when to leave based on traffic from your current location. I don't know any of this other stuff you're talking about.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
I just joined the saddle brown case club after my dark blue silicone one started cracking. Sure hope that doesn't happen on this one too

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Craptacular! posted:

I notice that weather apps that issue rain alerts (Dark Sky, The Weather Channel, Yahoo Weather) do so by leaving location services permanently on. Has anyone done any work I to how much of a battery hit this is?

If you're really worried about it you can get IFTTT to send you an alert when there's a noaa alert in a specified zip code or county. However in my experience apps using location services for low level stuff isn't a bigger deal in newer phones.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Craptacular! posted:

Over the last 7 days, Dark Sky has used 1% of my battery, with 17 minutes of background activity. So...not much.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

MrBond posted:

I just joined the saddle brown case club after my dark blue silicone one started cracking. Sure hope that doesn't happen on this one too

It clearly says in the op that you should moisturize your leather often, use cocoa butter or any non fat creams

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Khablam posted:

I took a dropped-phone to a genius appointment which had a single crack on it. He said single hairline cracks are replaced under warranty, because at times they just appear randomly. He never asked if I dropped it, so I didn't need to lie. Think he was doing me a favour though, as the appointment was way late. YMMV.

Nah hair line cracks are covered.

source:
I'm a former genius

The Infamous Shane
Dec 19, 2007
Call me Shane Mcloon, Super Goon.
I've got an 128gb iPhone 6 that is having hardware issues where the bluetooth and wifi have pretty much stopped working. (very short range before disconnect). It's definitely an issue with the device, I didn't throw it against a wall or drop it in the toilet or anything. Trouble is, it's about 4 months out of warranty and they want me to pay $400 for a replacement.

Any way around this? It doesn't seem fair that I bought a ~$900 phone a little over a year ago and now I have to pay another $400 to keep the pretty essential feature of WiFi.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Maybe if your credit card has some warranty extension or something. But uh... yeah, I mean, that's kind of the risk you take with not getting AppleCare+.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

This is the correct iPhone case

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 24, 2016

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

the correct case is no case at all, the saddle brown people are the same kind who wear cargo shorts because "you can carry all your stuff" and wear socks with sandals "because i dont want to expose my feet"

putting a case on a high-end phone is like putting a car bra on your maserati. if you can't deal with a rock chip or both can't deal and can't afford to fix it, don't buy the drat thing

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Pivo posted:

the correct case is no case at all, the saddle brown people are the same kind who wear cargo shorts because "you can carry all your stuff" and wear socks with sandals "because i dont want to expose my feet"

putting a case on a high-end phone is like putting a car bra on your maserati. if you can't deal with a rock chip or both can't deal and can't afford to fix it, don't buy the drat thing

You're wrong, especially when the phone is engineered to be slippery as hell and without any hard edges to hold onto.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

bobfather posted:

You're wrong, especially when the phone is engineered to be slippery as hell and without any hard edges to hold onto.

you're holding it wrong

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Pivo posted:

you're holding it wrong

Nah. The phones are bigger now too than the old (better) designs which makes them even harder to hold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

bobfather posted:

Nah. The phones are bigger now too than the old (better) designs which makes them even harder to hold.

but blackberries and android phones also have these problems even worse