Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

This is brilliant, where is it from?

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Just reading this made me feel embarrassed for a second.

I managed to read the whole thing and I've never made it more than twenty seconds into Doctor In Distress, objective proof that Chibnall > Levine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Clipperton posted:

This is brilliant, where is it from?

I managed to read the whole thing and I've never made it more than twenty seconds into Doctor In Distress, objective proof that Chibnall > Levine

From who magazine in the 80s I am reliably informed. A quick Google will also get you this from the same sort of time :

https://youtu.be/irIqTPQqgvQ

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I also feel fairly pessimistic about Moffat's last series since it's being billed as a big event, and (with Day of The Doctor as the exception) I've never liked Moffat's big event stories.

Also that doofy song is the best Who thing Chibnall has ever written.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

From who magazine in the 80s I am reliably informed. A quick Google will also get you this from the same sort of time :

https://youtu.be/irIqTPQqgvQ

I think that's what I posted last page

Anyway just to be clear: the fact that Chibnall was a Briefcase Wanker thirty years ago should not automatically disqualify him from running Doctor Who. I do wonder though what Briefcase Wanker Chibnall would have made of Torchwood.

"Doctor Who is not a kid's show!"

"Doctor Who can be for adults!"

"Doctor Who can be very adult, very dramatic!"

(although I suppose that with Torchwood his whole remit was to make an 'adult, sexy Doctor Who', as mindbendingly stupid as that is)

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

Watching The Hand of Fear with the stepdaughter this morning...

"Ugh. Old school CGI is so UGLY."

Don't worry, Deadly Assassin is next, and episode 3 is pure Robert Holmes practical nightmare fuel filler. :frogsiren:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

You know, I'm all for this new guy if he brings Barrowman back.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

please no

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Chibnall is alright

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I hope Chibnall embraces a more room-driven direction for Doctor Who.

I trust his technical expertise at Making A Show but don't have much faith in any of his creative ideas, so hopefully he doesn't try to ape the Moffat/RTD Showrunner model and instead takes a more distant approach.

If he recognizes his own limitations he could easily bypass them by putting folks like Mathieson, Dollard, and even Harness in strong positions.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hey BTW does anyone happen to have copies of the BBC commentary tracks they used to host on the old DW site? You can still access the site, but the commentary tracks don't work anymore. I hope they aren't lost to time

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.

DoctorWhat posted:

I trust his technical expertise at Making A Show but don't have much faith in any of his creative ideas, so hopefully he doesn't try to ape the Moffat/RTD Showrunner model and instead takes a more distant approach.

If he recognizes his own limitations he could easily bypass them by putting folks like Mathieson, Dollard, and even Harness in strong positions.

Or somebody could just shake him by the lapels and beg him not to foist five or six of his episodes on us every year.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

DoctorWhat posted:

It's a corridor show and will always be a corridor show.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

I think Cyberwoman sucked as much as the next guy, but I think I'd be more interested in seeing another bizarre failure like that than another very competent episode of Moffat's worn-out bag of well-worn tricks again (Heaven Sent excluded). It's been, what, 5 years? It's change, my dear. And it seems not a moment too soon.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's a corridor show and will always be a corridor show.

Your anti-quarry bias isn't helping! :mad:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

After The War posted:

Your anti-quarry bias isn't helping! :mad:

The very opening of The Hand of Fear.

Cobi and Stepdaughter - "QUARRY!"

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Replace all corridors with aircars and powered walkways, all the time. Worked in The Pirate Planet!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Murray Gold already has his first remit for season 11. :v:

jng2058 posted:

Okay, so where's the idea that Capaldi's leaving with Moffat coming from? I don't see any hard evidence of that anywhere. Indeed, given how Moffat himself said that it was extraordinarily difficult to handle becoming the new showrunner and inaugurating a new Doctor simultaneously, I'd expect him to do his best to get Peter to stay on for at least one season of Chibnall's run just to help smooth the transition.

Sure, just like David Tennant promised he would! :suicide:

The real question is: will Moffat be involved in picking the new Doctor as opposed to letting Chibnall handle the casting, and if so, should he? I can see arguments either way: on the one hand it would be great to let Chibnall pick his own Doctor. On the other hand Moffat is 3 for 3 with amazing casting for the role....

Stabbatical posted:

I think Cyberwoman sucked as much as the next guy, but I think I'd be more interested in seeing another bizarre failure like that than another very competent episode of Moffat's worn-out bag of well-worn tricks again (Heaven Sent excluded). It's been, what, 5 years? It's change, my dear. And it seems not a moment too soon.

One thing about Cyberwoman which I'll ask--wasn't Torchwood RTD's show? Wasn't he the showrunner? I never watched the regular seasons, and I never saw Cyberwoman in particular and I'd wonder--if you ignore the stupid costume, was the writing that bad? I don't see how you can blame the writer for the choices of the director, costumer, set designer, actors, etc.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Clipperton posted:

That's not saying much, to be fair.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Astroman posted:

One thing about Cyberwoman which I'll ask--wasn't Torchwood RTD's show? Wasn't he the showrunner? I never watched the regular seasons, and I never saw Cyberwoman in particular and I'd wonder--if you ignore the stupid costume, was the writing that bad? I don't see how you can blame the writer for the choices of the director, costumer, set designer, actors, etc.

Torchwood is too terrible, and staffed by too many otherwise competent people to place the blame at the feet of a single person, but Chibnail is one of the few who is also incompetent elsewhere, so it weighs more heavily on him. (And I like his two Series 7 episodes!)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Chibnaill was head writer and co-producer of Torchwood actually, so he would've had near final approval on everything, and unless Davis REALLY wanted a black lady in a silver bikini and fought for it then Chibnaill has at least half of the blame for approving it.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Stabbatical posted:

It's been, what, 5 years? It's change, my dear. And it seems not a moment too soon.

Oh it's definitely time for a change and I don't think even die-hard Moffat fans (like me) are clamouring for him to stick around. Just, you know. Chibnall.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Clipperton posted:

Oh it's definitely time for a change and I don't think even die-hard Moffat fans (like me) are clamouring for him to stick around. Just, you know. Chibnall.

Yeah, I think Moffat's getting a bit worn out in the showrunner position and it's time for a change, but the new showrunner announcement should make me go, "Oooh, what're they going to do with the show?!" not "Oh no! What are they going to do with the show!"

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Series 9 is tied for best of the revival for me and I still think it's time for him to go. And this series, especially the Christmas episode, really did feel like Moffat might be done. I was really hoping, though, that staying on another season might give enough time for some of the newcomers like Harness and Mathieson to get a shot at the big chair.

I'm excited for Series 10, though, because knowing that it's your last going in never hurts.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
It'll be alright under Chibnall.

We'll see a return to Classic Who - wobbly sets, quarries, and more baddies made of tin foil and bubble wrap than you could shake a vaccum hose at! :v:
The BBC have released a sneak preview of his plans for the series. :nws:

Really though, while I'm glad Moffat is stepping down, I can't say I'm too excited for Chibnall. But, he may surprise us. I don't know. It'll be interesting to watch anyway - be it failure, boon, or otherwise.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 24, 2016

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rochallor posted:

Series 9 is tied for best of the revival for me and I still think it's time for him to go. And this series, especially the Christmas episode, really did feel like Moffat might be done. I was really hoping, though, that staying on another season might give enough time for some of the newcomers like Harness and Mathieson to get a shot at the big chair.

The only big chair Harness belongs in is the kind you'd find at Sing Sing.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Oxxidation posted:

The only big chair Harness belongs in is the kind you'd find at Sing Sing.

Say that again in about four episodes' time. Ah, never mind, you'll probably hate them.

I almost don't want Harness to eventually become showrunner because it would piss everybody off, but then I almost want Harness to eventually become showrunner just because it would piss everybody off.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

:eyepop:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

With Dr. Who being such a headliner of a show you'd figure the network would bother to air more than 5 episodes a year on average.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Skyl3lazer posted:

With Dr. Who being such a headliner of a show you'd figure the network would bother to air more than 5 episodes a year on average.

Always leave them wanting more.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skyl3lazer posted:

This is British television where popular series have two seasons made three years apart of only six episodes, two specials that aired once and one of which spent half of it recapping the previous season, and a fifteen minute long radio drama from ten years ago that was promoted as tying up loose ends but in fact left on a massive cliffhanger. They're promising to get around to season three soon.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rochallor posted:

Say that again in about four episodes' time. Ah, never mind, you'll probably hate them.

nice

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

It never stops being funny.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm probably gonna end up buying Oxxipation or Toxxidation for maximum hilarity

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
You two are the Peter Harness two-parter of people.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

aw gently caress oxx we done got roasted

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Carbon dioxide posted:

This but as Ra's Al Ghul.

And they never mention the change, he just continues to be the same character as in Arrow and the Doctor rolls with it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Wait.

Ra's Al Ghul.

The batman villain of vaguely Arabic origin.

Played by John loving Barrowman?!? How is that not absolutely terrible?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Why is Ra's even on a Green Arrow show?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wait.

Ra's Al Ghul.

The batman villain of vaguely Arabic origin.

Played by John loving Barrowman?!? How is that not absolutely terrible?

I don't watch the show, but to my understanding Barrowman's character is the second Ra's Al-Ghul in the show, having received the role and title after the first one died. Before then, he was Dark Archer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Yeah Ra's was played by an appropriate actor but then died and Barrowman/Merlyn/Dark Archer seized control.

• Locked thread