Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

Is there a quickstart mod that gives you a chest with a few hundred iron/copper plate, or some basic electric poo poo?

Probably easiest to just console command it:
code:

/c game.player.insert { name='iron-plate', count=1000 }
/c game.player.insert { name='copper-plate', count=1000 }
/c game.player.insert { name='stone', count=200 }

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Moddington posted:

Probably easiest to just console command it:
code:
/c game.player.insert { name='iron-plate', count=1000 }
/c game.player.insert { name='copper-plate', count=1000 }
/c game.player.insert { name='stone', count=200 }

god bless you

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Elendil004 posted:

Oh wait till you see Blue packs.

Is there a quickstart mod that gives you a chest with a few hundred iron/copper plate, or some basic electric poo poo?

Blue packs are easy.

Green packs have few enough, easy enough ingredients that I feel the need to do them right. Doing it right is hard.

Blue packs though, they need inconvenient stuff that you all but need to make your factory around in order to make in convenient spots to bring them together. So instead i plonk down 2 belts, 4 inserters and 4 chests. And then pack mule them over manually, like an animal. Then a little bit of research later I have robots to do it for me. Easy.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
I basically play this game to make a factory fed by a stupidly huge and complicated train network. Do we have any information on when 13.0 is coming out? I'm having a lot of trouble summoning up the energy to start a new game when the track laying / train system re-work is around the corner.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
I might be wrong but I believe that .13 won't be released until after the Stream release which won't happen until the 25th of February.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
That spider is outright terrifying and gives me chills down my spine, the bad kind of chills.

If we "need" to make this, from an optimal gameplay perspective, then thats the end of Factorio for my part :-/

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ineptitude posted:

That spider is outright terrifying and gives me chills down my spine, the bad kind of chills.

If we "need" to make this, from an optimal gameplay perspective, then thats the end of Factorio for my part :-/

No, it's a less crashy alternative to a car. You won't lose anything from not using it.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

ikanreed posted:

No, it's a less crashy alternative to a car. You won't lose anything from not using it.

Looks like it's perfect for island bases too based on that movement.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

suuma posted:

This game is fun until I try to automate green science packs. :negative:

:shobon: I remember that stage.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
They really do need to fix Blue packs. Because the jump from Red to Green is annoying but manageable, but Blue just feels like an utter chore. Splitting Blue into two different sciences would probably go a long way.

EDIT: Probably setting up Science Pack 3 to be the Red Circuit and Steel would do a lot. You need those two for a lot of advanced buildings. Setting a Science Pack 4 to Battery and Green Inserter is a good extension, or maybe have something else instead of the Green Inserter.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 11, 2016

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

suuma posted:

This game is fun until I try to automate green science packs. :negative:

Maybe I need to see what else I can research with just reds though.

greens aren't that bad, the whole chain is only iron and copper. It's getting your mines set up that sucks, imo.

http://imgur.com/KIxsjse

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 11, 2016

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
My big problem is trying to make enough green circuit production to make red circuits at a reasonable speed. It's what, 40 greens to one red? That's crazy. And everything past hour five needs red circuits.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Cosmik Debris posted:

greens aren't that bad, the whole chain is only iron and copper. It's getting your mines set up that sucks, imo.

That is totally in keeping with factorio madness but you can click ? on my name for a cleaner version that scales

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
oh no doubt, i just threw one together in less than 5 minutes in a blank space in my base, but it ended up too cramped. I was just demonstrating that greens are relatively easy.

edit: yours is nice (im def stealing it) if you have a lot of space and raw materials but mine will get you going faster, with less space and materials, I believe, after which point you can invest in higher tier technologies and clean things up!

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 11, 2016

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

bbcisdabomb posted:

My big problem is trying to make enough green circuit production to make red circuits at a reasonable speed. It's what, 40 greens to one red? That's crazy. And everything past hour five needs red circuits.

Not even close. A single Assembly 1 on Green Circuits and Wires can feed a single Assembly 2 on Red Circuits, mostly because the red circuits take forever.

There's a program I love called Foreman that can most of the ratio work for you. Just tell it how much you want outputted (I had to do a little math to figure out how many red circuits per minute one Assembly 2 could produce) and it'll calculate all of the prerequisites for you.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

This is cool and good and I can't wait to build one in the game.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cosmik Debris posted:

You seem to have a belt of gears split off that isn't doing anything.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

Tenebrais posted:

You seem to have a belt of gears split off that isn't doing anything.

Iron gear wheels are the mascot of this game. Why would you leave half that belt empty instead of filling it with iron gear wheels?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Man, the guys talking about optimized train routes for max throughput on factories make me feel like I'm bad at this game. Then some dudes wander in talking about how automating green/blue science packs is hard and I feel good at this game again comparatively.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Hello factorio thread.

I haven't played for over a year, what's changed.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Phobophilia posted:

Hello factorio thread.

Nothing worthwhile. Keep waiting.

You can pave things now and there's a new bug

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Phobophilia posted:

Hello factorio thread.

Steam release February 25th. Pretty sure multiplayer has been added since you last played and that is a lot of fun.

Much better train laying.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm a big fan of the way Steejo does science.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

KillHour posted:

I'm a big fan of the way Steejo does science.

It's so slow though. Arumba's was way better once Steejo got oil working.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I am so excited for the steam release I am counting down the days. Only 22 days to go! I'm buying a copy for my wife as soon as its available.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
They're going to make so much money and it'll be well deserved. Been playing this on and off and still loving it.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Every person I've given a copy to come play multiplayer with me has gone and bought the game after the first session.

I'd say buy it now. You'll get a steam key when the time comes and the price might go up then.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
New Friday Facts with two big points.

-Everyone will get a Steam key some time around the Steam release.

-The price will increase to $19.99 upon the Steam release.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Oh hey, how come I never found this thread before?

I've been playing Factorio on and off for a few years now. In that time I've made a couple of mods people might be interested in:
Side Inserters - inserters that drop items 90° to the left or right, rather than directly opposite the pickup location
Electric Furnaces - adds electric versions of stone and basic steel furnace, and late-game advanced electric furnace
Crafted Artifacts - mod for peaceful players (like myself), adds a rare earth ore that can be processed (with copper and acid) into superconductors, which are crafted into superconductor wires and combined with processing units to create artifacts

I've just reinstalled so I guess I'll spend today making sure those mods still work (although comments suggest they do) and fixing them if necessary.

I did also have a mod that added devices for separating lanes to different belts but changes to the transport belts broke it, might see if it's possible again.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I'm surprised that no one has made a single-tile automatic belt balancing device, like a splitter balancer except in one lil' nugget.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I'm surprised that no one has made a single-tile automatic belt balancing device, like a splitter balancer except in one lil' nugget.

Would also enjoy a splitter thing to separate the two lanes of a belt without doing that ugly underground belt hack or having a bunch of filtering smart inserters.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

ionn posted:

Would also enjoy a splitter thing to separate the two lanes of a belt without doing that ugly underground belt hack or having a bunch of filtering smart inserters.

I'd go for that too. Some of the constructs to make things work are just so drat ugly, a nice elegant mod piece would be lovely.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I ran across this thread randomly yesterday, checked out the demo and found it to be pretty fun. I'm thinking about buying the game, but I'm confused about pricing.

The base game is currently $16. You can upgrade to the second tier to get the base game + Scenarios DLC for $21.50.
According to their blog, the game on Steam will include the Scenarios DLC and will retail for $19.95.

It sounds like my best bet is to just wait for it to come out on Steam and get the whole package for $20. Am I understanding this correctly? Is it possible that buying just the base game now for $16 will net me the Scenario DLC when Steam keys are released?

Thanks!

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
I would say get the $16 deal while you can. You'll get a steam code anyway which probably will give you the scenario package. And if it doesn't, scenario pack is kind of meh anyway. I think I spent a total of about 20 minutes in there, which is probably higher than typical for anyone who actually got it.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Oh hey, new Friday Facts. We're getting achievements and

:stare:

And, uh... :flame:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Krysmphoenix posted:

Oh hey, new Friday Facts. We're getting achievements and

:stare:

And, uh... :flame:

Okay, so that makes flamethrowers once again beat poison bombs for forest clearing.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Solumin posted:

I ran across this thread randomly yesterday, checked out the demo and found it to be pretty fun. I'm thinking about buying the game, but I'm confused about pricing.

The base game is currently $16. You can upgrade to the second tier to get the base game + Scenarios DLC for $21.50.
According to their blog, the game on Steam will include the Scenarios DLC and will retail for $19.95.

It sounds like my best bet is to just wait for it to come out on Steam and get the whole package for $20. Am I understanding this correctly? Is it possible that buying just the base game now for $16 will net me the Scenario DLC when Steam keys are released?

Thanks!

In a recent devblog they talk about this actually.

There's going to be absolutely no difference between them once it launches on Steam. The original plan was to have separate things, but the scenarios will be part of the main package, rather than maintain two separate products.

quote:

The Scenario Pack

Starting with the game release on Steam, the Scenario Pack will be distributed together with the basic game itself. This is quite a big change=) Our motivations are following:

We believe that Scenario pack contains some really interesting content that gives prominence to different aspects of the game than the Campaign and the Freeplay. Exposing this to wider audience feels right.
Having the Scenario Pack in the base package (and not as a paid content) takes away some pressure for updating it. Though we still have ideas for additional scenarios / mini campaigns.
Adding the Scenario Pack gives more justification to increased price.

For more info: http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-124

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
This is a fun game, and my friend and I am enjoying it immensely. If anyone has been lurking this thread and thinking about buying the game, I highly recommend it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Solumin posted:

This is a fun game, and my friend and I am enjoying it immensely. If anyone has been lurking this thread and thinking about buying the game, I highly recommend it.

At this point anyone waiting is waiting for the steam release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

ikanreed posted:

At this point anyone waiting is waiting for the steam release.

It's actually better to buy it now at $16 and get the whole game than wait for steam release and pay $20 and get the exact same thing you can pay $16 for right now.