Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

JamesOff posted:

I have Perian installed and they're not working anyway. Have I missed a step? I started up Chrome for the PYF GIF thread and my laptop nearly melted :(

Persian stopped getting updated long before WebM came into existence, didn't it? Fake edit: Yeah, just checked and WebM is not on the list of formats it supports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

tankadillo posted:

I have a bunch of pictures I want to put together as frames in a gif. What's a good and free way to do that with OS X?

Preview.app

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

tankadillo posted:

I have a bunch of pictures I want to put together as frames in a gif. What's a good and free way to do that with OS X?

Are they numbered? You can just install imagemagick using homebrew or something

So if you had image01, image02, image03....

convert -delay 30 -loop 0 image*.gif animation.gif

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I used GIFfun before, ghetto and old but works on Intel at least (but I haven't tried in El Cap yet):
http://www.stone.com/GIFfun/

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

This would be perfect if it gave me a bit more control and looped the animation.

Bob Morales posted:

Are they numbered? You can just install imagemagick using homebrew or something

So if you had image01, image02, image03....

convert -delay 30 -loop 0 image*.gif animation.gif

This works great. Thanks!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Random cool tip of the day: disable the on-screen brightness and volume indicators that are needlessly fuckoff huge and annoying 100% of the time when using during fullscreen video playback.

To disable for the user until next login:

code:
launchctl unload -F /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.BezelUI.plist
(re-enable by changing "unload" to "load", or just re-log in)

To permanently disable for the user:

code:
launchctl unload -wF /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.BezelUI.plist
(re-enable by changing "unload" to "load")

Alternatively, if there are any apps that would change the on-screen indicators to instead show up in the toolbar or some other place less intrusive, let me know! That'd be cooler than hiding them altogether. You can have the volume level displayed as an icon in the toolbar, but it's a little vague, and doesn't prompt the toolbar to show up if hidden by a fullscreen app.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

They are too big and take too long to go away, but turning them off entirely isnt exactly the best solution.

Maybe Apple should make them just less big, or move them to the corner during full screen apps/video?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Laserface posted:

They are too big and take too long to go away, but turning them off entirely isnt exactly the best solution.

Maybe Apple should make them just less big, or move them to the corner during full screen apps/video?

:haw:

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
I'm looking for a program to transcribe dictation files and was reading about Dragon for Mac. I've read some complaints about the newest version, so I was wondering if there were any good alternatives.

I don't care about doing commands and poo poo for my computer, it would mostly be for short memos to files and transcribing voicemail files that I get.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I need some kind of spyware removal tool for my mac because I'm sitting here on my macbook with all applications closed and in less than an hour my bandwidth+ monitor says I've downloaded 1 gig of data with nothing open.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
What does Activity Monitor say?

I'll say I haven't regretted buying Little Snitch

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

RealFoxy posted:

I need some kind of spyware removal tool for my mac because I'm sitting here on my macbook with all applications closed and in less than an hour my bandwidth+ monitor says I've downloaded 1 gig of data with nothing open.
http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php

There's a way to see what's downloading in terminal, although I never remember how. lsof -i maybe? netstat is another one but I've never used it myself.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

RealFoxy posted:

The one time I had to deal with Mac malware, Malwarebytes served me well.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

The Milkman posted:

What does Activity Monitor say?

I'll say I haven't regretted buying Little Snitch

Little Snitch is great. Also seconding Activity Monitor's "Network" tab.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is anyone else having MASSIVE problems with Safari over the last day or two? My tabs are acting janky as gently caress.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is anyone else having MASSIVE problems with Safari over the last day or two? My tabs are acting janky as gently caress.

Yeah, disable uBlock, some recent (os I think) update hosed it to hell and back for me, jsut got it fixed this morning.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
So I used Daisy Disk to check my hard-drive and I noticed I've got two files in /lost+found/ which appear to be El Cap installers from September. It's totally fine to delete them, yeah?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kekekela posted:

Yeah, disable uBlock, some recent (os I think) update hosed it to hell and back for me, jsut got it fixed this morning.

I've actually gone through and deleted all of my Safari extensions and they're still not working :(

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I've actually gone through and deleted all of my Safari extensions and they're still not working :(

Yeah I was just coming back ot say that my supposed fix is back to not working. :smith:

I'm seeing a lot of people saying that disabling safari-suggestions, autofill etc will fix but none of that's working for me either.

e: ok it does seem that the suggestions thing is the root cause...switching to por, err, private browsing fixes the crashes for me, presumably because the suggestion server doesn't get contacted when running in that mode

ee: ok, prefs>search> unclick safari suggestions will fix (I was disabling autofill before which didnt help)

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jan 27, 2016

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kekekela posted:

Yeah I was just coming back ot say that my supposed fix is back to not working. :smith:
e: ok it does seem that the suggestions thing is the root cause...switching to por, err, private browsing fixes the crashes for me, presumably because the suggestion server doesn't get contacted when running in that mode

ee: ok, prefs>search> unclick safari suggestions will fix (I was disabling autofill before which didnt help)

AHHH THIS WORKED!!!

Thanks so much! I use Safari across all devices so I was dreading going back to Chrome (and thus.. no battery on my MBP)

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
The future of VMWare Fusion seems uncertain.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Huh. Well, I guess I'll adopt a wait an see attitude for now. The thing I'll miss the most if I jump over to Parallels is being able to create a machine and then migrating it to an ESX server.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Ha, and I was talking to a VMWare recruiter for the Fusion project before I landed where I am now...

Whew.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
:stare: Didn't see that one coming.

Guess that'll give me more of a reason to check out Veertu at some point, pretty recent with the main claim to fame being it uses the built in hypervisor framework and runs in userspace, and thus is allowed on the App Store. Haven't seen much about it outside of these quick looks:

http://technodrone.blogspot.com/2016/01/native-mac-osx-virtualization-with.html
https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2016/01/10/first-look-at-veertu/

And while looking that up I came across this other one meant for server stuff:
https://github.com/mist64/xhyve

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

TinTower posted:

So I used Daisy Disk to check my hard-drive and I noticed I've got two files in /lost+found/ which appear to be El Cap installers from September. It's totally fine to delete them, yeah?

I had one these hanging around from like 10.7 or 10.8 a while back, they're really just taking up space and you can trash them no problem.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Cyne posted:

I had one these hanging around from like 10.7 or 10.8 a while back, they're really just taking up space and you can trash them no problem.

Oh good. I was wondering why I had no drat disk space. I had 5, presumably running back from 10.7! Hello 25GB more free space!

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
You know when you've got a bunch of tabs open in Safari and you click a link and it takes you to the new tab? How do you jump back to the previously viewed tab? This is coming a problem for me. :(

edit: I found it.. Safari > Window > Show Previous Tab..and there's a keyboard shortcut which is what I was hoping.

edit2: This actually just goes to the tab to the left...I want to be able to jump back to whatever tab I had open before I clicked the loving link.

decypher fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 28, 2016

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

decypher posted:

You know when you've got a bunch of tabs open in Safari and you click a link and it takes you to the new tab? How do you jump back to the previously viewed tab? This is coming a problem for me. :(

edit: I found it.. Safari > Window > Show Previous Tab..and there's a keyboard shortcut which is what I was hoping.

edit2: This actually just goes to the tab to the left...I want to be able to jump back to whatever tab I had open before I clicked the loving link.

I usually uncheck Safari -> Preferences -> Tabs -> When a new tab or window opens, make it active

and open all new tabs in the background and then manually switch to them. Not really a solution tho sorry.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Last Chance posted:

I usually uncheck Safari -> Preferences -> Tabs -> When a new tab or window opens, make it active

and open all new tabs in the background and then manually switch to them. Not really a solution tho sorry.

I have that unchecked yet Safari still makes the clicked link the active tab. Yeesh.

edit: Oh, because I clicked the link and didn't open as new tab. Anyway, I still want a way to get back to the previously viewed window when you click a link.

Alternatively, If every clicked link could open as a tab in the background that'd be awesome...

decypher fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 28, 2016

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

Make sure they have the latest client, maybe? The latest is v.3.8.5 and I've got it running on two El Capitan clients with no probs. Also make sure the account you are trying to sign in with has admin rights.

Also make sure you're running ARD v.3.8.

No go. So far this has happened to 5 computers that have been upgraded from previous versions of Mac OS X and all have experienced exactly the same issue.

So far the only resolution is completely wipe and perform a fresh installation of 10.11.

gently caress you Apple.

gently caress you.

gently caress you.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

TinTower posted:

haha I just had the same discovery yesterday, only it was a pair of older OSs (Yosemite and something else).

deleting them worked fine for me.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
safari is failing to load tweetdeck, receiving a "fatal error" from the site 100% of the time; i'm not having this problem with any other browser. anyone else seen it?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TheQat posted:

safari is failing to load tweetdeck, receiving a "fatal error" from the site 100% of the time; i'm not having this problem with any other browser. anyone else seen it?

Nope. Just tested it on '14 rMBP El Cap Safari 9.0.3. Worked fine.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
nvm it was an extension problem.

is there a good content blocker for OSX Safari yet?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
uBlock?

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

~Coxy posted:

uBlock?

uBlock doesn't use Apple's method of content blocking, as seen on iOS.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Aljoudi is apparently waiting for Apple to fix a Safari bug before bringing out Purify for OS X.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Has anyone had any luck with controlling external media on Mac OS? I need to implement a policy of read-only for discs, USB drives, etc.
Bonus difficulty is that these are standalone and not on any network. The third party solutions I've found either require the system to be on a network (McAfee, Sophos) or can't be used because they were developed overseas.
It doesn't look like OS X Server has any policies relating to this, and any other hacks like removing the kernel extensions don't work on later releases.

<---- me, at Apple's enterprise support

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Device Control in Sophos Endpoint can do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
Pretty much any MDM will do that, including Profile Manager. There are options in either Restrictions or Finder (can't remember which) that can make drives mount read-only.

If the Macs won't have any internet connection at all to receive config profiles, you can export the profile as a file and apply it manually.