Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What are some simple ways to season chicken breast? I'm not doing thighs because I started doing a food log and I realized I'm getting about half my calories from fat.

Lemon juice and an herb like thyme or rosemary is nice.

e: there's also no shame in buying a McCormick's poultry seasoning or whatever, if you decide to make your own you can use that to figure out which of the flavors you want.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What are some simple ways to season chicken breast? I'm not doing thighs because I started doing a food log and I realized I'm getting about half my calories from fat.

Salt and pepper; tarragon; any sauce. What preparation method do you have in mind?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
wooooo almost forgot: teriyaki sauce. so tasty.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That Works posted:

Lemon, rosemary, garlic, salt, black pepper.

I have all of those things, awesome.

I did lemon thyme today and it was kind of bland. I tried putting some garlic in on top after that taste, and now it's not so bland, just kind of confused. Maybe I didn't use enough lemon or thyme?

Today I put it in a frying pan with olive oil. That's frying, right? I always associate frying with immersing it in oil. I also have some baking sheets and pyrex casserole dishes, I could bake it.

Fat is tasty, but my dietician is going to be up my rear end if I keep getting 50-60% of my calories from fat. Or do macro splits normally go by grams rather than calories?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Fat is tasty, but my dietician is going to be up my rear end if I keep getting 50-60% of my calories from fat. Or do macro splits normally go by grams rather than calories?

Calories, definitely.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I have all of those things, awesome.

I did lemon thyme today and it was kind of bland. I tried putting some garlic in on top after that taste, and now it's not so bland, just kind of confused. Maybe I didn't use enough lemon or thyme?

Today I put it in a frying pan with olive oil. That's frying, right? I always associate frying with immersing it in oil. I also have some baking sheets and pyrex casserole dishes, I could bake it.

Are you using enough salt?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Olive oil isn't the greatest frying oil because it has a low smoke point and frying with it nulls out a lot of its flavor but as long as you don't get it super-hot it should be ok, just expensive. If you're going to pan-fry chicken, canola or other cheaper oils should be fine. It's really just a medium of conducting heat into the food. Put a thin layer of oil in the pan, put it on the heat (not the highest setting) and just keep an eye on it and flip the chicken when it's cooked halfway up. Chicken is a good candidate for pan-frying because it's pretty obvious when it's cooked or raw just by looking. You can dice it into smaller pieces (and therefore faster cook time) if you want.

^^^^^^^
yes that, salt makes all the difference. you don't need to add enough to make it taste like salt, just enough that it tastes good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tg3-93jKvc

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 23, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I might not have put enough. I put maybe 1/3 tsp on .9lbs of chicken, just eyeballing it.

I've got some coconut oil non-stick spray that actually works really well, I might use that. I don't think I've got canola oil, just coconut, olive, and coconut spray. Should I pick up some canola?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If your big goal is to get your fat intake down. don't pan-fry it in fat.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I have a recipe that calls for salted, roasted peanuts but I could only buy salted. What temp/time should I roast them for to get what I'm after?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
About 20 minutes at 350F if they're already out of the shell. Make sure to move them around regularly so they roast evenly.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Will do thanks. I should have said they're shell less and the recipe calls for that

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SubG posted:

It's worthwhile to keep all the squishy stuff and just reduce it, as the seeds and the gelatinous membranes in the locular cavities are where most of the glutamate in a tomato are. If you just use the pericarp---the outer, fleshy part of the tomato---you won't get nearly as much flavour.
That I did not know and I bet it's going to come in handy before long!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm about to bake some mac & cheese and just realized that this leftover bacon would be delicious to include. If I fry it up a little, mix it in, and then bake the mixture, is the bacon going to get overcooked? Or should I just fry it up separately and sprinkle it over the fully-baked mac?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I might not have put enough. I put maybe 1/3 tsp on .9lbs of chicken, just eyeballing it.

I've got some coconut oil non-stick spray that actually works really well, I might use that. I don't think I've got canola oil, just coconut, olive, and coconut spray. Should I pick up some canola?

You don't need canola, olive oil will work just fine, you just need to be moderate with the heat so it doesn't burn. I just use canola so I have some 'slop' room in case I get lazy with the heat.

e: to clarify, I think of canola and vegetable and peanut oils as 'utility' frying oils and olive oil as a flavoring oil. Others may disagree. Frying in olive oil is OK, it just gets nasty at a lower temperature.

As Anne Whateley said though I guess frying isn't the ideal prep if you're specifically looking to cut down on fat. Broiling is good, do you have a toaster oven?

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 24, 2016

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

C-Euro posted:

I'm about to bake some mac & cheese and just realized that this leftover bacon would be delicious to include. If I fry it up a little, mix it in, and then bake the mixture, is the bacon going to get overcooked? Or should I just fry it up separately and sprinkle it over the fully-baked mac?

Mix that poo poo in! If you're a compulsive crisper (I've been accused by some people of burning my bacon), back off the doneness a little when you're frying. You're basically simmering it in fat once it's mixed in, so it stays quite pleasant at nearly any "normal" doneness.

Or mix some in and reserve some more well-done bacon for topping if you really want a crunch of crispy bacon in your casserole.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

I've not been answering that question for a reason.

Anything that needs to stay cold requires me to get a family member to help.

Oh ok well the only reason I asked is because a lot of meat will survive a couple of hours outside of the fridge just fine so if it's a 2hr bus ride it'd be fine and you could use an insulating bag.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Oh ok well the only reason I asked is because a lot of meat will survive a couple of hours outside of the fridge just fine so if it's a 2hr bus ride it'd be fine and you could use an insulating bag.

Especially if you make your stew within the next day or so and then stick it in something like
https://www.foodie.fi/entry/eskimo-0-75-l-pakastusrasia-5-kpl-mikronkestava/6418400072048
and put it in the freezer. Already-made dishes seem to stay good in the freezer much better than raw meat.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

spankmeister posted:

A bit of a touchy subject.

Let me tell you a story. Around the city I live in, we have our own accent. People think we have a lot of slang words, but this isn't true. Most of what outsiders think as slang words are just slurring completely ordinary words because if someone's a local, they're probably drunk. The word people think means "bus" in the local slang is actually just saying "about loving time" with the local accent.

The story above is entirely true and not the reason why I can't do it.

The reason I can't do it is because I need extremely frequent and sometimes extended breaks when shopping, and the bus trip requires several changes with our unpredictable bus service. With a car you can get there and back in five minutes, but making the trip by myself by bus I need to give myself six hours of time. The bus route requiring me to wait for four buses, walk quite a bit and turning a two-mile trip into a nine-mile trip don't help.

On the upside, I'm half a mile off a route a family member has to take weekly, so I can fill my freezer whenever he has the spare time.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

endlessmonotony posted:

Let me tell you a story. Around the city I live in, we have our own accent. People think we have a lot of slang words, but this isn't true. Most of what outsiders think as slang words are just slurring completely ordinary words because if someone's a local, they're probably drunk. The word people think means "bus" in the local slang is actually just saying "about loving time" with the local accent.

The reason I can't do it is because I need extremely frequent and sometimes extended breaks when shopping, and the bus trip requires several changes with our unpredictable bus service. With a car you can get there and back in five minutes, but making the trip by myself by bus I need to give myself six hours of time. The bus route requiring me to wait for four buses, walk quite a bit and turning a two-mile trip into a nine-mile trip don't help.

On the upside, I'm half a mile off a route a family member has to take weekly, so I can fill my freezer whenever he has the spare time.

Would it be an option to get a soft cooler bag, like this (they should have the same one on their Finnish site)? Those bags are lightweight and easy to pack when empty and with a a cooling block or two it can keep food cold for a good five or six hours, at least.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

In some places in the US, we have CSA (community-supported agriculture), which is basically a subscription service where you pay a farm a fee and they contract someone to deliver a variety of fresh produce and meats right to your door weekly. Is that available where you are?

I've found http://www.svarfvars.fi/ and http://labbynkauppa.net but I don't know what area you're in and your crazy moon language is incomprehensible to me so I don't know if those are good options or affordable or what.

Apparently CSA is also an acronym for 'child sexual assault' so googling 'finland csa' from here in Michigan is not terribly useful. You might have better luck with google.fi I guess.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 24, 2016

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

That sounds like such a pain in the rear end that I want to high five you for dealing with it. I saw someone suggested beans as a starting point for you, and I wanted to second that suggestion for you. Do you have access to bulk bins at your market or an ethnic market? You could even just buy bagged at the regular market, though bulk bins are way less expensive. I just turned thirty and after a doctor visit, I discovered what people call "cholesterol," so now I'm removing meat from my diet and discovering vegetarian cooking. I recently did a pound of pinto beans (three pounds for a dollar at my Hispanic market, but that's in the States). Beans are cheap, shelf stable, and keep indefinitely. The first batch of pinto beans I did was good and I used it as an entree. You could put them in tortillas for burritos but if your hand coordination is difficult, you could just eat them with a spoon like I did. Here's the recipe I used (gimme some leeway, guys, I JUST started cooking vegetarian): http://allrecipes.com/recipe/231037/pinto-beans-with-mexican-style-seasonings/

I cut out the bacon and used a lot more seasoning. I also added epazote, a Mexican herb to help with digestion and bean farts. This could be adapted to use your slow cooker but someone smarter than me would have to describe adapting the cooking time.

1 pound dried pinto beans, rinsed
2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chile peppers (such as Rotel)
1/2 pound bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 yellow onion, chopped (you can go REAL roughly chopped)
1 tablespoon chili powder, or to taste
1 tablespoon ground cumin, or to taste
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder, or to taste
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
Salt to taste

Place pinto beans into a large pot and pour in enough water to cover by 2 to 3 inches. Let beans soak overnight.
Drain beans, return to pot, and pour in fresh water to cover; add diced tomatoes, bacon, onion, chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 3 hours.
Stir cilantro and salt into bean mixture; simmer until beans are soft, about 1 more hour.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Okay, well, time to be really obvious about it.

Stop suggesting me ways to transport fresh things. With an insulated bag and an ice pack it's possible, but the bigger problem here is that I'm a loving cripple and it'll take all day and hurt like hell. It's rather simply something I won't do outside special occasions because of the pain.

That's also why it's a touchy subject, because "picking up fresh groceries" is something I need to dedicate an entire day to now.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

First off, salt. Make sure you salt. If bland, you probably need salt.

Second, did you actually brown the chicken (which is where you make flavor) or did you kind of let it heat through and get firm and turn opaque? You want it to actually brown over a high heat. You need only a small amount of oil to accomplish this. This is true for most things but especially for lean, less flavorful cuts. Chicken breast is generally bland if not aggressively seasoned and aggressively browned. Also, try brining them or even just salting them down well in advance to allow the seasoning to penetrate.

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 24, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

hogmartin posted:

As Anne Whateley said though I guess frying isn't the ideal prep if you're specifically looking to cut down on fat. Broiling is good, do you have a toaster oven?

I hadn't thought about that. How much fat really gets into the meat? It seems like 1tbsp of EVOO has 120 calories, so even if all of it got into the meat that's not huge. It's probably better I do it a different way, or with a lower calorie fat anyway. I don't have a toaster oven. I think my oven can broil, but it probably takes 15 minutes or so to get up to temp because it's older than I am.

E: I browned it. I had it on medium-high heat, and let the pan heat before I put it in.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Any tips for removing seeds from whole canned tomatoes? I made tomato soup yesterday, but the seeding of the whole tomatoes was easily half of my active time, which isn't what I want out of soup making.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Lawnie posted:

Any tips for removing seeds from whole canned tomatoes? I made tomato soup yesterday, but the seeding of the whole tomatoes was easily half of my active time, which isn't what I want out of soup making.

Get a $30 food mill. You can use it for seeding and mashing lots of things.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I hadn't thought about that. How much fat really gets into the meat? It seems like 1tbsp of EVOO has 120 calories, so even if all of it got into the meat that's not huge. It's probably better I do it a different way, or with a lower calorie fat anyway. I don't have a toaster oven. I think my oven can broil, but it probably takes 15 minutes or so to get up to temp because it's older than I am.

E: I browned it. I had it on medium-high heat, and let the pan heat before I put it in.

You can just roast the chicken breast, if you like. If the oven is at 180C, you can roast a 200g chicken breast in about 30m. I would recommend brushing the outside of the chicken in oil though, since that helps prevent the chicken from drying out!

In the end though, 1tbsp of oil used to pan fry a piece of meat isn't that big a deal at all. Your goal is to reduce your fat intake, not cut it out entirely. If you run the numbers for a male (female numbers are in brackets):

2500 KCal (2000) per day
25% should come from fat = 625 Kcal (500)
625 Kcal = ~70g (55) of fat

If you put 12g of fat into a frying pan, I'd guess only half of that is actually going to end up in your food, so you have a lot of room to spare.

I've been controlling my diet for the last year trying to lose weight, and it's really important not to go nuts, because you're supposed to be making changes you can stick to. I made the mistake of completely cutting out some things when I started, like added sugar, and it just made me miserable and made me spend all my time dreaming of the moment when my diet would finally be over and I could just eat cake again.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Gerblyn posted:

I use fresh mozzarella on pizza as well (I can't find the low water stuff in the store) and about an hour before I put the pizza in the oven, I chop the moz up and spread it over a plate covered in kitchen paper to absorb the water, with another sheet of kitchen paper on top. Every 15-20 minutes the paper is soaked through, so I transfer the cheese to a new plate, with dry sheets of kitchen paper. By the 3rd or 4th plate, most of the moisture is gone and you won't get puddles on top of your pizza. It's a bit of a pain, but the amount of water that comes out of the cheese otherwise is crazy.

Late one on the mozzachat but you can cut down on all that effort by just pressing it like a block of tofu. A thorough wringing in a clean cloth also works well if you're hungry right the gently caress now damnit and don't have baby noodle arms like me.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

endlessmonotony posted:

Okay, well, time to be really obvious about it.

Stop suggesting me ways to transport fresh things. With an insulated bag and an ice pack it's possible, but the bigger problem here is that I'm a loving cripple and it'll take all day and hurt like hell. It's rather simply something I won't do outside special occasions because of the pain.

That's also why it's a touchy subject, because "picking up fresh groceries" is something I need to dedicate an entire day to now.

Does Finland not have any sort of scheme where you can get help with this stuff? I know most countries have systems whereby carers can come in every day or a couple of times a week to help with shopping, cooking, cleaning, and so on. Maybe try calling this organisation for some advice about getting a carer. I am struggling to search for Finnish resources, being in the UK, but I see ruoka.net being mentioned as somewhere that groceries can be ordered online.

Are you unable to ask family for more help? I understand that not everyone has a great relationship with their clan but it would seem pretty lovely for nobody to offer to help you now you face such severe challenges.

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 24, 2016

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Bollock Monkey posted:

Does Finland not have any sort of scheme where you can get help with this stuff? I know most countries have systems whereby carers can come in every day or a couple of times a week to help with shopping, cooking, cleaning, and so on. Maybe try calling this organisation for some advice about getting a carer. I am struggling to search for Finnish resources, being in the UK, but I see ruoka.net being mentioned as somewhere that groceries can be ordered online.

Are you unable to ask family for more help? I understand that not everyone has a great relationship with their clan but it would seem pretty lovely for nobody to offer to help you now you face such severe challenges.

Go gently caress yourself.

I'm asking for recipes, not condescending bullshit from people who don't have a loving clue about my region or situation.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

endlessmonotony posted:

Go gently caress yourself.

I'm asking for recipes, not condescending bullshit from people who don't have a loving clue about my region or situation.

Pretty sure he was just trying to be helpful.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I apologise if you felt that was condescending. Ultimately it is hard to come up with recipes that don't involve any fresh ingredients or cooking. I understand that your situation is lovely, and that it must be incredibly frustrating, but I think a lot of people have tried to help as best they can and it's become obvious that we can't give you the information you're after. So, yeah, I was just trying to expand the search for something that could help you out more than the folk in this thread.

And cheers, Flash Gordon Ramsay! Though I am a lady. Easy mistake to make.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Pretty sure he was just trying to be helpful.

I don't know how to be more obvious that I do not want help regarding my physical limitations. I do not want help finding more places to shop. I do not want help regarding keeping things cool. I don't want half-assed guesses about potentially available services. I want to hear if people have recipes I can use within the constraints I have. I'm pretty sure I'm aware of literally every thing a goon could think about given the scarce details I've given, and in attempting to not be rude about it I've allowed it to drag on for several posts more than I like. I'm not in GWS for advice on my physical conditions or pity, and I was originally wondering if I should post at all - not because I'm ashamed about my body being a marionette built by Frankenstein, but because people tend to be really loving dumb about unwanted "help" regarding issues they don't know gently caress about.

Recipes. Assuming I'm a halfwit who can't do the first steps in researching my own situation does not help me cook tasty food, which is what I want.

Foodie allows me to make an itemized shopping list with exact names, prices and availability info (when it isn't out of date, which happens every other trip), so I can grab anything there, and cook at my leisure assuming it's something that survives the freezer. I'd say it's the best choice, but frankly, it's the only game in town. You can safely assume that's what's available, and stop trying to guess otherwise.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

I don't know how to be more obvious that I do not want help regarding my physical limitations. I do not want help finding more places to shop. I do not want help regarding keeping things cool. I don't want half-assed guesses about potentially available services. I want to hear if people have recipes I can use within the constraints I have. I'm pretty sure I'm aware of literally every thing a goon could think about given the scarce details I've given, and in attempting to not be rude about it I've allowed it to drag on for several posts more than I like. I'm not in GWS for advice on my physical conditions or pity, and I was originally wondering if I should post at all - not because I'm ashamed about my body being a marionette built by Frankenstein, but because people tend to be really loving dumb about unwanted "help" regarding issues they don't know gently caress about.

Recipes. Assuming I'm a halfwit who can't do the first steps in researching my own situation does not help me cook tasty food, which is what I want.

Foodie allows me to make an itemized shopping list with exact names, prices and availability info (when it isn't out of date, which happens every other trip), so I can grab anything there, and cook at my leisure assuming it's something that survives the freezer. I'd say it's the best choice, but frankly, it's the only game in town. You can safely assume that's what's available, and stop trying to guess otherwise.

"Halfwit" is a derogatory term for a retard. You are a bigot, check yourself.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Google recipes.

Very independent, no need to deal with us.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

I can't speak for anyone else here, but personally I'm not taking you on as a charity case, I'm trying to come up with ways you can cook given the challenges you've told me. So the slow cooker, because there's no stove and you can leave it for a few hours. Then farm delivery, because you said yourself that getting fresh groceries is an ordeal.

I'm not trying to condescend or 'coddle the cripple' for my own gratification, I hope you understand that.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

endlessmonotony posted:

There are a million ways you can be firm about what kind of advice you want and do not want without telling someone to go gently caress themselves. Bollock Monkey's reply might've been naive and overreaching to you, but it was also polite and clearly just trying to be helpful.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
It's okay to be mad. You don't want to deal with the bus. I think a lot of people are wondering about that because in your first or second post, you mentioned bus trips as a limiting factor. It's great that you can get friends and family to do the shopping. Did you want that modified chili recipe or is it not to your tastes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Suspect Bucket posted:

It's okay to be mad. You don't want to deal with the bus. I think a lot of people are wondering about that because in your first or second post, you mentioned bus trips as a limiting factor. It's great that you can get friends and family to do the shopping. Did you want that modified chili recipe or is it not to your tastes?

I do actually like chili, and a large variety of recipes is good.