Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Raiding for 20 hours a week was really cool in highschool and college. You know 8 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It was never cool, you were just too young and stupid to know better.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Rhymenoserous posted:

Turns out this is just some investment firms forecasts. The actual quarterly numbers don't come out till next month. Or so it's being reported. Probably just nerd delusion.

I'm gonna guess that investment firms have at least ballpark numbers for this kind of thing.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Rexicon1 posted:

I'm gonna guess that investment firms have at least ballpark numbers for this kind of thing.

I'd have more confidence in a bank analysis than ncsoft saying it will be fine anyway.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Asimo posted:

Yeah at no point have I ever logged into WoW to impress girls.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Rhymenoserous posted:

Yeah at no point have I ever logged into WoW to impress girls.

Well, you did but it was really a guy.

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!
Ther'es more or less an AMA going on at neogaf right now with former carbine employees and it's basically verifiying (along with some other stuff) the leaks from inside the company a year ago on how inept and disorganized Carbine was with monthly patches and just content in general.

My favorite quote:

quote:

I was actually pretty optimistic honestly. The game had a lot of potential however most of it was bungled by decisions of higher up. Like, I simply cannot emphasize just HOW much mismanagement and egos and plain incompetence ruined the game.

The game has some great content, new, fresh ideas, but it was like giving the keys of a Ferrari to Hellen Keller.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
no you see being fired from blizz or quitting due to differences of opinion with the most successful mmo in history makes you a skilled industry veteran with good ideas

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

noELrunes posted:

Ther'es more or less an AMA going on at neogaf right now with former carbine employees and it's basically verifiying (along with some other stuff) the leaks from inside the company a year ago on how inept and disorganized Carbine was with monthly patches and just content in general.

My favorite quote:

At least share the link.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Asimo posted:

If having fun isn't cool then I don't want to be cool.

shwag
Apr 23, 2008
[quote="Holyshoot" post="455275854"]
Most well adjusted adults waste more time watching TV 10 hours is hardly a waste. And lmfao if you need 10 hours a week to do normals. Literally 3 hours a week on a Sunday. Sorry you suck at time management :shrug:

Every time someone uses this to tell ppl it's just the same I shake my head , 3 hours of TV and 3 hours of raiding are not the same thing in the slightest. Once someone becomes a well adjusted adult they see the difference. I can pause the TV if I need to leave or get up , or if some weird thing happens like someone comes by to ask if I want to go out to eat ect. What happens if your buddy comes by when your raiding internet dragons , nope sorry bob can't go eat gotta stay here and kill internet dragons even though i'm a grown rear end person I can't tell them I want to go out and have fun or maybe I just don't feel like raiding the same thing for the 37th time. Nope have to schedule my life around a video game instead of ever just saying you know what I don't want to play tonight I would rather just do something else. Hell if the smoke detector goes off most raiders will just check it after the boss dies because , commitments to a game.

TV time or any other activity most of the time is not like raiding in an actual guild.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

At least share the link.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1173078
is neogaf any good btw?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

On the one hand they've avoided the megathread dominance that plagues SA, but on the other hand no it isn't.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

For stuff like this, sure, whatever, they're just sourcing a news article about a report Daewoo Securities released which include the published financials of NCSoft for the year that just passed. I still find a few of the numbers voodoo - I'd like to know just what Lineage 1 is doing to continue fostering growth of that sort in Korea, and barring things getting disastrous, the NA response to BnS should see that number go up a decent bit - but the trend for Wildstar is dire, and I simply don't see it getting to that 0 result at the end of this year, especially with Daewoo publishing the report publicly. NCSoft is going to be under a lot of investor pressure to just cut the loss machine loose.

Honestly, I'm a little surprised it hasn't happened already. This company's NA branch doesn't really have a history of tolerating failure. (edit: that's not harshing on Cyster or anyone honestly trying to turn this thing around, btw, NCSoft just really does have A History with its western partner devs and being uniquely intolerant of poor performance or perceived poor performance from these studios' games)

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 23, 2016

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
What is it that keeps Lineage 1 so alive and profitable? Is it a WoW-style sunk cost fallacy (sunk time fallacy)?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Pierson posted:

What is it that keeps Lineage 1 so alive and profitable? Is it a WoW-style sunk cost fallacy (sunk time fallacy)?

Being an almost 20 year old 2D isometric game likely means it is very cheap to produce new content and that you can play it on extremely outdated hardware. I am sure there is enough of a dedicated player base/whales that to keep the game making bank. Also kMMOs tend to turn a blind eye to botters/RMT so those accounts inflate the numbers as well.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

shwag posted:

Every time someone uses this to tell ppl it's just the same I shake my head , 3 hours of TV and 3 hours of raiding are not the same thing in the slightest. Once someone becomes a well adjusted adult they see the difference. I can pause the TV if I need to leave or get up , or if some weird thing happens like someone comes by to ask if I want to go out to eat ect. What happens if your buddy comes by when your raiding internet dragons , nope sorry bob can't go eat gotta stay here and kill internet dragons even though i'm a grown rear end person I can't tell them I want to go out and have fun or maybe I just don't feel like raiding the same thing for the 37th time. Nope have to schedule my life around a video game instead of ever just saying you know what I don't want to play tonight I would rather just do something else. Hell if the smoke detector goes off most raiders will just check it after the boss dies because , commitments to a game.

TV time or any other activity most of the time is not like raiding in an actual guild.

Not only this, but if you skip out on fighting that internet dragon to go do real life poo poo, half the time the people you were going to do it with get lovely about it and punish you for not helping them. Leave in the middle of a raid or miss one? 'Well we put you further down on the list' or some other passive aggressive bullshit. Hilariously, it also applies on the RP side of things; if you don't attend their scheduled plot events or whatever enough times, they just stop interacting with you.

Netflix isn't gonna prevent you from watching Daredevil or whatever because Tim came over and wanted to hang out, but if raiding is important to you, there is the threat that you might not get to raid with the same people if you bail on them. And most people playing, that's a big deterrent and changes how they view the interactions.

MH Knights posted:

Being an almost 20 year old 2D isometric game likely means it is very cheap to produce new content and that you can play it on extremely outdated hardware. I am sure there is enough of a dedicated player base/whales that to keep the game making bank. Also kMMOs tend to turn a blind eye to botters/RMT so those accounts inflate the numbers as well.

I remember reading an article ages ago about how part of it is also that Korean internet cafes tend to have multiple Lineage accounts per computer or some poo poo, since people can just drop in, pay the fee to play, and leave.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Games like Lineage survive because they are simple and dumb and people stick with it and play with friends. But companies like Blizzard and Carbine try to get people hooked into aspirational content, which just don't work in video games. The status minded players that complain the loudest about being the best and balance and rewards really don't represent the silent hordes of players that just want to dick around. Those players just play a new game.

temple fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 23, 2016

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

John Dyne posted:

Not only this, but if you skip out on fighting that internet dragon to go do real life poo poo, half the time the people you were going to do it with get lovely about it and punish you for not helping them. Leave in the middle of a raid or miss one? 'Well we put you further down on the list' or some other passive aggressive bullshit. Hilariously, it also applies on the RP side of things; if you don't attend their scheduled plot events or whatever enough times, they just stop interacting with you.

MMO raiding is lovely and all, but it's perfectly reasonable to give someone lower priority if they have a history of bailing midway through/not showing and leaving the entire raid hanging. It's not surprising that games with structures that force these kinds of situations are dying.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

The Moon Monster posted:

MMO raiding is lovely and all, but it's perfectly reasonable to give someone lower priority if they have a history of bailing midway through/not showing and leaving the entire raid hanging. It's not surprising that games with structures that force these kinds of situations are dying.

I can understand that, but there's a difference in flaking and having a real life, and a lot of gamers can't grasp that difference. I had a friend who enjoyed raiding and was trying to raid, but had recently had a baby. You can probably guess how that ended up; he was good at his role but I remember one of the officers saying 'he shouldn't even be trying to raid if he has a baby,' because he'd miss some trash or one or two bosses.

I was also once dropped by a raiding group because I didn't bring alts to farming runs on non-progression content, to get them geared up 'just in case we need them.' Raiders can be loving fickle and take their poo poo way too seriously. But that can be applied to just about any sub-section of MMO player. :v:

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

John Dyne posted:

I can understand that, but there's a difference in flaking and having a real life, and a lot of gamers can't grasp that difference. I had a friend who enjoyed raiding and was trying to raid, but had recently had a baby. You can probably guess how that ended up; he was good at his role but I remember one of the officers saying 'he shouldn't even be trying to raid if he has a baby,' because he'd miss some trash or one or two bosses.

I was also once dropped by a raiding group because I didn't bring alts to farming runs on non-progression content, to get them geared up 'just in case we need them.' Raiders can be loving fickle and take their poo poo way too seriously. But that can be applied to just about any sub-section of MMO player. :v:

relevant

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611265

Queen Elizatits posted:

Oh you loving piece of poo poo Wojtek how dare you. Come in here whining for sympathy why don't you tell people the real reason you don't have any time?

For anyone who feels sorry for this rear end in a top hat he plays WoW a good 7-10 hours a day everyday. When his first kid was born, like literally crowning out of his wife's vagina, he had his laptop in the hospital and started bitching about the latency and got kicked from the raid because the raid leader couldn't believe he was missing his kid's birth. Not a single word of that is an exaggeration.

He used to play mainly with Goon Squad but he just server transferred because we weren't serious enough. How often do you actually raid a night now Woj, four hours I think you said?

gently caress you. Those poor poor dogs. You are a terrible person and you should feel bad. And you should feel bad for neglecting your kids too but I'm sure you don't.

I worked for an animal shelter for 10 years and people like you make me sick to my stomach.

I hope every time you find a toy they left behind or a stray dog hair you remember you had two animals that loved you unconditionally and you were their world. And you gave that up for purple pixels in a video game. And I hope you understand that it is incredibly traumatic for dogs to be rehomed no matter how great the rescue is and all they know now is they are sad and afraid and they want you to come get them.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

:staredog:

And that is the type of person Carbine was targeting with Wildstar.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

John Dyne posted:

yeah there were a few times I made people leave raids because they were putting a loving video game over their own child. at least wojtek's wife is one of the most ridiculously submissive people on the planet so she takes care of reality while he grinds wow pets all day (I am being completely unironic about this)

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

hahaha what the gently caress

Edit: raids are still bad and will always be bad

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 24, 2016

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

John Dyne posted:

I was at a raid back in the day when one of the Priests stepped out for a bit because his wife was on cycle and he had to go try and get her pregnant again. :v:

Mysteriously, she logged onto his account and deleted his characters a few days after that.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
lol wotjek got posted in this thread. I love how that all played out.

temple posted:

Games like Lineage survive because they are simple and dumb and people stick with it and play with friends. But companies like Blizzard and Carbine try to get people hooked into aspirational content, which just don't work in video games. The status minded players that complain the loudest about being the best and balance and rewards really don't represent the silent hordes of players that just want to dick around. Those players just play a new game.

Someone posting in here unironically that the blizzard method doesn't work is kinda astounding. Blizzard could toss WoW in maintinence mode and will have made more money than any other 10 "Top MMO's" put together.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jan 24, 2016

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I'd be curious to see that since WoW already sheds a million or so subs every year-long drought. Without an expansion on the horizon I wonder just how long the game would last.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Rhymenoserous posted:

Someone posting in here unironically that the blizzard method doesn't work is kinda astounding. Blizzard could toss WoW in maintinence mode and will have made more money than any other 10 "Top MMO's" put together.
A fairer statement is probably more like "the blizzard method doesn't work in tyool 2015". There hasn't been a game that's really succeeded with a raid-heavy focus since, well, WoW itself, and even WoW's been bleeding subs for years now and holds on due to simple scale and inertia. The formula succeeded once, but it sure won't succeed again.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
So everyone's life is to busy to block out 3 hours for anything? My roommate plays softball with his work every Thursday night for 3 hours or so. That's a team of 15-20 people doing something where they rely on the other person. Is he not a well adjusted adult?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Hey, so I figured while I poopsock my main MMO, I might dabble in this a bit just to see the later game stuff before it gets shut down. Made a Mechari Medic on the PvE Server named Hydumia Octospark (thanks, random name generator!) I'm only level 2 so it's not an issue yet but I'm a tad apprehensive about trying group content in this game because it sounds like the community in general really buy into that "HARDCORE CUPCAKE" dumb bullshit the devs were pushing and I figure I'll get immediately chewed out and kicked from groups for being new and not automatically knowing how everything in every dungeon works.

But if any nice cool goons see me in game, please send me a tell and stuff.

I did play beta a bit and I really liked the combat. The questing was painfully generic and turned me off a bit but... Man I really like the combat :allears:.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jan 24, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Even if B&S completely tapers off next month it'll probably still generate more revenue than WS. At like 1/100 or less of the cost.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Rhymenoserous posted:

WoW doesn't even follow the WoW model any more.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Holyshoot posted:

So everyone's life is to busy to block out 3 hours for anything? My roommate plays softball with his work every Thursday night for 3 hours or so. That's a team of 15-20 people doing something where they rely on the other person. Is he not a well adjusted adult?

Yes there is a big difference between a social physical activity and raiding. Not saying you can't raid and be a well adjusted adult but the odds are against it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Holyshoot posted:

Depends. Does he do it to have fun, have a couple of beverages with his friends, and doesn't care if someone strikeouts(lol, striking out in softball)? Then yes, he is a well adjusted adult in that regard.

Or does he show up dressed like he plays SS for the Yankees, have 5+ bats, and tries to get anyone kicked off the team who drops a ball? Then he is not a well adjusted adult.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Mattavist posted:

Yes there is a big difference between a social physical activity and raiding. Not saying you can't raid and be a well adjusted adult but the odds are against it.
And a similarly big difference between actually literally doing stuff with human beings in person, and lurking alone in a dark room killing internet dragons with spergs addicted to a video game.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Holyshoot posted:

Because 15 adults living in the same city and working at the same job with similar schedules is exactly like arranging a raid with people from all across the country in a variety of careers.

Part of the reason I stopped raiding back in Cata was I worked retail at the time; I was a manager, so my schedule would differ crazily week to week. If I was closing, well, the store closed at 9 central and then we had to straighten up and get tasks done, so I might not have been home until 10 PM. And next day I may have had to go in at 6 AM as the opening shift. That weekday raid run by the guy in Washington starting at 8 PM was typically JUST starting as I was getting home from work, and then blocking out 3 hours when I might have to work the next morning? Nope.

Raiding can be fun but it's not like a bunch of guys getting together and playing softball and having a few beers. Those guys are gonna laugh it off and have a beer no matter how it goes; it's recreational time they've all agreed on. No such thing with that raid, unless you've hit the veritable jackpot. Because that softball game is not gonna be held up if someone gets frustrated that they can't hit a pitch they usually hit every other week and make everyone keep trying that pitch until it's hit right. But you stymie on a boss that you've downed before and everyone gets frustrated. You end the night not able to beat that boss, and people are gonna be upset. No one's gonna give a poo poo Earl missed a curveball when he usually hits those curveballs, and Earl is gonna be invited back next week just dandy; someone's gonna chew out Elfhunterr the elf druid for loving up their rotation or something, and might find themselves benched so they can go play softball next week.

There is very little in regards to real life activities the average person is gonna do that is comparable to raiding. Even tabletop RPGs can't really be compared because if something goes wrong you can start where you left out next week or go a different route, since the fact you have to go through literally everything up to that point AGAIN if something goes wrong isn't dangling over your head.

Asimo posted:

And a similarly big difference between actually literally doing stuff with human beings in person, and lurking alone in a dark room killing internet dragons with spergs addicted to a video game.

This also affects people's temperaments and how much bullshit they're willing to take. If Earl at the baseball game threw a shitfit over someone missing a pitch, no one would let him order everyone to try it again until it's done right, because everyone is there for fun. Earl'd get his rear end uninvited and kicked off the field and people would have a beer and go 'jeez what crawled up HIS rear end.' If Earl's uninvited, he can still show up and apologize and participate, and if not he can watch the game.

Elfhunterr, though? He can rail on everyone in the loving raid for being idiots and most people are gonna keep their heads down because they want to get poo poo done and get their new pants and be done with it for this time around. Someone leaves cause he's abusive? They just grab someone else. People are gonna talk about how much they dislike him behind his back but since he controls who gets an invite and who doesn't, no one's gonna call him out to his face. And no one is gonna risk asking too many people to form something new in case they snitch, and gently caress it, who wants to go to the trouble of organizing all this poo poo ANYWAYS?

Raiding is more like a lovely, part-time, entry level job than it is having fun, at least in my eyes.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 24, 2016

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Ah, the ol raiding is just like softball defense. Classic.

And wrong.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Gotta justify your emotional addiction to digital numbers after all.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Anoia posted:

Ah, the ol raiding is just like softball defense. Classic.

And wrong.

ahh the old "everyone raiding hates their lives and cant stop when they want" .
So wrong

You guys must have raided in some lovely raid groups. 3 hours a week doing normals/heroics is about as casual and who gives a gently caress you can get. Just like playing softball with your work every Thursday. I'm not talking about the 20 hour a week try hard. But keep on thinking I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Holyshoot posted:

You guys must have raided in some lovely raid groups. 3 hours a week doing normals/heroics is about as casual and who gives a gently caress you can get. Just like playing softball with your work every Thursday. I'm not talking about the 20 hour a week try hard. But keep on thinking I am.
So wrong

If enough people are complaining about the same poo poo with raiding, and you haven't seen ANY of that EVER in your raiding career, then maybe you're the outlier?

Though I realize I'm also talking about poo poo like doing Cata and MoP raiding and I don't know if the WoD raids are so ridiculously easy at this point that they aren't much different from LFR. Last I remember Heroic was the hardest difficulty, and I think I might've been mixing that up with Mythic.

• Locked thread