Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Your Computer posted:

I see. Thanks!

I know I'm rapid-firing these dumb questions today but the game's fresh enough that google isn't much help. I suppose this will be the last one for today;
at what point (if ever) do enemies start taking more than 1-2 seconds to kill?

It's kinda dizzying playing a Summoner, because I have a million skills and no matter what I click on the enemy dies before I can blink. Mind you I'm still very low level. Maybe it slows down when it becomes harder to upgrade the Hongmoon weapon?

World bosses and green-portal (or higher) dungeon bosses will generally take a fair bit longer to kill. One of the reasons you're so powerful while leveling is the hongmoon weapon progression was streamlined awhile back and so it tends to be more powerful than it used to be for the level ranges each step of the evolution is intended for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whats the haps yo
Feb 25, 2009

I am the Emperor, and I want dumplings.

Tyshalob posted:

How is anyone even logging in? I've wanted to take a look at this dumb anime game all day and have yet to be able to log in.

A lot of people are paying the $5 for the student bundle pack and getting a week of premium that way, which lets you skip the queue somewhat. I'm broke so generally I log in earlier in the day and wait out the queue, after some trial and error I've pretty much figured out that if I start the queue at 4pm EST I will be logging in sometime around 11pm. Today I was able to log on with no wait at all, probably because of all the server issues they're having. If you're not willing to pay the $5 right now just give it a week or two, the population will start dying soon. I think they also added two more NA servers today so that should help with wait times.

Marceline Abadeer
Oct 14, 2012
Is Shanghai Goon still full?

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
The combat system really is fantastic, I'm looking forward to trying PvP at lvl45 on my Blade Dancer.

Hopefully the PvP crowd and the T&A crowd can provide enough staying power to prevent the game from going ghost town in a few months or so.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I wish you could use the character creator while waiting in queue. This suuuuucks.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

What's the status of the Old Man Cho guild? I'm gonna make a KFM so I'll put it on a second server so I can be in two goon groups at once.

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009

Marceline Abadeer posted:

Is Shanghai Goon still full?

It is. I was going to make room today but was suddenly hit by a 12 hour shift. Maybe tomorrow!

I believe there is an overflow guild lurking around somewhere on Mushin though.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

What's the status of the Old Man Cho guild? I'm gonna make a KFM so I'll put it on a second server so I can be in two goon groups at once.

Last I looked there was still like 15 spots open but the servers have been hosed during my play periods so might be less now.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Is the old man cho guild red side? It wouldn't let me join because it was full, so I went with blue not knowing the guild restriction thing.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yes it is, and you can usually join even if the faction is full if you just try a few times for future reference. You can also switch sides for like 6 or 7 silver at some point.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I was like #1031 two hours ago and now I'm #543 so woo :toot:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just tried KFM and oh my god :aaa: I deliberately didn't upgrade my weapon so fights would last longer, because god drat does it feel good to combo.

Too bad Lyn can't be KFM, so I'm giving it a 0/10. Trash.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
What do I do now that I'm 45, I feel so lost

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

kznlol posted:

No, you don't.

Keys come primarily from quest rewards, particularly dailies. For the Stalker weapon just buy yours off of the market - later on you can't do that and thats when you'll want the keys.

I kept looking at the Market tonight and every time I did it just said 'this service is temporarily unavaliable' and i'm approaching level 15 with a rank 5 hongmoon because I'm lacking the stalker axe. What should I do?

kznlol
Feb 9, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

I kept looking at the Market tonight and every time I did it just said 'this service is temporarily unavaliable' and i'm approaching level 15 with a rank 5 hongmoon because I'm lacking the stalker axe. What should I do?

I forgot that the market is exploding. It probably isn't a big deal, but you might end up running out of keys later on which will be annoying (probably not, I opened poo poo and never ran out, but I had the enormous preorder rewards and stuff too).

Does anyone know if there's a benefit to having guild ratings above 4 for crafting? 4 gives access to the 45-50 zone (I think), and nothing is listed for higher levels, but the progress bar doesn't stop at 4.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Has anyone in the EU played on the NA and then tried out playing on EU server or vice versa? I am currently on the EU server despite living in America, thanks to some friends, and I am wondering if it is the lag or if I am just awful at playing BM. So wandering if anyone has seen the difference that cross pond lag could create. At least EU servers have been very queue free.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 24, 2016

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lusung is a big baby and I can't wait to beat him up.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Eimi posted:

Has anyone in the EU played on the NA and then tried out playing on EU server or vice versa? I am currently on the EU server despite living in America, thanks to some friends, and I am wondering if it is the lag or if I am just awful at playing BM. So wandering if anyone has seen the difference that cross pond lag could create. At least EU servers have been very queue free.
Due to the actiony and fast paced nature of the combat, B&S is very ping dependent. You can choose certain classes to minimize the impact of ping, but it's hard to avoid regardless.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Finally got the game downloaded, but now it is asking for a character pin, I've tried changing it on the NCsoft website like 5 times and it still wont work.
Edit: Fixed it by removing my old wildstar 2factor I had.

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jan 24, 2016

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.

chumbler posted:

Lusung is a big baby and I can't wait to beat him up.

Related: is anyone else getting more hype about this story than they feel like they ought to for an MMO?

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Clairetic posted:

Related: is anyone else getting more hype about this story than they feel like they ought to for an MMO?
Absolutely. I know it's Wuxia cheese, but I really want to wreck Lusang's poo poo. Same goes for that assassin chick in the evil entourage, but that may be because my PC is an assassin and she's acting like she's better than me :shrug:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Amante posted:

Absolutely. I know it's Wuxia cheese, but I really want to wreck Lusang's poo poo. Same goes for that assassin chick in the evil entourage, but that may be because my PC is an assassin and she's acting like she's better than me :shrug:

Well I mean she is.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

chumbler posted:

Well I mean she is.
Only due to a binary, story-based level advantage. When the time comes, I will WRECK HER poo poo.

Edit:

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

It's gonna be great when the big bad lady tries to do that black rose cut on me again and just gets counter iron shoulder leg sweep headbutted like a chump. All while I'm just yelling NERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD

Amante fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 24, 2016

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Clairetic posted:

It's because wuxia stories are fuckin great, and if you skip past it then you just hate fun.

Amante posted:

Only due to a binary, story-based level advantage. When the time comes, I will WRECK HER poo poo.

It's gonna be great when the big bad lady tries to do that black rose cut on me again and just gets counter iron shoulder leg sweep headbutted like a chump. All while I'm just yelling NERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Anyone have any tips for a rotation/build for leveling FM?

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Your Computer posted:

I see. Thanks!

I know I'm rapid-firing these dumb questions today but the game's fresh enough that google isn't much help. I suppose this will be the last one for today;
at what point (if ever) do enemies start taking more than 1-2 seconds to kill?

It's kinda dizzying playing a Summoner, because I have a million skills and no matter what I click on the enemy dies before I can blink. Mind you I'm still very low level. Maybe it slows down when it becomes harder to upgrade the Hongmoon weapon?

I'm still murdering everything in like 1-2 seconds, and I'm level 32 now so... it might not switch for overworld trash? Sunflower is kind of bonkers.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
You can't upgrade your weapon anymore after 36 (well... you can but you won't have the money for it) so it slows down quite a bit through Act 3. You can still mostly murder mobs but bosses start having significant HP bars.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Clairetic posted:

soul shields are your armor basically. there are 8 wedges. You can't 'rotate' them. They give set bonuses at 3, 5, and 8 pieces (so you can mix 3+5 of two different sets if you like the 3-piece of one set better than the 8-piece of another set).

The Jiangshi ones give you an achievement if you equip all 8 of them so keep killing the jiangshi guy after clearing the area and getting red droplets to spin the wheel for soul shield pieces until you have 8/8. I dunno if there is an achievement for completing any other ones; the blackram set doesn't.

You can salvage soul shield pieces for a chance to get yellow dust which you use to fuse soul shield pieces. Fusing them isn't dependent on the angle of the piece, so e.g. you can fuse a <| piece with a ^ one. The primary piece in the fusion gets a 3rd stat based on the non-hp stat of the fusion material (so fusing a Jiangshi piece with a Blackram Critical piece will add a small crit boost to the jiangshi piece.) By this method you will basically burn through every soul shield piece that you get.

crafting: You get 2 gathering and 2 crafting profs. You want them like this basically:
simpler: pick one of these two builds.
Herbalism+Fishing -> Medicines+Talismans.
Mining+Stonecutting -> Jewelry+Blacksmithing.
pain in the butt: try to juggle these.
Two of Woodcutting+Harvesting+Trapping -> two of Soul Shields + Pottery + Cooking

Gathering and Crafting both work by paying people to do work for you.
You gain new options for gathering by finding it in the world. It's pretty straightforward and tells you where to find them.
You gain new options for crafting by increasing your rep with that crafting guild, which happens by ordering them to do stuff. Also very straightforward.

Someone who knows more than me please correct me if I'm wrong and also let me know if any other sets have collection cheevs.

Thanks a lot, I know a bit more what to do now.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
I want to try out the Destroyer, but the female gon stationary stance is loving stupid looking, and I already have a male Gon KFM

kznlol
Feb 9, 2013

fadam posted:

Anyone have any tips for a rotation/build for leveling FM?

Grab anything that reduces focus costs, anything that regens focus (which is almost always going to be regen on crit), lifesteal later on (which is only on the frost side of things), and hammer every button as fast as you can, basically.

Do pay attention to the skill points though - when there are multiple columns you can often turn a skill into something completely different, like you can either make your 2 wider, make it daze, or make it single target. Making the X instant cast is highly recommended.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
For those excited by the story, be very hype for the upcoming 50 patch and subsequent story there. Assuming they gave us the (better) CN version that ended up being put into KR anyways and not the original KR version, poo poo gets exceedingly real

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Lemming posted:

What do I do now that I'm 45, I feel so lost

Well the first obvious suggestion is arena PvP since that requires no setup or anything and you can do it as much as you want! Get good!

PvE wise, you'll want to start doing a couple things so you can continue upgrading your weapon:
  • East Fleet Supply Chain (Poharan 24man) dailies. This is an "open-world" instance so you just run in and kill stuff and the bosses will respawn on a timer and such. There's a dude outside who gives a ton of dailies, then go in the instance and follow people around or try and find a group and get the dailies done. Poharan herself takes a bit to spawn, I believe you have to kill each of the other bosses 3 times. You can easily get like 3 gold from all of these dailies.

• Blackram Supply Chain (Poharan 6/4man) daily. 6man is easy mode, so do this for awhile to get used to it and farm up the purple Blackram soul shield set. Try to get crit on as many pieces as you can, all of them should be able to roll it except 3. Then you can do 4man if you want for a chance at some cool costume stuff off Poharan herself. 4man is "hard mode" and has much higher damage though, and removes all the aoe indicators and boss ability timing help, so you gotta get good. Just hop in dungeon lobby (F8) and get it done, you should be able to get the daily in the staging area before entering after your group is formed.

• Misty Woods PvP dailies. Put on your faction outfit and head to your side's base in Misty Woods (once you put on the outfit you can see PvP dailies on your map as well as PvP specific windstride points at the bases). You'll need to be at least rank 2 in your faction to get these, so you may need to go back to the desert in Cinderlands and do a few pvp dailies there to rank up first. The reason these dailies are so important is they provide Soulstones, which you will need a TON of for both weapon evolution and crafting. At any rate, do all the Misty Woods quests you can (the Blackwyrm one is kind of impossible to do right now on Mushin because red side is completely uncoordinated). The quests will give you a choice between a set amount of soulstones or a "soulstone pouch" that gives a random amount of 1-4. If for whatever reason you get off on RNG then I guess you could get the pouch, but it usually fucks you over so it's better to go with the set amount. Then go to the base on the beach in Hogshead Pastures and there will be 2 more dailies to do there for more soulstones.

• (Optional)At some point you may want to look for a group on your faction that is farming the named enemy base NPCs that spawn every 10 minutes or so in Misty Woods if you're killing the quest NPCs in the base. These guys drop seals that you can use to buy the Moonwater Arena Soul Shield set which is a great world pvp set as it has a ton of health and defensive stats. It costs 120 seals for the whole set. Piece 2 is guarenteed crit, Piece 6 can roll crit. You can also get your faction's elite outfit (like the fancy fur coat for Red) for 100 seals.

• The "Big 4" dungeon dailies. These are the four level 45 blue dungeons: Skittering Tunnels, Brightstone Ruins, Hall of Ogong, The Pigsty. Same with Poh 6, just hop in the dungeon lobby, grab the daily there, and run em. If you get lucky the Merry Potters recipe will drop and people will bid out of their fuckin minds (we're talking 30-50 gold and sometimes higher) and then you can GET MONEY. Or if you're a potter you could try and get the recipe so you can make the refiners for Moonwater Transformation Stones but in that case I hope you have money in the first place. These dailies also give a fairly hefty amount of silver.

Anyway, that's about it for now, other than farming stuff for your favorite costumes. At some point we'll have Hongmoon levels and quests for the Hongmoon skills so you'll have those to do as well. Fairly soon we should have Nightshade/Bloodshade Harbor (another 24/6/4 dungeon set) and you'll be able to evolve your weapon past Siren. After that comes Spiral Labyrinth and then it will be time for 50cap and more leveling and a shitton of new dungeons.

Hopefully that was helpful. I'll stick it in the OP even though I'm pretty sure nobody reads it. :argh:

edit: Oh yeah http://bns.endgame.pk/ is a good site for info on future weapon evolutions and what they require.

cathead fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jan 24, 2016

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Thanks, I appreciate the writeup! I managed to figure out some of the pirate stuff, and I'll probably do some of that Misty Woods PvP stuff, that sounds good.

I'm going to whine a little bit though because I've been playing the 1v1 PvP for a little while now (I'm about 110 matches in, hovering around 1570), and it's sort of unbelievable to me that they released the game with the balance it has right now because, at least at this level, it's completely hosed. This is all from the perspective of a Blade Master, but here are the matchups roughly in order of difficulty:

Idiot Tier:

vs Force Master: Free win. If you lose this match, you might have brain damage. You're basically the terminator, here. Your block (which should be specced to counter) is virtually unbreakable for them and will stun them the majority of the time, so you can slowly walk towards them and there's nothing they can do. Roll your face on the keyboard and win. (For what it's worth, I have never lost to a Force Master)

Normal Tier:

vs Blade Master: Mirror match, but it's pretty much up to mind games. The only unconditional attack you have is the kick, or spinning behind the other person, so it's mostly down to who out-thinks the other guy and gets good stuns off baiting attacks.

Hard Tier:

vs Kung Fu Master: Can be frustrating to play against because they have a LOT of ways to break through your guard, and the only way to get through their parry (as far as I can tell) is the kick or getting behind them. They can dunk on you from range as well, so pretty much your best bet is to try to time your attacks through their counter if they're just sitting there, or try to bait an attack and counter. You can't just stand there because they'll jump on your head. Frustrating, but it doesn't seem like they do anything too unfair (they have some pretty high damage combos, so save your tab I guess). Edit: Lmao their counter lasts 1 second with a cooldown of 1.3 seconds, so you have .3 seconds + lag to hit if they just stand there

Bullshit Tier:

vs Destroyer: You have to hope they're stupid and they do things like grab you and do the thing that lets you 2 out of it, or stop spinning at some point (seriously, why can they spin forever, chain it into a jump that breaks the block, then axe the poo poo out of half of your life in three seconds?). Eventually they run out of spin juice, basically try to dodge their jumps and hope they tire themselves out.

vs Assassin: They go invisible all the time, they can literally attack you while they're invisible, and they evade a significant portion of your attacks while they're invisible (I wanna say > 50%). Their counters are unconditional and cannot be broken, so you have to wait until they're over, and then they'll switch positions with you, stunning you, and combo the poo poo out of you. loving bullshit. You can't hit them once they land or they'll flash bomb or counter you, and then they can counter as soon as they get back up, so once you get an air combo off you pretty much have to back off immediately. Stupid.

vs Blade Dancer: Their spin never ends, you can't parry it, and their combo takes like 30-40% of your life easy, and then they carry you around while their sword DoT is killing you and you can only futiley kick at them. Try to get some good blocks off, but be really careful when you try to counter because they can break out, spin and parry you REALLY REALLY easily.

What the gently caress Tier:

vs Summoner: If you win this, the other guy has brain damage. I beat a level ~20 summoner once, I felt very good about myself. Try to kill the cat? I don't loving know. It'll jump on you and they do that bullshit sunflower beam, you can't get up even if you keep your tab, and even if the cat dies, they can disable your ranged moves and resummon it again, not that they need it because they'll do some bullshit where they turn invisible every time you get close and slowly whittle away at your health until you're dead. Hope a meteor hits their house in the middle of the fight.

Overall, the way I feel most fights go is that the Blade Master has to be almost completely reactive because the other classes have so many ways to avoid or mitigate your attacks, and then your reactive move is mostly down to the block, which the other classes have so many attacks that get around it feels like you're not even playing the same game half the time. I feel like I have no way to initiate because almost all my attacks can be blocked, parried, countered, whatever, and then I get killed anyway when I stay back. It's incredibly frustrating because I really do like the combat, but it seems like none of the other classes play by the same "rules" as the Blade Master.

Lemming fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jan 24, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Lemming posted:

vs Blade Dancer: Their spin never ends, you can't parry it, and their combo takes like 30-40% of your life easy, and then they carry you around while their sword DoT is killing you and you can only futiley kick at them. Try to get some good blocks off, but be really careful when you try to counter because they can break out, spin and parry you REALLY REALLY easily.

For the record, their spin never ends only if you try to hit them. It costs 2 focus per use, but they get it back from parries or getting hit, depending on how they're specced (I'm a noob so I'm not sure which one is obviously better: I chose parry).

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Clarste posted:

For the record, their spin never ends only if you try to hit them. It costs 2 focus per use, but they get it back from parries or getting hit, depending on how they're specced (I'm a noob so I'm not sure which one is obviously better: I chose parry).

I mostly mean it from the standpoint of once you're in a fight; it seems like once they start using it, even I try to block in the half second window where it acts as a parry, it just keeps going, so there's no way for me to keep a fight going once they're up. I try to find an opening from range with a stun dash, but once I get my meager combo off, the fight gets really stupid :/

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
If anybody wants to 1v1 and tell me how to beat them if they're one of the bullshit donkey fucker classes, feel free to let me know! I would love to learn.

Karistar
Jan 5, 2012

Lemming posted:

vs Assassin: They go invisible all the time, they can literally attack you while they're invisible, and they evade a significant portion of your attacks while they're invisible (I wanna say > 50%). Their counters are unconditional and cannot be broken, so you have to wait until they're over, and then they'll switch positions with you, stunning you, and combo the poo poo out of you. loving bullshit. You can't hit them once they land or they'll flash bomb or counter you, and then they can counter as soon as they get back up, so once you get an air combo off you pretty much have to back off immediately. Stupid.

This is how it's felt like so far trying to fight Assassins as a Blade Master myself so far. I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to do here, because they're almost always invisible and their combos can easily take out most of your health off and then they go back to being invisible again. The only time I've almost managed to win against an Assassin was when she stuck around in my lightning field thing off Blade Storm for some reason, and out of stealth (but I got killed in a single combo right after the lightning field ended).

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is it worth doing the low level dailies for chests, etc, or will even salvaging that stuff be pointless by a certain point?

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

It's worth noting that It Gets Better for BMs once hongmoon skills and levels are in and the cap gets raised to 50. They have some pretty bad matchups right now because of the weird patch/level situation we're in. But the more you practice now the better you'll be once those levels do get in, so try not to get too discouraged. It's like Goku taking off his weighted clothes!

Also summoner-wise, try not to hit them when they're holding the dandelion, that gives them the invis and basically allows them to reset the fight. Don't hit the cat when it's curled up as it will heal it. If you can, try and separate the cat from the summoner and sleep it. I know BMs have to break defense to sleep and I'm not sure if cat taunt counts but it's worth a try. If it works it will either force a bad summoner to panic, or a good summoner will still have to try and get over to their pet and bait you into hitting them with aoe to wake the cat up. Playing aggressively will force them to try and keep you away, the trick is to do that while not also triggering dandelion. If you can, try and burst the cat down but I don't know if BM have the damage to do that at this point.

Actually letting them get off a rez is just either ridiculously good positioning and timing on their part or mistakes on your part so I don't think that will actually happen that often. You only have to hit them once with anything to knock them out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
They have a thing that disables the dash and the throw, so if they do that after an invis that gives them some distance sometimes they do have five seconds available. Not common, but can still happen.

Sleeping the cat is a good idea though, I'll definitely have to give that a shot.

• Locked thread