Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

You actually want to let food rot a little bit, the effects get boosted right before it goes bad. They took a system that's usually a blanket negative/penalty and made it into an actual game system, DD team rules.

And then layered a combination system on top of it, letting you make things like wines out of grapes and apples when they're one step away from rotten.

You can also just straight up reverse the effects of rot with magical spring water that takes no more effort to get than dragging a pawn loaded down with empty bottles to the magical healing spring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmao if you don't buy 700 empty bottles for yourself and 700 empty bottles for oyur pawn and then spend the whole day making so many healing items you literally never have to recruit another dumb mage with guardian or nexus ever again

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i eat mushrooms and fistfuls of herbs i find on the ground like a real arisen

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I don't remember ever running short of healing stuff without even grinding for it. The only scrub thing about DD items is that you use them while the game is paused, with no need to commit to healing and wait for a safe time to do it.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Please tell me they stopped doing nightly updates and now do a proper update schedule.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

ColHannibal posted:

Please tell me they stopped doing nightly updates and now do a proper update schedule.

I'll tell you whatever you want but we both know the truth.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
They're getting close to a 1.0 release. I predict they'll leave a skeleton crew on Starbound to add more art assets support the game for about a year while the rest of them run off to Haskell pirate land.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

There was a social media post (can't remember if it was twitter or fb) of a player ship on what looked like a landing pad with a futuristic city in the background. It looked really good, but I feel like my fragile heart will be broken once again by whatever it will actually be.

Does anyone know?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Rrussom posted:

Mom, MOM, Joe GrimCreep'd me again! Make him stop!

This is like.. reverse bullying and is triggering me. i am SO triggered right now.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Magmarashi posted:

I'll tell you whatever you want but we both know the truth.

Seriously? So they actively trying to kill online and modding still.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

ColHannibal posted:

Seriously? So they actively trying to kill online and modding still.

No, that would be a completely stupid thing to take away from it.

I believe the 'nightly' updates are now done as part of a separate opt-in beta install or something.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they are

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah nightlies are, and have always been, and always will be, a completely optional thing you have to opt into, where they tell you outright that things are constantly broken and everything is weird and that you shouldn't play nightly like you would a normal game, just use it to see what stuff they're adding in and what's changing.

e: I think they don't even accept bug reports for the nightly because what would be the point

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah nightlies are, and have always been, and always will be, a completely optional thing you have to opt into, where they tell you outright that things are constantly broken and everything is weird and that you shouldn't play nightly like you would a normal game, just use it to see what stuff they're adding in and what's changing.

e: I think they don't even accept bug reports for the nightly because what would be the point

Yeah they'd be getting a constant stream of reports about the bug where the game is still not good.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!
Hosting a server and after about an hour it is sitting at 900megs, is this common with the latest unstable build?

My kids can't even play the game at this point, great job chucklefish!

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bitter Beard posted:

Hosting a server and after about an hour it is sitting at 900megs, is this common with the latest unstable build?

My kids can't even play the game at this point, great job chucklefish!

then don't play it on the unstable build?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Slime posted:

Yeah they'd be getting a constant stream of reports about the bug where the game is still not good.

that's a feature, not a bug

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

grimcreaper posted:

This is like.. reverse bullying and is triggering me. i am SO triggered right now.

If you ever set another foot in this thread, You'll be GrimCreep'd Again.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

isn't he already the one doing the creaping though

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Grimcreapcreap'd again

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!

BillmasterCozb posted:

then don't play it on the unstable build?

Server has 5793 hours running unstable, it has been fine forever, it's just the latest patch that has made it unplayable. Not going to mulligan everybody just have to wait it out it seems.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Rrussom posted:

If you ever set another foot in this thread, You'll be GrimCreep'd Again.

But... I like this thread. it's my second favorite one on SA only being beaten by the star citizen thread.

Also, when will this game be done? I need to know for science.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Whenever the devs decide to slap 1.0 on it and shove it out the door.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

There was a social media post (can't remember if it was twitter or fb) of a player ship on what looked like a landing pad with a futuristic city in the background. It looked really good, but I feel like my fragile heart will be broken once again by whatever it will actually be.

Does anyone know?

I saw this, apparently it's form the new starting area that will be included in the story update. Instead of just being dumped onto a planet there will be some kind of hand-built events going on to start the game. Some of the elements for that are already in the nightlies and you can access them, someone took a screenshot and posted it.

edit: i guess i may as well include the pic

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 24, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah now that they have the "combat update" (this one, at least) out of the way the next big update they're doing is the story one, where they plan on actually giving you some connection to the universe more than "oh looks like you stumbled upon our secret dimensional base! here's a bunch of dumb poo poo to do"

there's some big league of the different races and a hub city-planet or something.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm really glad the team is back to focusing on what Starbound is supposed to be about in the first place: Story exposition and premade quests.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Has anyone said Star Shitizen yet? Eh? Ehhhh?

Or perhaps Starbrowned?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Starboned

(which we are)

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Stardowns??? Eh????? EH??????

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Whoa you guys are some real starclowns

Vib Rib posted:

I'm really glad the team is back to focusing on what Starbound is supposed to be about in the first place: Story exposition and premade quests.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

it is hilarious that this thread shits all over the game because the combat update was probably the best thing to ever happen to the game and it's like 300% more playable now and it's nearing classic status, this is probably the best science fiction game created in the past 15 years.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Deakul posted:

it is hilarious that this thread shits all over the game because the combat update was probably the best thing to ever happen to the game and it's like 300% more playable now and it's nearing classic status, this is probably the best science fiction game created in the past 15 years.

Source your quotes.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

grimcreaper posted:

But... I like this thread. it's my second favorite one on SA only being beaten by the star citizen thread.

Also, when will this game be done? I need to know for science.

Breaking News: there has been a string of murders, the police have no clue how these incidents are connected except for a small card left at the body with only "GrimCreep'd Again" written on it. They are dubbing the killer the "GrimCreeper".

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

Cryohazard posted:

Source your quotes.

Me

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Deakul posted:

:colbert: Six words total: Saints Row 4

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

BillmasterCozb posted:

:colbert: Six words total: Saints Row 4

4 is a number, not a word

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
A new starting area could help with the biggest issue with the game (that you have to do a ton of mundane and tedious grinding before you have access to even basic mechanics)

It would be cooler if all the races had different starting zones instead of a League Of Allied Races, though.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Vib Rib posted:

Well hell, if they're not gonna make good free-form sandbox gameplay design decisions they may as well go all-in towards a more open-world narrative style. They probably still have plenty of money to burn, whatever.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rrussom posted:

4 is a number, not a word

Rrussom'd again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I think this game will be okay when it's done.

• Locked thread