Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Pissflaps posted:

Nice little vote winner this. Well done Jeremy.
While I agree with you that its politically bad because the xenophobes will react with outrage is it actually a bad idea in of of itself, what do you think?

e: 100 years ago on the 24th of January a poo poo load of British soldiers had been evacuated from Gallipoli a couple of weeks ago and loads of them are chilling in hospitals missing various parts of their body.

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Seems a bit poo poo to suggest that Argentina should have control over the Falklands and the people who live on them (who are almost unanimously in favor of British rule) because they really want them.

Otherwise by that logic we should annex Benidorm.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Seaside Loafer posted:

While I agree with you that its politically bad because the xenophobes will react with outrage is it actually bad idea in of of itself, what do you think?

I think it's a bad idea.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

I think it's a bad idea.
Why is that then.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

This is pretty much the definition of a self selecting sample so I think that extrapolating it to the entire population of MPs is not valid.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Seaside Loafer posted:

Why is that then.

Because it rides roughshod over the democratically, overwhelmingly expressed wishes of the Falkland Islanders to solve a problem that doesn't exist to nobody's benefit other than the Argentinians.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lord of the Llamas posted:

This is pretty much the definition of a self selecting sample so I think that extrapolating it to the entire population of MPs is not valid.

I'd be pretty interested to read the breakdown of the results by political stance.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

What's the word for when you accuse somebody else of doing exactly what you're doing?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I'd be pretty interested to read the breakdown of the results by political stance.

I bet one of them was Lucy Allan lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cerebral Bore posted:

What's the word for when you accuse somebody else of doing exactly what you're doing?

Errr, tu quoque?

Projection?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Cerebral Bore posted:

Hypocrisy.

OwlFancier posted:

Errr, tu quoque?

No, that's the fallacy of claiming that being a hypocrite voids your ability to make criticisms of others.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jan 24, 2016

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Because it rides roughshod over the democratically, overwhelmingly expressed wishes of the Falkland Islanders to solve a problem that doesn't exist to nobody's benefit other than the Argentinians.
My thought on it is that any theoretical agreement would have to involve the islanders retaining british/duel citizenship and rights as before and all you've got is some exactly the same situation with some nominal change on who's name is on top of the piece of paper ending the whole thing without any violence and no actual difference to anyone who lives there. So why not. Might actually get a bit of local growth and trade.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Not really since if you once give Argentina any legal authority over the islands that's a wonderful pretext to gently caress with them in a thousand different ways in order to entice them to leave.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

quote:

the last time the same seats were contested in England, in 2012, represented a “high-water mark” for Labour under Ed Miliband in the aftermath of George Osborne’s “omnishambles” budget, and that Labour cannot realistically expect to improve on those results.

This is sort of obviously correct - Labour lost significant ground after 2012, which probably hasn't been regained since. But it's bizarre to claim that understanding that means 'raising the white flag' - people aren't going to stop campaigning because some losses are likely!

Also, anonymous shadow cabinet sources are the worst kind of traitorous bastard. Seems Dugher wasn't the only one.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Because the people who live there don't want it.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

Not really since if you once give Argentina any legal authority over the islands that's a wonderful pretext to gently caress with them in a thousand different ways in order to entice them to leave.
See first sentence.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Seaside Loafer posted:

See first sentence.

I think you're very naive.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
That's a kind way of putting it.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Because the people who live there don't want it.
If the fantasy agreement where nothing changes is explained to them they might not give a gently caress.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Seaside Loafer posted:

If the fantasy agreement where nothing changes is explained to them they might not give a gently caress.

Yeah this definitely might happen.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Oberleutnant posted:

Why do you think Argentina wants them to leave?

Also, on a spuriously related note: it doesn't really get pointed out enough here, but the Argentinian government isn't the same one it was in 1982.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

OvineYeast posted:

Why do you think Argentina wants them to leave?

Also, on a spuriously related note: it doesn't really get pointed out enough here, but the Argentinian government isn't the same one it was in 1982.

Argentina wants the islands.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Oberleutnant posted:

Yes, but not for much more than (potential) resource rights in the surrounding waters (and populist nationalist dick-waving). I really don't think they give a poo poo about expelling the islanders.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

OvineYeast posted:

Yes, but not for much more than (potential) resource rights in the surrounding waters (and populist nationalist dick-waving). I really don't think they give a poo poo about expelling the islanders.
It would probably help Argentina's claim if the islands were uninhabited. It's a route I'd consider if I were in their position in any case.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

They could give a toss about the islands they want control of the territory for resource extraction, im failing to see why the UK and Argentina cant divvy it up reasonably

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Is there not a legal loophole whereby Britain cedes their claim on the Antarctic to Argentina, which thereby makes Argentina unable to claim the Falklands?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

forkboy84 posted:

I don't think hitting MPs with a brick is very appropriate. Even Tories.

The Tories are only complaining about being abused and killed because they don't like being treated like children.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Seaside Loafer posted:

They could give a toss about the islands they want control of the territory for resource extraction, im failing to see why the UK and Argentina cant divvy it up reasonably
That's an extremely simplistic, incomplete and shortsighted analysis of the role the Falklands play in Argentina's political and public discourse.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Oil exploration around the Falklands is a new development that hasn't amounted to anything so far.

I don't think the position of the UK or Argentina is driven by possible oil extraction. That's just lazy reasoning.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Guavanaut posted:

Is there not a legal loophole whereby Britain cedes their claim on the Antarctic to Argentina, which thereby makes Argentina unable to claim the Falklands?

Argentina is currently unable to claim the Falklands any more than they could lay claim to any other random set of islands.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Seems a bit poo poo to suggest that Argentina should have control over the Falklands and the people who live on them (who are almost unanimously in favor of British rule) because they really want them.

Otherwise by that logic we should annex Benidorm.

Having been there, I thought we already had.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

That's an extremely simplistic, incomplete and shortsighted analysis of the role the Falklands play in Argentina's political and public discourse.
Ok. You dont have to, only if you have the time, but educate me as to why. Im willing to accept that I am being both naive and simplistic. I can only say that im well aware that Argentina nationalism plays a big part in this. I think my point is that by thowing them an meaningless bone it gives them what they want without really changing anything and defuses the situation.

e: as in if fantasy agreement happens, the residents become duel Argentina/UK citizens, nothing changes for them, trade agreement, shared use of resources and territory and Argentina gets to say to we won a massive victory to its people while nothing actually changed

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jan 24, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

IceAgeComing posted:

im pretty sure the person who attacked an mp with a samurai sword must be a goon

or a redditor

Seaside Loafer posted:

While I agree with you that its politically bad because the xenophobes will react with outrage is it actually a bad idea in of of itself, what do you think?

yes because redrawing borders (on paper or in reality) solely because someone says "i want more land" is a thing that ended after the world wars

i mean except i/p but that is a problem of its own

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

blowfish posted:

yes because redrawing borders (on paper or in reality) solely because someone says "i want more land" is a thing that ended after the world wars

i mean except i/p but that is a problem of its own

have you seen what china are doing with the south china sea?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Jose posted:

have you seen what china are doing with the south china sea?

yeah and i've also seen everyone agree that china is in the right there~

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

basically china is acting like argentina in that situation except they have an actual military you can't just ignore

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pissflaps posted:

Argentina is currently unable to claim the Falklands any more than they could lay claim to any other random set of islands.
Argentina does currently claim the Falklands, along with a random chunk of the Antarctic. They're currently unable to do anything about either, but afaik due to mutually exclusive claims if Britain dropped the Antarctic claim (which is unenforceable anyway under the terms of the Antarctic Treaty) then Argentina would have to drop any claims to the Falklands.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

blowfish posted:

basically china is acting like argentina in that situation except they have an actual military you can't just ignore

also they're artificially building islands rather than claiming that existing islands are theirs

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Seaside Loafer posted:

I can only say that im well aware that Argentina nationalism plays a big part in this.
So you know it's not simply a question of access to resources. It's an issue which (particularly after the war) has left wounds in Argentine society - wounds that are never allowed to heal and are constantly picked at by nationalist politicians. They want those islands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

blowfish posted:

yeah and i've also seen everyone agree that china is in the right there~
Everyone except Japan, Malaysia, Thailand, the Philippines, Taiwan, Vietnam... actually, gently caress it it's pretty much "except everyone".

By everyone who do you mean exactly, or does my sarcasm detector need a good kicking?

• Locked thread