Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Junk Puncher posted:

Holy poo poo guys... A couple years ago I put about $140 into this game, dicked around on the SC forums for a couple months, then kind of forgot about it.
My pc is old and can't run it, but about a year ago I helped my cousin build a gaming rig. I have a sort of running joke with him that every game he plays isn't star citizen, because star citizen is gonna be such an awesome game and he should get into it.
Anyway I was curious how development is going and I've spent the last few hours catching up and ... Holy poo poo guys.

Anyone want to buy my ships?

Too late to make a profit. Just get a refund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

IceAgeComing posted:

why is the space video game using 28 gigs of ram
Best drat Memory Leaks Ever.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Cat picture, when my cat was a baby.
Also today is my birthday, leave cheques in my paypal account at You must upgrade your account to platinum to view this message

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Cat :derp:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Junk Puncher posted:

Try and get one even if you get a rejection letter.

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

alf_pogs posted:

apply for a refund now and get out while ya can mr puncher

MeLKoR posted:

a rejection letter autographed by Sandi

In all seriousness, can I get a refund, or is that a fool's errand at this point?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Where else are you going to store all those memory leaks I guess.

Also if anyone's wondering why the game runs like a dog, I think we may have a contender...

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Junk Puncher posted:

In all seriousness, can I get a refund, or is that a fool's errand at this point?

Step 1: Write a request for a refund
Step 2: Replace every word with "Chargeback"
Step 3: You'll get a refund.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Junk Puncher posted:

its worth applying; there have been a few reports that theyre no longer refunding money. im of the opinion that annoying them for a refund now is more likely to yield results than twelve months from now when whatever cash is left has dried up - but i dunno! whatever happens, keep us posted if it goes south.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Junk Puncher posted:

Ask for a refund (email cig's customer service)

If recent history is any indication it will go something like this:
1. You'll get an automated response saying "we're so busy lol sorry!"
2. 3-6 weeks later, you might hear back (not exaggerating)
3. It will probably be a straight out "you're not entitled to a refund you donated this money and we needs it, here's some link to legalese bullshit meant to intimidate you ..."

At this point, you should contact your bank and initiate a chargeback. Keep any/all correspondence, with timestamps. With a bit of luck, your bank will initiate a chargeback and CIG will refund you the money.

They may try to jip you out of money and say "well we can give you 10 bux back but the rest of these items are no longer being stocked" or some horse poo poo like that. If they do, go chargeback.

It's a sick loving scam they got going at this point. Be polite but firm. They are trained to smell fear.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

It seems like the opportunity for getting refunds has gone, but you can try - you should check with your bank about whether you can chargeback. It some cases it might be too long ago but if you can do it and they refuse your refund then you should since they've obviously failed to deliver the product that you purchased.

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

Toops posted:

Ask for a refund (email cig's customer service)

If recent history is any indication it will go something like this:
1. You'll get an automated response saying "we're so busy lol sorry!"
2. 3-6 weeks later, you might hear back (not exaggerating)
3. It will probably be a straight out "you're not entitled to a refund you donated this money and we needs it, here's some link to legalese bullshit meant to intimidate you ..."

At this point, you should contact your bank and initiate a chargeback. Keep any/all correspondence, with timestamps. With a bit of luck, your bank will initiate a chargeback and CIG will refund you the money.

They may try to jip you out of money and say "well we can give you 10 bux back but the rest of these items are no longer being stocked" or some horse poo poo like that. If they do, go chargeback.

It's a sick loving scam they got going at this point. Be polite but firm. They are trained to smell fear.

Thank you. I'll get on this soon.

What a nightmare :ohdear:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Chalks posted:

It seems like the opportunity for getting refunds has gone, but you can try - you should check with your bank about whether you can chargeback. It some cases it might be too long ago but if you can do it and they refuse your refund then you should since they've obviously failed to deliver the product that you purchased.

Something worth mentioning to your bank if you need to chargeback (almost certain you will): Mention that they promised the final product in November 2014, and there's still no final product in 2016, and it's in serious jeopardy. Show them a copy of the kickstarter pledge.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen/description

Man, every time I actually sit down and think about what's really happening with this game, it makes me loving gag. With both horror and laughter. Chris Roberts, you're a loving idiot.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I just saw the best quote on that kickstarter.

Star Citizen: "Like a modern day F-35"

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
In outer space, Ben is weightless

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009
A terrifying thought just occurred to me. I think I had someone else gift me the ships, and I paid him through PayPal. This was during that time period where then current backers could get lti, but newbies couldn't.
Pretty sure I'm hosed.

My new plan is to try to hock this crap on the grey market, if that's still a thing.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

Junk Puncher posted:

Thank you. I'll get on this soon.

What a nightmare :ohdear:

Sadly its only begun.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Junk Puncher posted:

A terrifying thought just occurred to me. I think I had someone else gift me the ships, and I paid him through PayPal. This was during that time period where then current backers could get lti, but newbies couldn't.
Pretty sure I'm hosed.

My new plan is to try to hock this crap on the grey market, if that's still a thing.

dayumn. if it makes you feel any better, youre getting out now; and a lot of people who have sunk multiple thousands into CIG probably wont for a while yet

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Junk Puncher posted:

Pretty sure I'm hosed.

Which ships/packages do you have?

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

AP posted:

Which ships/packages do you have?

Game package with the 300, but upgraded to 325a
Aurora lx standalone
Both have lti

Edit: also various nonsense backer rewards e.g. Body armor, 28000 spacebux, etc

E2: it looks like some people are straight up buying accounts. Might do that. I'm too sleep deprived to figure this out right now.

Junk Puncher fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jan 24, 2016

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Junk Puncher posted:

That ship as sailed but you should still get an official rejection letter. That might or might not allow you to escalate into "chargeback" territory but you should still ask regardless.

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

MeLKoR posted:

That ship as sailed but you should still get an official rejection letter. That might or might not allow you to escalate into "chargeback" territory but you should still ask regardless.

Yeah chargeback isn't gonna work, I remembered I bought on the grey market via PayPal.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

CrazyLoon posted:

Now you understand the full depth of why I said it's the saddest thing I've ever seen. It's not even: "We're giving you a .jpeg ship for free for Valentine's." It happens to be: "We're giving you an ingame-only tiny MODEL of a .jpeg ship." :psyduck:

For Valentine's day some people hook up via internet dating sites. Others go on a date, or send chocolates, or letters, or hell, just spend time with people they like.

But the true Star Shitizen...he gets to admire a .jpeg that is not even a .jpeg ship...all alone.

And people still wonder, why the hardliner whales like Dickwulf are utterly depressed.

I play WoW personally.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Junk Puncher posted:

Game package with the 300, but upgraded to 325a
Aurora lx standalone
Both have lti

Edit: also various nonsense backer rewards e.g. Body armor, 28000 spacebux, etc

E2: it looks like some people are straight up buying accounts. Might do that. I'm too sleep deprived to figure this out right now.

Prices really have crashed, lti aurora's were going for $150.

You might be able to break even or do slightly better after paypal fees.

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

AP posted:

lti aurora's were going for $150.

Seriously? That's more than triple what I paid for it. Why didn't I get out then?

I wonder if this is what black Thursday felt like.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

cat is a mogwai

Junk Puncher posted:

Holy poo poo guys... A couple years ago I put about $140 into this game, dicked around on the SC forums for a couple months, then kind of forgot about it.
My pc is old and can't run it, but about a year ago I helped my cousin build a gaming rig. I have a sort of running joke with him that every game he plays isn't star citizen, because star citizen is gonna be such an awesome game and he should get into it.
Anyway I was curious how development is going and I've spent the last few hours catching up and ... Holy poo poo guys.

you're lucky we live in the hosed up splinter universe where $140 somehow isn't an insane amount to spend on spaceship pictures

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Junk Puncher posted:

Yeah chargeback isn't gonna work, I remembered I bought on the grey market via PayPal.

Oh, yeah then you're proper hosed. CIG doesn't refund gifted purchases.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Oh, yeah then you're proper hosed. CIG doesn't refund gifted purchases.

So what happens to those? Asking for a friend of course...

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.

Iglocska posted:

See you in the verse citizen!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Iglocska posted:

Are you familiar with deep, echoing regret?

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Are you familiar with deep, echoing regret?

We're just getting acquainted!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

A pistol vs The Constellation.

e: I can't seem to a find a way to just link to the webm. It automatically embeds it in the post.

e2: Ah, that did it.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 24, 2016

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

This experience is 100% worth the $45 minimum entry fee.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Iglocska posted:

you can ask your friend to initiate the refund request, thereby your ship will be back to him/her and he/she can then ask for a refund.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Iglocska posted:

You can request your account be closed and the package returned to the gifter. Then CIG can deny their refund request instead.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

AP posted:

:lesnick: despite all his claims that immense work goes into thinking and planning all the details before a concept sale, at the time, he answered a question about if it was facing forwards or backwards on that image and got the answer wrong.

hahaha

but which way is it facing? it's flying towards us, right? knowing CIG its actually flying sideways

bumbles
Nov 26, 2015

by Lowtax

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

hahaha

but which way is it facing? it's flying towards us, right? knowing CIG its actually flying sideways

just out of morbid curiosity, did you join SA after or before :911:?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
"they're developing almost every aspect of the game can be touched in some way in between patches"

"Do you know anything about concurrent versioning?"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

bumbles posted:

just out of morbid curiosity, did you join SA after or before :911:?

after. like in 05. you used to be able to buy the :911: regdate change for 5bux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bumbles
Nov 26, 2015

by Lowtax

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

after. like in 05. you used to be able to buy the :911: regdate change for 5bux

my curiosity has been morbided

thankyou

• Locked thread