Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Doctor Schnabel posted:

don't you need 16 separate characters to do all the dd missions? if so, there's no way to get by with only one of each of the 14 classes

you get one of each class, along with Dismas and Reynauld who are special

if R or D dies, you lose, game over.

EDIT: actually i guess if you are treating them as unique you lose if anyone dies? unless there is a set of identical quintuplet leper princes out there who can trickle in one at a time to avenge their brothers or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
I hear there are canon names for each of the classes, or at the least the ones features in the comic vignettes. Not sure about the duplicates, but I assume they'd have a similar in-world origin.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Anatharon posted:

I thought those didn't use turns, or is that just torches?

They don't use turns either. My point there was that even though Battlefield medicine uses up a turn, it makes up for it by being able to (sometimes) heal more than one person. Better to heal 2 people's blight/bleed with one move than use up 2 bandages or antivenoms and suffer a extra DoT hit before using the second one.

FourLeaf fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 24, 2016

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Panfilo posted:

DIG WITH MY HANDS? I CANT PUT UP WITH THIS poo poo

*kills self*

What if instead of triggering stress, it had a chance to trigger an ambush?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

ZypherIM posted:

Alternatively, use arb-occ-abom-hellion and just dps race her down no matter who ends up in the pot!

I did this but I just had my grave robber get three marked crits in a row

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Rad Russian posted:

For those who want to abuse the OP point blank shot and play a powerful "shuffle" lineup:

For ruins - Vestal/Crusader/Grave Robber/Highwayman

Crusader holy lances to move up 1 spot into normal attack position. Highwayman point blanks to move into position two. After which grave robber you either stay put and use the blight DoT or go forward two spots with her attack into first position then stun shadow fade back. Continuously cycle highwayman and graverobber all battle choosing whether you want to push Crusader back into holy lance position or keep him in spot 2.

These lineups are pretty much invulnerable to surprise attacks as well. You'll just need to move Vestal to the back naturally by using others' advancing moves.

This party is also really good against the Drowned Crew. The boss counts as Unholy so if the Crusader ends up in front he can easily one-shot the anchorman. If the Highwayman ends up in front he can point-blank-oneshot the anchor guy, and if the Graverobber ends up in front the anchor man is actually vulnerable to stun, so you can Shadow Fade him before he anchors you and put someone else who can one-shot him into that position. Crusader doesn't care if he gets shuffled to the back by All Hands On Deck, he can just Lance his way back up easily.

I might replace the Vestal for this setup with an Occultist, he's good against eldritch stuff that you'll fight on the way to the boss, and his marks will allow the Graverobber and Highwayman to do a little extra with their ranged attacks if that turns out to be the best move. Vestal is still fine though - that stun is lovely against any sort of enemies.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I just found Dismas' severed head.

Uh, Dismas was in the party that found it. Dude needs a drink after that, I think.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Want to know something lame? If one of my heroes survives to level 4, I reward them by giving them a new name. I try to add in a bit of worldbuilding to it; like obviously, my Leper is named Baldwin. Jesters are given old harlequin names. Vestal Virgins were a Roman thing, so they get Latin names. And so on.

So the weird thing is, I just so happened to name one of my four Vestals Junia, months ago. What's one of the rewards I get in the first secret room I ever find? Junia's Head of course.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, poo poo, do NOT kill the little piggy behind the big piggy. They hate that.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Night10194 posted:

I just found Dismas' severed head.

Uh, Dismas was in the party that found it. Dude needs a drink after that, I think.

It is the head of Dismas, father of Dismas. A long line of noble thieves.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It'd be interesting if different classes had other passive abilities beyond their four command ones or the recovery abilities in camp. Like, I dunno, Grave Robber gets a bonus to doing what her description says, digging graves. And she's got a goddamn pick, I ought to be able to dig through barriers for free when she's in my party.

shs
Feb 14, 2012

Speedball posted:

the first time I fought them, I killed the little piggy

:smith:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Internet Kraken posted:

It is the head of Dismas, father of Dismas. A long line of noble thieves.
I always just presumed the Collector was a being outside of time.

It's not a paradox, it's a portent.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Speedball posted:

It'd be interesting if different classes had other passive abilities beyond their four command ones or the recovery abilities in camp. Like, I dunno, Grave Robber gets a bonus to doing what her description says, digging graves. And she's got a goddamn pick, I ought to be able to dig through barriers for free when she's in my party.

She gives you a shovel

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Darth Windu posted:

She gives you a shovel

....ohhhh! Is THAT where that came from!

Okay. I'll give the game that, then.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

When, if ever, should I use the sanitarium to remove people's bad traits? It's expensive as gently caress and feels pretty fuckin' futile.

Is it worth it to have a b team whose only job is to go to missions and abandon them while your A team whores around? Then I don't have to upgrade and pay for healthcare for 8 guys.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
If I need to get rid of negative quirks, I just do a few cove runs. Eerie coral is common enough that I usually run into 4-5 of them on a medium run.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Remove kleptomania on anyone you're keeping longer than 1 short mission (you should probably just not recruit anyone with klepto as well). None of the quirks are going to make the difference between success and failure, but if its a big negative for the main thing for the guy you can consider it. If you venture into spoiler area some curios can remove negative quirks.

You can run a B team from level 1->3, firing them when they hit 3, and only buying the base upgrades. With a good comp and play you shouldn't have to pay for more than maybe 1 stress relief over their short carriers. Keep in mind that eventually you'll need 16 people maxed out for the end-game.

Anywhere - eldritch altar - holy water (its the tentacle-on-a-stick thingy)
Warrens - pile of scrolls - torch (note that this is NOT the pile of books)
Cove - eerie coral - medicinal herbs

warrens is really the best as torches are the cheapest.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
There are some negative traits (like Kleptomania) you'll always wanna get rid of, but for the most part it depends on how it affects your character. A penalty to melee attacks might be an issue on a Crusader, but if it's a Vestal, man, who cares. Even then, most of your dudes won't last long enough to make the investment worth it, so there's value in holding off to see who's got staying potential and who doesn't. Anybody clearly unfit to go out and get the mail you can just sack or send on suicide missions.

That said, I tend to treat/not hire (unless it's an emergency) characters with quirks that monopolize where they get to detox after a mission (Gambler, Love Interest, etc.).

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
A lot of this game boils down to the fact that the guy with the dog is actually the best class and the best forever at casually ducking away from monstrous crabs trying to murder him.

All classes could be improved with a dog.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Operant posted:

A lot of this game boils down to the fact that the guy with the dog is actually the best class and the best forever at casually ducking away from monstrous crabs trying to murder him.

You heal yourself by getting licked by the dog! How sweet is that. Doggies....

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i like how he guards his guard dog from harm.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

He combos really goddamn well with anything that marks targets, too.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Operant posted:

I can get behind this logic. I mean, Mega Man was improved by a dog.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Speedball posted:

"don't hurt the little one", cries the entire party in barks once someone hits wilbur

"hmm, maybe i should hurt the little one", thinks Speedball

e:

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jan 24, 2016

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Gabriel Pope posted:

Disorienting Blast is extremely sweet and does a lot to keep PD relevant when you're down to 2-3 enemies. Like, yeah, Blinding Gas works fine for stunning a single enemy in back too but the shuffle rider is very nice since it gives you a chance to mess up the enemy formation and waste more of their attacks.

I find that disorienting blast is great at the end of a fight, when you've killed everyone else and their back row needs to come forward

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
What's a good team composition for the sunken crew? It's the only boss apart from the hag that I've had some troubles with so far (although the prophet can be dangerous on a bad day)

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

Toothache posted:

I hear there are canon names for each of the classes, or at the least the ones features in the comic vignettes. Not sure about the duplicates, but I assume they'd have a similar in-world origin.

I think originally the idea was for each character to be unique. I really like that view, since having multiples does not really open that much for party composition, and every Crusader is exactly the same as any other beyond the random amount of quirks they might have gotten. Think how much people care for Dismas and Reynaud by the virtue of being semi unique, or how nice the story snippets from the comkcs are. We could get a lot more of stroy for each character if they were unique. That said, this wouldn't play too well with the whole "people die" part of the game, nor with the Darkest Dungeon, so a whole rebalance would be needed for it to be implemented.

I also would like something to make different characters from the same class unique, for example a class-specific traitrs talent tree, with mutually exclusive options.

Also also, the stagecoach only ever gives you level zero characters right? That might get grindy if you keep losing people to the DD. Maybe each stage of the DD could unlock upgrades to increase the stagecoach starting level?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Recently I scouted a hallway, and noted there was a monster encounter in the first hallway square. So I proceed down the hallway and I am surprised to discover the monster encounter was actually the Collector! I didn't know it showed up as just a regular hallway encounter, I thought it was random based on how much loot you had.

Also funny was the fact that I managed to surprise him, which allowed me to proceed to stun him for good measure and beat him like a Pinata.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i seem to always surprise the collector, leading to him not so much being scary as a nerd who i surprise in the hallway and beat mercilessly until he gives over his lunch trapezohedrons

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Toothache posted:

Yes. Within the files, the characters are named for reference. Some are serious, some not. Example of serious: Leper is Baldwin, Occultist is Alhazred. Example of non-serious; Houndmaster is 'Shag and Scoob'.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

No wonder he always comes provisioned with Scooby snacks.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Operant posted:

No lie, 4x houndmasters is the best party for the last boss. I'll fight anyone who disagrees. :woof:

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I'll never know.
Houndmasters have the highest mortality rate among character classes in my game.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

ChrisBTY posted:

I'll never know.
Houndmasters have the highest mortality rate among character classes in my game.

but they're so versatile in their mediocrity

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
This game can suck my dick. I've restarted it a couple of times because I just wasn't happy with how my game was going. Now, I had a sweet start and everything was cool. Had a medium dungeon run with Reynaud and Dismas plus a PD and Vestal. Things were going great. I got slugger, low stress, wrecking everything. Then the loving collector shows up. He didn't kill any of my dudes and I got him, so I decided to go on. Last room fight everyone got overstressed and Dismas got killed. loving bullshit. I keep restarting when I get pissed at the game. Probably dumb, but I don't wanna lose Reynaud or Dismas. I am just abysmally bad at this game.

I don't like how they've changed the game from EA launch. They spent time trying to kick the player in the dick even harder with every change.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

So you can lose trinkets by using the Tavern... am I missing something or is this completely pointless busywork if you just remove them each time you send them there?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
things you cant do when ambushed

1. light torches
2. retreat

would have been really good to know

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

victrix posted:

So you can lose trinkets by using the Tavern... am I missing something or is this completely pointless busywork if you just remove them each time you send them there?

They can lose unequipped trinkets too. Think of it like kids and a cookie jar. You, the mom, leave the room to clean up the eldritch horrors, and your punk kid Dismas comes in and sneaks out with a cookie he doesn't deserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

vandalism posted:

This game can suck my dick. I've restarted it a couple of times because I just wasn't happy with how my game was going. Now, I had a sweet start and everything was cool. Had a medium dungeon run with Reynaud and Dismas plus a PD and Vestal. Things were going great. I got slugger, low stress, wrecking everything. Then the loving collector shows up. He didn't kill any of my dudes and I got him, so I decided to go on. Last room fight everyone got overstressed and Dismas got killed. loving bullshit. I keep restarting when I get pissed at the game. Probably dumb, but I don't wanna lose Reynaud or Dismas. I am just abysmally bad at this game.

I don't like how they've changed the game from EA launch. They spent time trying to kick the player in the dick even harder with every change.

You don't like the game because you are self imposing a needless loss condition on yourself, and starting over from scratch every time. You aren't making any progress in town upgrades, which is the mechanic that tempers the difficulty curve. You can choose to play the game however you want, but don't blame the changes they made, when you've implemented the hardest self made rule of all.