Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

endlessmonotony posted:

I do actually like chili, and a large variety of recipes is good.

All right, I just found there's chili packets available in finland on foodie.fi!

This is basic working suburban mom chili con carne. Nothing fancy, pretty easy.

You're going to need
https://www.foodie.fi/entry/chili-explosion/7311310026448 Santa Maria Chili Explosion
1 pound of ground beef
1 large onion chopped
1 14oz can chopped tomatoes (as close to the sizes listed as you can find)
1 cup beef stock or water
HALF of a 14oz can black beans (optional, and same as above)

Turn the crock-pot up as far as it will go and let it warm up for 10 minutes, empty. Once it's good an hot, put in the ground beef. Stir it around for five minutes, see if you cant get a bit of brown on it (if it just cooks and turns grey, oh well, the chili will still be good) then turn the pot to low, and add the onion and chili powder mix. Cover the pot, let the onions and spices cook together for about 10-20 minutes, or until the onions start turning clear. You're trying to avoid burning the onions, so low and slow. Once the onions are sweet and clear, add the tomatoes (and the half a can of beans if you want) and stock or water, cover the pot, let cook for 30 minutes.

IF IT IS TOO RUNNY FOR YOUR LIKING, cook uncovered for another 10 minutes.

Turn the crock-pot off, wait for it to cool enough for you to handle. Eat with a side of 'Texas Toast' if you'd like, which is just white buttered toast with a pinch of garlic herb seasoning.

Also the finnish word for eggs is auto-translated to balls lol

\/\/Neat.\/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Canned tomatoes in Europe are generally 400 gram, so within 1% of 14 oz.

Pieholes
Sep 18, 2010

So I've recently gotten interested in cooking some Korean dishes, but I'm kind of stumped because I know very little about food in general. I live in Finland so access to Asian grocery stores is somewhat possible. What type of rice do I need to make Korean dishes? This is the grocery store I'm looking at http://www.viivoan.fi/, I understand that the rice needs to be white short-grain so is Japanese/sushi rice fine since they don't have a specific "Korean rice" (does that even exist)? I tried googling around but only found pages explaining the difference between jasmine and basmati. If someone could take a look at the website (it's in English) and say which one I should buy (i have very severe social anxiety so depending on how bad of a day I'm having I might not be able to ask for help at the store) that would be really great! Also if anyone knows where to get gochugaru in Finland or a good online vendor that ships to Europe that would be awesome.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Short grain white rice of any sort is fine. There's nothing special about it there.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Pieholes posted:

So I've recently gotten interested in cooking some Korean dishes, but I'm kind of stumped because I know very little about food in general. I live in Finland so access to Asian grocery stores is somewhat possible. What type of rice do I need to make Korean dishes? This is the grocery store I'm looking at http://www.viivoan.fi/, I understand that the rice needs to be white short-grain so is Japanese/sushi rice fine since they don't have a specific "Korean rice" (does that even exist)? I tried googling around but only found pages explaining the difference between jasmine and basmati. If someone could take a look at the website (it's in English) and say which one I should buy (i have very severe social anxiety so depending on how bad of a day I'm having I might not be able to ask for help at the store) that would be really great! Also if anyone knows where to get gochugaru in Finland or a good online vendor that ships to Europe that would be awesome.

The sushi rice would be fine for Korean, but any short-grain white rice works just as well. Get the least 'special' short-grain white rice you can find.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

hogmartin posted:

The sushi rice would be fine for Korean, but any short-grain white rice works just as well. Get the least 'special' short-grain white rice you can find.

Which in Finland might be so called porridge rice, grötris, if they have the same stuff mostly as we do here in Sweden.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Speaking of rice, you can also make slow cooker rice quite easily, And I do love my chili over rice, it stretches it out a bit. Here's a simple slow-cooker rice recipe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqyAaD5BsoA You can also make smaller amounts of rice. You can also always put rice in the fridge and microwave it, if you're not a hyper-picky rice eater. You can always top rice with stuff and microwave it, and have a simple meal. A stupid easy favorite of mine is leftover white rice in a soup bowl over a handful of fresh spinach, topped with some olive oil and 'mexican' cheese blend shreadies, microwaved until the spinach wilts. A yonk of hot sauce, and bam, simple veg-tex-mex rice bowl. It don't always have to be fine dining!

btw, this in regards to the first finn endlessmonotony, not korean food enthusiast finn.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 24, 2016

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
I should mention that 'minute rice' isn't the same at all, so don't get some sort of instant rice. Really, if you can just find a 5lb sack with RICE stenciled on it that should be fine for like 90% of your rice needs.

Oh, and grab a rice cooker while you're at it, if it's affordable where you are. You can get them for like $10 in the US and it's so stupid simple to just toss in the measured rice and water, then it cooks it, then it keeps it warm and doesn't take up a burner on the stove. For $15 you can get one that can steam vegetables too. For $300, you can get one that plays 'twinkle twinkle little star'.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 24, 2016

Pieholes
Sep 18, 2010

Thanks hogmartin and Grand Fromage!

DekeThornton posted:

Which in Finland might be so called porridge rice, grötris, if they have the same stuff mostly as we do here in Sweden.

We have grötris (puuroriisi) here but it's wayyy too mushy to be used for anything other than rice porridge :( Or maybe I just suck at cooking.

hogmartin posted:

Oh, and grab a rice cooker while you're at it, if it's affordable where you are. You can get them for like $10 in the US and it's so stupid simple to just toss in the measured rice and water, then it cooks it, then it keeps it warm and doesn't take up a burner on the stove. For $15 you can get one that can steam vegetables too. For $300, you can get one that plays 'twinkle twinkle little star'.

I think I'm going to get one of those, they seem very handy!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's a Korean food thread that might be helpful, I stopped paying attention to it when I moved out of Korea but it's still floating around.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Pieholes posted:

Cool! If you do, consider getting one with a non-stick bowl. It might be $20 vs $15 but if you make rice often, it makes cleanup a lot easier.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Is it worth keeping the chicken bones from a pressure cooked stew (specifically, this recipe for making stock, or is it likely to have already extracted most of its flavour and body? The resulting stew does feel a bit gelatinous, but since the actual bone isn't directly simmering, I've been freezing them for a batch of stock.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Jan posted:

Is it worth keeping the chicken bones from a pressure cooked stew (specifically, this recipe for making stock, or is it likely to have already extracted most of its flavour and body? The resulting stew does feel a bit gelatinous, but since the actual bone isn't directly simmering, I've been freezing them for a batch of stock.

It's unlikely that it will hurt to throw them in your stock, unless they took on weird flavors from the previous stewing.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I just got a 5 QT bowl-lift Kitchenaid mixer. Are there any "must-have" accessories or anything for it?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

I just got a 5 QT bowl-lift Kitchenaid mixer. Are there any "must-have" accessories or anything for it?

First off, congratulations, that thing will let you absolutely wreck the place up with some killer bread.

Second... what are you looking for? There are vegetable shredding attachments, but if you have a food processor with a shredder disk you're already set. There are meat grinder and sausage stuffer attachments, but if you aren't grinding meat or stuffing sausage, you don't need them. There is an ice cream bowl attachment though...

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

PRADA SLUT posted:

Get one of those beater blades that has a spatula thing on the side to scrape down the bowl as you mix. Everything else depends on what you want to do with it.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Pieholes posted:

Oh hey, somewhere where I can shine.

Don't, would be my first thought.

The C3 works, but the pot inside is a slippery pain in the rear end to handle, and it takes forever. The OBH Nordica is clunky and boils over easy, and is the same price as the crock pot I just picked up... and doesn't have automatic programs. Unless you can speak enough German to order from there, the Finnish state of rice cookers is an unwieldy nightmare.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

The C3 works, but the pot inside is a slippery pain in the rear end to handle, and it takes forever. The OBH Nordica is clunky and boils over easy, and is the same price as the crock pot I just picked up... and doesn't have automatic programs. Unless you can speak enough German to order from there, the Finnish state of rice cookers is an unwieldy nightmare.

Speak enough German to order from there I guess... something like http://www.aroma-housewares.com/kitchen/appliances/ARC-914SBD.html?id=GVd9VJ7E can cook rice, steam vegetables, has a non-stick easy clean pot, and has a timer setting so it's ready for you in the morning. It's also $US40. I know shipping varies around the world but there must be a way to get something like that to your home at a reasonable cost.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

hogmartin posted:

Speak enough German to order from there I guess... something like http://www.aroma-housewares.com/kitchen/appliances/ARC-914SBD.html?id=GVd9VJ7E can cook rice, steam vegetables, has a non-stick easy clean pot, and has a timer setting so it's ready for you in the morning. It's also $US40. I know shipping varies around the world but there must be a way to get something like that to your home at a reasonable cost.

There are, but thanks to the power differences, you either need to get one with an IEC 60320 C15/C16 power cable from the UK, or be able to order directly from Germany. I personally ended up with a microwave rice steamer just because the Finnish options were so lackluster. Though now I have the crock pot.

(I'm not the finn looking for one, Pieholes is.)

Pieholes
Sep 18, 2010

endlessmonotony posted:

Yeah, I did some research and there really aren't that many good rice cookers sold here :( A friend of mine got one from Tokyokan and it works okay, I'm going to go there tomorrow and see how much they cost.

hogmartin posted:

They don't seem to ship to Finland, otherwise I would have bought one immediately.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Pieholes posted:

Yeah, I did some research and there really aren't that many good rice cookers sold here :( A friend of mine got one from Tokyokan and it works okay, I'm going to go there tomorrow and see how much they cost.

Oh what the hell. Amazon.de has added English support. Well that might make your problem a lot easier.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

hogmartin posted:

I checked on how much it would cost to ship a rice cooker, around five pounds or so, to Finland from the US and it came to between $60 and $150 depending on shipping speed and carrier, FedEx was the cheapest of them at ~$60.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Gerblyn posted:

You can just roast the chicken breast, if you like. If the oven is at 180C, you can roast a 200g chicken breast in about 30m. I would recommend brushing the outside of the chicken in oil though, since that helps prevent the chicken from drying out!

In the end though, 1tbsp of oil used to pan fry a piece of meat isn't that big a deal at all. Your goal is to reduce your fat intake, not cut it out entirely. If you run the numbers for a male (female numbers are in brackets):

2500 KCal (2000) per day
25% should come from fat = 625 Kcal (500)
625 Kcal = ~70g (55) of fat

If you put 12g of fat into a frying pan, I'd guess only half of that is actually going to end up in your food, so you have a lot of room to spare.

I've been controlling my diet for the last year trying to lose weight, and it's really important not to go nuts, because you're supposed to be making changes you can stick to. I made the mistake of completely cutting out some things when I started, like added sugar, and it just made me miserable and made me spend all my time dreaming of the moment when my diet would finally be over and I could just eat cake again.

Yeah, I can understand that. My wife has lost almost 70 pounds since March. Letting yourself cheat at least a little bit once in a while is important. From my experience eating similarly to her, though, eventually fruit feels like dessert.

I'm not too concerned with the olive oil, 1-1.5tbsp on 400g of meat is still a lot better than peanut butter, cheese, or even eggs.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 24, 2016

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Ok so I have vastly underestimated how difficult it would be to get a good rice pot shipped to Finland that would work plugged into the wall on arrival. Sorry.
:shrug:

e: I still maintain that even a cheap crappy one is worth having if you intend to cook rice or steam vegetables.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 24, 2016

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

hogmartin posted:

Ok so I have vastly underestimated how difficult it would be to get a good rice pot shipped to Finland that would work plugged into the wall on arrival. Sorry.
:shrug:

Oh, no, it's not that hard.

First you need a Nordea Bank AB Visa Electron card on a separate account with only as much money as you want to use online - because the millisecond you turn off regional protection the liability rules shift - then you need to turn on worldwide purchases in order to shop Europe-wide. OP sometimes works, Danske Bank is an unholy nightmare. Oh, are you over 28? The rules change, though mostly to the tune of different fees and the bonus program you need to be in.

Now you need to find a shop that will work for shopping compatible devices. Amazon UK will ship you devices. But they have UK plugs. For low-draw devices you can use a plug converter, but for something you'd use in the kitchen, they're inadvisable at best. If the device has an IEC 60320 C13/C14 or a C15/C16 power cable, you're in luck - you can just replace the cable with one you can buy locally, and it'll work. How do you know if a device has a compatible power cable? Hope someone mentioned it in a review. Amazon DE is an easier case - Schuko plugs will work fine in most buildings in Finland, though older buildings may use other, now outdated standards, but Amazon DE is obviously in German. Now their ordering side is in English, so you can just research a product online, and if Amazon DE is selling it it'll probably be fine.

Now, if you're ordering from a seller outside Europe, even one selling on a site in Europe, or from a seller from inside Europe where the package crosses the European border, the rules change again, because the laws that apply to outside-EU taxes and shipping are a little arcane sometimes. Long story short, expect to pay tax, import fees, processing fees, processing shipping fees and possibly taking a trip to the local import office - though they'll try to get it to one no more than 100 miles away.

Will anyone in a customer service position explain this process? Probably not, hope you like trial and error.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Athenry posted:

Get one of those beater blades that has a spatula thing on the side to scrape down the bowl as you mix. Everything else depends on what you want to do with it.

Do not get KitchenAid's beater blade. It is garbage. Get New Metro's BeaterBlade™

Throw away your regular paddle blade and use the BeaterBlade™ all the time from now on.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, I can understand that. My wife has lost almost 70 pounds since March. Letting yourself cheat at least a little bit once in a while is important. From my experience eating similarly to her, though, eventually fruit feels like dessert.

I'm not too concerned with the olive oil, 1-1.5tbsp on 400g of meat is still a lot better than peanut butter, cheese, or even eggs.

Props to her, 70 pounds is impressive stuff! I remember when I had my first coke after 3 months, it was so sweet I was almost sick. Then somebody posted the recipe for the greatest chocolate chip cookies ever made, and the rest is history :shobon:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a default simple / fast (relatively) bread to make in a kitchenaid?

I'm thinking like 5-minute bread just with a mixer.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
http://www.deliaonline.com/home/Print-Recipe.html?PID=2477&ampCID=414 is what I use. I've made tons of bread but that recipe is the only one I've never messed up.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 25, 2016

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have a recommendation for a cookbook that's laid out like a sequential course, where you go through from beginning to end, making all the recipes, and when you finish...well, you've learned the content of the book? So many cookbooks seem to be laid out like encyclopedias, which are probably great once you're established, but my brain doesn't feel like it's there yet.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I like this way of making chicken breasts. Tonight I wanted to make some extra and could only fit two in a pan so I used this method for two breasts and an uncovered skillet for the other two. The covered ones were obviously less crusty but were super tender.

Another thing you may want to do is cook whole chickens and shred the whole shebang and heat in taco seasoning or stir in BBQ sauce. This would give you a half and half dark/white mix. Plus, then, stock!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Cool, I'll try that way tomorrow. Should I trim what fat there is off the breasts before I do that? It got tough pan-frying it yesterday.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
No, and in general I don't do that with any lean meats.

Not to get YLLS here, but if your calories are 50% fat then I don't think your issue is the excess fat on a lean cut of meat or too much olive oil in the pan.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a default simple / fast (relatively) bread to make in a kitchenaid?

I'm thinking like 5-minute bread just with a mixer.

The bread thread is your best resource, but I got a basic recipe from therattle in that thread, and that's what I usually default to if I'm not after something in particular:

500g all-purpose or bread flour
300g lukewarm (100-110F) water
1/2 tsp salt
1-2 tsp instant yeast (or a packet)

It sounds like you're already used to making bread so I haven't bothered with more instructions. I or others can get more detailed if needed.

EDIT: Apparently I've shifted slightly over time. I looked up the original recipe from therattle and the proportions are slightly different.

500g AP/bread flour
330g water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp instant yeast

guppy fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 25, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

detectivemonkey posted:

No, and in general I don't do that with any lean meats.

Not to get YLLS here, but if your calories are 50% fat then I don't think your issue is the excess fat on a lean cut of meat or too much olive oil in the pan.

Yeah, I'll have to look at the food log again, but I think it's fatty breakfast meat and my love of peanut butter. I've never counted calories and macros before. I used to just stuff everything in my mouth and get as much protein as possible.

E: also cheese and normal peanuts.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 25, 2016

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a cookbook that's laid out like a sequential course, where you go through from beginning to end, making all the recipes, and when you finish...well, you've learned the content of the book? So many cookbooks seem to be laid out like encyclopedias, which are probably great once you're established, but my brain doesn't feel like it's there yet.

I think most books aren't laid out like this because it's going to depend on season, meal, personal taste, and probably more. That's not to say a book can't be laid out like this, I just don't know of any.

Have you tried out just grabbing a traditional cookbook from a source you like and picking out a dinner food/lunch food/breakfast food once or twice a week? I usually reference the index of a couple books I have on hand based on an ingredient I have or want and see what it uses it for. I really enjoy Alton Brown's good eats books and Americas Test Kitchen.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Alternatively, a weekly menu from one of those services that provide you with ingredients + recipes each week.

You're not going be to learning a complete book or anything, but they tend to be simple enough and will minimise wastage as you develop the skills you want, as well as a reasonable repertoire of meals you're passably familiar with. Its probably not worth actually signing up if you have a car and a will to go shopping yourself.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I don't feel the need for it so much anymore, but when I was starting out, I wanted a book like that for a long time. Something that would take me through all the basics of cooking techniques that I could work through like a workbook, so I could finish and feel like I had a handle on the basics. The closest I ever found was Ruhlman's Twenty, but I don't know that it's beginner-friendly enough.

Actually, I kind of wonder if we could create something like that online, on the wiki or something. GWS' Twenty or whatever, a more stripped down version of that concept, aimed at getting people started.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

guppy posted:

I don't feel the need for it so much anymore, but when I was starting out, I wanted a book like that for a long time. Something that would take me through all the basics of cooking techniques that I could work through like a workbook, so I could finish and feel like I had a handle on the basics. The closest I ever found was Ruhlman's Twenty, but I don't know that it's beginner-friendly enough.

Actually, I kind of wonder if we could create something like that online, on the wiki or something. GWS' Twenty or whatever, a more stripped down version of that concept, aimed at getting people started.

I'd contribute to such a wiki in any meager way I can. It makes me sad to see people come in here who didn't learn to cook from family as children :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Barracuda Bang! posted:

That's a really good question and no, I don't know of any books like that. All the cookbooks I've ever seen do in fact assume that you know all the basics already, unfortunately. Cooking has so many aspects to it. Here's chicken. Do I stew it? Fry it? OK, deep fry or pan fry? Dry cook it? OK, do I roast it or broil it? All of those options can result in tasty food and none of them are particularly difficult but they require different skills.

Your best option might be to decide to make a dish that you like and learn your way through it. When it gets to the part where you mince the garlic - "how the hell do I mince garlic?" Check youtube or ask us here. Now you have another skill that you can apply to other dishes. You build skills like that and after you've got a few, you start to feel more confident.