Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Tiny Epic Galaxies has the best goon reviews, Defenders and Kingdom not so much. I've bought Galaxies on account of thread recommendations and being a fan of space themed games, haven't gotten it to the table yet. I've been sort of keeping up with Western KS, but I don't think I'm going to back it. There are some (p)reviews on BGG that were not very informative (rules overview, followed by a paragraph that came down to "I like it!") so I think I'll wait until it hits retail and I've seen some actual reviews. There's a Print and Play for download so if you want to put in the :effort: you can try it for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
So someone just mailed me this game called Kensington and I haven't got to play it yet but I think its cool already because it basically comes in a LP.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

The General posted:

I'm a huge TtA fan and I say pull the plug. The new edition is fantastic and almost everything I wanted it to be. It fixes all the issues with the base game, military getting a serious nerf. Leaders have been changed up, yellow cards are now more generically useful.

The only thing is, I've become accustomed to using BGO and various other extentions. Printed them off for use with the home game too. I was hoping maybe 2.0 would ship with extra leaders and wonders to swap em out at the start of the game.

New TTA is great, go for it. It seems very likely they will be doing official extensions later, I think.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PBS Newshour posted:

So someone just mailed me this game called Kensington and I haven't got to play it yet but I think its cool already because it basically comes in a LP.

I remember Kensington. It's basically Nine Men's Morris on steroids. Got recommended at Spiel des Jahres 1982, but that says more about gaming in the 1980s than anything else.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Brass is a game of supply and demand, and you as the player need to know when it's the best time to cash in.

The game has two phases: canals and rails. After the end of each phase you score points based in links between cities, and flipped over tiles. More on this later.

You begin the game with 8 cards (Make sure you've take. The correct amount of cards out of the deck for the phase and player count!) that will have towns from across Lancashire or the Five types of industry: coal mines, cotton mills, ports, ship yards, and foundries. These will be the tools you use to interact with the game.

You also begin the game with six stacks of tiles: one for each type of industry, and your canals/rails. On these tiles will be. Number 1-4 which denotes it's tech level. Level ones can only be built during the canal phase and are removed when switching to rails. Some may have a rail icon on them, this means they can only be built during the rail phase. There is also a cost in £ which you have to pay, and some of them require coal and/or iron to build. Coal mines and Iron Works have numbers in a box that denotes how many cubes the start with.

On the backs of the tiles you will see a pink hexagon and a coped circle, both with numbers. The hex is vp it's worth at the end of the phase and the circle is how much you increase hot income by.

Each player also starts with £30.

Each phase consists of several steps: Intial cards, player actions (where the majority of the game takes place, calculate vps, and progress to the next period or game end.

Once everyone has their Intial 8 cards you start player actions. First you collect income from the tack on the bottom and left of the board, second you play 2 cards (Only one of the first turn though!), and fourth you refill your hand from the deck.

So you are finally ready to play. Starting with the start player he plays a card. Since no one has anything on the board he can use the industry cards to build that industry at any location on the granted it has that type of industry and its not In Birkenhead or Barrow-in-furness. Those two cities can only be accessed durin the rail period. Or a town card to build any industry In that specific town as long it also has a spot for it.

Once a player builds their Intial building, they pay the costs to their color box on the board. Whoever spent the least goes first, second least second and so on and so forth next round.

Keep in mind that in the canal phase a player can only own one building per city!

Now the game really begins.

So what can you do with your cards? Tou get two cards, think of them as actions. You can take a loan for one card which drops your income marker 1-3 colored sections on the income track. Each section dropped gets you £10. You can build links (canals/rails) from your adjacent links or buildings. You can build industry with a matching industry card in a town connected to your network, you can use town cards to build industry in that town, you can develops technology (you discard 1-2 tiles from a stack for the cost of 1-2 iron. This also the only way to build shipyards), and you can sell cotton.

So what does each industry do. Cotton Mills when linked up to distant ports or a port built by a player can be flipped by taking the well cotton action. :siren: Flipping tiles is the only to get a steady incom and score major points :siren: When selling to the distant market you draw a demand tile and drop the demons marker down that many spaces (0 to -4) then if it hasn't bottomed out you flip the tile and get the income listed on it and what is listed on the demand track. When selling to a port you can sell to any player's and you flip your mill plus the port. This will be your best way of getting income early.

Let's talk about coal and iron. Coal needs to be transported across links if you need it, iron does not. There is also a marker on the board where you can buy either for the price listed, but to get the coal you need to connected to a port. When you build coal mines or ironworks you get a set amount of cubes. Anyone can use these cubes, and if there are empty spots on the market when you build them, it takes your cubes automatically and pays your market price. This only. Happens when you build something. For coal players must take coal from the closest connected mine. Iron can be taken from anywhere. Once all the cubes are taken, the tile flips and you get your income.

Lastly are shipyards. There are only 3 ship spaces on the map, you need to develops to build them, and they cost a fuckton of cash. They are worth a boatload of points though and automatically flip.

So what you want to do is see where there are holes in the market and capitalize on them. Lots of unflipped cotton mills? Build ports. No iron on the market? Build an ironworks. Lots of cash? Build a shipyard.

Another way of scoring points are links. You will need to build these anyways hi they are super cost effective points if you can spare the card to build them. Links score to every orange circle in both cities it connects. This basically means every flipped tile, but there are some filler cities trust just give you two circles for connecting them.

Once the deck runs out and everyone plays their last two card, you count up vps. I start with links for each player then move on to builds. Here all level one buildings and canals are removed. You still keep their income but you won't get anymore points. Any level two or higher stay and will be scored again after the rail phase.

So now your start the rail phase. You can not build level one industry and must develop them if you want to. You can only build rails which require coal. If you have nothing on the board you do the same thing as when you started the game. And demand track is reset.

You play until you once again run out of cards. Then you do another round of scoring and whoever is the highest wins.w

Durendal fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jan 24, 2016

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Durendal posted:

Inhabit the Earth! This game looks cute, but is a brain melting tableau builder that will destroy people with AP.

I wanna get this game on the table but everytime another game gets the vote. I really think the art scares people away.

I bought it in Essen an account of liking Keyflower and Richard Breese but I doubt it will see play any time soon. Am I missing out?

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Some tips: before you sell cotton for the first time take a £30 loan, don't let someone get all the shipyards, coal is huge in rail period so having level 2 coal mines built before the phase change can be a life saver, you can no loner take loans when the deck runs out In the rail period, and the when selling cotton you can flip as many mills as you can granted there is enough ports or the demand doesn't tank.

Pro-tip: you can use both your actions In a turn to build anything anywhere.

Durendal fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jan 24, 2016

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Selecta84 posted:

I wanna get this game on the table but everytime another game gets the vote. I really think the art scares people away.

I bought it in Essen an account of liking Keyflower and Richard Breese but I doubt it will see play any time soon. Am I missing out?

It's not Keyflower good, but it's definitely worth playing.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Durendal posted:

That's good to hear.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Durendal posted:

Few things are.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Durendal posted:

Some tips: before you sell cotton for the first time take a £30 loan, don't let someone get all the shipyards, coal is huge in rail period so having level 2 coal mines built before the phase change can be a life saver, you can no loner take loans when the deck runs out In the rail period, and the when selling cotton you can flip as many mills as you can granted there is enough ports or the demand doesn't tank.

Pro-tip: you can use both your actions In a turn to build anything anywhere.

All that and the rules I got. I'm just not sure how to get the ball rolling.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Thanks for the TTA opinions guys. Now I just need to figure out what to get to round out my $100 order from CSI.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Finally got to play one game of 504. It was 183 - I play with pretty advanced people so I figured I'd introduce the whole game at once instead of starting out with a game without residents. (729 also seems like it's going to be pretty interesting when we get there.)

Everything went pretty well, but a decent amount depends on the random privilege you draw for purchase and somebody got screwed by only pulling the VP ones from the deck. Not sure how you fix that, or if (in this case) 27-to-1 odds are worth addressing.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Jedit posted:

All that and the rules I got. I'm just not sure how to get the ball rolling.

Selling cotton to the foreign market can give you a real quick boost in cash if you can get 2 mills in before the demand tanks. Combine this with te loan trick for tons of cash.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Hey, we almost played inhabit the earth yesterday too, but ended up with Alhambra for something lighter. Having only played one game of it now, what are other peoples' thoughts on it? In some ways I liked it more than carcass one, but it also lacked any sort of direct action/interference. Note we were only playing with like 2 or 3 of the 20 odd expansion bits.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Played Mombosa last night and really enjoyed it. It's a political point salad with metaphorical blood diamonds and colonialism, which made me feel good about losing but bad about thinking how cool some of the actions are.

Imagine a mix of action selection and worker placement, and four companies with progress tracks. The company's value is dependent on how much territory they control on the map, and having shares in companies will garner many points at the endgame. Add on a diamond track, a bookkeeping track, an interesting discard/collect system, it's a very interesting mix of mechanics in a solid game. I'm excited to play again.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

I wasn't terribly impressed by Mombasa, partly because of how point-salad-y it was. I won a game by doing some stock buying and maxing like crazy on books because there wasn't a great way for people to compete with bookkeeping, but it felt like the actions didn't really integrate all that well together - everything comes down to stock-buying, but stocks aren't that hard to buy (lategame people can buy a lot of stocks very quickly if they've been upgrading their goods cards) and the area control is very zero-sum so if two companies start to dominate it snowballs from there (people buy into those companies and they just eat everything). The only incentive to push people towards specific companies is the particulars of diamond merchants, which results in a pretty small delta (one diamond, maybe two) for slight differences in control.

The discard/collect system worked pretty well, though.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

New TTA is great, go for it. It seems very likely they will be doing official extensions later, I think.

I ment pull the trigger. I'm often high...

And they will? That's awesome.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
My copy of Food Chain Magnate arrived :toot: and I'm reading the rules.

I like the bank reserve concept.

For those who don't know, in FCM players do not begin with money and the game ends when the bank runs out of money twice.

The first time the bank runs out the reserve notes are revealed and resolved. The second time it runs out the game is over.

The reserve notes are chosen by the players - one each - secretly at the beginning of the game. Notes are in different denominations and also modify the way you'll be able to do actions. The notes chosen make a longer or shorter game.

The winning strategy depends in part on your chosen tradeoff between growing your capacity/potential and actually doing stuff. The correct time to shift those gears depends partly on the game length.

I'm looking forward to trying it out.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

The General posted:

I ment pull the trigger. I'm often high...

And they will? That's awesome.

I don't think it's been officially confirmed anywhere (though I have a vague feeling that a CGE employee said they were considering it) - but I'd be shocked if they don't given the demand for the game, and there's something to suggest it given that there are tactics with obsolescences written on them which only make sense if they have units which currently don't exist...

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

ETB posted:

Played Mombosa last night and really enjoyed it. It's a political point salad with metaphorical blood diamonds and colonialism, which made me feel good about losing but bad about thinking how cool some of the actions are.

Imagine a mix of action selection and worker placement, and four companies with progress tracks. The company's value is dependent on how much territory they control on the map, and having shares in companies will garner many points at the endgame. Add on a diamond track, a bookkeeping track, an interesting discard/collect system, it's a very interesting mix of mechanics in a solid game. I'm excited to play again.

Mombasa is real good, although suffers from groupthink with the way the pseudo stock market aspect of the game is laid out.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
A friend of a friend is running a survey of people who play modern board games for a project, I thought I'd share it here in case anyone feels like contributing. It's from the people who run the (relatively small, probably unknown to most) review blog Daily Worker Placement. Takes 5 min or so.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Zjx8Hf4ET3a7GyuDi-jVWK3fqR_fINkQrVKIaFYPBRg/viewform?c=0&w=1

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Merauder posted:

A friend of a friend is running a survey of people who play modern board games for a project, I thought I'd share it here in case anyone feels like contributing. It's from the people who run the (relatively small, probably unknown to most) review blog Daily Worker Placement. Takes 5 min or so.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Zjx8Hf4ET3a7GyuDi-jVWK3fqR_fINkQrVKIaFYPBRg/viewform?c=0&w=1

I filled this out, but I have a couple of nitpicks.

The first is that I don't really consider most of the games I play to be Euros in the modern sense of the word, but I had to check it off because it was the only strategy game choice. I think you would be hard pressed to say that 18xx, and other finance games are what most people think when you say Euro to them. I know that's part of a larger debate about terminology but I think dropping the Euro part from the strategy games would make sense.

Secondly, it's nice that you can check wargames as a choice here and there but the favorite mechanics section is pretty much devoid of any wargame mechanics. No card-driven, hidden unit deployment, or hex and counter options. Also stock holding is nowhere to be found. I know there's a field for other, and I used it, but I had to type in a few things.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I bought the digital version of Talisman, and I actually like it a whole lot. Should I hate myself for this?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

I bought the digital version of Talisman, and I actually like it a whole lot. Should I hate myself for this?

Yes.

I bought it, and found the animations and constant clicking on poo poo I shouldn't really have to click on means that it didn't appear to play faster than the IRL boardgame.

I was kinda excited to get my speed talisman on, but somehow, they made it a chore.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

COOL CORN posted:

Yes, probably.
As someone who still owns bits of the first, second and third editions and expansions, and who still has fond memories of playing it c. 1994, all the digital edition did for me was highlight all of the horrible design choices present and emphasize how much game design has progressed in twenty-odd years. The digital version literally feels like Progress Quest to me.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Talisman is the game you keep on your shelf to remind you why you have all those other games.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Yeah, I think I spoke too soon. After about an hour of playing, I thought "man, I really wish this were a digital version of Mage Knight", and then sent Steam a refund request.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Alright, ordering the new TTA from CSI and I'm looking to add on either Viticulture: Essential Edition or Argent to round out the order. I already have and enjoy Dung. Lords and Dung. Pets for my usual worker placements. Either of these give a unique enough experience to warrant a purchase over the other?

COOL CORN posted:

I got that gifted to me during the Steam winter sale holiday gift train on these forums. I passed it off to another unsuspecting sucker...

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've played a handful of Talisman digital games, despite thinking that it's a terribly designed game. It's an interesting way to help you to understand why a bunch of its core mechanics (luckfest, getting 'toaded' and taken out of the game, snowball leader position, roll to move) are lovely.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Radioactive Toy posted:

Alright, ordering the new TTA from CSI and I'm looking to add on either Viticulture: Essential Edition or Argent to round out the order. I already have and enjoy Dung. Lords and Dung. Pets for my usual worker placements. Either of these give a unique enough experience to warrant a purchase over the other?

I got that gifted to me during the Steam winter sale holiday gift train on these forums. I passed it off to another unsuspecting sucker...

Argent is my vote. You get the ability to knock other people off of spaces you want, move people around, lock down rooms so that they can't be messed with, etc.

On top of that, the votes are a really neat victory mechanic since just about everything in the game has the potential to contribute towards a vote, but may or may not contribute towards a vote. There's a lot of guessing, second guessing, going for marks, and other things where you have to do the best you can with very imperfect information.

With the right group, it's probably my hands-down favorite game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Radioactive Toy posted:

Get Viticulture. You're much more likely to get it on the table.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So I'm really enjoying Puerto Rico, it's a great mix of mechanics, gameplay and causing screams of anguish as you load up the last boat with all that corn you've been stockpiling or grabbing that building someone's been eyeing all game. What else is out there with similar levels of interactivity and gameplay?

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

Merauder posted:

Holy gently caress that took way longer than 5 minutes, but I made it through!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

theroachman posted:

Holy gently caress that took way longer than 5 minutes, but I made it through!

On the other hand, I finished in like 2 minutes (because I basically said N/A for half the questions and got to skip entire pages since I never actually get to play games anymore).

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
If you liked the passive aggression of Puerto Rico, you should try Keyflower, Caylus, Agricola, and Dungeon Lords.

If you liked the Tableau building aspect of Puerto Rico, you should try Castles of Burgundy, La Granja, and Caverna.

If you liked the theme of Puerto Rico, you should try Mombasa, Archipelago, and Cards Against Humanity.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

Yeah there was this question, "On average, how often do you play games in your collection?" with possible answers ranging from 1 to 10 times. I think I'm in the < 1 segment. :smith:

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Impermanent posted:

If you liked the passive aggression of Puerto Rico, you should try Keyflower, Caylus, Agricola, and Dungeon Lords.

If you liked the Tableau building aspect of Puerto Rico, you should try Castles of Burgundy, La Granja, and Caverna.

If you liked the theme of Puerto Rico, you should try Mombasa, Archipelago, and Cards Against Humanity.

Keyflower has by far the most aggressive passive aggression of any game. I guess the only reason it's not outright aggression is that you're headbutting your opponent as you crush all their hopes and dreams.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.
Best Mage Knight starting position & hand ever.

Any guesses on my first move?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The End posted:

Keyflower has by far the most aggressive passive aggression of any game. I guess the only reason it's not outright aggression is that you're headbutting your opponent as you crush all their hopes and dreams.

Excellent.

Oh my god it has a million meeples and the player screens are little houses :3: