Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

OH also Justin promised to "modernize" the NEB and make Kinder Morgan go through a new process. Hasn't happened.

quote:

Last June, now-Prime Minister Justin Trudeau unveiled his party's environmental platform standing with his back to the Burrard Inlet in Vancouver's Kitsilano neighborhood. With a withering critique that Stephen Harper's government had "chosen to be a cheerleader instead of a referee" when it came to pipelines, he promised a complete overhaul of the National Energy Board assessment process.

The platform gave a detailed commitment to "modernize the National Energy Board, ensuring that its composition reflects regional views and has sufficient expertise in fields like environmental science, community development and Indigenous traditional knowledge."

It further extolled that a Liberal government would "ensure that environmental assessments include an analysis of upstream impacts and greenhouse gas emissions resulting from projects" and that they would "will undertake, in full partnership and consultation with First Nations, Inuit and the Métis Nation, a full review of laws, policies and operational practices."

It didn't end there.

During the election campaign the prime minister, when questioned on the Kinder Morgan review process at an event in B.C., explained that "no, they're not going to approve [Kinder Morgan] in January. Because we're going to change the government. And that process needs to be redone."

A few weeks later, after the government had been elected, Burnaby member of Parliament Terry Beech confirmed it. "Kinder Morgan will have to go through a new, revised process," he told a reporter.

Despite all this, that process is not being redone. Nor have any changes been implemented to meet the promises made in the election platform, including consideration around climate change, community concerns or Indigenous rights. In fact, when questioned on these promises, Minister of Natural Resources Jim Carr confirmed that the Kinder Morgan hearings would be moving forwards without a new process and with no transitional rules to meet the promises made on the campaign trail.

That's #RealChange!

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Honestly what really keeps me coming back to this thread is the hope that bunnyofdoom gives up his high school enthusiasm for the liberals when he realizes they're hypocrites and liars

Or not :smugbird:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Helsing posted:

Also the poor stay poor because that's a structural requirement of the economy. Financial literacy and family planning can help some individuals escape poverty but it's not going to change the fact our economy has a low rate of productivity, or that our businesses aren't innovative, or that Canada increasingly relies on selling raw resources instead of technology or manufactured goods.

I'm actually kind of curious as to what Canada could/should have done to diversify it's economy. I know there's the old story of Toyota preferring Canadian workers over American ones because we don't need a picture diagram on how to assemble cars or whatever but aside from big bulky things like cars (which has been gutted due to our currency being highly valued for such a long time anyway) what niche are we supposed to occupy manufacturing? You've got China making basically making everything from mundane plastic parts to iPhones and high tech manufacturers putting all their new fabs in South East Asia. We got brain drain because software dev is so much more lucrative across the border. It doesn't seem like there was anything we could've done anyway aside from make the pain less by lowering reliance on oil.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

we really should have a Cyril sneer version of this emote.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Eej posted:

I'm actually kind of curious as to what Canada could/should have done to diversify it's economy. I know there's the old story of Toyota preferring Canadian workers over American ones because we don't need a picture diagram on how to assemble cars or whatever but aside from big bulky things like cars (which has been gutted due to our currency being highly valued for such a long time anyway) what niche are we supposed to occupy manufacturing? You've got China making basically making everything from mundane plastic parts to iPhones and high tech manufacturers putting all their new fabs in South East Asia. We got brain drain because software dev is so much more lucrative across the border. It doesn't seem like there was anything we could've done anyway aside from make the pain less by lowering reliance on oil.

We could stop supporting small businesses with bullshit tax breaks.

Then invest that money back into a long term plan to revitalize our first tier universities with the understanding that the payoff will come in a decade.

Or we could just keep continuing with bullshit policies every 4 years that synchronize with elections that fall within 6 months of their passing.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Eej posted:

We produce some of the best software devs, they don't stay in Canada. There are no incentives for high tech outfits to operate in Canada.

We used to have a world leading nuclear power program, the conservatives killed it. (Since we control most of the world's uranium supply, this is doubly stupid).

We had a robust lumber processing industry, that has been amputated in favor of exporting raw logs.

Heavy manufacturers like Bombardier are discouraged by our own governments, when a domestic infrastructure project like the Canada Line comes up we buy from Germany or China.

This is just a handful of the industries we've killed outright or strangled on the vine while pursuing oil wealth. :shrug:

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Helsing posted:

It's always nice when an American recognizes the real pioneer of Donald Trump's campaign style:

One of the truly depressing things about working on the last campaign was the realization that 20% (maybe 30%?) of my fellow citizens would get sexually aroused if they ever had the chance to put the rest of us up against a wall.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
To be fair if Bombardier is the best we can do then maybe we don't deserve a heavy manufacturing sector anyway.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Rime posted:

Heavy manufacturers like Bombardier are discouraged by our own governments, when a domestic infrastructure project like the Canada Line comes up we buy from Germany or China.

tbf this is because Bombardier massively fucks up every project they get handed, and they get handed a lot because for a long time we were completely committed to made-in-Canada products for things like new streetcars. But Bombardier's takeover by MBAs ruined the company and now they can't even weld metal together properly anymore while still somehow being massively over budget and behind schedule.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rime posted:

If only we gave companies like Bombardier a chance :(

Or Corel. Or Nortel.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Um how about snc lolvalin

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Cultural Imperial posted:

Um how about snc lolvalin

Those great Canadians got in trouble when the established international rules about grease payments the company paid were publicized. Some countries you gotta grease.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I almost forgot the company that hosed up obamacare

CGI

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
What company did hal describe as Canada's Google?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Hootsuite???

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

I almost forgot the company that hosed up obamacare

CGI

Also famous for the 2 million billion dollar gun registry.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Ikantski posted:

Also famous for the 2 million billion dollar gun registry.

really? [citation needed]

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Ignore "too big to fail" companies like Bombardier and work on policies that benefit small to medium sized narrowly focused manufacturing companies. Germany has enjoyed great success due to its Mittelstand, let's copy that.

The best examples I can think of are in apparel. Reigning Champ and Canada Goose are super focused on a small area and create made in Canada products that are best in their class.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

really? [citation needed]

It was a thing when it came out that CGI was bank rolling the association of police chiefs who who were lobbying heavy to keep the registry.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Firearms_Registry

quote:

The Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police are strongly supportive of the gun registry, claiming that getting rid of the registry will make Canada less safe, and compromise the ability of law enforcement to deal effectively with gun violence. However, support for the registry among Chiefs of Police is not unanimous.

There have also been serious questions raised regarding donations made to the CACP by CGI Group, the corporation behind the registry. These donations were partially responsible for the resignation of ethicist Dr. John Jones from the CACP's ethics committee.

Furthermore, the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police has been criticized for suppressing opposition to the registry among its own law enforcement officers. These allegations have been disputed.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

It's a shame that Bombardier still hasn't spun off its rail division because it feels like everything on that side is great. Skytrain tech imo is fantastic and it's baffling that it's not more widespread.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
man gently caress CGI forever. Are they loving behind the compass card as well?

Also, gently caress these guys

http://umbracity.com/

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

man gently caress CGI forever. Are they loving behind the compass card as well?

Also, gently caress these guys

http://umbracity.com/

They already have this in Japan. When you leave a store/restaurant you find that someone has stolen your $2 umbrella, so you steal someone elses. The system works.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Femtosecond posted:

They already have this in Japan. When you leave a store/restaurant you find that someone has stolen your $2 umbrella, so you steal someone elses. The system works.

They have it in London too, it's called the train station's lost and found desk.

(I was really weirded out when I visited Kyoto and went into a store that had lockable umbrella racks)

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Femtosecond posted:

well vancouverites do excel at being raging assholes soo

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Seat Safety Switch posted:

They have it in London too, it's called the train station's lost and found desk.

(I was really weirded out when I visited Kyoto and went into a store that had lockable umbrella racks)

Well you wouldn't want someone to run off with your limited edition collectible Madoka umbrella that you won at the prize draw at your local Gamers now, would you?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://business.financialpost.com/n...-panda-offering

quote:

Given the chance, not too many borrowers would pass the opportunity to tap into a new group of investors and raising debt capital.

But opportunities aren’t given. Instead, they have to be created as the province of British Columbia found out this week when it priced its first so-called Panda bond. The bond — B.C. will borrow 3-billion renminbi on the inshore Chinese bond market — came with a 2.95 per cent coupon and a three-year term.

It’s understood the province is the first sovereign to borrow in the Panda market — though at least two international borrowers, the International Financing Corp. and the Asian Development Bank, have raised capital there in the past.

Michael de Jong, the province’s Finance Minister, said the bond issue “represents our commitment to build stronger, more robust ties with China’s financial and economic markets and the broader Asia-Pacific region. British Columbia’s triple-A credit rating gives our Province access to markets and investors we couldn’t otherwise reach, and China’s onshore market provides access to a diverse, relatively untapped group of investors.”

This week’s issue came less than two months after the province was granted approval for a 6-billion RMB program.

It takes time and lots of negotiations to be in a position to raise debt capital in China. And de Jong, the finance minister since September 2012, has invested the so-called hard yards in building links with China. He has been there on six occasions (twice in the past two months) and, to the chagrin of his staff, travels economy class.

hey uh this bond is denominated in RMB

loving lol

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

:cripes:

I, for one, welcome our sinoverlords

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

vyelkin posted:

tbf this is because Bombardier massively fucks up every project they get handed, and they get handed a lot because for a long time we were completely committed to made-in-Canada products for things like new streetcars. But Bombardier's takeover by MBAs ruined the company and now they can't even weld metal together properly anymore while still somehow being massively over budget and behind schedule.

The solution seems simple: kill or exile all the MBAs.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

MonsieurChoc posted:

This has never been not the solution for anything.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MonsieurChoc posted:

It may not fix everything, but it would fix a lot of things!

I have a friend who went to school for business, and now that he's trying to start his own business, he's asking me basic poo poo about accounting and taxation and record-keeping (all of which I basically taught myself, along with help from professionals when I got stuck). What the gently caress do they teach in a 4-year business program if not those things?

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

Worked well for Cambodia

Descend to slumber
May 12, 2001

PT6A posted:

I have a friend who went to school for business, and now that he's trying to start his own business, he's asking me basic poo poo about accounting and taxation and record-keeping (all of which I basically taught myself, along with help from professionals when I got stuck). What the gently caress do they teach in a 4-year business program if not those things?

Aren't business degrees just about charging prospective graduates to develop relationships and to be socialized so that they act like business people rather than developing real skills or providing actual training?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

A rotten bastard posted:

Aren't business degrees just about charging prospective graduates to develop relationships and to be socialized so that they act like business people rather than developing real skills or providing actual training?

Yes. And that's why an MBA from sfu, ubc, or loving royal roads is worthless

But the key here is to develop relationships. You don't loving get an MBA to learn anything.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
--

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 2, 2016

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

He described Bourque as being obsessed with guns, video games, heavy metal music and dependent on marijuana. The judge also suggested Bourque may have been struggling with drug withdrawal in the week before the shootings because he had run out of money to buy marijuana.

Another victim of the war on drugs imo.

The most fascinating public policy topic of our times.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

I think they generally learn how to outsource to the cheapest provider and cover their asses. Seems the guy picked all that up just fine.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

EoRaptor posted:

I think they generally learn how to outsource to the cheapest provider and cover their asses. Seems the guy picked all that up just fine.

Touché...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

cougar cub posted:

Worked well for Cambodia

Ouch.

I better get some ointment for that burn.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I've always assumed MBAs were just an $120,000 barrier to keep the poors out of management :shrug:

Considering I've never met anyone who's actually said they've learned anything from it, its literally impossible to fail out, and their only reason for doing it is "I need one for a management position these days and I'll earn more money".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
it's another way the university-business complex makes a lot of money while weeding out people who shouldn't be there (poors, the working class)