Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005
I have to say, I need to give subs in fleet battles a whack. They're like catnip for destroyers. They get hyperfocus on the subs and forget the rest of the world exists, Constantly trying to depth charge me while getting dunked on by everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

I have to say, I need to give subs in fleet battles a whack. They're like catnip for destroyers. They get hyperfocus on the subs and forget the rest of the world exists, Constantly trying to depth charge me while getting dunked on by everyone else.

I mean dunking subs is the absolute most fun thing DDs get to do so I can hardly blame them.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
In a fleet battle you'll just be the first one to die to planes before you ever get in sight of the enemy BBs or CVs.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

If you guys want to go maximum tryhard, it seems 5v5 is mode to do so.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I present to you, the most hosed up loss I will ever have.

The worst part: my shots to kill their DD were in the air when we lost, and went through him about a second after the game ended.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
I see I am not the only one with teams that were too heavy to carry today.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I fired a couple spreads of torpedoes at some BBs while loving around in the fubuki to make them move or turn and killed all three of them.

None of those torpedoes were intended to hit! Those were area denial 3.5km torpedoes! How! How did they all die to those! :psyduck:

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Night10194 posted:

I fired a couple spreads of torpedoes at some BBs while loving around in the fubuki to make them move or turn and killed all three of them.

None of those torpedoes were intended to hit! Those were area denial 3.5km torpedoes! How! How did they all die to those! :psyduck:

Very carefully

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Sitting in sniper mode oblivious to anything around them, busy hitting nothing at all.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
We all know that moving messes with your accuracy and lowers your disguise :v:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
I'm having a frustrating time with Battleships lately. I guess it's the slow reload times, slow movement etc that gets me. I either completely gently caress up leading the target and watch a nice tight spread plonk into the ocean 50m ahead of the target, or I lead perfectly and every shell seems magnetically repulsed by the targets hull and either lands right next to them or fails to penetrate. Reload times are so long that every miss is very punishing and its aggravating ending battles doing less than 1000 damage. Not to mention your own effectiveness being at the mercy of your teams DD scouting skill.

I find heavy cruisers, specifically the Pensacola to be better. While it's much harder to pen battleships, it gets most of the perks of battleships with faster reload and a more nimble hull. But that could also just be because Pepsicola is tier V and my Nevada is tier IV.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Watching Mazz scout with DDs has helped me quite a bit, simply following him around and emulating his movement. It definitely feels good to go from getting dunked first to racking up 4 or 5 kills in a match. Porter is a nice little ship, and I think I'm going to have it be my go to elite ship.

Tier 5 seems like a nice point to use elite ships. You get full renown, plenty of other players will be matched with you so queue times are short, and you have a nice platform to turbolevel your crew.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Yeah the key to good DD is knowing how to manage your positioning, smoke, and shooting, which mostly comes from practice at tier 4 and 5 IMO. You basically need to focus on being hard to pin down through spotting distance advantages/unpredictable movement all the while getting really used to the lead of DD guns so you can outshoot pub DDs while doing this. If you get a handle on those things you'll generally beat most pub DDs pretty handily, and once they're dead you're free to do more hard spotting against CAs and BBs. Having a good crew for the extra spotting and disguise makes a substantial difference, especially as you go up in tiers and boats get better at punishing your mistakes. Fleet battles and 5v5s are no different, just less room for error and bad judgements.

It will sometimes feel like you aren't directly contributing by just hanging out but just being alive longer than the enemy DDs is generally a very good path to winning games. Unless of course nobody else on your team is capable of hitting anything or staying alive in the process, but even than a good DD can carry a bad team further the anything but a very good CV

Playing a lot of Shiratsuyu or Porter is definitely the best tier for DD practice IMO, because 5 is when BBs really start to hit like trucks and the large game size gives you practice in all areas. If you can excel in that bracket you'll be fine in most other games, really only losing to the DDs that outspot or outshoot you.

EDIT: also, the lessons you kinda learn at 2-4 about trying to get in close to torp all the bad BBs is something that you have to shake pretty quickly. Range actually becomes your best friend in high tier unless the situation lets you get really close under cover. Slim killed a full health Nagato yesterday in his Kagero just by keeping him at 3.7km and shooting him like 1000 times. Dude couldn't see him back, even when he shot.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 22, 2016

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

1) gently caress pubbies. I'm not good enough to carry that hard.

2) Especially gently caress pubbies who claim I'm not doing anything, and that's the only reason I'm not dead.

3) But really, especially gently caress anyone from the Confederate clan. Though they did react pretty funny when I complimented them on their historical accuracy. See, they died without accomplishing anything, just like the real confederate navy. (Also, I laughed my rear end off when one actually answered to "Hey racist confederate guy" in global chat)

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Warning: Do not play this game drunk it makes pubbies worse.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Log082 posted:

2) Especially gently caress pubbies who claim I'm not doing anything, and that's the only reason I'm not dead.

"Killsteal more" - A Pubbie who did 1/3rd of the damage I did that match.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Apprently Sunday night/Monday will have an event that gives 1.5x crew exp on your second win. While it probably won't happen, I really REALLY want to elite one of my tier 5 ships by then because I could nail several events in just 2 games- bonus silver for using a tier 5, +50,000 silver for winning twice in an elite ship, 2x first win of the day and 1.5x second win of the day plus accelerated crew training.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS
The matchmaker is still getting really screwed up by groups, even at max size 3. Just had a t6/t7 game where one side had 1CV and 5 subs, and my side had no carrier and 2 subs. We had some more CA/CL's and I think 1 more destroyer than them, but it was amazingly lopsided.

Pubbie flagships in t5 matches continue to be the worst, especially when it's a Repulse. Ended a game in a draw at 8 seconds left because he wouldn't run the hell away. I took a barrage of torps in my Wyoming but he just sat there firing at poo poo.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

FYI: There are now two time periods for fleet battles. The new time period for fleet battles is starting in roughly 20 minutes as of this post and lasts for two hours. This is in addition to the old time period.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Jeez, freaking pubbies... my very first match in this game, i'm cruising around shooting a couple enemy destroyers up in my tier 1 US ship, and some moron on my own team sends 4 torps into me from behind.

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero
Anyone up for fleet battles in a few min? :)

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

El_Molestadore posted:

Anyone up for fleet battles in a few min? :)

I think we ended - we were 4 for 6 or 5 for 7, did pretty well. Both lost matches were vs 3 CV on the Bering Straight map. One loss was due to cap, 8v10, we had 2 BB left and they had 2 CV, so we held our own really well.

Overall pretty fun/good - I got anti-air net like 4 battles in a row due to all the planes

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Got the Deutchland. It's awful.
Terrible AAA, slower than the battleships of your tier with zero possible engine upgrades, armor is nothing special, and the guns are relatively inaccurate.

As somebody who normally managed around 70% wins I'm sitting at 8/8 losses in this thing. It just cannot pull its own weight.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 23, 2016

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
Is there any reason to keep the Repulse now that I have an elite Nevada and a Pennsylvania that needs to be leveled?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Humbaba posted:

Is there any reason to keep the Repulse now that I have an elite Nevada and a Pennsylvania that needs to be leveled?

If you like it. Like me.

There's also good reason to believe that you get more xp than usual in the Repulse because its technically a premium ship. Useful for training crews.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Fleet battles resurge in 20 minutes. Come witness the new advanced goon tactics of "run away and shoot all their planes"

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

You mean we finally have a carrier counter strat?

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero

Pervis posted:

I think we ended - we were 4 for 6 or 5 for 7, did pretty well. Both lost matches were vs 3 CV on the Bering Straight map. One loss was due to cap, 8v10, we had 2 BB left and they had 2 CV, so we held our own really well.

Overall pretty fun/good - I got anti-air net like 4 battles in a row due to all the planes

Yeah, I was there. Fun times :)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
I think I'm reconsidering how much I dislike playing BBs...

Used HE until I ran out of ammo. For the life of me I don't understand how that Hatsuharu got more exp than I did considering I was 7/0 and did 1000 more damage than him.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Panfilo posted:

Used HE until I ran out of ammo. For the life of me I don't understand how that Hatsuharu got more exp than I did considering I was 7/0 and did 1000 more damage than him.

It's all about the spotting xp. He was probably the one lighting up most of what you killed.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Log082 posted:

You mean we finally have a carrier counter strat?

Yeah, get all our Wyoming's together and use massed AA to shoot all the planes. It worked well, except for the one time we were outnumbered by 2 and couldn't huddle up near where our cap was, so eventually the two enemy CV's who were the only ones alive capped. We always seem to get the ice map against 3 CV's, which is odd.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Log082 posted:

It's all about the spotting xp. He was probably the one lighting up most of what you killed.

Ah, that explains why both of us got nearly the same amount of exp then. A good spotter and BB can dominate these games!

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Pervis posted:

Yeah, get all our Wyoming's together and use massed AA to shoot all the planes. It worked well, except for the one time we got too close and our own BB's blew eachother up

Fixed that for you.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Ise's main battery is so goddamn satisfying when some idiot sails straight and you've got the calibrated accuracy pre-dialed.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Groggy nard posted:

Fixed that for you.

I'm still surprised that we didn't manage to torpedo each other outside of sudoku.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General
I've been intending to level up through the German BB line, but it's just so hard to do when American BB's are just SO loving GOOD!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Nevada, especially, is a huge jump in power from the already amazing Wyoming.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Night10194 posted:

The Nevada, especially, is a huge jump in power from the already amazing Wyoming.

The only problem is the 2 flak guns compared to the 8 on the Wyoming (and 4 on the Pennsylvania). I haven't seen many carriers at t5 recently so it hasn't bee much of a problem, but early on it could be real frustrating since a Wyoming can swat carrier planes effectively while the Nevada had no shot at it.

Overall the US BB line seem consistently strong from 4 to 6 and the Colorado at least looks decent at t7. I'm still 50k exp or so away from it but it seems to hold it's own in t7 matches. About the only semi-weak US ships I've encountered were the Omaha (lovely gun setup, giant loving hit area on the ship), and the Benson (4x 1 main artillery is pretty loving weak compared to it's t6 counterparts). I have no idea about the sub line though.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Pervis posted:

The only problem is the 2 flak guns compared to the 8 on the Wyoming (and 4 on the Pennsylvania). I haven't seen many carriers at t5 recently so it hasn't bee much of a problem, but early on it could be real frustrating since a Wyoming can swat carrier planes effectively while the Nevada had no shot at it.

Overall the US BB line seem consistently strong from 4 to 6 and the Colorado at least looks decent at t7. I'm still 50k exp or so away from it but it seems to hold it's own in t7 matches. About the only semi-weak US ships I've encountered were the Omaha (lovely gun setup, giant loving hit area on the ship), and the Benson (4x 1 main artillery is pretty loving weak compared to it's t6 counterparts). I have no idea about the sub line though.

The AA is really not a big deal as in pub games a good 5+ CV will kill you with 2 guns or 8. The South Dakota has 12 and a good tier 7 CV will end it because they won't attack piecemeal but with 2-3 squadrons.

The Colorado is much closer to a german BB than the US ones. 8 guns that don't have the best groupings and like to hit the wrong parts of the boat so they don't pen. It also has less total damage per volley than the Pennsylvania that proceeds it. If you are in a platoon with good other players it can carry its weight just fine, but for instance in 5v5s I'd rather bring the Pennsylvania when I'm allowed in a BB and not DD. The Pennsylvania just has this assurance of damage every shot the Colorado does not. Think Nevada vs Repulse.

The South Dakota is good at 8 but the German boats start to get equally good, better in some ways at tier 7 (the Scharn being the best tier 7) and stay good until 10. The Japanese are good but not exceptional all the way up, I've fought 2 Yamatos so far and they don't seem overly dangerous. The only Iowa I've really fought was manned by probably the best dude in Russian Alliance and loving nuked me for over 8000 in one volley, but I still almost killed him with quickload nazi.

As you go up in tier, the whole "win the spotting war" gets ever more important. Any of the high tier boats can dunk you for 4-6k from ~6000m with relative ease.

US boats get better firepower at the expense of range. This matters less with a good DD but can be noticeable in the games where you get weird matchups and are expected to spot and shoot things at max distance and stuff. Tier 8 is weird.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hatsuharu is hero of war. Good boat.

• Locked thread