Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Wait, it's totally intentional? Not in some poverty-ridden country, where they cobbled a shower out of things they found in the garbage, but hipsters in Brooklyn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If you feel tingling in your head you're too close to the shower and/or need to wear thicker shower shoes.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

there wolf posted:

I think the owner just isn't that good with some kinds of construction/craftsmanship and chooses to see it as an aesthetic instead of lovely work.

See also: that guy on imgur who "upcycled" reclaimed timber into a (poorly made) set of bookshelves.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

~Coxy posted:

See also: that guy on imgur who "upcycled" reclaimed timber into a (poorly made) set of bookshelves.

That's trying something new and executing poorly.

there wolf posted:

What happens when you build a bathroom out of leftovers from other jobs?

This is just intentional wrong-headedness on so many levels.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

there wolf posted:

I think the owner just isn't that good with some kinds of construction/craftsmanship and chooses to see it as an aesthetic instead of lovely work. Also I can't look at those two chunks of stone without thinking they exist just to cover a person's boobs and crotch to keep the PG-13 rating.

I too was thinking they were the modesty mortar leavings.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Your pain wont last for long when you slip in the shower and get slashed or blunt trauma to your head from those bricks.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Nitrox posted:

Wait, it's totally intentional? Not in some poverty-ridden country, where they cobbled a shower out of things they found in the garbage, but hipsters in Brooklyn?
Ukrainian village in Chicago. Which, I don't know much about Brooklyn, but I feel safe saying is even more hipster-filled than Brooklyn will ever be. Nothing about that apartment surprises me.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

re: these joists/hangers

1. Is this as half assed and stupid as it looks?
2. Am I going to die?

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

NancyPants posted:

2. Am I going to die?

Yes

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I knew I should have tried to protect the low-hanging fruit.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

NancyPants posted:

2. Am I going to die?

I'm not remotely a construction expert, but it looks to me like the hangers are meant for a slightly less-wide board than the boards the builder used (e.g. the difference between a true-dimensional 2x8 and a "normal" 2x8). So they trimmed the end of the board down a half-inch or so. This doesn't look to me like the kind of thing that greatly decreases the strength of the board. I mean, it's weaker than if they hadn't trimmed it down, sure, but I'd guess you're still well within the safety margins, assuming everything else was done properly of course.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
The notching is fine, that's well within permitted boundaries. The separation of the joists from the beam concerns me a bit, although that might actually be okay with a top flange hanger; I'm not sure.

That all looks like a deck though, so it's definitely half assed even if it is structurally sound.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Zhentar posted:

The notching is fine, that's well within permitted boundaries. The separation of the joists from the beam concerns me a bit, although that might actually be okay with a top flange hanger; I'm not sure.

That all looks like a deck though, so it's definitely half assed even if it is structurally sound.

I think they are top flange hangers, actually, if those are what they sound like. I mean my other half has lived here for a few years and no one has died of floor collapse, I sort of assumed they just look like poo poo but you never know.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Those are definitely top flange hangers, I just don't know the rules for nailing top flange hangers.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

NancyPants posted:

re: these joists/hangers

2. Am I going to die?

Is that the basement of a residential house or a commercial building? Those 2x10s should be bolted together every couple of feet to carry the load.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

The Gardenator posted:

Is that the basement of a residential house or a commercial building? Those 2x10s should be bolted together every couple of feet to carry the load.

Paper factory converted into loft apartments. The 2x10s for the beams are bolted together every two feet or so which hopefully counteracts the fact that many of them are split lengthwise in places.

It's like someone cut all the joists too short by an inch or so.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

NancyPants posted:

It's like someone cut all the joists too short by an inch or so.

Or maybe the building was made an inch too long!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

If you feel tingling in your head you're too close to the shower and/or need to wear thicker shower shoes.

It's ok you turn on the light by pressing the "reset" button on the GFCI.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
A friend of mine inherited a house that was built prior to grounded outlets being a thing.

She has asked me if I can update a select number of outlets to be three prong.

Is there a guideline for how to do this properly? I would assume that simply swapping two prong outlets to three prong is dumb, but I also don't want to stumble into rewiring a whole house either.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

`Nemesis posted:

A friend of mine inherited a house that was built prior to grounded outlets being a thing.

Is there a guideline for how to do this properly? I would assume that simply swapping two prong outlets to three prong is dumb, but I also don't want to stumble into rewiring a whole house either.

You can replace the two prong outlets with GFCI outlets for the safety benefits. The equipment still won't be grounded though.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

`Nemesis posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3090739&pagenumber=49&perpage=40#post399240083

A very nice* goon wrote this up.

* Surly

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Awesome, thanks

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

`Nemesis posted:

Is there a guideline for how to do this properly?

Yep!

I'm not that surly :downs:

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 25, 2016

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

`Nemesis posted:

Is this so she can plug in your printer?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
And now, the opposite of crappy construction, when a well built building is demolished improperly: https://i.imgur.com/wlwvsmF.gifv

(queue Katamari music)

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Is this so she can plug in your printer?

We could use one of those prong adapter things for that, but it just doesn't feel as good.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

`Nemesis posted:

You could just do what the previous owners of my house did and install 3 prong outlets everywhere and totally not ground them. If I ever get hold of those people, I swear I'll have to sell my tools for bond money.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Anubis posted:

You could just do what the previous owners of my house did and install 3 prong outlets everywhere and totally not ground them. If I ever get hold of those people, I swear I'll have to sell my tools for bond money.
Did they ignore the existing ground or there wasn't one in a first place?

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

Anubis posted:

A previous owner did this to my house and I want them to come back alive so they can die again (actually, no she was a really sweet old thing with poo poo children).

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

My previous house had a fake power outlet installed. Just the faceplate, glued straight to the wall. I guess maybe they thought people weren't buying it because there wasn't an outlet in that particular part of the living room?

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Nitrox posted:

Did they ignore the existing ground or there wasn't one in a first place?

Wasn't one in the first place, apparently. At least not one run up to all the boxes. I've yet to actually fix the problem but if I had known about it before I moved in it wouldn't have been half as big of a deal as it is now that I figured it out years after moving in.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Anubis posted:

This is why I carry an outlet tester when out house hunting, it's disturbingly common.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Watch out: Most of the outlets in the original part of my house had three prong outlets with the ground pin jumpered to neutral.

Tests as properly wired with an outlet tester yet manages to be less safe than no ground at all.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Shifty Pony posted:

Watch out: Most of the outlets in the original part of my house had three prong outlets with the ground pin jumpered to neutral.

Tests as properly wired with an outlet tester yet manages to be less safe than no ground at all.

Indeed, my brother in law blew up an expensive vacuum and retro keyboard to such subterfuge.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.
Bought my house a little over a year ago. It's ~115 years old, but someone along the way redid all plumbing and electrical. But there's so much weird poo poo going on with the outlets. Most of them hold plugs in loosely, I assume they're old and lost structure. So I'm going to need to replace most of them at some point. Then, a good number of them aren't completely screwed into the box, so they're wiggly. I painted and replaced the outlet covers in two rooms, and found that when the plugs are screwed all the way in, there's a gap between the plug and the cover. I assume they drywalled over the plaster, so they just left everything slightly loose to line up with the covers instead of putting spacers or something in there. Then there's one plug, that has new romex pulled to it, but they snipped the ground wire back to the sheath, so I can't actually attach it to the plug. Luckily it's under some built in shelves, so it's never going to get used. I may just put a blank over it since I don't think there's enough slack to pull more into the box and rewire it. So much stupid stuff in this house. I guess it's not too bad in the grand scheme of things, though.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Anubis posted:

Anorexic Sea Turtle posted:

A previous owner did this to my house and I want them to come back alive so they can die again (actually, no she was a really sweet old thing with poo poo children).

FYI, there is a specific circumstance where it is legal to not have a ground wire going all the way to the outlet's ground terminal and still have proper grounding protection.

1. The boxes are metal,
2. The boxes themselves are grounded,
3. Self grounding receptacles are used

Panthrax posted:

Bought my house a little over a year ago. It's ~115 years old, but someone along the way redid all plumbing and electrical. But there's so much weird poo poo going on with the outlets. Most of them hold plugs in loosely, I assume they're old and lost structure. So I'm going to need to replace most of them at some point. Then, a good number of them aren't completely screwed into the box, so they're wiggly. I painted and replaced the outlet covers in two rooms, and found that when the plugs are screwed all the way in, there's a gap between the plug and the cover. I assume they drywalled over the plaster, so they just left everything slightly loose to line up with the covers instead of putting spacers or something in there. Then there's one plug, that has new romex pulled to it, but they snipped the ground wire back to the sheath, so I can't actually attach it to the plug. Luckily it's under some built in shelves, so it's never going to get used. I may just put a blank over it since I don't think there's enough slack to pull more into the box and rewire it. So much stupid stuff in this house. I guess it's not too bad in the grand scheme of things, though.

You got the right idea to replace outlets that are so worn out that they not longer hold plugs in. If you do need longer screws to attach devices to their boxes, then buy #6-32 screws.

As for the short snipped ground, if you can manage to pull out an inch, then use a push on nut to attach an extension into it.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 26, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

kid sinister posted:

As for the short snipped ground, if you can manage to pull out an inch, then use a push on nut to attach an extension into it.

Can you give an example of a "push on nut"? I googled but I see a variety of things that are called this.

e. Like these?
http://www.amazon.com/Wago-Corporation-51038058-Connector-773-164/dp/B000GAUZG8

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 26, 2016

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

The people in the apartment above me had a door handle that was put in backwards by the contractor. The door wouldn't close unless you turned the handle because the flat part of the latch would hit the doorframe. Spent 5 minutes flipping it around for them.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Panthrax posted:

:hfive:

He-ey! Sounds exactly like my place!

You should go through and replace all the crappy receptacles with new duplex receptacles. If there's a gap between the box and the faceplate, you should buy these box extenders so it's not a fire hazard. Replacing the receptacles allows you to check for arcing/burn marks and whatnot, which I found in several of mine. You should also put GFCI's in your kitchen and bathroom if they're not already in there. Heads up if you've got old metal boxes, you might have to swap them out with old work boxes to fit the larger gfcis. The wings flip out and hold it against the wall.

With the short ground wire, strip it back a bit further and pigtail a bit of similar gauge wire to it with a wire nut to reach the receptacle. It'll attach to the green screw.

If you've got any interest in doing more electrical stuff, I highly highly recommend picking up Black and Deckers complete guide to wiring. You could even check it out at your library. It's got easy, straightforward instructions with lots of pictures and diagrams, really helpful stuff.

Good luck! There's also a wiring thread here too, if you've got questions. People over there have been really helpful when I've had dumb questions.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I was wrong, ignore this post.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 27, 2016