Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
When you sign in to myRSI or whatever does that instantly make you online on the forum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Octopode posted:

From several pages ago, but this got me curious as to how much of the Star Citizen community really is active on their forums, so I checked. The RSI forum's Vanilla software helpfully exposes the last time a user account logged into the forums, so it wasn't too hard to pull the data for every user account.

Between 12/24/15 and 1/23/16, 49,906 different user accounts logged into the forums. From 1/16/16 to 1/23/16, 22,859 user accounts logged in. On 1/22/16 alone (since I didn't get a full day's worth of data on the 23rd), 4,130 accounts logged in. In the last year, 222,862 accounts have been active.

Take from that data whatever you will.

This is very interesting Octopode, thank you. Can you do monthly figures since November 2013 if it's not too much trouble?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Eonwe posted:

what the gently caress

Some dudes like to gently caress cars our trees this guy likes pictures of spaceships

With lti

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
I just read the Sandi meltdown mails, what's next in the trainwreck queue? Please provide SC entertainment

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

holy poo poo, this nutcase scares me.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Eonwe posted:

When you sign in to myRSI or whatever does that instantly make you online on the forum

It doesn't appear so. You have to actually make some sort of request against the forum API with your user token for it to count, so you'd have to actually view a forum page or the like. If you logged in and looked at your account settings, it would probably count, since some of that is pulled from the forums database.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

RattiRatto posted:

I just read the Sandi meltdown mails, what's next in the trainwreck queue? Please provide SC entertainment

2 weeks

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.

mrking posted:

from this wiki, they even modeled the unboxing... truly a visionary in digital models of digital space ships.

I'd seen better looking spaceships sitting unsold on dollar store shelves when I was a kid. That's embarrassing.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

Eonwe posted:

2 weeks

I mean has any entertainment content been generated after Sandi mails? I'm still missing whatever came after

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Agrajag posted:

holy poo poo, this nutcase scares me.

Personally I feel sorry for anyone who can't find fulfilment from a hanger full of premium jpegs with life time insurance. That's a lifetimes peace of mind bro

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

RattiRatto posted:

I mean has any entertainment content been generated after Sandi mails? I'm still missing whatever came after

no not really

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TTerrible posted:

Probably means B4tBG given how strongly some of them feel about his BETRAYAL. :argh:

I am Space Satan.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

AP posted:

This is very interesting Octopode, thank you. Can you do monthly figures since November 2013 if it's not too much trouble?

I don't keep historical data around, so I can't really do discrete monthly looks at a point in time like that. I can only see the most recent date which an account was active. It's also complicated by the fact that they did a database structure change sometime in 2014 or so, so some of the older data appears to be unreliable, such as having the UNIX epoch as a date.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
bootcha has made some funny valentine's cards, you could filter his posts

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

RattiRatto posted:

Octopode is back. The comedy is coming from INSIDE THE THREAD.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Octopode posted:

It doesn't appear so. You have to actually make some sort of request against the forum API with your user token for it to count, so you'd have to actually view a forum page or the like. If you logged in and looked at your account settings, it would probably count, since some of that is pulled from the forums database.

thank you

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Can you imagine being a developer working on SC? Every key you tap bears the weight of the hopeless and the disenfranchised. Is this the line of code that drives Dowlphin to pitch himself out a window?

Nah I'm just joking, programmers are aspy kids who don't understand human.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

RattiRatto posted:

Derek went on ones of those ten hour internet discussion shows and shouted let me loving finish when someone interrupted him. That was funny.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Beexoffel posted:

Yes, this is how I joined SA.
Except step 1 for me was "Why is this Star Citizen thread on the Elite Dangerous forums being closed for cooldown every week?".

The mods for that thread have a real hard on for SC, so they close the thread when ever it gets to critical of SC.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

RattiRatto posted:

how about a Sandi meltdown live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUFZEi2LbOg

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

1500 posted:

The mods for that thread have a real hard on for SC, so they close the thread when ever it gets to critical of SC.

It's usually the cultists who get it locked as they start flinging personal insults whenever it gets too critical for them to cope.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Berious posted:

Derek went on ones of those ten hour internet discussion shows and shouted let me loving finish when someone interrupted him. That was funny.

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CYXiY3MWYAQwgje.mp4

e: credit to whichever one of you retards made that.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

fuctifino posted:

A pistol vs The Constellation.

e: I can't seem to a find a way to just link to the webm. It automatically embeds it in the post.

e2: Ah, that did it.

But is that pistol shooting physical projectiles or laser/energy bullets?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

fuctifino posted:

A pistol vs The Constellation.

e: I can't seem to a find a way to just link to the webm. It automatically embeds it in the post.

e2: Ah, that did it.

Let me guess.... they were lazy (surprise) during the initial numbers creation.

So damage from a ship based 120mm cannon to a ship does lets say "5.00 damage"

But then the laziness went even further and they used the same damage output for the foot based weapons, "HEY LETS MAKE THE PISTOL DO "3.00 damage!, and the Sperg Rifle "6.00" damage because it's more powerful!"

Then they forgot that the pistols can shoot at space ships so you're essentially hitting the ship with 5 blasts from a howitzer

Or I'm spergin' out hardcore

Either way once again they managed to gently caress up something of the most basic nature

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

:cripes:
Yes, pushing a single or a handful of updated files based on a simple hash look-up out is creating “considerable work” compared to constantly doing the exact same thing, and then packing up those changes, encrypting the file, and pushing 9.9GB of worthless data down the pipe to every tester idiot.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

TTerrible posted:

Octopode is back. The comedy is coming from INSIDE THE THREAD.

I enjoy reading Octopode's posts to be honest. They're just pure emotionless data as he understands it. I'm not really concerned too much about whether or not he's right - it's just entertaining to have our very own Commander Data pop in at impossible to predict intervals to drop these sentences that read like they're part of a user manual for an unknown device. And the hell of it is, he is right sometimes. Does everyone just give him poo poo because he takes CIG's statements at face value?

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

Out of the box, how big is the game so far? Like 80GB? And there is just a bunch of spaceships and empty space mainly

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Rhubarb94 posted:

It's usually the cultists who get it locked as they start flinging personal insults whenever it gets too critical for them to cope.

Ya but no action is taking by the mods, instead its just locked, the critical posters get a talking to and it moves on.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Scruffpuff posted:

I enjoy reading Octopode's posts to be honest. They're just pure emotionless data as he understands it. I'm not really concerned too much about whether or not he's right - it's just entertaining to have our very own Commander Data pop in at impossible to predict intervals to drop these sentences that read like they're part of a user manual for an unknown device. And the hell of it is, he is right sometimes. Does everyone just give him poo poo because he takes CIG's statements at face value?

No friend, people give him poo poo because he is apparently an expert in whatever needs to be discussed at the time. It helps that he is usually copy pasting things from wikipedia and doesn't understand what he is posting. It's a flavour explosion of funny.

EDIT: Note how he makes authoritative statements about CIGs database schema.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

RattiRatto posted:

Out of the box, how big is the game so far? Like 80GB? And there is just a bunch of spaceships and empty space mainly

Not quite, my SC folder is 28gb.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DoUIoSPh6w

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

TTerrible posted:

No friend, people give him poo poo because he is apparently an expert in whatever needs to be discussed at the time. It helps that he is usually copy pasting things from wikipedia and doesn't understand what he is posting. It's a flavour explosion of funny.

EDIT: Note how he makes authoritative statements about CIGs database schema.

OK I kinda see that. Still, that hardly makes him unique. I've run into people like that my entire life. No matter what subject you're talking about, there's always a few guys who kick in with "See whatchu gotta do is..." regardless of their understanding of the subject matter. It's either funny or infuriating depending on your point of view. I find it enjoyable and listen raptly to those guys myself.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Don't kink shame

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Ben, we know you read the SA forums; you should visit the FYAD sub-forum!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

RattiRatto posted:

I don't think the game has grown past the initial 20-30gb , they just keep 'patching' the full download size every few days

Would hate to be on a metered internet connection and be a whale

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I made a quick playlist of good star citizen youtube videos. Let me know if you think anything should be added. I tried to stick with stuff that was pretty self-explanatory and not too heavy on goon in-jokes.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

1500 posted:

Ya but no action is taking by the mods, instead its just locked, the critical posters get a talking to and it moves on.

The extreme shitizens tend to pop in freak out when they see other views and get banned within a few days, the long runners are the one's who've learned it's not reddit or RSI and the personal stuff is a no go. So there's an actual discussion a lot of the time.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

If by discussion you mean two blatant shills posting propaganda and otherwise being weaselly as gently caress while more reasonable people get bored/sick of their circular bullshit and leave, then yes, there's plenty of discussion.

Otherwise, not really.

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I made a quick playlist of good star citizen youtube videos. Let me know if you think anything should be added. I tried to stick with stuff that was pretty self-explanatory and not too heavy on goon in-jokes.

Probably not relevant, but self-promotion yo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-AJ9d6A2Yk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

RattiRatto posted:

Yeah, normally when a game "patches" it actually means a patch gets downloaded and applies the changes for the new version. With SC apparently they make you re-download the entire game every single time. So when people say they had a 28GB patch, they mean they had to re-download every single file just because CIG changed a few lines of code but can't work out how to write a patcher.

• Locked thread