Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Kazanir posted:

So on the one hand everyone has been very nice to you and you're very flattered, there is no hate towards you from the Common Goon, etc. But on the other hand you had been "made into a hate figure" such that members of BAT were suffering so much due to your presence alone that you were forced to depart the alliance? These two things are in posts on the very same page. Perhaps another, better poster can help me sort through the apparent narrative conflict.

Like all things Reddit, the ~common goon~ is nice and well adjusted and a mannered individual, but directors, past and present, with the exception of those who drew lines in the sand are the literal worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Kazanir posted:

So on the one hand everyone has been very nice to you and you're very flattered, there is no hate towards you from the Common Goon, etc. But on the other hand you had been "made into a hate figure" such that members of BAT were suffering so much due to your presence alone that you were forced to depart the alliance? These two things are in posts on the very same page. Perhaps another, better poster can help me sort through the apparent narrative conflict.

:v: I think posts like this:

Cal posted:

OH please. We were talking about nuking you from TSC for quite some time and you knew that. You wanted to run before you could get the official axe. Illum means nothing hardly and you knew it. It was TSC you got all spacehurt about knowing you lost your access to the real poo poo.

Maybe he's saying the line members held no ill will, but some in leadership tried to villainize him. Perhaps it's not a stretch for him to imagine such hostile fellow leadership would disparage him given the opportunity.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
Edit: ^^^ that's quite the juxtaposition, heh

Kazanir posted:

Line members, as I was careful to say there, were very nice. I remember one guy in dekswat saying that if an FC told him to shoot me he'd shoot the FC, which may have been exaggeration but was still nice of him.

Cal posted:

OH please. We were talking about nuking you from TSC for quite some time and you knew that. You wanted to run before you could get the official axe. Illum means nothing hardly and you knew it. It was TSC you got all spacehurt about knowing you lost your access to the real poo poo.

That was the same day and I didn't know about these discussions. I do suspect that if I'd said that bit in your post about plans to axe me I would have been called paranoid!

Endie fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 24, 2016

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

who is cal

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kimsemus posted:

Maybe he's saying the line members held no ill will, but some in leadership tried to villainize him.

Basically lot of people who dealt with Endie personally dislike him, but he's not any sort of space-threat so there's no reason or need to villainize him. But because endie needs a cross, he's woe is meing over how people actually not liking him is some byzantine 1984 hate-campaign.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Endie posted:

Line members, as I was careful to say there, were very nice. I remember one guy in dekswat saying that if an FC told him to shoot me he'd shoot the FC, which may have been exaggeration but was still nice of him.

That was the same day and I didn't know about these discussions. I do suspect that if I'd said that bit about plans to axe me I would have been called paranoid!

Paranoia is a mental illness. The insult that keeps on giving. Like the geese (goose?) with the golden egg.

TopGoon[555]
Aug 30, 2003

probably some fag

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kimsemus posted:

Maybe he's saying the line members held no ill will, but some in leadership tried to villainize him. Perhaps it's not a stretch for him to imagine such hostile fellow leadership would disparage him given the opportunity.

You talk as though you've had similar experience.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

evilweasel posted:

Basically lot of people who dealt with Endie personally dislike him, but he's not any sort of space-threat so there's no reason or need to villainize him. But because endie needs a cross, he's woe is meing over how people actually not liking him is some byzantine 1984 hate-campaign.

Just for clarification since I wasn't in goons, what did Endie do while in goons? I've heard from some he organized campaigns or something? And what would cause people like Cal (whoever that is) to allude that he was going to be removed from The Star Chamber ( I assume that's like the small council)? Did Endie do a bad job or something?

Unfunny Poster posted:

You talk as though you've had similar experience.

It's always seemed kind of petty to me to disparage someone over how they choose to try and lead in a video game. I don't think anyone who steps up and tries to provide fun for other people can do so without attracting critics. Which is a shame, since intrinsically all people who lead stuff in MMOs are just doing so because they want to try and maximize fun for everyone, they don't really get anything out of it beyond that.
Unless you're getting bribed by Daybreak to shill bad survival games, I mean.

Like my getting kicked from Goonswarm over how I chose to lead things in ArcheAge was kind of silly, but it highlights the serious mental derangement of some of the people who play EVE, I guess. Which is contrasted with the very cool and chill nature of a lot of other people who are in goonswarm, I guess.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 24, 2016

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I love Endie and I love Darius JOHNSON and i hate it when mommy and daddy fight. Whats done is done and whats gone is gone but if the "people being threatened" thing by Sion McAnimeName was an exaggeration then somebody please say so.

TopGoon[555]
Aug 30, 2003

Kimsemus posted:

Just for clarification since I wasn't in goons, what did Endie do while in goons? I've heard from some he organized campaigns or something? And what would cause people like Cal (whoever that is) to allude that he was going to be removed from The Star Chamber ( I assume that's like the small council)? Did Endie do a bad job or something?

I don't know, did he?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kimsemus posted:

Endie was in charge of the GIA at some point, and at other points had no official role was basically an advisor. Other people took over the GIA, so he no longer had a specific job, so it wasn't like he was doing a bad job - he wasn't doing any job. I think he was offered CD repeatedly and turned it down, and turned down other things to do. But while we used to have a lot of people who were just around for advice or good-old-boys club, that's been changed - you have to actually be active and do something to stay in leadership channels. If you're not, then it's no hard feelings: people get bored or burnt out all the time. There's like no directors I can think of who were fired for being incompetent (the only one who got fired for loving something up got back in because he's actually great and learned from it, and that's a really great quality to be able to take a fuckup like that and learn from it), it's almost always just that they're no longer really doing anything.

And sometimes they come back (more rarely than we'd like, unfortunately): Xttz is now back after being removed since he'd gotten bored of the game and inactive for a while :toot:

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

last 10 pages posted:

S.P.E.R.G.
Didn't need the Star Shitlerzen thread anyway :allears:

Cal
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah, it would be total paranoia to think you have to contribute to the running of the alliance to remain in the highest channels. I mean, what sorta monsters would expect that sorta thing.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

crew posted:

I love Endie and I love Darius JOHNSON and i hate it when mommy and daddy fight. Whats done is done and whats gone is gone but if the "people being threatened" thing by Sion McAnimeName was an exaggeration then somebody please say so.

I saw the blawrf logs at least, and I posted what I thought of them at the time in this thread (that there wasn't a threat, I understand how blawrf misinterpreted something, but I don't think it was a reasonable interpretation). I think Blawrf later posted something to a similar effect after a day or so.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Kimsemus posted:

I did some spying stuff, some diplomacy and stuff. A lot of what I did was kinda just talking to people: I was allowed to just go and speak to people in a way that would have got most people in trouble for demarcation, and occasionally that got us some good results.

I posted a kinda me-post on my blog when I left and I think that kinda was enough so read that if you really are weird enough to care.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

evilweasel posted:

Endie was in charge of the GIA at some point, and at other points had no official role was basically an advisor. Other people took over the GIA, so he no longer had a specific job, so it wasn't like he was doing a bad job - he wasn't doing any job. I think he was offered CD repeatedly and turned it down, and turned down other things to do. But while we used to have a lot of people who were just around for advice or good-old-boys club, that's been changed - you have to actually be active and do something to stay in leadership channels. If you're not, then it's no hard feelings: people get bored or burnt out all the time. There's like no directors I can think of who were fired for being incompetent (the only one who got fired for loving something up got back in because he's actually great and learned from it, and that's a really great quality to be able to take a fuckup like that and learn from it), it's almost always just that they're no longer really doing anything.

And sometimes they come back (more rarely than we'd like, unfortunately): Xttz is now back after being removed since he'd gotten bored of the game and inactive for a while :toot:

Based on that I don't really see a reason for any drama, except maybe if people were upset that endie left for PL.

Endie posted:

I did some spying stuff, some diplomacy and stuff. A lot of what I did was kinda just talking to people: I was allowed to just go and speak to people in a way that would have got most people in trouble for demarcation, and occasionally that got us some good results.

I posted a kinda me-post on my blog when I left and I think that kinda was enough so read that if you really are weird enough to care.

I guess based on what both parties have said I don't see much reason for ill will on either side, seemed like you wanted to go do another thing which is fine and good so you did and seems like most goons are grateful for the work you did while in goonswarm so everything should be good? :toot:

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

evilweasel posted:

Yeah when I resigned Sion said that the nature of TSC was changing due to a side-effect of the javajunky drama, and that Vee and I (who were in TSC but didn't answer to him) were kinda odd-ones-out, so maybe that is an allusion to what you mean. I just knew I was badly out of step with the way things were going so it was time to leave, ironically in the hope that it would prevent future drama. You're right that in my "exit interview" thing he offered me another role if I wanted to stay, but the reasons I had resigned would still have been there, so although it was a kinda fun job that was on offer, I declined.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kimsemus posted:

Based on that I don't really see a reason for any drama, except maybe if people were upset that endie left for PL.
It's more personal drama. I disliked endie because he did the whole byzantine internal politics in illum a lot: try to badmouth people and make disputes over space strategy or whatever personal. Like, I get into virtual shouting matches with Aryth all the time when we disagree but we respect each other and know we're working on the same goal, but just disagree how to get there. When you disagree with endie though, he starts bad-mouthing you to other people and makes the dispute personal.

I'm glad he's gone, and would rather keep the personal drama out, but he keeps posting woe is me nonsense about how he got forced out by the cruel plotting directorate planting spies to kill BAT's supers, when I and most other people in illum know the exact bot command to find where they are without spies. If he wanted to just leave and not get up on a cross about how he was forced out and is some figure of hate, he'd never get mentioned again. Corps leave, sucks half of BAT left but many of the people I knew in it stayed, so, like, whatever.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
Counterpoint: I probably spoke in illum about eight times a year.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
ahhh, so now we're on the playing down sins portion

Cal
Jul 6, 2003

Endie posted:

Counterpoint: I probably spoke in illum about eight times a year.

Which is why no one is butthurt. You were inactive. You had to lose your privilege. It isn't an adversarial thing just a hey, voices need to be doers to some degree too.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

also, clearly kimsemus is a pot stirring shitter so it's good he was banned from goons lmao

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I feel like we've gone through the five stages of grief in this thread: The five stages, denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance are a part of the framework that makes up our learning to live with the one we lost, and are now coming to acceptance :unsmith:

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

evilweasel posted:

you weren't "recast as a hate figure"

i have sources to the contrary, hold on a sec and let me :justpost: them.

evilweasel posted:

logs of you badmouthing everyone leaked because you were dumb enough to trust xander, of all people, to keep his mouth shut

you did this entirely yourself, and now you're up on a cross because you flounced out in shame when nobody would actually recast you as a hate figure and instead laughed at how dumb your insinuations were that we could disprove them in under a minute by plugging "audit" into goonfleet search and then proceeded to ignore you

wait thats the same post, let me try to find another source.

evilweasel posted:

following endie's decent into a shame spiral and getting under half of BAT to leave with him, they were allowed to leave and given plenty of time to leave, and nobody even badmouthed endie for leaving, but because endie needs a cross to climb up on so he's the poor persecuted guy driven cruelly away from goonswarm instead of the idiot who trusted that one of the loosest-lipped people in all of eve would keep his mouth shut and shuffled away in shame, makes up this story about how he had to leave because we were going to execute BAT supers because
uh
well, nobody has a reason that makes sense about why we would murder a bunch of supercaps of people who weren't involved

like, to get how dumb trusting Xander is, he has such a reputation for leaking that the rest of the CSM told everyone that CCP wouldn't talk to them because they were afraid Xander would leak, and endie knows this because he was, and still is, on the csm!

this is a lot of hurf about someone thats not a hate figure fyi

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

goonswarm 2016: taking the game seriously and madposting

Innominate
Sep 2, 2004
The Innominate

Hesiod posted:

Sorry everyone. Clearly I'm just a bitter poo poo who even up until a month ago was helping personally support mittani's business but I'm coming out of the woodwork to disparage the hard work of innocents like weaselior because I ~misunderstand~.

So what happened?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I'm at Universal Studios Orlando for the first time in my life today. It's pretty drat cool. Would recommend A+

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Dieting Hippo posted:

caring is just loving awful

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

vyst posted:

I'm at Universal Studios Orlando for the first time in my life today. It's pretty drat cool. Would recommend A+

i remember them charging out the rear end for simple poo poo like bottled water. still true?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Dieting Hippo posted:

To be fair, none of this is even remotely related to playing EVE.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Blazing Zero posted:

i remember them charging out the rear end for simple poo poo like bottled water. still true?

The Harry Potter poo poo is overpriced but the normal concessions aren't bad. It's cheaper than Disney

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

vyst posted:

The Harry Potter poo poo is overpriced but the normal concessions aren't bad. It's cheaper than Disney

Please stay on Topic this is the Eve Thread.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Dieting Hippo posted:

Please stay on Topic this is the Eve Thread.

Oh. Sorry. gently caress Endie. gently caress Sreegs.

Please return to your regularly scheduled poo poo posting

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

vyst posted:

good, gently caress disney anyways

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
Goddamit it's a bit late now but I just remembered (August was a long time ago, in my defence) that I was actually super-active at that point, and amongst the things I was doing I was writing a new pap-link system (the irony) that I'd given some demos of to mittens and someone else, which got rid of a lot of the problems with the externally-supplied one that didn't do what was needed: a Spring framework app using a web browser front-end for all the maintenance that had to be done manually with the current one, with D3 charting (gorgeous), options to support api pulls for defensive ratting and other such horrors. One thing I encountered was that the XML implementation of the API is packed with horribly-formed documents while various of the JSON implementations just plain didn't work, which at least let me sound knowledgeable in that CSM session. Another discovery was that nobody had created a Java implementation of an Eve Api front-end, which made it both annoying and more fun at the same time.

On the day I left I remember mittens, almost sheepishly, asking if I'd consider finish writing that. It was a pretty good piece of software that I was proud of but the realisation of what I was writing, and what it was for, was a part of the decision I made to leave.

Just goes to show even *I* bought the "Endie was inactive" line after hearing it often enough.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

So basically this whole thing starting from the Xander leak, to the Blawrf AMA, the DJ AMA and the exodus to PL is nerds getting mad in their cool kids club in jabber online and jockeying for positions and respect and honour.

Also 'ata boys for doing things in their space jobs.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

good to see all good deeds getting punished appropriately

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kimsemus posted:

except maybe if people were upset that endie left for PL.

That has been pretty much what's happened the whole time so far. There's some funny sperging about BAT going to PL by some of the GSF notables as a result, which is so weird they're that upset a friend of theirs decided to go play the game elsewhere and seem to be enjoying it.

Also #FreeKimsemus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

crew posted:

So basically this whole thing starting from the Xander leak, to the Blawrf AMA, the DJ AMA and the exodus to PL is nerds getting mad in their cool kids club in jabber online and jockeying for positions and respect and honour.

Also 'ata boys for doing things in their space jobs.

MMO
guild
drama

• Locked thread