Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Chalks posted:

Yeah, normally when a game "patches" it actually means a patch gets downloaded and applies the changes for the new version. With SC apparently they make you re-download the entire game every single time. So when people say they had a 28GB patch, they mean they had to re-download every single file just because CIG changed a few lines of code but can't work out how to write a patcher.

Holy gently caress.
Please tell me at least the files are compressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
They can't waste time implementing a proper patcher when they've got 53 clothing brands to get in-game. How many jpegs does a patching mechanism designed post 1984 sell? None!

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

tooterfish posted:

If by discussion you mean two blatant shills posting propaganda and otherwise being weaselly as gently caress while more reasonable people get bored/sick of their circular bullshit and leave, then yes, there's plenty of discussion.

Otherwise, not really.

The actual discussion tends to wash around those two, but with no progress there's not much to discuss lately. It's still late, poo poo and mostly imaginary.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Holy gently caress.

I don't know, but they're ludicrously large. I don't really understand why it's such a big deal for them to get an actual patcher, there must be off the shelf software that does this sort of thing since every piece of software on the planet is able to distribute patches.

They have no development time to spend investigating that but don't worry they've implemented the fuckin' fishtank.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 24, 2016

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

SelenicMartian posted:

Somebody suggest noddle machine to be server side on the CIG forums, so that people could steal or buy them and attach them to the outer hulls of ships as extra shielding and snack sources.
Chris said last month that they are server side. That they had to cut back on movable items lying or floating around because they end up transmitting location information to everyone on the server.

So they're either server side and functioning incorrectly or someone made them client-side so 2.0 would be less of a clusterfuck and didn't tell Chris.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

happyhippy posted:

Holy gently caress.

Iirc, CE3 PAK files are basically zips, but considering the very small amount of space available and the restricted amount of assets in that space, chances are that they haven't exactly dialled the compression up a lot.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

happyhippy posted:

Holy gently caress.

I thought jpegs were already compressed images. *shrugs*

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I made a quick playlist of good star citizen youtube videos. Let me know if you think anything should be added. I tried to stick with stuff that was pretty self-explanatory and not too heavy on goon in-jokes.

You missed the best one ever, and such an early prediction too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7IxCQqP4lE

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Tippis posted:

:cripes:
Yes, pushing a single or a handful of updated files based on a simple hash look-up out is creating “considerable work” compared to constantly doing the exact same thing, and then packing up those changes, encrypting the file, and pushing 9.9GB of worthless data down the pipe to every tester idiot.

I like how he explains that there will be forks of the project but forgets to mention that those forks, before they become relevant to us gamers pre-alpha testers will be merged back into the stable branch, meaning that the entire rant on how a modern version control system works completely and utterly irrelevant.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
25 pages and Goons become Hitler.

Just saying.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Chalks posted:

I don't know, but they're ludicrously large. I don't really understand why it's such a big deal for them to get an actual patcher, there must be off the shelf software that does this sort of thing since every piece of software on the planet is able to distribute patches.

Because Star Citizen is suppose to take up 100 gigabytes. That's why.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Iglocska posted:

I like how he explains that there will be forks of the project but forgets to mention that those forks, before they become relevant to us gamers pre-alpha testers will be merged back into the stable branch, meaning that the entire rant on how a modern version control system works completely and utterly irrelevant.

The important part the digression into an explanation of a VCS system served was to demonstrate that the poster really DOES understand game development unlike the rest of the scrubs complaining about the patcher.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

TTerrible posted:

No friend, people give him poo poo because he is apparently an expert in whatever needs to be discussed at the time. It helps that he is usually copy pasting things from wikipedia and doesn't understand what he is posting. It's a flavour explosion of funny.

EDIT: Note how he makes authoritative statements about CIGs database schema.

I'm sure their schema is absolutely beautiful and pristine, and not even remotely hot liquid poo poo duct-taped to the walls.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Unfunny Poster posted:

Just saying.

:confused:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Octopode posted:

I don't keep historical data around, so I can't really do discrete monthly looks at a point in time like that. I can only see the most recent date which an account was active. It's also complicated by the fact that they did a database structure change sometime in 2014 or so, so some of the older data appears to be unreliable, such as having the UNIX epoch as a date.

Not sure if I've asked you this before, can you pull data on anything related to number of forum bans?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I lost some time thanks to this morning's earthquake, but I now only have 30 more pages to go.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

TTerrible posted:

The important part the digression into an explanation of a VCS system served was to demonstrate that the poster really DOES understand game development unlike the rest of the scrubs complaining about the patcher.

It's made even more funny by the fact that his explanation ends with a very good description of why you'd want some kind of proper patcher (or just use a local resource cache/messy pile of files) rather than PAKs while the thing is in development. In trying to show that it's more practical to use the current full PAK download method, he accidentally demonstrates why it's so impractical, all while insinuating that edits on checked-out files will somehow force more client updates.

Understanding game development is truly best proven by misunderstanding every part of the process. :cripes:

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
It's also really telling that the cultizens flock to the defense of issues like the patcher with the same inane arguments, only slightly altered. Yes, you are completely right, they don't have the time right now to build the essentiell infrastructure for their product, they have to first implement all the fluff and then at the end comes the important stuff.

I'm so lucky that I don't understand game development because otherwise I would have to ask myself why every other company can do it and only CIG can't. :psyduck:

Junkozeyne fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 24, 2016

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

TTerrible posted:

Nothing like showing off your git 101 knowledge to establish yourself as the alpha nerd on a gaming forum!

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Junkozeyne posted:

It's also really telling that the cultizens flock to the defense of issues like the patcher with the same inane arguments, only slightly altered. Yes, you are completely right, they don't have the time right now to build the essentiell infrastructure for their product, they have to first implement all the fluff and then at the end comes the important stuff.

I'm so lucky that I don't understand game development because otherwise I would have to ask myself why every other company can do it and only CIG can't. :psyduck:

Noodle vending machine before a competent patching method, bro.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Unfunny Poster posted:

Just saying.

I think you'll both find it's 42 :smuggo:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

fuctifino posted:

A pistol vs The Constellation.

e: I can't seem to a find a way to just link to the webm. It automatically embeds it in the post.

e2: Ah, that did it.

Is it wrong that this makes me kind of want to play the game?

Also, my catte:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Junkozeyne posted:

I'm so lucky that I don't understand game development because otherwise I would have to ask myself why every other company can do it and only RSI can't. :psyduck:

Because Star Citizen: There's no Limit to What We Can't Achieve.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Math isn't my thing OK?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Junkozeyne posted:

Imagine a game development company run by a 13 year old child with ADHD. You can't focus on anything because your boss keeps changing his mind and thinking up new poo poo and making you work it immediately.

Now imagine that child is a fully grown man who resembles a human thumb.

You now understand CIG's "game development" process.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/423tsn/derek_smarts_cig_2016_prediction/cza7ib5?context=3

https://www.reddit.com/r/Documentaries/comments/42d850/the_jihadist_next_door_2016_following_a_group_of/cza6yby?context=3

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Unfunny Poster posted:

Math isn't my thing OK?

Look, we all have a tyop slip in every now and again.

I wonder how big the game will be when all 107 star systems have been implemented. I'd say 150gb is a good estimate.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Put this man in a wheel chair, Derek

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Chin posted:

Chris said last month that they are server side. That they had to cut back on movable items lying or floating around because they end up transmitting location information to everyone on the server.

So they're either server side and functioning incorrectly or someone made them client-side so 2.0 would be less of a clusterfuck and didn't tell Chris.

If it's client-side, my new goal in life is to write a hack that lets you hurl the noodle machine at extremely high velocities towards, say, that constellation over there.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Look, we all have a tyop slip in every now and again.

I wonder how big the game will be when all 107 star systems have been implemented. I'd say 150gb is a good estimate.

Is that guesstimate with or without scarves?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Toops posted:

If it's client-side, my new goal in life is to write a hack that lets you hurl the noodle machine at extremely high velocities towards, say, that constellation over there.

Replace the gun bullets with noodle machines, tia

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I made a quick playlist of good star citizen youtube videos. Let me know if you think anything should be added. I tried to stick with stuff that was pretty self-explanatory and not too heavy on goon in-jokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNlWQ3s5Xc8

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Star Citizen: Javelins and Jihadists

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

if star citizen comes out and there are hacks and cheats available I will use them mercilessly

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Colostomy Bag posted:

Is that guesstimate with or without scarves?

I am not taking procedural pets and planets into consideration, and based off of Chris Roberts previous track records I assume only 42 of the 53 clothing styles/manufacturers will see the light of day.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015
From Reddit @ https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/42h9im/be_patient_citizens_oc:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Google Butt posted:

if star citizen comes out and there are hacks and cheats available I will use them mercilessly

same

well, i mean, if it is sold at market price for games. not the retardo spergo price that it seems to be selling at right now.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Not enough clutter and lack of vision, 4/2

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I am completely saddened by the fact that you added the Keetah the Cheetah video in that list. I wasnt paying attention when it rolled over and now that horrible squeaky toy voice is stuck in my head again. Ive never really had a problem with furries, but that guy... "I HAZ SQUEAKY TOY VOICE CAUSE REASONS" just makes me want to throw things at him.

Can we PLEASE sick mr pleasurebot owner Rabbit Man after him? Maybe enough tennis ball crossbow bolts would seriously get him to stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Chalks posted:

Imagine a game development company run by a 13 year old child with ADHD. You can't focus on anything because your boss keeps changing his mind and thinking up new poo poo and making you work it immediately.

Now imagine that child is a fully grown man who resembles a human thumb.

You now understand CIG's "game development" process.

This graph is pretty close to 100% true.

But see with Chris "Helmet" Roberts at the helm, CIG is stuck at 20% because someone says birds and he flaps his magic hands and mouth now birds are in.

• Locked thread