Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD

TurnipFritter posted:

I can't believe that's in Psalms, I didn't even know they had ultrasounds back then.

Ultrapsalms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acropolis
Feb 21, 2014

Dr Christmas posted:

The formula still works, you just have to use a ruler or ther calculations to find the height.

Also, I don't get it :saddowns:

Yeah the formula is right, but it only works for his diagram if:
A) his triangle is a right triangle since he labeled one of the sides as H. Which it could be, but that angle doesn't look clean enough and he didn't put in the dotted square in the corner that says "I drew this like poo poo but it is a right triangle".
B) his triangle isn't a right triangle, in which case his formula doesn't work for the triangle he drew and he meant to draw a dotted line perpendicular to b up to the vertex opposite b and label that H.

Someone more mathy might point out something I'm overlooking in some regard and that Tinsley is right. I'm mostly complaining that his diagram is poo poo and he's missing a dotted line somewhere and labeled something poorly... so about par for Political Comics.

Sagebrush posted:

Near as I can tell, the "joke" is that the things he's depicting are the answers to common bits of trivia ("frequently asked questions.") That's it.

Blue whale: what is the largest mammal?
Woodrow Wilson or FDR: something about wartime presidents?
A=1/2 b*h: what is the formula for the area of a triangle?
POTUS, BLOATUS and FLATUS: no idea what the latter two are referencing. fat fat fart fart he is a bad president?
Underpants: no idea at all

"Who (which president) won WW(1 or 2)?" I think specifically for No. 2
and
"Boxers or Briefs?" for No. 5 though he called it "underpants" so who knows with drunk duck

Basically, he hosed up every answer to every FAQ he brought up in some way. The only screw up that was intentional was probably 4 and he just wanted to call the president and first lady names.

edit: apparently I passed calculus and failed english grammar

Acropolis fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 24, 2016

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Plan Z posted:

I've been out of the loop. Are there rape accusations against Bill Clinton, or are they somehow tying Cosby to Hillary?

or c) someone doesn't know the difference between rape and infidelity.

Sex is ALWAYS bad to these people.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Acropolis posted:

Yeah the formula is right, but it only works for his diagram if:
A) his triangle is a right triangle since he labeled one of the sides as H. Which it could be, but that angle doesn't look clean enough and he didn't put in the dotted square in the corner that says "I drew this like poo poo but it is a right triangle".
B) his triangle isn't a right triangle, in which case his formula doesn't work for the triangle he drew and he meant to draw a dotted line perpendicular to b up to the vertex opposite b and label that H.

Someone more mathy might point out something I'm overlooking in some regard but and that Tinsley is right. I'm mostly complaining that his diagram is poo poo and he's missing a dotted line somewhere and label something poorly... so about par for Political Comics.

"Who (which president) won WW(1 or 2)?" I think specifically for No. 2
and
"Boxers or Briefs?" for No. 5 though he called it "underpants" so who knows with drunk duck

Basically he hosed up every answer to every FAQ he brought up in some way. The only screw up that was intentional was probably 4 and he just wanted to call the president and first lady names.

I think Tinsley is mad that people keep calling him an idiot, and that's why he hates teachers so much.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

majormonotone posted:

Short answer: yes, and there have been for a while

I'd never heard them before. Time for some reading.

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

That isn't a right triangle so that side is not the height. You drunk idiot.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Lame Devil posted:

That isn't a right triangle so that side is not the height. You drunk idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO1Vhc88QkM

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Hannity had Juanita Broaddrick on his radio show, and it's just amazing to see conservatives do a complete 180 on believing women who claim to have been raped.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxrlcLktcxU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

CrowsNestMutineer posted:

I wonder if he even knows that ultrasounds are used for things other than pregnancy-related reasons.

case in point, I got an ultrasound scan of my balls once.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

also it's the squares of the sides, not the square roots. maybe that's :thejoke:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

How they doing?

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Kurtofan posted:

And you didn't abort your balls, QED.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Plan Z posted:

I've been out of the loop. Are there rape accusations against Bill Clinton, or are they somehow tying Cosby to Hillary?

or c) someone doesn't know the difference between rape and infidelity.

Juanita Broaddrick claimed that Bill Clinton raped her during his run for governor of Arkansas back in the seventies. She never went to the police so there was no formal investigation at the time, and the whole thing got buried until Clinton was running for president and Republicans were digging up dirt. They pushed her to come forward with it during the Paula Jones scandal and she ended up submitting an affidavit saying nothing happened. They succeeded in convincing her during the Monica Lewinsky Scandal but the previous affidavit pretty much tanked her credibility. The whole thing is just a 'boy who cried wolf scenario.' Clinton has a record of sexual predatory behavior which should earn Broaddrick the benefit of the doubt at least. But the whole panty-sniffing witch hunt that was the Lewinsky affair, along with a general history of not giving a drat about women, means the Republicans have no standing as arbiters of sexual misconduct.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
By far the single most common use of ultrasounds in medicine is checking people's bladders the first time they pee after surgery or the removal of an indwelling catheter to make sure they are emptying them fully.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Cool

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
And now, time for Flashback: 1992! Been a while since we've done one of these (grad school is great, but it will devour your life).

Here are some names that may not be well-remembered (all quotes are from Wikipedia, unless otherwise stated). Paul Tsongas was a senator from Massachusetts and was rather popular in his home state. He was fiscally pretty conservative (this was common for Democrats coming off the Reagan years) and focused a lot of the deficit. "When asked why he did not have a tax cut plan like the other candidates, Tsongas famously answered, 'I'm not trying to play Santa Claus.' "The Boston Herald noted that his political philosophy had "far more in common" with Republican Mitt Romney (who crossed over to vote for Tsongas in the 1992 primaries) than with traditional Massachusetts Democrats like Ted Kennedy." "He once quipped, 'If anyone thinks the words government and efficiency belong in the same sentence, we have counselling available.'" poo poo, that last one's practically a Reagan quote- this guy was a Democrat? But apparently the biggest dig this cartoonist had was "he's boring." He won New Hampshire (Hillary Clinton has recently argued that candidates from neighboring states always win New Hampshire, part of lowering expectations in advance of a possible Sanders win), partly because of stories about Clinton's womanizing and draft-dodging. He later tried to start a third party with Colin Powell at the helm, but that fell apart and he died in 1997.

Jerry Brown is pretty well known to this day. He was governor of California for in the 70's, ran for president in 1980 against Carter, then for senate in 1982, but lost. His platform in '80 included a balanced budget amendment (ugh) and a "solar-powered space satellite to provide solar energy for this planet." He studied Buddhism in Japan, which is shown in the cartoon as being a floating swami type. In '92, his main issue was campaign finance reform. He opposed NAFTA and supporting better wages. On the other hand, his tax policy was personally written for him by Arthur Laffer (yes, that Laffer). He called for a flat tax on individuals but higher corporate income taxes and elimination of loopholes. He "seemed to be the most left-wing and right-wing man in the field... [calling] for term limits, a flat tax, and the abolition of the Department of Education." (Walker, Jesse, for The American Conservative). This is surprising to me, as I'd always heard he was very left-wing. He did pretty well in the primaries, and was neck-and-neck with Clinton for a while until he told a group of New York Jews that he thought Jesse "Hymietown" Jackson would be a good vice-president. After faltering, he banked everything on a win in his home state, but an intense campaign ended with a Clinton victory, and he ultimately came in second to Clinton at the convention. Brown still has a reputation for being kind of kooky, but he's currently the governor of California yet again, making him the oldest and one of the youngest governors in CA history.

Bob Kerrey was a war hero in Vietnam and won a Medal of Honor, but one of his squadmates offered a differing version of accounts claiming that he had not done anything heroic. Yes, I said Bob Kerrey. The more things change, huh? Specifically, Kerrey described firing back at a village that shot at them and accidentally killing a bunch of women and children. His squadmate claims it was a deliberate slaughter. Kerrey was governor of Nebraska from '83 to '87, and elected senator in 1988. I can't find much about his presidential campaign, excepted it was kind of "lackluster" compared to Clinton. He finished third in New Hampshire, won South Dakota, but dropped out after a fourth place in Colorado. However, he went on to have a long career in the Senate, including serving on the 9/11 Commission, before being replaced by Ben Nelson, one of the Democrats who almost wrecked health care reform in 2010. When Nelson retired, he tried to retake his Senate seat, but lost to a Republican.

Tom Harkin was fairly liberal. He became a senator in 1985. His signature issue was the Americans with Disabilities Act, which he wrote. He had a 100% rating from NARAL, and criticizes unfairness in Medicaid. He also had some controversies about possibly exaggerating his Vietnam record. He's also been involved in getting funding for "alternative medicine." In 1992, he had a lot of labor support and "criticized George H. W. Bush for being out of touch with working class Americans." Being from Iowa, he did well in the Midwest, but was the first to drop out and endorse Clinton.

And then, there's Clinton himself. I think we know about the various adultery scandals. I'd say that covers it- we've introduced the main players in the primary, and we'll be hearing more as the year goes on. I had planned to post a couple more with this, but there's so much text here that I think we need a break. Maybe I'll post another tonight or tomorrow.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Which eye is cocked in the last panel?...

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jurgan posted:

And now, time for Flashback: 1992! Been a while since we've done one of these (grad school is great, but it will devour your life).

And then, there's Clinton himself. I think we know about the various adultery scandals. I'd say that covers it- we've introduced the main players in the primary, and we'll be hearing more as the year goes on. I had planned to post a couple more with this, but there's so much text here that I think we need a break. Maybe I'll post another tonight or tomorrow.

That was a really interesting read, thanks for doing it and I look forward to more.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I dont know posted:

By far the single most common use of ultrasounds in medicine is checking people's bladders the first time they pee after surgery or the removal of an indwelling catheter to make sure they are emptying them fully.

Huh, I learned something interesting today.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Dr Christmas posted:

You'd think a single person in those times would pose the question, "So then why do so many kids resemble their mothers?"

Keep in mind that up through the 19th century, there was widespread belief in the theory of "Maternal Impression". This was the belief that many (or all) defects in the child could be traced back to the mother seeing something. For example: Joseph Merrick claimed that his condition was due to his mother being startled by an elephant. People with deformities were barred from places and expected to hide their deformities in case a pregnant woman saw them.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Have I missed anything really good/bad in the last week?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Well, whatever my feelings on Netenyahu are, I don't think he should be outright poisoned, much less after being extradited to Russia.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Grapplejack posted:

Henry had some wretched opinions this week
Political Cartoons 2016: I Will Fart You a Free University Education

Yes please.

Mr. Bill
Jan 18, 2007
Bourgeoisie Pig

Sagebrush posted:

also it's the squares of the sides, not the square roots. maybe that's :thejoke:

The joke is that it's a word-for-word quote from original Wizard of Oz Scarecrow, and was wrong originally

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
Wouldn't the outright and immediate reaction to there actually BEING a free university education be every single higher institution and bank and business and every other economic driving force in the country be "Under no circumstances are we going to accept graduates from a public university?" Wouldn't the people manning those forces be completely petty and lovely about it because by god they had to pay out for THEIR loving education, and over my dead body are we hiring some DEADBEAT who couldn't do the decent thing and go half a million in the hole for their otherwise useless education?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Mr. Bill posted:

The joke is that it's a word-for-word quote from original Wizard of Oz Scarecrow, and was wrong originally

And the guy corrects Homer on one of several mistakes in the original movie.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

cram me sideways posted:

Wouldn't the outright and immediate reaction to there actually BEING a free university education be every single higher institution and bank and business and every other economic driving force in the country be "Under no circumstances are we going to accept graduates from a public university?" Wouldn't the people manning those forces be completely petty and lovely about it because by god they had to pay out for THEIR loving education, and over my dead body are we hiring some DEADBEAT who couldn't do the decent thing and go half a million in the hole for their otherwise useless education?

Uh... I hope I'm misreading this, but are you suggesting that because some people are lovely, petty and vindictive, we shouldn't be generous to other people?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Somfin posted:

Uh... I hope I'm misreading this, but are you suggesting that because some people are lovely, petty and vindictive, we shouldn't be generous to other people?

I don't think they're suggesting that we shouldn't do it just because people will be lovely, only that by God will people be so lovely.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

cram me sideways posted:

It's supply and demand. Yes, maybe some assholes will tilt the scales towards private universities, but there's a limited number of graduates from those. Companies that shoot themselves in the foot by refusing to use a cheaper, plentiful product in order to meet their own demands will be decimated by companies that have no such compunctions, and are awash in great graduates.

Acropolis
Feb 21, 2014

cram me sideways posted:

I think you'll find we see that behavior when people graduate with a free high school education as well. I can't think of anyone I've ever met who graduated from a public high school that was able to get a job after completing their education. Indeed my first job at a pizza place was fully staffed with people who had PAID for their secondary education.

Oh wait. No I mean the exact opposite.

As long as there are jobs that need to be filled and there are applicants who are qualified, businesses don't give a poo poo if you're education was from a podunk community college or some private college. The only time it matters where you're education came from is when an employer has a choice of candidates. Prestige will buy you a spot towards the top but it's not a guarantee. Any business who refuses to hire from public colleges will find themselves bereft of candidates or having to pay more to entice those people who went a half a million in debt for their slightly better education.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

A Proper Punishment for Putin Probably Poisoning a Previous Plant

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Well, whatever my feelings on Netenyahu are, I don't think he should be outright poisoned, much less after being extradited to Russia.

This is why everyone draws him shirtless and riding a horse.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also, one of the things the people who go,"FREE UNIVERSITY!?! The World today just nuts!" always neglect to mention is that you still need to actually study and successfully graduate. It's not just a free diploma they hand out for showing up.

Well... maybe at Brown....

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
College graduates aren't getting jobs either, though. Getting more people into college isn't going to solve anything, especially not unemployment, right?

Expanding the social safety net for the elderly and getting the boomers to actually retire might, though. At least, that's my understanding.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Probably wouldn't help either as companies are just going to eliminate positions and expect higher productivity out of the remaining staff to save money.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I guess the solution is resignation to an unfulfilling life and subsidized Netflix subscriptions.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

"Healthcare and education? How on earth could those conceivably help the economic process? Please stop being ludicrous".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bass Bottles posted:

College graduates aren't getting jobs either, though. Getting more people into college isn't going to solve anything, especially not unemployment, right?

A higher general level of education can only be a good thing. Also it would be nice if people didn't have to start off their careers already tens of thousands of dollars (or more) in debt.

• Locked thread