Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Bushmaori posted:

Holy gently caress, these are infinitely better than the dungeon maps for Oblivion/Skyrim/Fallout3/NV.

I shouldn't be surprised.
I actually found it extraordinarily cumbersome to use. Notably, really tall rooms like to just vanish if you're not looking at the entire room, so getting them in the picture may mean getting additional corridors you really didn't want to look at in the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Mak0rz posted:

Somehow? It was probably because it came first.

well, yes. it managed to be 100% horrible and it's a miracle that the elder scrolls series is popular today.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Turns out playing Brutal Doom coop is a unique experience, if only for those tender moments where you wrench an Arachnotron off its mechanical legs and play an impromptu game of soccer with your partner and your brain-shaped, screaming soccer ball. Ours popped, though.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

If you're playing an FPS on PC with a controller it's time to :frogout:

E: using the awful app so i was replying to a post on an earlier page ans didn't even notice it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Woolie Wool posted:

E: using the awful app so i was replying to a post on an earlier page ans didn't even notice it.

Original Doom has controller support built in and Doom does nothing wrong.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

fishmech posted:

Original Doom has controller support built in and Doom does nothing wrong.

Original Doom had support for home-soldered parallel-port sound “cards.”
It's not really a sensible benchmark for device support.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Shadow Hog posted:

I actually found it extraordinarily cumbersome to use. Notably, really tall rooms like to just vanish if you're not looking at the entire room, so getting them in the picture may mean getting additional corridors you really didn't want to look at in the way.

Well that sucks, still it sounds like a simple fix. Or rather it might be, I dunno if Elder Scrolls games from back when are as bizarre as the ones we have today.

I just tried out Project Brutality on plutonia level 32, my computer did not care for it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm working my way through sunlust (uh, I last touched it during the doomworld megawad club playthrough a few months back) and man if you haven't played this you've hosed up.

It's totally doable for even low skill scrubs like me from pistol start on HNTR. Great tension of difficulty / challenge and the maps just look so drat good.

I was also playing some terrible new wad that someone posted on doomworld and it really highlighted to me just how good the core doom gameplay is. Even when there's no encounter design and the levels suck, it's just so satisfying to rip through the doom beastiary.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Tippis posted:

More things should support Covox Speech Thing tbh.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Woolie Wool posted:

Who said anything about the PC version?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tippis posted:

Nonsense, that's an excellent benchmark. :colbert:

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I didn't even have a soundcard for my first PC for about half a year. I played doom with the pc speaker beeping at me.

went looking for videos and discovered that chocolate doom has pc speaker emulation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04LUREGAbkQ

cool new Metroid game fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 24, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Bushmaori posted:

Well that sucks, still it sounds like a simple fix. Or rather it might be, I dunno if Elder Scrolls games from back when are as bizarre as the ones we have today.

I just tried out Project Brutality on plutonia level 32, my computer did not care for it.

Do a Google search for the Daggerfall Workshop, and/or Daggerfall Tools for Unity. There's a guy who's porting the entire game engine into unity, and it's looking incredible.

Speaking of Daggerfall, it's the only game (and definitely the only rpg) that's ever made me truly dread entering a dungeon. I can't tell you how many characters of mine are lost in game limbo because I gave up and started over before I discovered Mark/Recall.

Daggerfall's dungeons were maddening. I recommend them (and not saving over saves of you before entering one!)

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Woolie Wool posted:

I've played your Modes of Destruction mod with a controller :devil:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Speaking of Doom's PC speaker sound effects, Doom technically supported MIDI sound effects too.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Woolie Wool posted:

I have a PC hooked up to my projector in my home theatre. Support for gamepads in any game on PC is appreciated, split screen too though that's a lot more rare.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Shadow Hog posted:

Speaking of Doom's PC speaker sound effects, Doom technically supported MIDI sound effects too.

this one doesn't sound absolutely terrible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yLHH5Bj5AM

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Action Doom 2 is still stupid amounts of fun.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I'm a fan of checkpoint saves. With quicksaves I feel like I should be saving all the time so I don't lose much progress if I die suddenly. Checkpoint saves are basically quicksaves that you don't have to manually trigger and which are set to happen at logical points. As long as they're fairly frequent.

Megadyptes posted:

I didn't even have a soundcard for my first PC for about half a year. I played doom with the pc speaker beeping at me.

went looking for videos and discovered that chocolate doom has pc speaker emulation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04LUREGAbkQ

This brings back memories.

Nition fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 24, 2016

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I usually pistol-start everything in Doom, but I like that the saving is there for people who have less free time to waste than I do. Most games have such generous checkpointing that you'll rarely lose any significant progress anyways, but it's another one of those things that gives the player less control over how they can experience the game, which can be kind of a drag for some people.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
There, of course, is always the chance that they're talking about the console version and the pc port will have quick saves halfass tacked on.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

How would you even half-rear end quick saves? Either they're in or they're not.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Geight posted:

How would you even half-rear end quick saves? Either they're in or they're not.

I seem to remember that Far Cry had half-assed quick saves, partially because they were added in a patch after people complained about the checkpointing? I can't remember what the complaints were though, I've not played it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

catlord posted:

I seem to remember that Far Cry had half-assed quick saves, partially because they were added in a patch after people complained about the checkpointing? I can't remember what the complaints were though, I've not played it.
I got stuck on that place where you get pushed out of the helicopter and only get an assault rifle with a few rounds. Couldn't make it to the next checkpoint.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

FarCry was a bad game with a pretty coat, really.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

laserghost posted:

FarCry was a bad game with a pretty coat, really.

It's been a loooong time since I've played fc1 but i remember it being really fun right up until the leaper shits.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Crytek are apparently unable to make a game that's any good after the first few levels.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

TerminusEst13 posted:

This is a memory error. Pretty straightforward. Means you don't have the 676 bytes to spare playing this.

I don't know why it can't access a meager 676 bytes, but...

I can't seem to fix this. It could be confirmation bias, but it always seems to happen when fighting a regular zombie rifle guy (just occurred to me I don't know the name of the most basic enemy in a game I've been playing for 20 or so years). PB seems fun for the minute or so I get before it locks up.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SwissCM posted:

Crytek are apparently unable to make a game that's any good after the first few levels.

I dunno Blood Dragon kinda felt like the opposite, where it started out rough(for supposedly being a kickass cyborg super-soldier your character starts out kinda pathetic by FPS standards), but became a lot smoother after a couple hours, also how the hell have we not gotten a Blood Dragon 2 yet?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

I dunno Blood Dragon kinda felt like the opposite, where it started out rough(for supposedly being a kickass cyborg super-soldier your character starts out kinda pathetic by FPS standards), but became a lot smoother after a couple hours, also how the hell have we not gotten a Blood Dragon 2 yet?

That's because Crytek had absolutely gently caress all to do with Blood Dragon or any FarCry game that isn't the very first game. It was Ubisoft studios who made FarCry 2, 3, 4, Blood Dragon and the upcoming Primal.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rather Dashing posted:

I can't seem to fix this. It could be confirmation bias, but it always seems to happen when fighting a regular zombie rifle guy (just occurred to me I don't know the name of the most basic enemy in a game I've been playing for 20 or so years). PB seems fun for the minute or so I get before it locks up.

Given how modern computers have gigabytes of RAM, if you run into an out of memory error it's most likely caused by a bug. Like there might be an effect that results in an infinite amount of actors being created, so that eventually the computer runs out of memory to allocate one more.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

In a rare case of self-awareness the guys who made Blood Dragon said they'd much rather work on a new original idea instead of just doing the same thing again.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I enjoyed Blood Dragon a lot but I have to agree that one game is good enough and further milking the idea (like FC3 to 4) wouldn't help at all.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
XboxAhoy's analysis of the genre continues, and frankly, I might as well just replace the OP with this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A4-SVUHQYI

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Holy poo poo, that video is 50 minutes long. :stare: I'm going to have to actually look for the time to watch it.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 24, 2016

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I watched it, it's 50 minutes of basic wiki info with a British baritone. Nothing really insightful.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
I can't say that I learned anything, but for some reason it was really pleasant to watch a nice presentation recapping all that stuff.

e: If he does something at least as comprehensive & slick for Quake, I will be a happy dude. That would be almost as good as finally convincing Daz to do that "Quake custom maps retrospective" video he occasionally threatens to make.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 24, 2016

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Johnny Law posted:

I can't say that I learned anything, but for some reason it was really pleasant to watch a nice presentation recapping all that stuff.

e: If he does something at least as comprehensive & slick for Quake, I will be a happy dude. That would be almost as good as finally convincing Daz to do that "Quake custom maps retrospective" video he occasionally threatens to make.

This one is really padded and overlong. Why does a video about the historical significance of Doom need a precise description of the baron of hell? If you have to talk about the monsters, you should talk about monsters with important gameplay roles (cacos, mancubi, etc.), the roles they play in combat encounters, the specific player skills they test, and how they complement other monsters rather than a basic description of "big pink goatbull man throws fireballs at you and has a lot of health" dressed up in ad copy.

E: he used zcajun bots for the multiplayer footage instead of just hopping on a random Skulltag or Odamex server and recording combat against actual people who fight back. :cripes:

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 24, 2016

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Linguica posted:

I watched it, it's 50 minutes of basic wiki info with a British baritone. Nothing really insightful.

:jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

it's nicely produced and all, but anybody who's a big enough fan of Doom to sit through a 50 minute long video about it isn't going to learn anything new from this