Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What are the best War Games matches, other than Sting's Squadron vs. The Dangerous Alliance '92?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

What are the best War Games matches, other than Sting's Squadron vs. The Dangerous Alliance '92?

The 1991 one.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
What is generally considered the worst WWE match of all time? For this question I'll say that the Patterson and Briscoe evening gown match is out since I feel like that's more of a comedy skit than an actual match.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

OldTennisCourt posted:

What is generally considered the worst WWE match of all time? For this question I'll say that the Patterson and Briscoe evening gown match is out since I feel like that's more of a comedy skit than an actual match.

Kennel from Hell is usually up there when discussing this. Oh, and Goldberg/Lesnar at Wrestlemania 20 where they literally did nothing for most of the match.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

Meltzer has two at –*****: Mr. T vs. Piper from Wrestlemania 2 (which you may not count) and Junkyard Dog vs. Moondog Spot from the Wrestling Classic in November '85 (which is only 45 seconds).

If you want something more substantial, he has two at –****: Hulk vs. Andre from Wrestlemania III (opinions will vary...) and The Bushwhackers vs. The Rougeaus from Wrestlemania V, which may be your best bet. The next-worst singles match he lists is Warrior vs. Goldust from the April '96 IYH.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Warrior/Goldust wasn't really an actual match either.

Worst match I can think of that wasn't a dumb gimmick thing, or a non-match due to one of the guys being hurt is HHH/Scott Steiner from the 2003 Rumble.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Royal Rumble 2003, Steiner vs HHH for the WHC would have to be up there. It's not the absolute worst match, but for a given value of "WWE Match" it had the most baffling build up and ridiculous ending, and the action in the ring was terrible. It also went for 18 interminable minutes.

You can point to a bunch of matches with like, Yokozuna, the Bushwackers, Mabel etc etc as being objectively worse matches from a work point of view, but none of them actually mattered. The Steiner/HHH match was for the Big Gold Belt, at the second biggest show of the year. It was a big deal for a wrestling match, and everything - everything - about it was terrible.

edit: :argh:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Blast Fantasto posted:

91 and the 87 matches. 88 and 89 are pretty good too.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
That Piper/Mr. T boxing match is as bad as advertised. It's unwatchable.

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*

Alain Post posted:

Warrior/Goldust wasn't really an actual match either.

Worst match I can think of that wasn't a dumb gimmick thing, or a non-match due to one of the guys being hurt is HHH/Scott Steiner from the 2003 Rumble.

I thought Scott had a broken foot or ankle or something.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

electric funeral posted:

Scott had had an injured foot for years beforehand and had it surgically repaired, but it still wasn't 100%. HHH had very recently come back from tearing his quad, and was shitscared about injuring it again. The match shouldn't have ever taken place, and certainly shouldn't have gone eighteen loving minutes.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
HHH was also in a period where he was obsessed with emulating Harley Race and Ric Flair and needed all matches to be 100% His Way. It didn't matter if the opponent usually wrestled a completely different style. He really didn't have more than 1 or 2 notable matches after he came back from the quad team until 2004

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Blast Fantasto posted:

1998, 2000

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Suggestions on Inoki matches? Actually, 80s NJPW in general would be appreciated, not super familiar with pre 90s stuff.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

electric funeral posted:

Oh yeah, but I meant more like Goldust/Warrior basically being a bad comedy segment because Goldust did his knee and couldn't work an actual match at all

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*
I've actually never seen HHH/Steiner in it's entirety. I have seen Golddust versus Warrior though and that Match is a real piece of crap

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

electric funeral posted:

I've actually never seen HHH/Steiner in it's entirety. I have seen Golddust versus Warrior though and that Match is a real piece of crap

My argument in favour of the first match being worse is that the second match isn't really a "match". There's a bunch of stalling, and a bunch of posing, and then a clothesline and Goldust runs away. HHH decided he was going to have a classic match for the ages with Steiner, and then there were a million suplexes, a bunch of interference, some rest holds and a sledgehammer shot to the gut.

It has always been amazing to me to compare that match with what followed it, which was an actual classic match for the ages between Kurt Angle and [redacted]. If you have a spare 45 minutes, watch them back to back to see the absolute extremes the WWE was capable of at the time.

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*
Yeah I stopped watching wrestling for like four years shortly after Brock debuted so that period will be new to me once I work my way there.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

tzirean posted:

Meltzer has two at –*****: Mr. T vs. Piper from Wrestlemania 2 (which you may not count) and Junkyard Dog vs. Moondog Spot from the Wrestling Classic in November '85 (which is only 45 seconds).
I don't know why he hated that Dog vs. Dog match so much; it was very quick, and didn't expose anyone as being old and out of shape like Bushwackers vs. Sheik/Volkoff did. The most notable things about it were that for some reason, there was no ref in the ring and JYD counted his pinfall on Spot, and it probably holds the Meltzer record for "best match followed by worst match" because it followed a great Macho/Steamboat match.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't know why he hated that Dog vs. Dog match so much; it was very quick, and didn't expose anyone as being old and out of shape like Bushwackers vs. Sheik/Volkoff did. The most notable things about it were that for some reason, there was no ref in the ring and JYD counted his pinfall on Spot, and it probably holds the Meltzer record for "best match followed by worst match" because it followed a great Macho/Steamboat match.

Doesn't Meltzer just unabashedly hate JYD, that might be a contributor

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Thinking on it some more, I can think of a few reasons. Meltzer never liked JYD's work, and JYD was one of the ones who got a smarmy nickname ("Junk Food Dog") back in the 80s. Not only that, but he was a territory guy transitioning to being a more "sports entertainment" guy in the WWF where he was acting more like a literal dog. Before the match they showed an "interview" with Spot where he didn't say anything and just tapped himself with a bone. Then JYD did the crawling headbutt spot in their match. I think Meltzer hates comedy headbutt spots on principle.

(I never quite got the Moondogs' gimmick. Was it that they were savage hillbillies, and then later they acted more like they were just some kind of redneck caveman? I don't get the Bushwackers either.)

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

will roman reigns ever get over with fans

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Ostentatious posted:

I think you'll find he can and he will.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ostentatious posted:

Boos are a reaction and any reaction is good, right?

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
how many times will they try and do the daniel bryan storyline with roman? will they try and put the yes chants on roman next?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ostentatious posted:

he's been pretty over the last month or so

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

IcePhoenix posted:

I've heard conflicting reports on this

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ostentatious posted:

I'd say "if he keeps having good matches" but that didn't work with Cena so

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

cena was extremely over before the fans turned on him and he still gets good reactions all the time depending on how he's used and where the show is

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

IcePhoenix posted:

he was over enough to get consistent boos when facing Triple H. that's pretty over for a babyface. (he's much, much less over than Cena. Cena is pretty cool)

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Even though his character's been stale for years, Cena is a far better talker and a far better wrestler than Reigns. He just doesn't have the chops to be the #1 guy, where Cena was always a workhorse. Reigns is going to have to turn heel if he's ever going to work with the crowd.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

lmao reigns gets bigger pops than pretty much anyone, smarks just despise him, this results in him getting unanimous boos at the big events, which loops back into smarks deciding that he's not actually popular at all

you look at youtube views, merch sales or anything like that and you'll get a better picture of who's popular

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

VileLL posted:

this results in him getting unanimous boos at the big events

The big events are the ones they build to and what they're selling with their TV shows.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

The big events are the ones they build to and what they're selling with their TV shows.

No, they offer eight billion things and ask you to constantly give them 10 dollars for the whole package.

WWE abandoned the idea of big shows being big (and, quite frankly, any wrestler being a draw) the day they revealed the Network.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Given how hard it must be to pull off perilous Rumble spots, was the Rock supposed to hit the ground at the end of the 2000 Rumble? It worked out in giving him a February feud, but hedging everything on two people being able to topple over just right at the end of an hour match is quite something.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Glamorama26 posted:

Suggestions on Inoki matches? Actually, 80s NJPW in general would be appreciated, not super familiar with pre 90s stuff.

I dont remember what year it is but Inoki vs Andre was great.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Have AJ and KO ever had a one on one match? Maybe in ROH near the end of KO's time there?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Have AJ and KO ever had a one on one match? Maybe in ROH near the end of KO's time there?

Lots of times. Steen even won the PWG title off of AJ.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Skinty McEdger posted:

Lots of times. Steen even won the PWG title off of AJ.

Oh dang. Were the matches as good as I imagine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Oh dang. Were the matches as good as I imagine?

Depends on which era they came from. When Steen and AJ wrestled in PWG Steen wasn't quite what he would become, he really tried to get his poo poo in, and it was very mid 2000's indy. They had a match in 2CW a few years later that is ridiculously good and that the WWE owns the rights to. They worked House of hardcore during Steen's indy farewell tour and it was a very solid match. The two click well but like the later stuff is much better than the early.