Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

Then buy different mechs lol I'm loving it. I'm 7 for 7 right now and I mostly use light mechs.

wah wah wah everyone cater to my play style love me

Alot of hate for polar really sounds like that, don't full brawl outside of organized goons! Get some mid-range weapons. Heck I can imagine lights/mediums getting abit of brawl on with the trenches on that map.

Drakes fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

TeeMerk posted:

How did the Clan Purple Bird CW drops go?

Faboo. Won every match so far as I know. Saw a pubbie atlas with two AC/2s, LRMs, and large lasers

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Drakes posted:

Alot of hate for polar really sounds like that, don't full brawl outside of organized goons! Get some mid-range weapons. Heck I can imagine lights/mediums getting abit of brawl on with the trenches on that map.

This is Paul's ultimate goal. Build bracket mechs.

I would rather use the vote multiplier and catch teams that want that map and murder them.

I am sure it will show up less in a week or two, I barely see Crimson Strait in rotation as an example of them weighting the new map.

That being said, play CW build a good drop deck and never see that poo poo again.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
A gaggle of trial Adders and a Ghost dad are surprisingly devastating on Polar Highlands.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

TeeMerk posted:

This is Paul's ultimate goal. Build bracket mechs.

I would rather use the vote multiplier and catch teams that want that map and murder them.

I am sure it will show up less in a week or two, I barely see Crimson Strait in rotation as an example of them weighting the new map.

That being said, play CW build a good drop deck and never see that poo poo again.

Its probably more like you can have some guys for brawling, but don't fit your entire team with SRMs/MLs and hope the map doesn't gently caress you.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

TeeMerk posted:

Outside of the 3 or 4 Ghost Drops, absolute steamroll every time. 10/10 would CW again.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

The Repo Man posted:

A gaggle of trial Adders and a Ghost dad are surprisingly devastating on Polar Highlands.

This more than made up for those horrible matches on bog. Wish I was recording!

When is CW running? Gotta get me some mech bays...

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
I did it. I finally basic'd my mist lynx and ice ferrets from my stupid purchasing decisions so I could sell the non-unique hulls. Get hosed, you lovely, lovely mechs.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Coolwhoami posted:

I did it. I finally basic'd my mist lynx and ice ferrets from my stupid purchasing decisions so I could sell the non-unique hulls. Get hosed, you lovely, lovely mechs.

I didn't even basic any of the Shadow Cats before selling them. What a loving terrible excuse for a mech. It's literally a wider Kit Fox with worse hardpoints and slightly more mobility.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Coolwhoami posted:

The mist lynx is the bad mech the urbanmech was intended to be.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I've brought my MPLas/ASRM6 brawl mechs into polar highlands all the time. Serious dudes, you don't need long range builds at all for that map. You just need patience.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Vorenus posted:

I didn't even basic any of the Shadow Cats before selling them. What a loving terrible excuse for a mech. It's literally a wider Kit Fox with worse hardpoints and slightly more mobility.

Why must you insult my baby?

The SCat is godlike

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Love Stole the Day posted:

Why must you insult my baby?

The SCat is godlike

SCat supremacy

SCat buddies for life

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

TeeMerk posted:

We loving wrecked the pubbies except for one fight, to the point that they actually stopped coming for fights. And when I say wrecked, I mean absolutely pulverized, with us not only taking down the objective but also killing every mech they brought while losing one mech each (i.e 48 to 12 and 47 to 13). The last pubbie scrub crew actually did okay, with us still killing all of their mechs and taking down the objective while losing 28 or 29 mechs of our own. The one fight we lost we were on defense and they killed all our light mechs for the loss of one heavy (Marauder I think). We just couldn't get enough mass and momentum to destroy their company, so we lost that one something like 38 to 34, but it was more due to time running out than them out-playing us. Had we a few more minutes we might have won.

tl;dr - it was fun, and whoever didn't join in missed out big time. We were averaging 750k - 1m credits per match, with a match about every 30 mins. And when we had absolutely no one to fight on the map we still made 300k credits and 82 loyalty points. I got rank 2 and 75% of rank 3 done in about 6 or 7 matches.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Can someone tell me how elite skill unlocking works exactly? As I understood it, you need to do the basic skills on 3 mechs of that class to get Master level unlocked, and then you need to do the master on those 3 mechs to unlock elite skills? Is that correct? I elited my Blackjacks and that seemed to be the way it worked.

Am I missing anything there? If I was to go on to Elite my Centurions (this isnt happening) it would just be the same process over again?

I've seen conflicting things being said like you only need to elite one class of that weight group to access all that weight groups elite skills, which doesnt seem to be the case.

Edit: Also why does the average idiot on your team, even when told exactly where the enemy is on voice and in chat, proceed to do his best to try and not be anywhere near that location, usually just carrying on walking around that area in a wide a circle as possible?

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 24, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Drakes posted:

Alot of hate for polar really sounds like that.

I think a lot of hate for Polar comes from dropping on it in slow assault `Mechs, getting left behind by the team (organized goons or otherwise) and dying; or being a member of a team where that happens. We've done really well on it when everyone's stayed close and organized, but when some members are zooming around at 160 kph and others are trundling along at 60 or less it's incredibly easy to get strung out and die like chumps.

Since so many pubbies are running Warhammers at the moment, they're not really getting strung out since they've mostly got the same movement profiles, which means either the slower goon elements are getting ambushed and dying before the fast elements realize there's a problem or the fast-movers are charging in in 2s and 3s and getting cut down with their nearest support half a map away. It's easy to underestimate how big Polar Highlands is when you're fast, but it's also easy to overestimate how big it is when you're slow.

I really think Goons would like Polar more if we dropped with more light/medium(/fast heavy) wolfpacks. There's plenty of room to maneuver, we just have to tailor our drops to take advantage of it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Okay, so for the Warhammer 6D, it looks like the left torso is the best bet to place your big guns (if you're fitting big guns). If you have just two big guns like LPLs or PPCs followed by a bunch of shorter ranged weapons, the way to get the best mounts for your big guns is to fit one big, one small, and one big, that way your large weapons are in the highest mounts. Like So

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 24, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Tindahbawx posted:

Can someone tell me how elite skill unlocking works exactly? As I understood it, you need to do the basic skills on 3 mechs of that class to get Master level unlocked, and then you need to do the master on those 3 mechs to unlock elite skills? Is that correct? I elited my Blackjacks and that seemed to be the way it worked.

Am I missing anything there? If I was to go on to Elite my Centurions (this isnt happening) it would just be the same process over again?

I've seen conflicting things being said like you only need to elite one class of that weight group to access all that weight groups elite skills, which doesnt seem to be the case.

Edit: Also why does the average idiot on your team, even when told exactly where the enemy is on voice and in chat, proceed to do his best to try and not be anywhere near that location, usually just carrying on walking around that area in a wide a circle as possible?

Basic - Elite - Master

You need to have 8/8 Basic skills on 3 mechs of the same chassis to be able to go for Elite skill son that chassis.
You need 4/4 Elite skills on 3 mechs of that weight class to unlock Master skills for this weight class.
Also 4/4 Elite skills double bonus from Basic skills.

Since you need 3 of the same chassis to go elite anyways, its not a great help that 3 of the same tonnage unlock master, so its still best to 4/4 Elite 3 of the same chassis, then sell 2.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Basic - Elite - Master

You need to have 8/8 Basic skills on 3 mechs of the same chassis to be able to go for Elite skill son that chassis.
You need 4/4 Elite skills on 3 mechs of that weight class to unlock Master skills for this weight class.
Also 4/4 Elite skills double bonus from Basic skills.

Since you need 3 of the same chassis to go elite anyways, its not a great help that 3 of the same tonnage unlock master, so its still best to 4/4 Elite 3 of the same chassis, then sell 2.

To clarify. Only the 1st Chassis in each weight class has to have the Elites unlocked on 3 variants to unlock the Master slot. Any subsequents chassis in that weight class only require you to get Basics on 3 in order to unlock the Elites. Then you can unlock the Elite and Master skills on an individual variant without worrying about the Elites on the other 2. No matter how you look at it though, you still have to start with 3 variants. The grind just gets easier when it's not your first mech in that class.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I haven't played since like right after beta. Is my Marmoset still good?

e: Yes. Yes it is. Triple Ultra AC/5 :pcgaming:

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 24, 2016

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Luigi Thirty posted:

I haven't played since like right after beta. Is my Marmoset still good?

In the right hands, yes. You have to be dedicated to this mech. Make it a part of you.

Be one with the Marmoset.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I basically want to be commoners

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Oh I think polar highlands is bad because it's boring with 2.5 to 5 minutes between drop and engagement. The map is aesthetically uninteresting. It's super easy to beat the enemy, just use LLas or LPL and wait for them to silhouette themselves, attack with a core of heavies and flank with lights since the team will almost always be strung out in a huge line.

If they go to J6 just brawl.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
What's in an IS drop deck these days?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Super 3 posted:

What's in an IS drop deck these days?

Firestarter, Hunchbacks or Griffins, Blackjacks, Marauders, Atlas.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Beraiye posted:

In the right hands, yes. You have to be dedicated to this mech. Make it a part of you.

Be one with the Marmoset.

I am one with the Marmoset if by that you mean it's loaded with Ultra AC/5s and there's a Space Big Gulp on my center console.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Wait a second, do champion mechs share xp with their normal chassis variants?
I just bought Dad RSC and immediatly had 18k xp, which could only have come from playing free Dad when i started.
But wasnt the champion RSC free?

However, i now have an instantly elite-ready atlas.
Though i think id rather elite/keep the ECM or 4xSRM variant...

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Vorenus posted:

They're not great but they're far from the worst Clan mechs available. I like them because they're kind of challenging to use, plus MASC is kind of underrated. I'm curious to see what happens in February when MASC is supposed to get a buff.

Maybe it's just Stockholm syndrome, but I'm having more fun with Shadow Cats than I am Timber Wolves, for example.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Wait a second, do champion mechs share xp with their normal chassis variants?
I just bought Dad RSC and immediatly had 18k xp, which could only have come from playing free Dad when i started.
But wasnt the champion RSC free?

However, i now have an instantly elite-ready atlas.
Though i think id rather elite/keep the ECM or 4xSRM variant...

Yes, the regular RS and RS(C) both count as the same variant for exp purposes, (C) mechs just earn exp faster and come with upgrades installed/better set-ups than stock.

If you're not planning to keep all Dads the DDC and S are the standouts. Don't get rid of those, they good.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Vorenus posted:

You are playing it wrong, it's an rear end in a top hat pop sniper that can really ruin peoples day. It just can't brawl at all so you have to hang back and be a dickhead. ECM is all that makes it unique tho.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Rocketpriest posted:

Yes, the regular RS and RS(C) both count as the same variant for exp purposes, (C) mechs just earn exp faster and come with upgrades installed/better set-ups than stock.

If you're not planning to keep all Dads the DDC and S are the standouts. Don't get rid of those, they good.

I have the D-DC, The " and for "3 basics" purposes the RS which doesnt really satisfy me.
I planned on keeping 1 Dad, but i see it will be 2.
Im running out of loving mechbays.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Washout posted:

You are playing it wrong, it's an rear end in a top hat pop sniper that can really ruin peoples day. It just can't brawl at all so you have to hang back and be a dickhead. ECM is all that makes it unique tho.

It actually makes a decent SRM Striker as well; between ECM and its crazy ups from JJs, it can get in to good positions to throw down. It's no Griffin, but it's a ton of fun to slam SRMs into people with your stealthy, flying piece of poo poo that accelerates instantly.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

novaSphere posted:

It actually makes a decent SRM Striker as well; between ECM and its crazy ups from JJs, it can get in to good positions to throw down. It's no Griffin, but it's a ton of fun to slam SRMs into people with your stealthy, flying piece of poo poo that accelerates instantly.

As a resident Shadow Cat expert: If you're not singing this song to yourself all match when playing this robot, you are doing it wronghttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQfiWFwVF8M

edit-- if you get bored of singing that song, here's a backup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUSH3-F3AK4

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Put in a good 5 hours worth today after not playing since I bought my founders pack way back when and I can honestly say that the game just feels so much better.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I have the D-DC, The " and for "3 basics" purposes the RS which doesnt really satisfy me.
I planned on keeping 1 Dad, but i see it will be 2.
Im running out of loving mechbays.

Time to start touring the sphere and doing clam wars. I'm trying to get to tier 10 in most factions at this point since I'm already tier 6 in most.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

novaSphere posted:

It dies so fast while brawling compared to any other medium that can carry srm's. Sure like anything you can do well if you are a good pilot, but almost anything else makes a better medium brawler. The CT is probably the largest of any medium mech.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Washout posted:

Time to start touring the sphere and doing clam wars. I'm trying to get to tier 10 in most factions at this point since I'm already tier 6 in most.

Will do that, i think first mechbay is rank 2 each?
WIth 7 day contracts, that should be doable, rank 6 for the second is a bit much i guess.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Give me your marauder fits

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Ac20 + 4 medLasers
3x Large Pulse + 2 medPulse
2xAC5 + 4 medLasers

Last time i couldnt decide between stalker and battlemaster i went and bought 3 dads.

Now im at the same crossing again, stalker or battlemaster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Ac20 + 4 medLasers
3x Large Pulse + 2 medPulse
2xAC5 + 4 medLasers

Last time i couldnt decide between stalker and battlemaster i went and bought 3 dads.

Now im at the same crossing again, stalker or battlemaster?

On the 3R you can cram 3x AC/5 + 4 ML, but you'll be light on ammo. It's a fun build though.

e: Stalker for supreme tankability and rhino build, Battlemaster for unparralled laser vomit and maximum Skrillex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqaXN5sxqpU

• Locked thread