Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Krinkle posted:

I have permenant bad traits by level 1. Is that a sign I'm playing poorly? Do only the forced-curio-interactions traits merit fixing?

No, bad traits becoming ingrained just happens. I'm pretty sure Reynauld has always locked in God Fearing after the first Ruins run for me.

Broken Cog posted:

The "Permanent" traits can get removed by the trait removing curios as easy as any other, so just stock up on some herbs and head for the cove.

Also that. Also also, you can still remove them at the Sanitarium, it just costs a bundle more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005

Krinkle posted:

I have permenant bad traits by level 1. Is that a sign I'm playing poorly? Do only the forced-curio-interactions traits merit fixing?

I wouldn't worry about them so much unless they directly interfere with that characters role.

e: This game is going to fight you every step of the way if you want to stay "clean"

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Use the cove for removing negative quirks like that when able

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Also, locked in bad traits can totally be removed, it's just like 5x as expensive. e:f,b.

Does anyone know how long the 'extended beginning tutorial' is? I know that the first mission is always the same, but by which week are things not fixed? I'm asking because I'm wondering how long I have to pass time on my save where I'm experimenting with utter suicide runs. For the record, the week 1 short explore ruins tutorial level is quite reasonable to do with zero gold invested and level zero scrubs (I got lucky and rolled a pretty nice party of hellion/jester/pdoc/vestal, though I think I could have finished with a worse party). The tutorial levels aren't absurdly easier, but they do have some things like the '2 scrub skeletons' encounter in the first room. Also, the level dropped 8-10 food before the single hunger event and always seems to give you a shovel, which means that they're poor models for suicide run viability testing.

It's interesting that the Darkest dungeon levels also seem to be pretty scripted. I've suicided a few parties into DD (my record is winning 3 encounters before a grisly demise) and every layout is identical.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 24, 2016

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

FreeKillB posted:

Also, the level dropped 8-10 food before the single hunger event and always seems to give you a shovel, which means that they're poor models for suicide run viability testing.

It's interesting that the Darkest dungeon levels also seem to be pretty scripted. I've suicided a few parties into DD (my record is winning 3 encounters before a grisly demise) and every layout is identical.

Couldn't you just choose not to use a shovel and not eat?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Man for some reason my game really, really hates Plague Doctors. Lost one on a party wipe during Champion Hag, lost a second when I otherwise whooped the Hag, and I lost that gal's replacement in the first fight of an Apprentice Cove run to a string of three fishman crits in two rounds. Got a good feeling about Plague Doc number four though!

In other news, Rank 4 Gimmick MaA turns the Prophet into an even more harmless little baby than he normally is. Guard whoever gets Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies, and when it hits him he'll take 3 damage and laugh. Also saw some success running Rank 4 Gimmick MaA with Rank 2 Gimmick Vestal using Profane/Sacred Scrolls. He keeps her out of trouble, she spams giant party heals every round, I wander to the end of a boss run with full health on everyone. Might be different on a harder run, but initial results were promising.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Well, I'm trying to see how feasible victory is with 0 gold run, so I shouldn't deliberately make choices like "hey let's not eat" and so forth. I was probably being misleading by using the term 'suicide run', I just wanted to experiment to see how viable random 0s can take on short dungeons with bupkis.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just a friendly reminder that you can purge the Hellion's self-debuffs with medical herbs.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I just found a journal entry while wandering around in the Weald. I had no idea these were a thing. Are they new?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Double posted.

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 25, 2016

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

FreeKillB posted:

I think it's amazing that they give Reynaud the absolute worst negative quirk in the game. I remember Kleptomania being not really that bad an issue in EA (maybe it didn't proc as often?), but as it stands I think they're trying to tell players that they should either sanitize or dispose of heroes with bad quirks. I wish I had known about bad quirks locking in earlier as, my level 6 grave robber has -10% HP and I don't think I'm at a point where I can defend dropping 6k on that.
Actually the tutorial screens say, I think after the first or second dungeon, that negative quirks become "severe" and more expensive to remove. As soon as I saw that I figured to myself that any quirk that fucks over the hero during a quest has to go ASAP. Quirks that restrict poo poo in the Hamlet are way less frustrating.

docbeard posted:

I just found a journal entry while wandering around in the Weald. I had no idea these were a thing. Are they new?

Yep. Keep them with you out of the dungeon and you can re-read them at the Ancestor's Memorial in the Hamlet.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

docbeard posted:

Oh hey, I found one of those as well.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

docbeard posted:

Yeah. Written by backers of a certain tier, allegedly, which gives me some pause.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

GlennFinito posted:

At what lvl is it a good time to lock in perks?

edit; just started a mission and forgot to buy shovels...first tile is a thorny thicket..the second tile is a..thorny thicket :smith:

Holy poo poo, 14 torches on a short run? C'mon man.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rascyc posted:

Don't read books, geez.

I do think it's stupid there's nothing positive to do with books.

Have either the new guy or the highest stress guy read books so they get lots of traits and you can throw them out

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
I'm about to tackle the drowned crew for the first time ever. Any advice on party comp?

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees

Afraid of Audio posted:

iirc forced curio interactions don't use items and that requires a torch to get the party started

I'm still of the thought this negative quirk should exist. Plz Red Hook give me Pyromania.

GlennFinito posted:

edit; just started a mission and forgot to buy shovels...first tile is a thorny thicket..the second tile is a..thorny thicket :smith:

This is how my Veteran Hag mission went. I got literally everything else bought and prepped perfectly and I forgot shovels. I risked it with two thorny thickets along the way, though that RNG for you is pretty lovely, but I made it to the hag and killed her AND had no dedicated healers either. Arba/BH/Houndmaster/Abom. I'm still surprised none of them went crazy.

Lyrax fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 25, 2016

RedApe98
Mar 17, 2009

Happylisk posted:

I'm about to tackle the drowned crew for the first time ever. Any advice on party comp?

Bring as many heavy hitters as you can, the boss doesn't hit hard but hes well protected and can heal. You need to be able to take out the front spot asap so Crusader/Abomb/Bounty Hunter are good. Occultist and PD as your backrow work really well too.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

how have i only just found out you can change your party's skills when you're in the middle of a dungeon

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Haha, that one took me a while to figure out as well. I once respecc'ed my vestal and somehow had only 3 skills equipped, so I clicked on a fourth skill during the dungeon just to see if it worked and it did.

The game certainly has a few UI features like this that aren't 100% clear. I remember in EA when the retreat/abandon quest flags were tiny and more-or-less hidden. A lot of players didn't even realize that you could retreat from fights or abandon quests.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Red Hook needs to patch in this message so it stays on the start up screen for like 10 seconds so maybe idiots will accidentally read it and understand:

I mean there are legit grips and annoyances with the game like it eating your items when you try random poo poo on curios, the UI could be better, etc. But most of the complaints here are hilarious

"I'm using a terrible strategy, consistently making obviously bad decisions, and don't understand how probability and risk management works. What a poo poo game!"

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

how does he blanket fire when he's clearly using a single-shot arquebus
he's clearly using grapeshot of some sort GOSH

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

well why can't he use it when he's close

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Performance anxiety.

Some people just can't handle being center stage.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Basically he's the kinda guy who talks smack online but meet him in person and he's all awkward and fidgety.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Holy_Flame: so yeah basically it's just a torch and a mirror and they just get really confused
Holy_Flame: and can't help staring at it
DeezMas: lol

xXx_0utL4w_Fus1l13r_xXx has logged into chat

Deus_Vult: oh great
xXx_0utL4w_Fus1l13r_xXx: u fagots

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

Basically he's the kinda guy who talks smack online but meet him in person and he's all awkward and fidgety.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Holy_Flame: so yeah basically it's just a torch and a mirror and they just get really confused

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
The amount of whining about this game is loving unreal, honestly. The roguelikes thread is like 95% people complaining that they're bad at Darkest Dungeon and therefore the game is grindy and sucks.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

does this mean the collector uses sockpuppets in chat?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I hate the collector - he takes so long to kill for me.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

packetmantis posted:

The amount of whining about this game is loving unreal, honestly. The roguelikes thread is like 95% people complaining that they're bad at Darkest Dungeon and therefore the game is grindy and sucks.

People like the idea of challenge until they're exposed to it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Haha is that the Vestal talking to Dismas and Reynauld about her stun attack? That's pretty funny.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

packetmantis posted:

Whether you think Darkest Dungeon is good, bad, too random, not too random, etc etc... it is definitely grindy as poo poo. It as extremely grindy game, which is entirely separate from the question of whether or not it is good.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
So I had some success with doing short 0 gp runs with level zeros (won in the ruins but got rekt in the cove). Even the unsucessful run gained over 4k gold, although that one was close to a total wipe.

Krinkle had mentioned only having medium dungeons available, so I tried the first one that showed up, and the result was one of the most amazing dungeon runs I've ever had:

Medium clear 100% rooms, found 2 food to be able to camp for healing (the occultist's mega-cure is really hilarious) and accidentally didn't use a shovel on the one barrier, despite having a free gimme from the grave robber i think. I was supremely lucky to have 3 virtue rolls, especially the leper's 'heal every now and then' virtue (vigorous iirc). Cleared over 14k gold at a cost of zero (cost nonzero if I decide to invest anything in these heroes now that they've shown their stuff).

The leper really shines in this format because at level 0 he can still 1-hit many enemies, and a 1hit KO at 60% accuracy is usually better than a 80% damage hit at 90% accuracy. I can see that there does not appear to be interesting things you can do with him in combat, since the buffs appear to be less useful than praying and just whaling away, and I can't really think of a situation where I'd want to use Revenge in particular.

I'm so sad that my main file still needs to grind deeds because the cove looks and sounds amazing (but I seriously don't need more crests). I'm a fan in general of how the music gets more menacing at lower light levels, I do not remember that feature at all from early access.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 25, 2016

Chumppell
Nov 9, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Whether you think Darkest Dungeon is good, bad, too random, not too random, etc etc... it is definitely grindy as poo poo. It as extremely grindy game, which is entirely separate from the question of whether or not it is good.

The game's point is attrition so... yeah.

Having recently hopped back into this after leaving somewhere close to the start of early access, this game seems to have improved in just about every way. Real satisfying to play it again, feels just fresh enough.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Kly posted:

"I'm using a terrible strategy, consistently making obviously bad decisions, and don't understand how probability and risk management works. What a poo poo game!"

Seriously are these people coming here from playing WoW or something? Compared to Dungeon of the Endless, which was pretty popular as well, this is a cakewalk. There you can't retreat from battles, rehire same class characters if they die, and can run into many types of no win conditions. I mean obviously it was much shorter as well to compensate but still.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Happylisk posted:

RedApe98 posted:

Bring as many heavy hitters as you can, the boss doesn't hit hard but hes well protected and can heal. You need to be able to take out the front spot asap so Crusader/Abomb/Bounty Hunter are good. Occultist and PD as your backrow work really well too.

Also: Highwayman. Drowned Crew may be the one boss where Point Blank Shot truly gets to shine.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Are there any negatives to keeping diseases? Been trying to get rabies on all my heavy hitters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
e:^^^^^^^ I wouldn't know of any long-term problems of keeping diseases per se, but I will note that doing higher-level dungeons tends to change one's perspective on the value of accuracy vs damage. I absolutely kept rabies on my apprentice runs but got rid of that poo poo quick when it became champion time.

holy poo poo this is amazing. git_gud.jpg indeed.

if you got bandit problems I feel bad for you son
i got 99 problems but blanket fire ain't one

Seriously, there are so many ways to deal with those fuckers, as long as you prioritize them and don't have a team of 4 lepers or w/e. Pulls, stuns, corpse-clearing powers, back-row attacks like arbalests or iron swan, the list goes on and on. I was super worried about bandits back in early access but when I returned to the game after release they don't seem that bad. I'm not sure if the devs toned down blanket fire crits but I'm way more frightened of torch-extinguishing cultist ladies and spoopy skeletons with cups.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 25, 2016