Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Patrick to Cedric trivia question encapsulates this standard perfectly:
Out of 25 lands in Willie Porges' deck, how many produce mana?
Answer: 9

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
SCG is so bad at picking matches. We could have watched eldrazi, or red/black dragons... but no we had to watch yet another jeskai vs abzan match that is going to go on longer than all 3 of the other matches combined. We could have switched to this match SCG!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Meatbag Esq. posted:

SCG is so bad at picking matches. We could have watched eldrazi, or red/black dragons... but no we had to watch yet another jeskai vs abzan match that is going to go on longer than all 3 of the other matches combined. We could have switched to this match SCG!

It's like when Amulet Bloom first made a showing and it was playing against Goryos and they decided to show the ur twin mirror.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Legacy Weapon should be in this format so the Eldrazi could actually have been destroyed for good by rainbow lasers

This would actually have gotten me semi onboard with it if they brought back Karn to destroy them somehow. Still would have needed some buildup but it would have seemed less hamfisted than having the newwalker justice league do it, because Karn actually has some sort of pedigree.

Plus, I just want to see Karn do more stuff. I know that leaving plot threads unattended for half a decade is sort of their thing now, but seriously.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I'm perfectly okay with that. All they have to do is scrub green and not have all the good stuff and their manabase would be okay.

Losing Collected Company is a pretty crippling blow to the deck. It honestly might be better as Abzan giving up Jace than Sultai giving up Company.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

JerryLee posted:

This would actually have gotten me semi onboard with it if they brought back Karn to destroy them somehow. Still would have needed some buildup but it would have seemed less hamfisted than having the newwalker justice league do it, because Karn actually has some sort of pedigree.

Plus, I just want to see Karn do more stuff. I know that leaving plot threads unattended for half a decade is sort of their thing now, but seriously.

I don't know if modern could handle another colorless Walker even better than current Karn.

Voyager I posted:

Losing Collected Company is a pretty crippling blow to the deck. It honestly might be better as Abzan giving up Jace than Sultai giving up Company.

That's also fine. Losing Jace, sidisis thingy and new mirror Mage guy is a good thing.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I don't know if modern could handle another colorless Walker even better than current Karn.

Why would they need to make a new one, let alone an even better one? Since rare/mythic reprints in expansion sets (with the same art, even!) are now kosher in this post-core-set world, why not just reprint Karn Liberated whenever Karn shows back up? Ordinarily the answer to that question would be "because they want to move packs with something new and exciting," but given how high the demand for KL already is, you'd think their marketing department would prefer reprinting a sure thing to trying to roll the dice on making a new Karn.

Of course, you could say the same thing about LotV, and we all see how eager they are to do that.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

JerryLee posted:

Why would they need to make a new one, let alone an even better one? Since rare/mythic reprints in expansion sets (with the same art, even!) are now kosher in this post-core-set world, why not just reprint Karn Liberated whenever Karn shows back up? Ordinarily the answer to that question would be "because they want to move packs with something new and exciting," but given how high the demand for KL already is, you'd think their marketing department would prefer reprinting a sure thing to trying to roll the dice on making a new Karn.

Of course, you could say the same thing about LotV, and we all see how eager they are to do that.

They reprinted it like 7 months ago.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Errant Gin Monks posted:

They reprinted it like 7 months ago.

I legitimately forgot he had been in MM2 which says about all you need to know about how much good it did, but that doesn't disprove my point that it wouldn't be a bad move (from either a consumer or a manufacturer perspective) to just reprint it again whenever Karn shows back up in the storyline.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

TheKingofSprings posted:

Isn't Qdoba's a thing in the states?

Why would you go to Taco Bell

its cheap AF and open at all hours

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i've never heard of Qdoba's but chipotle sounds the same

i like chipotle but yeah they're not open at 2 in the morning, luckily i do drugs at home so i never have to worry about needing food at that time

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

JerryLee posted:

I legitimately forgot he had been in MM2 which says about all you need to know about how much good it did, but that doesn't disprove my point that it wouldn't be a bad move (from either a consumer or a manufacturer perspective) to just reprint it again whenever Karn shows back up in the storyline.

I'm fine with it. I think they should reprint poo poo all the time to keep the prices down as much as they can.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

haha there's a sweet new mono green eldrazi deck but let's show two players we've already seen playing decks we've also already seen multiple times

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Jace. The Jeskai build had spears, stormchasers and mantis riders, a few abbots for 15 total creatures and then draw and burn to round it out. A few counter spells tossed in and two manlands. Running a 22 land mana base.

It worked best when curving into mantis rider and then prowessing like crazy with draw turn 4 then face melting.

Oddly satisfying.

Did you play Mystic Monastery? If you're going all in then maybe just playing 8 painlands is better with so much incidental lifegain (Jeskai Charm, Seeker of the Way possibly, Soulfire Grandmaster Sexay in the SB.)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Gerry Thompson is playing one of the goth kids from South Park.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

JerryLee posted:

The SoI small set should just be MM3 at the usual standard pack price.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

mcmagic posted:

Gerry Thompson is playing one of the goth kids from South Park.

That's pretty much always how Korey dresses. I'm definitely cheering for him though; not just because he's an old pal, but because Gerry Thompson needs to be punched right in his stupid loving face from time to time.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

LOL at Atarka's Command's little-known "opponents can't gain life" option beating Kalitas.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Has anyone had gold status or w/e it is called with pucatrade? I am thinking of doing the deal they have going on this weekend since the amount of points you get with it comes within like 10% of paying off what you have to pay in. Has having that gold status made it easier for people to get cards they want? I know I prefer to send to them over non-subscribers

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It's like when Amulet Bloom first made a showing and it was playing against Goryos and they decided to show the ur twin mirror.

It's been like this all weekend. I forget what round one match they showed this time but I remember it being two old decks with /maybe/ 10 new cards between them.

It's the first day of new standard season! Show fun stuff for the early rounds. They've done it before. Even though the deck did poorly, the pyromancers goggles deck they showed round 1 of first week or origins was great. This format should have been stock full of eldrazi decks and I think we saw a whopping 3 matches with them.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

AgentSythe posted:

Has anyone had gold status or w/e it is called with pucatrade? I am thinking of doing the deal they have going on this weekend since the amount of points you get with it comes within like 10% of paying off what you have to pay in. Has having that gold status made it easier for people to get cards they want? I know I prefer to send to them over non-subscribers

Same question here. I want pauper cards and don't want to buy them.

InterrupterJones posted:

That's pretty much always how Korey dresses. I'm definitely cheering for him though; not just because he's an old pal, but because Gerry Thompson needs to be punched right in his stupid loving face from time to time.

Tell your friend he just missed lethal for some reason.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 25, 2016

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Don't spend money on puca.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
That was a thorough rear end kicking

Well this finals is going to be fast.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
On non-basic punishment, why can't we have things like Anathemancer in Standard? It doesn't fall into the feel bad camp of not letting you play cards like Blood Moon.

Or how about a Broken Moon, "when this enchantment comes into play target opponent chooses a basic land type. All non-basic lands become that land."

Or a 1C "Spreading Wastes." Spreading Seas was so much fun!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
yay we finally get to see the Mono-G Eldrazi deck...against Atarka Red, which will almost assuredly be way to uneven a match to be entertaining

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

PJOmega posted:

On non-basic punishment, why can't we have things like Anathemancer in Standard? It doesn't fall into the feel bad camp of not letting you play cards like Blood Moon.

Or how about a Broken Moon, "when this enchantment comes into play target opponent chooses a basic land type. All non-basic lands become that land."

Spreading wastes would be awesome.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

mandatory lesbian posted:

i'm not sure i understand your complaint?

Doesn't sound too good for the old Magic Online.
I guess.
Or something.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

PJOmega posted:

Could also have something like Ankh of Mishra, for nonbasics only.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kuiperdolin posted:

Doesn't sound too good for the old Magic Online.
I guess.
Or something.

oooh okay yeah i guess, it might just be Maro doesn't consider that a video-game since it's more a simulator if anything

tho i guess Duels is the same way so who knows

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

So yeah, like I said, good weekend for Atarka Red. :v:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Man, these mug shots over this music is not doing me much in the way of hype.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
and this is why you play Ruin in their Wake, not stupid manadorks that can be shocked

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Spreading wastes would be awesome.

the thing is being a Wastes doesn't have any rules meaning so the templating would be horrible

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Barry Shitpeas posted:

the thing is being a Wastes doesn't have any rules meaning so the templating would be horrible

Seems pretty simple:

quote:

Spreading Wastes 1C
Enchantment - Aura [C]
Enchant land.
When ~ enters the battlefield, draw a card.
Enchanted loses all abilities and becomes a basic land with "T: Add C to your mana pool."

It's like 10 more words.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Barry Shitpeas posted:

....not really?

When Spreading Corruption enters the battlefield, draw a card.

Enchanted land is a basic land named Wastes with T: Add {C} to your mana pool.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Bane of Bala Ged has entered the building.

What. A. World.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mikujin posted:

Seems pretty simple:

It's like 10 more words.

you can't turn a land into a basic

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Enchanted land loses all land types and abilities and gains "T: Add {C} to your mana pool."

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

lmao nissa's renewal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Elyv posted:

you can't turn a land into a basic

You certainly can, but there's no card that currently does it because there's no point. Super-types are unaffected by normal type changes (e.g. Spreading Seas doesn't make a Basic Island), but cards can change super-types (ie. Leyline of Sanctity). We just don't see the effect often.

• Locked thread