Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

When I was at Disneyland, Winnie the Pooh grabbed my wrists after noticing my attention scars and he told me to poo poo or get off the pot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Davoren posted:

So I know this aint the thread for it, but I see posts like this occasionally, and I have to ask, why are people so dismissive of improv? I've seen some lovely improv, sure, but I've also seen good stuff, like any form of entertainment. I never see people acting so universally negative about stand ups, or actors, or whatever, so its a little mystifying.

anyone can say they do improv, and people say it (like saying "I'm in theater.") as an excuse for their wacky, zany, hilarious behavior. because, see, their socially unacceptable behavior is intentional, which means they are cool and good and funny.

obvs not every improv person does this

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
#notallimprov

My biggest problems with improv people, and I live in Chicago, so there are a LOT of them, is that they want to play every public interaction as a "scene" and then get mopey when you just want to drink your coffee and have a normal conversation.

It's just really tiring to be around someone who needs constant attention. See also: theater students.

VVV BINGO

Marius Pontmercy has a new favorite as of 23:55 on Jan 24, 2016

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

Eponine posted:

#notallimprov

My biggest problems with improv people, and I live in Chicago, so there are a LOT of them, is that they want to play every public interaction as a "scene" and then get mopey when you just want to drink your coffee and have a normal conversation.

It's just really tiring to be around someone who needs constant attention. See also: theater students.

Are these the kind of dopes who would say their name is Spartacus when they order at Starbucks? I don't know any improv people.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Too easy to find this poo poo on Tumblr...

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Was there really an epidemic of teenagers cutting themselves last decade or was it just something that got overblown by terrible Lifetime movies and TV news specials

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think a bunch of emo teens were doing it circa 2004 and tumblrs still do it because they are super lame and uncool. If you think about it scratching your wrists with a safety pin or razor for attention has to be just about the dumbest trend mankind has ever come up with.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Angels are below humans in Abrahamaic theology. Lucifer threw a pissyfit about it.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Didn't 4chan do a hoax couple of years ago with "cutting for Bieber" or whatever and got a bunch of his followers to cut themselves?

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

NESguerilla posted:

When I was at Disneyland, Winnie the Pooh grabbed my wrists after noticing my attention scars and he told me to poo poo or get off the pot.

quote:

The bear demonstrated that he couldn't have slapped the girl in the face as she claimed. The costume's arms were too low to the ground. The jury took just 21 minutes to acquit Pooh on all charges.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Eeyore is the original emo kid.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

NESguerilla posted:

Of honey?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

goose fleet posted:

Was there really an epidemic of teenagers cutting themselves last decade or was it just something that got overblown by terrible Lifetime movies and TV news specials

I don't know about epidemic, but I can personally arrest to knowing someone in their 20s within the past few years that was a cutter, so it's not jenkem-level fake by any means

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Is depression even real or is it just people who have gotten sad and watch too much TV? Hard to say imo

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Yes, it is a real and physical condition, not just mental

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Some STDH courtesy of The New York Times

quote:

“I tutored a kid. This little black kid. He looked up to me a lot. One day he asked me, ‘Mr. Ebbie, is jail a good place to be?’ I said, ‘Why would you ever ask that?’ He said: ‘My daddy’s in jail and he said he gets 3 meals a day. And sometimes my mom can’t make me food and I’m hungry.’ I went home and I cried that night. This is a kindergartner. Teachers told him he was going to jail. I looked at him as a 5-year-old. I didn’t see a criminal. I didn’t see a drug dealer. I didn’t see a rapist. I didn’t see a gangbanger. I saw myself, when I was a little kid 10 years ago.” — Ebbie Banks of Palo Alto, Calif.

Verisimilidude has a new favorite as of 02:04 on Jan 25, 2016

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

EmmyOk posted:

Is depression even real or is it just people who have gotten sad and watch too much TV? Hard to say imo

Uhm, pretty sure it's because Tumblr told them to.

Seriously, though, I'm pretty sure it's a reasonably common issue and the amount of attention given to it made it seem more prevalent. Couple that with the fact that most people have limited understanding about it and it comes off like "wow, wacky kids these days and their cutting and their rock and roll"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

cash crab posted:

Uhm, pretty sure it's because Tumblr told them to.

Seriously, though, I'm pretty sure it's a reasonably common issue and the amount of attention given to it made it seem more prevalent. Couple that with the fact that most people have limited understanding about it and it comes off like "wow, wacky kids these days and their cutting and their rock and roll"

I see you are still a Good Poster™ after all.

content

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

depression, much like the female orgasm, was a lie invented in the 70s by the government to better control the populace

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

I really and desperately want this to have actually happened.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Aleph Null posted:

What about Lil Kim?

Both named by Amy Lee over 20 years ago

cash crab posted:

Only if he literally said "THX LOL" out loud

Postal Parcel has a new favorite as of 04:50 on Jan 25, 2016

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

cash crab posted:

this one strikes a good balance with me, i like it.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Listen mate. People don't call him the pooh for no reason.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
There's a place in California that rents outdoor toilets for festivals and whatnot called "Harvey's Honey Huts", so yeah...

http://www.honeyhuts.com/

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
CMOA---

quote:

This troper was usually verbally harassed by these two females..(whores) in school...this troper couldn't bring himself to hit them to shut them up.. since retaliation always made him look bad, since he's 6 foot 4 and they are below 5 foot 6...so what did him and his Nakama do when they ran into them at the movies?? Insult them and make them look immature...It was especially funny since the boys they were with wereour good friends and laughed with us as we tore them a new one...after that the following week at a special school event, we ended up in a brawl with one fo the girl's older brothers and their friends...who do you think won??

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

I thought CMOAs were meant to make the troper look cool, not pathetic

Also "females..(whores)" is very TVTropes.txt

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

Sentient Data posted:

I don't know about epidemic, but I can personally arrest to knowing someone in their 20s within the past few years that was a cutter, so it's not jenkem-level fake by any means

My stepmum (who's in her 50s) suffers from chronic pain, and she slashed up her own wrist once because she was struggling so bad. She told me the cat just got a little rough when she was playing. :smith: Thankfully she hasn't done it since then. It's definitely not a thing restricted to emo teens looking for attention.

On a lighter note:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Verisimilidude posted:

Some STDH courtesy of The New York Times

The teacher is 15?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Rondette posted:

The teacher is 15?

Tutor, not teacher... Though every tutor I've known has been university-aged. I guess they're just hiring a friend's kid to tutor their 5-year-old (because there's nothing a 5-year-old needs more than a tutor).

wipe up or ship out
Nov 5, 2008

My uncle was admitted to mental institutions repeatedly throughout his life.

Sometimes he had conversations with people who weren't there

Mostly, though, he just wrote.

Source: http://imgur.com/gallery/LXlRE

wipe up or ship out has a new favorite as of 14:26 on Jan 25, 2016

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
404s for me :smith:

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
That link didn't happen.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Lol schizophrenics are so wacky :xd:

E: as a person with multiple schizophrenic relatives, gently caress this person

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

RandomAction Man posted:

My uncle was admitted to mental institutions repeatedly throughout his life.

Sometimes he had conversations with people who weren't there

Source: http://imgur.com/gallery/LXlRE

found a picture of the uncle:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Davoren posted:

So I know this aint the thread for it, but I see posts like this occasionally, and I have to ask, why are people so dismissive of improv? I've seen some lovely improv, sure, but I've also seen good stuff, like any form of entertainment. I never see people acting so universally negative about stand ups, or actors, or whatever, so its a little mystifying.

sweeperbravo posted:

an excuse for their wacky, zany, hilarious behavior. because, see, their socially unacceptable behavior is intentional, which means they are cool and good and funny.
Ding!

Eponine posted:

Ding!

Je suis fatigue posted:

dopes who would say their name is Spartacus when they order at Starbucks
Ding!

It's not improv itself that people have an issue with, it's the subset of idiots that flock to it and are unable to shut up about it. They're kind of like people who are obnoxious about videogames or film or children's TV shows or whatever, only improv dorks tend to be louder, more self-centered, and definitely more embarrassing to be seen with in public.

quote:

A Very Purr-sonable Cat
Animal Shelter | Dearborn, OH, USA | Crazy Requests, Pets & Animals

(I work at a shelter that has a big Maine Coon cat that has the run of the place. He never goes outside and likes to sit on the lap of whoever is at the computer working. Even though he’s huge, about 28 pounds, most of it is muscle. He’s a very docile cat and loves people. For the most part, our customers love him.)

Coworker: “[My Name], we got some people pulling in. Can you grab Corky?”

(I grab the Maine Coon and set him on the counter in a crouched position, holding his flank lightly to keep him still. He’s already trilling excitedly at the thought of guests.)

Coworker: “Hi, welcome to [Shelter]. Can we help you?”

(A woman, man, and two kids wander in.)

Woman: “Yes, we’d like to take a look at your kittens.”

Coworker: “Sure. [My Name], can you take them to the cat room?”

Me: “Sure. Here, take Corky.”

(I go to hand her Corky and the woman suddenly screams.)

Woman: “That’s a Lynx! You have a LYNX here!”

(She grabs her kids and yanks them back.)

Me: “Oh, no, ma’am, this is Corky, our resident Maine Coon. He’s not a Lynx; he’s just a very large breed of cat.”

Man: “What the h*** kind of place is this?! Those animals are dangerous! Why do you have one running around where children are?!”

Me: “Uh, sir? Maine Coons are extremely friendly. The biggest danger to your kids is he’d just knock them over by accident.”

Woman: “How DARE you threaten my babies! I’m reporting this awful place and have you arrested for harboring that vicious thing!”

(They storm out, leaving us to stare after them in bafflement. We got a visit later from a local police officer.)

Officer: “Hey, I got a call about a ‘vicious rabid animal’ on the loose in this building.”

(I pick Corky up off the counter. Corky is a happy combination of purring and trilling at the sight of him.)

Officer: “Uh huh, that’s what I thought.”

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I like how the uncle quoted Alice in Wonderland. Spooky.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

RandomAction Man posted:

In addition to being super cringey, this also pisses me off because this person clearly has zero understanding of schizophrenia/mental illness in general, and some of the comments involve a couple of people on that, "What if crazy people are actually the sanest of us all? hosed up if true" bent. Uggh.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

cash crab posted:

In addition to being super cringey, this also pisses me off because this person clearly has zero understanding of schizophrenia/mental illness in general, and some of the comments involve a couple of people on that, "What if crazy people are actually the sanest of us all? hosed up if true" bent. Uggh.

This kind of thing gets under my skin too much for me to even go look at the imgur gallery/comments. The images posted here are :rolleyes: enough.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
My partner has paranoid schizophrenia and having to deal with that poo poo is just not fun in the slightest goddamn now I'm angry at shitheads on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

sweeperbravo posted:

This kind of thing gets under my skin too much for me to even go look at the imgur gallery/comments. The images posted here are :rolleyes: enough.

Yeah, I went and it mad me angry at all the "deep thoughts". Yeah, there were some comments that said it reeked of "movie insanity", but they were few and far between. I actually wanted to rage-downvote, but IMGUR wanted me to create an account, so it's probably for the best I moved on.

• Locked thread