Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

Jerusalem posted:

A higher general level of education can only be a good thing.

Unless, of course, your entire political strategy depends on people being gullible and ill-informed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

CrowsNestMutineer posted:

Unless, of course, your entire political strategy depends on people being gullible and ill-informed.

It's vicious cycle: uninformed voters vote against education out of fear of cultural alienation and resentment while politicians deliberately pitch education as the enemy specifically because preying on these irrational opinions makes for very easily lead voters, then education suffers thanks to their mismanagment leading to more uninformed voters railing against education.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

cram me sideways posted:

Wouldn't the outright and immediate reaction to there actually BEING a free university education be every single higher institution and bank and business and every other economic driving force in the country be "Under no circumstances are we going to accept graduates from a public university?" Wouldn't the people manning those forces be completely petty and lovely about it because by god they had to pay out for THEIR loving education, and over my dead body are we hiring some DEADBEAT who couldn't do the decent thing and go half a million in the hole for their otherwise useless education?

That's asking a lot of graduates to start assuming their particular institution is not the exception to the obvious dumbing down all other institutions are going through because of those freeloaders. Banks, businesses, and everyone else favors private prestige schools like the Ivies already. It's too much to assume that the hundreds of thousands of graduates from the big public universities are going to develop a new prejudice against their own schools in favor of small, private colleges they probably haven't even heard of.

Johntalouette
Oct 30, 2013
Also if your education is paid for you could more feasibly enter a lower-income profession. One of the things keeping me out of teaching is the fact that I'd rack up more debt in college than I could ever pay off with a teacher's salary. Same for say social work, the arts, certain sciences, and basically everything that isn't engineering or a technical degree.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

There is also the shocking idea that people will be able to go to college to learn something that they are interested in with no drive to pursue a career in it. It can allow people to broaden their horizons.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

FishBulb posted:

Probably wouldn't help either as companies are just going to eliminate positions and expect higher productivity out of the remaining staff to save money.

That's definitely how things went when I was in the military. Half our office got eliminated and we still had to keep up the same level of work. After multiple years later, they never hired more people.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Cabinet posted:

There is also the shocking idea that people will be able to go to college to learn something that they are interested in with no drive to pursue a career in it. It can allow people to broaden their horizons.

You mean be exposed to dangerous foreign ideas that the Texas Board of Education hasn't signed off on?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on George Osborne and the Google tax deal – The UK risks undermining a clampdown on tax avoidance if it signs more deals like the agreement with Google to recover £130m in back taxes, a tax expert has warned"

Telegraph:

US blizzard 2016: Clear-up after mammoth snowfall

Independent:

Times:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The Cartoon Forecast calls for a storm of "If Global Warming, Why Snow" cartoons this week. But in the meantime, think warm thoughts about gunfire

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jeb!'s bus should be a Reliant Regal :colbert:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How dare he talk of GunViolence when he in fact is GunViolence.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Rorus Raz posted:

The Cartoon Forecast calls for a storm of "If Global Warming, Why Snow" cartoons this week. But in the meantime, think warm thoughts about gunfire

Even celebrities who make cash because of glamorous fake gun violence are aware we have a problem with them.

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

Rorus Raz posted:

The NY Times is always giving oodles of stars to gun violence movies.

Phew! Payne squeezed a poorly drawn car into this 'toon.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Jeb!'s bus should be a Reliant Regal :colbert:

More like a Reliant Robin.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rorus Raz posted:

Are there action movie stars who speak against gun violence?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Also, I hear Anthony Hopkins is actually opposed to cannibalism. loving hypocrite.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Also, I hear Anthony Hopkins is actually opposed to cannibalism. loving hypocrite.
Cannibalism isn't the cancer of America so I don't think he particularly needs to.

edit: I was just wondering if that cartoon was A Thing Happened or not.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 25, 2016

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Samurai Sanders posted:

Are there action movie stars who speak against gun violence?

Sylvester Stallone.

Stallone posted:

It has to be stopped, and someone really has to go on the line, a certain dauntless political figure, and say, ‘It’s ending, it’s over, all bets are off, it’s not 200 years ago, we don’t need [the Second Amendment] anymore, and the rest of the world doesn’t have it. Why should we?

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 25, 2016

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Rorus Raz posted:

"How dare this actor who gets paid to pretend to shoot people have a problem with people being shot in real life?"

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Huh, I didn't know that, but I guess that's not recent. I was wondering if the cartoon was in response to something recent. I mean, all the news from Hollywood right now is how bad they are at race inclusion, I hadn't heard anything from them about guns.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Fulchrum posted:

Things we can't handle, year 2016

- Can openers
- Unlabeled cartoons.

I am just catching up, but I think this is less "oh god I don't get it without labels" and more "PBFing". The message about gruel is clear, but we're trying to read more into the symbolism of who is what can opener, and there's nothing there to read into.

I stand by my original post saying it's a bad cartoon, because it's really not the same old gruel depending on who wins. Trump especially. Cruz is not mainline GOP. The various cartoons showing an elephant getting put into awkward or uncomfortable positions by either of them reinforce this. I disagree with Bennett's point of view here.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Shugojin posted:

It's a fairly common non-invasive way to look inside someone, yeah.

non-invasive unless its the kind these types just looooove to try and make mandatory to punish sex having women - to scare women out of abortions to help expecting mothers see the joy of a child they would miss out on if aborted.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Somfin posted:

You mean be exposed to dangerous foreign ideas that the Texas Board of Education hasn't signed off on?

No, I think he means wasting precious tax dollars on any courses other than whatever field currently has the highest lifetime expected earning ratio! If you use your student loan on a literature degree, you're a traitor.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Going to a university for the sole purpose of personal education and not as part of a life long career is some crazy utopian bullshit, also then the poors would go to university just like they are now going to the doctors and we cannot have that.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Rorus Raz posted:

Question, does anyone who isn't Wayne LaPierre actually still believe the "violent media causes mass shootings" idea

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

loquacius posted:

Question, does anyone who isn't Wayne LaPierre actually still believe the "violent media causes mass shootings" idea

Tipper Gore

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

loquacius posted:

I think Hollywood action movies are part of American gun culture. A comparatively small part, but still part. Obviously not the essential piece of course, since other film industries have shooty movies too.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Tom Guycot posted:

non-invasive unless its the kind these types just looooove to try and make mandatory to punish sex having women - to scare women out of abortions to help expecting mothers see the joy of a child they would miss out on if aborted.

the Texas legislature screws up a lot of things

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Bass Bottles posted:

College graduates aren't getting jobs either, though. Getting more people into college isn't going to solve anything, especially not unemployment, right?

Expanding the social safety net for the elderly and getting the boomers to actually retire might, though. At least, that's my understanding.
It won't help because as a final act of spite towards the younger generations, they offshored the jobs to third world countries where they could pay people in peanuts.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Thank you, Lord, for cleft palette and congenital HIV infections. You truly are merciful and just.

Rorus Raz posted:

Tens of thousands of people dead due to James Bond violently shooting bullets and infected semen into people. It really happened, Daniel Craig isn't allowed to do charity work!

Another one? This guy loooves Polonium. And he's a former spy are people really surprised by this? At least he's smart enough to not use exploding cigars.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think Hollywood action movies are part of American gun culture. A comparatively small part, but still part. Obviously not the essential piece of course, since other film industries have shooty movies too.
The problem is that Payne can't really make this argument since he's ultimately defending gun culture.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

itskage posted:

I stand by my original post saying it's a bad cartoon, because ... I disagree with Bennett's point of view here.

Made this post more concise

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Samurai Sanders posted:

As if Hollywood films are only watched in USA.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Jerusalem posted:

Also, one of the things the people who go,"FREE UNIVERSITY!?! The World today just nuts!" always neglect to mention is that you still need to actually study and successfully graduate. It's not just a free diploma they hand out for showing up.

Well... maybe at Brown....

I've had just about enough of your Vassar-bashing, Jerusalem!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

CrowsNestMutineer posted:

You can still manage that with the humanities, mind you.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Meanwhile a law-abiding, legal gunowner accidentally shot a woman in a movie theater with a gun he brought because he was scared of mass shooters.

Thanks, good guy with a gun!

Bonus: it was at the Benghazi movie

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

More like a Reliant Robin.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

beepsandboops posted:

Meanwhile a law-abiding, legal gunowner accidentally shot a woman in a movie theater with a gun he brought because he was scared of mass shooters.

Thanks, good guy with a gun!

Bonus: it was at the Benghazi movie

quote:

Dane Gallion later told the arresting officer that another moviegoer reached for his crotch and that’s when he accidentally fired the gun, according to the probable-cause statement. Gallion said he fled the theater immediately because he didn’t want to be taken for a mass shooter.

If only there had been other gun-toters at the theater, he could have been caught at spot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Gun owners are just trying to protect themselves. They definitely don't own weapons to live out some hero/power fantasy.

• Locked thread