Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Full Battle Rattle posted:

The ACU pattern got chose because Crye Precision wouldn't give the government a good enough deal on Multicam. From what I understand the only reason they use it now is because they've changed it slightly and don't actually call it Multicam in any official capacity.

Like how the Springfield 1903 isn't a Mauser?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
hey guys the government wants to use our pattern in literally everything for the next decade or longer, but they want to pay 60 cents on the dollar for it

"no thanks"

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Vasudus posted:

hey guys the government wants to use our pattern in literally everything for the next decade or longer, but they want to pay 60 cents on the dollar for it

"no thanks"

I'm straining my memory here but I believe the Army wanted to pay a large sum to use the pattern in perpetuity, whereas the Crye guys wanted to be paid a small amount per sq. ft printed or something like that. Either way, the ACU pattern had been developed in-house and didn't have any fees associated with it, so they went with that. It's really blatant cheapskatery, the ACU performed very, very badly on all of their field tests.

If I remember right the NWU, the ACU, and whatever Marines call their get up are all the CADPAT pattern, just with different colors. So they actually didn't 'develop' jack poo poo.

Just from my own personal observation, the ACU actually worked fairly well in low light conditions in urban environments. People walking around on base before PT don't realize just how much they blend in, probably because they're used to the uniform sticking out like a sore thumb. This is literally the only condition in which the ACU Camo pattern actually hindered my ability to discern a human figure.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Scorpion W-2 is literally the exact same as MultiCam just sans one extra color swatch blob.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

Scorpion W-2 is literally the exact same as MultiCam just sans one extra color swatch blob.

Also with the whole infrared thing..

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

The material its made of seems different from my deployment OCP but I dont know if that's just from wearing it for a year straight or what

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
Like anything else the military is involved with, they hosed up the whole camo issue.

here is a huge amount of info on it: http://soldiersystems.net/tag/camo-wars/ and http://soldiersystems.net/tag/scorpion/

the second story on the last link there has a ton of info but Crye (the originator of scorpion and multicam) aren't the bad guys

see also this sperged out geocities page about the various army camo stuff http://www.hyperstealth.com/camo-improvement/index.html

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Ace of Baes posted:

The material its made of seems different from my deployment OCP but I dont know if that's just from wearing it for a year straight or what

They're completely different uniforms, it's just the patterns are related like in a West Virginia/Appalachian hill people kinda way.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Ace of Baes posted:

Definitely a different material. I'd wear the OEF Multicam FR ACU's everyday since they're so comfortable but since I haven't deployed I just use them when I go to the field. Originally bought them for field stuff anyway since I saw a practically brand new set at a surplus store for less than half the cost of OCPs but ended up preferring them over OCP's anyway.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

For those of you that are/were 19D's, did you guys ever use field expedient antennas and such?

The commo stuff they taught in ARC turned out to be pretty interesting/fun. The commo stuff they teach seemed to be new info to the 19D SSG's students in the course. ARC kind of turned me into a commo nerd after using a Harris radio to bounce the signal from Benning to Vancouver off the Ionosphere(?) with an inverted V antenna. Stabbing a knife into a tree to turn it into an antenna was pretty cool too.

I'd like to do some commo training like this with my platoon whenever I get one but not sure how to organize something like this.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Mustang posted:

I'd like to do some commo training like this with my platoon whenever I get one but not sure how to organize something like this.

A nobles first visit from the good idea fairy

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Mustang posted:

For those of you that are/were 19D's, did you guys ever use field expedient antennas and such?

Never.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Mustang posted:

The commo stuff they taught in ARC turned out to be pretty interesting/fun. The commo stuff they teach seemed to be new info to the 19D SSG's students in the course. ARC kind of turned me into a commo nerd after using a Harris radio to bounce the signal from Benning to Vancouver off the Ionosphere(?) with an inverted V antenna. Stabbing a knife into a tree to turn it into an antenna was pretty cool too.

Nope, not once.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
We never even took out those spools of wire for anything beyond a layout.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm so happy that Mustang is keeping us all up to date with everything he does. I can't wait to read the downward spiral that is going to be his life.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Has he been in a unit yet

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Give it a year after he hits his first unit. Reality sets in, just like when we watched Psydude do it.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Watching other people start the slow slide from hopeful yearning into eventual apathetic disgust with the occasional white-hot coal of naked hatred nurtured deep inside is really the only thing that keeps me going. It's like the schadenfreudian fountain of youth.

Diarrhea Elemental fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 25, 2016

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Ridiculous that this hasn't been posted yet

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Mustang nobody cares about your antenna, they just want to be released early so they can beat their wives and pick up the food stamps.

Also I hope you don't refer to yourself as "mustang" in real life because that has a very special meaning.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Zeris posted:

Ridiculous that this hasn't been posted yet

someone needs to make this poo poo mustangs av starting with the 1st pane and progressing as it dawns on him what hes done with himself

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Mustang posted:

Unless you're going to be the PL of a dismounted RSTA/LRS platoon you can leave that poo poo at the loving door because that "useful knowledge" is pretty much exclusively relegated to that sort of mission. Nowadays you can just network a bunch of 117Gs together and have some sort of wifi network or whatever, I dunno, that stuff's for nerds.

Seriously, unless you go to one of those two types of units and ONLY those types of units, don't bother boring your guys with that stuff because they're probably going to be functionally retarded and unable to understand it anyway. Also you probably won't even have the right equipment for it, nor will you have the luxury of having a Harris field office like we had so they can actually teach you how to program the 150 because it's not as easy as punching numbers in the faceplate (protip: you can write two identical programs on two seperate computers and program two radios, but they won't be able to talk because each computer's program will have a unique number key despite everything else being the same). Getting everyone spun up on the 150 effectively is a herculean task and won't be something you can just "teach" your guys if you actually want to incorporate it into your unit's METL.

Did they even give you guys toughbooks to send imagery or do anything useful beyond testing signal strength? Did they teach you how to program it? I only ask because I had to do that poo poo for two years as an 11B RTO and I don't wish that burden upon anyone else unless you are actually going to no-poo poo use it to do your job. Otherwise, focus on more important and pertinent tasks. I have a love-hate relationship with that piece of junk.

tl:dr the army is really gay and gently caress you if you are still in and gently caress you for making me remember that

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 25, 2016

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Justin Tyme posted:

Unless you're going to be the PL of a dismounted RSTA/LRS platoon you can leave that poo poo at the loving door because that "useful knowledge" is pretty much exclusively relegated to that sort of mission. Nowadays you can just network a bunch of 117Gs together and have some sort of wifi network or whatever, I dunno, that stuff's for nerds.

Seriously, unless you go to one of those two types of units and ONLY those types of units, don't bother boring your guys with that stuff because they're probably going to be functionally retarded and unable to understand it anyway. Also you probably won't even have the right equipment for it, nor will you have the luxury of having a Harris field office like we had so they can actually teach you how to program the 150 because it's not as easy as punching numbers in the faceplate (protip: you can write two identical programs on two seperate computers and program two radios, but they won't be able to talk because each computer's program will have a unique number key despite everything else being the same). Getting everyone spun up on the 150 effectively is a herculean task and won't be something you can just "teach" your guys if you actually want to incorporate it into your unit's METL.

Did they even give you guys toughbooks to send imagery or do anything useful beyond testing signal strength? Did they teach you how to program it? I only ask because I had to do that poo poo for two years as an 11B RTO and I don't wish that burden upon anyone else unless you are actually going to no-poo poo use it to do your job. Otherwise, focus on more important and pertinent tasks. I have a love-hate relationship with that piece of junk.

tl:dr the army is really gay and gently caress you if you are still in and gently caress you for making me remember that

Seriously, Mustang, your joes will barely be able to operate a SINCGARS set if you're lucky.

I saw this one dude (wasn't a 19D) not even know how to talk into one. No poo poo, he was holding the handset upside down with the loving cord on top.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

McNally posted:

Seriously, Mustang, your joes will barely be able to operate a SINCGARS set if you're lucky.

or better yet use it without giving all the plugs cunnilingus before jamming them in wrong and clearing out the encryption for the 8th time this week

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Zeris posted:

Also I hope you don't refer to yourself as "mustang" in real life because that has a very special meaning.

I've had this username since I regged, long before I ever put my OCS packet together or even thought of joining the Army.

Justin Tyme posted:

Yeah they gave us tough books to send imagery and taught us how to program it.

I'll be heading to my unit in a few months, still have to go to the stryker leaders course first. So I guess sometime this summer is when that age progression of a PL thing in that TL strip will start to happen.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Mustang posted:

I'll be heading to my unit in a few months, still have to go to the stryker leaders course first. So I guess sometime this summer is when that age progression of a PL thing in that TL strip will start to happen.

Hope you get a better welcome there than Ganoes Paran did at his first unit. :v:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

The only training that I ever gave a gently caress about was a pretty in depth class about investing, and how to do it with the dudes account in vanguard as the teaching tool. poo poo worked for me. Everything else sucked dick.

Also, what you may think is cool and good =/= cool and good to the others. Try to find the fine line between "hey this is heat!" And "this is something you're going to use."

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

If you're going to LRS start doing steroids now.

And enjoy spending more time on additional duties as a supply officer or training officer or babysitting some 55 year old E5 who reenlisted because he failed at civilian life and reclassed from janitor to NBC and knows literally nothing about either.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
And brush up on investigations because every dude getting out will claim he lost all of his stuff prior to clearing despite selling it to the local pawnshop.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Just abandon all hope entirely.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Most realistic course of action imo

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Aranan posted:

Hope you get a better welcome there than Ganoes Paran did at his first unit. :v:

I see what you did there.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Mustang posted:

I've had this username since I regged, long before I ever put my OCS packet together or even thought of joining the Army.

Yeah they gave us tough books to send imagery and taught us how to program it.

Well like I said, it's really cool knowledge and tools that are really useful depending on the mission but if you aren't in a (dismounted)RSTA unit or LRS don't bother. Can 19Ds even try out for LRS or is that 11B only?

Also depending on how far you need to communicate, there's better tech out there now than HF if you can get your hands on it, but my experience with 117Gs is limited.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Pretty sure that LRS/LRRS is all 11 series. That question came up a few times previously at my unit. You'd think it would be or at least include 19D, but apparently not.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Cav is fake infantry anyways

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Teflon Don posted:

Cav is fake infantry anyways
:allears:

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
More like gayer infantry.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

The motto of every HHC ever

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Triggs posted:

The motto of every HHC ever
I thought that was "hate us cause ain't us"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Just to add what dudes have already said, especially from a signal turd POV, not only will some of your dudes not get it, but many of them, even if they had the aptitude for it, will be so loving turbo gay motards that anything that further divorced them from being """""" grunts """""" will be met with active revulsion, and any attempts to improve their quality of life will be sabotaged through ignorance and sedition.

Tldr gently caress the wannabe door kickers, let them be loving retards abandon all hope.

• Locked thread