Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The great thing is that the early-adopter grognards who ruined the game for everyone else are still swearing that the game isn't hard enough and everybody else needs to :gitgud:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

drat, and I was actually interested in DD. So much for that.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

khwarezm posted:

I was being a bit facetious, but as a dinosaur nerd I find it a bit silly to treat Spinosaurus as emperor badass of all the dinosaurs just cause it was really big. It would be like if in 60 million years the dominant race of mutant squid people start making movies about the prehistoric animals of now, and they have the most dangerous, kickass animal of them all be a panda bear.

I agree, especially about wanking over having the real animals fight like stupid superhero matchups, but if you're adapting Jurassic Park 3 where Spinosaurus was Emperor (Pharaoh?) Badass, then you should go with it. Doubly especially if you're not updating any of the other inaccuracies we've learned since the movies were made, like feathers.

But then, it's not about accuracy, it's about for the last fourteen years 'the fans' have been sobbing in their Cheerios because Spino killed a Rex. Same reason World had the Rex smash a spinosaur skeleton.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite RNG moments are probably the hunger ones, the game keeps track of your characters hunger and whether or not they are full, you can have them eat and have them be full, take 2 steps and suddenly "YOUR PARTY IS HUNGRY AND NEEDS TO EAT", for some weird reason they didn't program a check for that, its just RNG.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Alteisen posted:

My favorite RNG moments are probably the hunger ones, the game keeps track of your characters hunger and whether or not they are full, you can have them eat and have them be full, take 2 steps and suddenly "YOUR PARTY IS HUNGRY AND NEEDS TO EAT", for some weird reason they didn't program a check for that, its just RNG.

I was reading reviews for the game a few months ago since I wanted to know if the presentation could salvage the terrible RNG-ridden gameplay and one of them said hunger is not even a distance thing. The implementation is seriously that a tile on the floor will be invisibly labeled "hunger" and if you step on that tile then suddenly we gotta eat. If you take a detour 3 hallways long to go around that tile, you might not see hunger pop up at all.

I later saw streamers confirm this. I feel like everyone who worked on the presentation in that game would be better off elsewhere, where their talents would be put to use on a better product, because goddamn the art design is too good to be wasted on a slot machine of a game.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Digirat posted:

I was reading reviews for the game a few months ago since I wanted to know if the presentation could salvage the terrible RNG-ridden gameplay and one of them said hunger is not even a distance thing. The implementation is seriously that a tile on the floor will be invisibly labeled "hunger" and if you step on that tile then suddenly we gotta eat. If you take a detour 3 hallways long to go around that tile, you might not see hunger pop up at all.

I later saw streamers confirm this. I feel like everyone who worked on the presentation in that game would be better off elsewhere, where their talents would be put to use on a better product, because goddamn the art design is too good to be wasted on a slot machine of a game.

oh what the gently caress

I thought it was based on 'tiles moved' or some poo poo, so I thought it was just a programming oversight that I feed a guy to give him back a hit point and then all four have to eat again because whoops party's moved a total of nineteen tiles therefore eat. No wonder you can wander near-clear dungeons for ever without needing to stop.

Jesus gently caress, everything I hear about DD just makes the game worse these days

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Thanks to this thread, the slight interest I had in DD is completely gone. If they ever fix their RNG bullshit, I might try it.

Even if they add an "easy" mode, where you can party up however and not get relentlessly hosed by the RNG, I'd try it.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sleeveless posted:

The great thing is that the early-adopter grognards who ruined the game for everyone else are still swearing that the game isn't hard enough and everybody else needs to :gitgud:

In case anyone is wondering, DD turned into a case study on why developers should rarely listen to their community. They've let the early adopter fans steer development to be COOL GUYS, but it turns out that their community was a bunch of toxic ubernerds who have been playing the game forever and demanded that every update be aimed squarely at giving them a fresh challenge. Now they're trying to backpedal which is making said grognards scream bloody murder.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Danger Mahoney posted:

In case anyone is wondering, DD turned into a case study on why developers should rarely listen to their community. They've let the early adopter fans steer development to be COOL GUYS, but it turns out that their community was a bunch of toxic ubernerds who have been playing the game forever and demanded that every update be aimed squarely at giving them a fresh challenge. Now they're trying to backpedal which is making said grognards scream bloody murder.

Is all this buffoonery documented in the DD thread in games?

Reading about this really makes me wish it had game settings like Don't Starve does.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Danger Mahoney posted:

The same thing happened with Broken Age, where the first half was a casual adventure game with some simple puzzles and the backers got pissy so the second half had frustrating puzzles that didn't even make sense within the game's logic because they felt like they had to appease to the cathair mustache crowd.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

RareAcumen posted:

Is all this buffoonery documented in the DD thread in games?

Reading about this really makes me wish it had game settings like Don't Starve does.

They seem to enjoy it there so probably not.

The whole thing reminds me of the long war mod for Xcom, which similarly got derailed into absurd difficulty and randomness to appeal to a certain type of hardcore demographic. In both cases there's tons of cool things and ideas you can't get elsewhere but its just such a pain in the rear end to play that the whole experience is soured. But for long war it was just some mod on the side you can get rid of anytime, in Darkest Dungeon we're talking about the actual game which you pay real life money for.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Danger Mahoney posted:

Actually the early adopter fans are bitching constantly that the new changes to the game make it so they can't just have a team of 4 lepers and beat on the front rank constantly and therefore the game is bad, but by all means, keep blurting out a bunch of poo poo to cover up the fact that you don't know how to play the game.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Somfin posted:

I remember when it was fun! I remember it being hard- fuckin' hard- but fun! drat, dude, my team's made up of three gibbering madmen and one who's gone full idiot hero but I think we can pull through and get that last room, let's do this poo poo! The three can't get worse and the one gets a crit every other attack, and if we pull through we'll be able to asylum up all three of 'em, let's fuckin go!

And then everything that's come out since has just been racking up the difficulty until, gently caress, why bother? I could barely hack it when it was "easy."

E: Yeah, anything that is deliberately stopping you from using good synergies is just hosed. If two classes are too good in concert and you can't design around that poo poo, saying "well you just can't use them together" is poo poo-tier game design, especially when it's literally a special case involving one specific class. The proper response is to put in a bunch of other cool synergies for players to discover, because that is where the fun is.

As it stands, I feel like the game has devolved into "if you play perfectly and the RNG smiles upon you, you might make it through some basic dungeons" as opposed to the old system which was more "holy gently caress dude how did you pull through there at the end (which honestly isn't too difficult but it sure feels like it in the heat of the moment)?"

Which characters were too good together? A lot of people won't play with the accursed beastman in chains. Like two or three maybe more of them?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Krinkle posted:

Which characters were too good together? A lot of people won't play with the accursed beastman in chains. Like two or three maybe more of them?

The religious classes won't play with the hosed up werewolf. There are three religious classes, and the roles they fill are filled plenty well enough by classes that WILL play with him. So, again, people just refusing to shuffle up their strategy and crying about DEVZ MAKE GAEM 2 HARD.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Whoa, calm down, dev.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

packetmantis posted:

keep blurting out a bunch of poo poo to cover up the fact that you don't know how to play the game.

packetmantis posted:

So, again, people just refusing to shuffle up their strategy and crying about DEVZ MAKE GAEM 2 HARD.

Sleeveless posted:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Krinkle posted:

Abominations and 'holy' characters like vestals and crusaders. To be fair I suppose it kind of works from a world-building point of view.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

I see you've figured out the quote function! Congratulations!

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

packetmantis posted:

I see you've figured out the quote function! Congratulations!
Please keep posting, your defense of DD is hilarious.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Stuntman posted:

Please keep posting, your defense of DD is hilarious.

Sorry I like a game that the Goon Opinion has changed on. :thumbsup:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Are you guys sure you aren't misremembering things? The game's gotten easier since its initial release and every change the devs have made just got annoyance from the community because much of what they've done is to balance the fact that bruiser classes like the Crusader, Highwayman, and Leper were just straight up better than other classes that didn't have raw damage output.

The game is definitely really grindy and the curios being unintuitive since early access, but I don't know, I don't recall it being any harder than when I first bought the early access game. The main thing to learn about the game is risk management and the value of skills that reposition your characters and your enemy team. I don't know, the biggest issue is just that the gameplay is incredibly repetitive, which takes away from that feel of horror that the game goes for. You can get things down to a routine.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

khwarezm posted:

Abominations and 'holy' characters like vestals and crusaders. To be fair I suppose it kind of works from a world-building point of view.

He made it sound like two very specific characters together could solo the entire game so I just wanted to know which of the three holy characters was the sticking point that dropped the blanket ban on holy+werewolf mechanic.

I'm new enough to the game that I can't see the synergy, is it vestals? The werewolf doesn't really take damage so I don't know if it needs heals. The occultist is better at healing in huge bursts so I don't know?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

People are complaining about My Favorite Game....in the complaining about games thread!!!!

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

khwarezm posted:

It doesn't, because the Occultist has literally made a pact with an old god and summons tentacles to bash on people inbetween doing blood sacrifices to heal absurd amounts, the Leper is a walking rotting corpse of a man and the Plague Doctor loves hacking apart bodies and experimenting with flesh melting blight potions. No other character has an issue partying with literal old god summoners. They couldn't balance that poo poo properly so instead of reworking it they just locked out the ones with the best synergy.

Ramos posted:

Are you guys sure you aren't misremembering things? The game's gotten easier since its initial release and every change the devs have made just got annoyance from the community because much of what they've done is to balance the fact that bruiser classes like the Crusader, Highwayman, and Leper were just straight up better than other classes that didn't have raw damage output.

The game is definitely really grindy and the curios being unintuitive since early access, but I don't know, I don't recall it being any harder than when I first bought the early access game. The main thing to learn about the game is risk management and the value of skills that reposition your characters and your enemy team. I don't know, the biggest issue is just that the gameplay is incredibly repetitive, which takes away from that feel of horror that the game goes for. You can get things down to a routine.

Games definitely gotten way harder. I had a save back in March, one in September-December and one when the full release came out. It's not even just stress, characters pile on so many status effects, get crit'd, miss their attacks and even don't have their skills proc properly. In comparison to when I first played it by the time you make it out everyone has probably gained 2-3 on a good run that need to be paid off at the sanitarium. If you've invested a few levels of upgrades you can't afford to just dump them in the wilds, so good luck spending a third of a run's loot trying to fix those while trying to save up to upgrade everyone else.

It really sucks because instead of making quirks and the sicknesses something that was uncommon but a huge deciding factor on whether you thought it was worth curing them, they just piled them on. That seems to be how they changed all the mechanics too. :smith:

Also, good luck grinding 16 full level heroes (bare minimum) with full upgrades and trinkets to do the Darkest Dungeon. Good loving luck.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

It doesn't, because the Occultist has literally made a pact with an old god and summons tentacles to bash on people inbetween doing blood sacrifices to heal absurd amounts, the Leper is a walking rotting corpse of a man and the Plague Doctor loves hacking apart bodies and experimenting with flesh melting blight potions. No other character has an issue partying with literal old god summoners. They couldn't balance that poo poo properly so instead of reworking it they just locked out the ones with the best synergy.

Yeah now that I think about I can't come up with a particularly good narrative reason why Lepers wouldn't fight alongside Abominations.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

khwarezm posted:

They seem to enjoy it there so probably not.

To be fair a lot of us in the DD thread think the game has some severe problems, like certain classes being blatantly shittier, the way hunger is done, etc. and we are modding those things. But there's a lot of discouragement to talk about it because every time you do like 5 people inevitably pop in to say you're weak for not "playing the game the way you're intended to."

Last time I checked, the important thing was for me to have fun playing the game and have a challenge, not use intentionally lovely characters and lose for no loving reason.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

khwarezm posted:

Yeah now that I think about I can't come up with a particularly good narrative reason why Lepers wouldn't fight alongside Abominations.

The leper is based on King Baldwin IV who was super Christian.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

But Fun only matters by my standards and anyone different is wrong.

I had the most fun cheating at the game. I lost eight hours with it last night.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Games definitely gotten way harder. I had a save back in March, one in September-December and one when the full release came out. It's not even just stress, characters pile on so many status effects, get crit'd, miss their attacks and even don't have their skills proc properly. In comparison to when I first played it by the time you make it out everyone has probably gained 2-3 on a good run that need to be paid off at the sanitarium. If you've invested a few levels of upgrades you can't afford to just dump them in the wilds, so good luck spending a third of a run's loot trying to fix those while trying to save up to upgrade everyone else.

It really sucks because instead of making quirks and the sicknesses something that was uncommon but a huge deciding factor on whether you thought it was worth curing them, they just piled them on. That seems to be how they changed all the mechanics too. :smith:

Also, good luck grinding 16 full level heroes (bare minimum) with full upgrades and trinkets to do the Darkest Dungeon. Good loving luck.

I think you're confusing grindy with difficulty. That said, yeah, the quirks are kind of insane and the lack of difference between diseases and personality things is disappointing.

But a lot of people don't really approach the game realizing that your party members are meat to grind. Even as you unlock more difficult missions, there will always be easy ranked missions to toss new people at, which in turn gives you a lot of what you'll need to progress.

So yeah, still ridiculously grindy but not that hard. I do hope with the modding stuff that people make the game take way less time to get through. It's an interesting take on things that over stays its welcome really fast, which is part of why I put in four or five hours when it initially came out and didn't touch it until now.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Ramos posted:

I think you're confusing grindy with difficulty. That said, yeah, the quirks are kind of insane and the lack of difference between diseases and personality things is disappointing.

But a lot of people don't really approach the game realizing that your party members are meat to grind. Even as you unlock more difficult missions, there will always be easy ranked missions to toss new people at, which in turn gives you a lot of what you'll need to progress.

So yeah, still ridiculously grindy but not that hard. I do hope with the modding stuff that people make the game take way less time to get through. It's an interesting take on things that over stays its welcome really fast, which is part of why I put in four or five hours when it initially came out and didn't touch it until now.

The problem is you need Level 6 characters (at the very least, 16 of them) to do the final dungeon and unlock the "ending." Each level 6 character is about 60k worth of investment for skills, upgrades, quirk removals, trinkets, etc. The game tries to tell you that you need to throw them endlessly in through the meatgrinder, but you can't do that when you're looking at losing 240k of an investment if you wipe.

16 characters for the endgame dungeon is going to be around 900-1000k worth of investment for one dungeon alone. When you only get 20-30k a dungeon on a good run it's hosed up to have a skeleton throw it's drink in your Crusaders face twice in a row and give him an unavoidable heartattack.

For the modding check the steam forums. Some people have found out how to remove the level restrictions so you can steamroll lower level dungeons with your full level characters, or return to the Darkest Dungeon. It's a good quick fix for now.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

packetmantis posted:

Yet he'll still be best buds with a grave robber and a literal demon worshipper.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

The problem is you need Level 6 characters (at the very least, 16 of them) to do the final dungeon and unlock the "ending." Each level 6 character is about 60k worth of investment for skills, upgrades, quirk removals, trinkets, etc. The game tries to tell you that you need to throw them endlessly in through the meatgrinder, but you can't do that when you're looking at losing 240k of an investment if you wipe.

16 characters for the endgame dungeon is going to be around 900-1000k worth of investment for one dungeon alone. When you only get 20-30k a dungeon on a good run it's hosed up to have a skeleton throw it's drink in your Crusaders face twice in a row and give him an unavoidable heartattack.

For the modding check the steam forums. Some people have found out how to remove the level restrictions so you can steamroll lower level dungeons with your full level characters, or return to the Darkest Dungeon. It's a good quick fix for now.

So it's really loving grindy instead of hard.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Something you could also do is make completing dungeons give you more XP, so if you lose a level 6 guy, you can raise up their replacement in less time.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Yet he'll still be best buds with a grave robber and a literal demon worshipper.

:jerkbag:

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
So in conclusion, yeah it doesn't make much sense why a Leper won't fight with an Abomination. But the truth is that the Leper is one of the worst classes so I rarely used him anyway. At least before modding.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Ramos posted:

So it's really loving grindy instead of hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arO-ADjd3Pg

It's both :smith: (not my video btw)

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

packetmantis posted:

Ah, so it's a realism thing and of course the Vestal and Crusader and Leper are all far too Christian and pure to ever ally themselves with a demon-possessed human it's lore guys it's deep and rich and meaningful and not a half-assed patch at all and if you just cared enough you'd understand

But they'll team up with the Occultist just fine despite him literally summoning the powers of an opposing deity because uh oh poo poo it's just a video game guys god stop whining about it in the whining about games thread why do you all care so much stop caring and just play the game and it'll be fun

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Somfin posted:

Ah, so it's a realism thing and of course the Vestal and Crusader and Leper are all far too Christian and pure to ever ally themselves with a demon-possessed human it's lore guys it's deep and rich and meaningful and not a half-assed patch at all and if you just cared enough you'd understand

But they'll team up with the Occultist just fine despite him literally summoning the powers of an opposing deity because uh oh poo poo it's just a video game guys god stop whining about it in the whining about games thread why do you all care so much stop caring and just play the game and it'll be fun

You should probably drink some water.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Somfin posted:

Ah, but the Vestal Crusader and Leper can actively fight the abomination because he's here and real, and I can hit him with my weapons/magic. Can't exactly fight a god occupying another dimension though.

Meanwhile, everyone keep talking about stuff in DD that bugs you, I'm interested. Plus, that's the point of this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

packetmantis posted:

You should probably drink some water.
Just leave man. You're being an idiot.

Thing dragging Bloodbourne down: my favourite playstyles from Demon and Dark souls don't really work there, because the game is a lot more themed on agility and side-stepping, which apparently means that every boss should have a "flailing murder" combo in its repertoire that is just as much about luck as "learning the game", while Magic is really hindered by the limited bullets. So being a mage or a ponderous dude just doesn't work.

"Shields are nice, but not if they engender passivity." indeed.