Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Taear posted:

And to Deathlove who asked about the quest markers in the zones - they're only where Affinity quests/Missions end. VERY few of the ones in zones are where the quest starts and there are ZERO affinity missions that begin outside NLA.

That is good information. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

10 hours into the recovery. Got nearly all of Primordia and Noctilum's Probes set that can be done without flight or whatever.

Still need to raid the other 3 continents. But it'll be fun when it comes to "Get the lifehold in Noctilum!" *Zrrrrrrrrt* and "Get to the Tainted in Noctilum!' that'll be a very, very short chapter.

I wish they did a better job about the lifehold stuff. Number 1 priority, but you can't tell anyone if you actually find one, like the one out in Primordia's ocean that you can see without even trying. At least the other 2 I'd seen were buried in cliff sides.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Bruceski posted:

Which doesn't really counter the point, since Mech 4 is obtained in the early game and an Ares 90 is the "you're done" prize.

And I can't get the quest for Mech 5 because I'm stuck on the Archeology one. By the time I have an Ares I'd have won the game, why would it matter then?

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

You can do the Off the Record quests in any order and even have them all active at the same time. Also "just get an Ares90" is bad advice because you don't even need it for 90% of the poo poo in this game. A level 50 Skell tricked out with the right augments can take out either of those tyrants (though the one in Cauldros is legit tough, true)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

HalfHazard posted:

You can do the Off the Record quests in any order and even have them all active at the same time. Also "just get an Ares90" is bad advice because you don't even need it for 90% of the poo poo in this game. A level 50 Skell tricked out with the right augments can take out either of those tyrants (though the one in Cauldros is legit tough, true)

Then I've got the worst loving luck in the world since I've had level 4 Mechanics now for over FIFTY hours and the quest hasn't appeared but the Archeology one appeared instantly.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Taear posted:

Then I've got the worst loving luck in the world since I've had level 4 Mechanics now for over FIFTY hours and the quest hasn't appeared but the Archeology one appeared instantly.

Yeah it's one of those weird/bad design decisions in this game that I just don't understand. Just keep on opening and closing the quest terminal until the game coughs it up.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What are some good augments for taking on the level 90 tyrants anyways?

Also gently caress getting those crude mask for the level 60 skells.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

HalfHazard posted:

Yeah it's one of those weird/bad design decisions in this game that I just don't understand. Just keep on opening and closing the quest terminal until the game coughs it up.

In many ways Xenoblade X reminds me of when I played Morrowind back when the game was new. You're loving it for the first half until you notice loads of perculiar easily fixed imperfections and by the time you finish it you never want to touch the game again.

There's something so weird and lonely about the game when only certain specific characters talk in cutscenes and the game really disincentivises you using different characters since they're all basically the same and will arbitrarily not be usable in certain missions. And even if they ARE usable they'll never ever say a word.
Seriously what race is L and why aren't there any more of him?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Electric Phantasm posted:

What are some good augments for taking on the level 90 tyrants anyways?

Also gently caress getting those crude mask for the level 60 skells.

The NeilNails seem like they were cut bosses for the non-existant third act (though I'm guessing wildly). They look like something that generally turns up once a Xeno- story goes right off the rails.

Taear posted:

In many ways Xenoblade X reminds me of when I played Morrowind back when the game was new. You're loving it for the first half until you notice loads of perculiar easily fixed imperfections and by the time you finish it you never want to touch the game again.

There's something so weird and lonely about the game when only certain specific characters talk in cutscenes and the game really disincentivises you using different characters since they're all basically the same and will arbitrarily not be usable in certain missions. And even if they ARE usable they'll never ever say a word.

I think the best way to describe XCX as a whole is that it somehow manages to be a fantastic game in spite of itself.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Taear posted:

One of the initial concept designs of L had him as a lion-man, which, I mean, if they had went that route and he had been a Wrothian they could have added some storylinedrama to his character

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Chronicles: Just go to the next story bit
X: you have to do this sidequest first, no we will not tell you where the sidequest is

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Eh, not worth it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 25, 2016

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The NeilNails seem like they were cut bosses for the non-existant third act (though I'm guessing wildly). They look like something that generally turns up once a Xeno- story goes right off the rails.

I haven't gotten that far yet, but the Cantors seem like they'd be in a very similar boat.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FeyerbrandX posted:

I haven't gotten that far yet, but the Cantors seem like they'd be in a very similar boat.

The Oc-Servs and Xe-Doms also seem like they're meant to be much much more important than they wound up being.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

I've bitched about this game a lot, but things I think it does better:

Jumping really high and from really high rules
The guns are a good addition.
NPC affinity updates on the fly, and that's rad too.
Targeting enemy limbs is a good mechanic.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

many johnnys posted:

I've bitched about this game a lot, but things I think it does better:

Jumping really high and from really high rules

No fall damage to penalize you for exploring.

One thing that bothers me though is that aside for a few base camps, they aren't available for fast travel.
That and/or not being able to change time on the fly. Its not so bad right now, but that really pissed me off when the game came out.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Lin: I want to eat you tatsu

Developers: Get it?? Because if you don't, we'll tell it again

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

you can't hear the voices in mission briefing at all, even if you tried

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

this is also a waste of their voice acting budget. Let's record dialog that nobody is able to listen to. We are smart people.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

many johnnys posted:

Lin: I want to eat you tatsu

Developers: Get it?? Because if you don't, we'll tell it again

I got it, it was a super funny joke, and jokes are always just as funny - if not funnier!- the second, third, forth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth and ninth time around.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So is the story in Xenoblade Chronicles better than the one here? I wanted to play that game since the setting sounded really unique and I hear it had strong writing. Playing X has made me second guess that though. Cause while I'm having fun exploring and slaughtering my way across this planet, almost all the plot feels really stupid. And while this setting looks cool the logic behind it seems pretty awful.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

So is the story in Xenoblade Chronicles better than the one here? I wanted to play that game since the setting sounded really unique and I hear it had strong writing. Playing X has made me second guess that though. Cause while I'm having fun exploring and slaughtering my way across this planet, almost all the plot feels really stupid. And while this setting looks cool the logic behind it seems pretty awful.

Chronicles is a game where the characters have, like, motivations and "reasons to be in the game at all." The story is most certainly better than X (a low bar to clear), but where it really shines is the presentation. Seriously, watch this cutscene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfdHEcywkJY

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

X is largely not a story about the individual characters. They're intended to be window dressing and a little bit of perspective on the world you're in, not primary drivers of the plot. If that doesn't work for people then it doesn't work for them. It can be argued whether they work well or not for the intended purpose they'll serve, but it strikes me as a bit silly to complain that most of them are not intricately tied to the world and storyline when they're not really intended to be. It would be far weirder if Luxaar had a beef with Doug or something.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The problem is that the "primary driver of the plot" is a morally uncomplicated and uniformly competent military organization. Instead of a person, the protagonist is BLADE, and BLADE is even more boring and uncompelling than the characters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

The problem is that the "primary driver of the plot" is a morally uncomplicated and uniformly competent military organization. Instead of a person, the protagonist is BLADE, and BLADE is even more boring and uncompelling than the characters.

... Did we play the same Xenoblade X? I'm not sure how you can do the sidequests and call BLADE uncomplicated and especially uniformly competent. Especially uniformly competent. Even your protagonist has a pretty good chance of disastrously loving up missions.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chumbler posted:

X is largely not a story about the individual characters. They're intended to be window dressing and a little bit of perspective on the world you're in, not primary drivers of the plot. If that doesn't work for people then it doesn't work for them. It can be argued whether they work well or not for the intended purpose they'll serve, but it strikes me as a bit silly to complain that most of them are not intricately tied to the world and storyline when they're not really intended to be. It would be far weirder if Luxaar had a beef with Doug or something.

Then how the hell are you supposed to invest the player when A; your character is a passive observer to other characters who actually have personal stakes aside from "Survive", and B; There's a big ticking clock hanging over the other characters to drive them forward. If we're not meant to be invested in the player-character, or the other characters, who the hell are we meant to be invested in in this story?

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

chumbler posted:

Yeah for me the only real problem this game's story has is that it's all obviously a setup for the sequel. But the sidequest content is good enough that I don't mind the main story being lackluster in comparison.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Then how the hell are you supposed to invest the player when A; your character is a passive observer to other characters who actually have personal stakes aside from "Survive", and B; There's a big ticking clock hanging over the other characters to drive them forward. If we're not meant to be invested in the player-character, or the other characters, who the hell are we meant to be invested in in this story?

The side characters and people of NLA. It's basically like Fallout or whatever where the main plot is just an excuse.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ImpAtom posted:

... Did we play the same Xenoblade X? I'm not sure how you can do the sidequests and call BLADE uncomplicated and especially uniformly competent. Especially uniformly competent. Even your protagonist has a pretty good chance of disastrously loving up missions.

Yeah even with how little of the game I've played I haven't seen BLADE being very competent. That's one of the parts that bugs me; given the situation you are in every human life should be precious, and they say as much, but BLADE members seem to drop like flies. I'm not sure how humanity has lasted two months on this planet when their military force goes through members absurdly fast.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

The side characters and people of NLA. It's basically like Fallout or whatever where the main plot is just an excuse.

That's the central problem of the game in a great big spotlight though. The sidecontent should be window-dressing (admittedly really good window-dressing) on a central plot, not outshining it at every turn.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Within the main story, BLADE has a simple motivation: defend against threats and secure the lifehold. This motivation is 100% black-and-white good guyism with no wrinkles to it. Within the main story, the only character who wavers or fucks up in any way is Lao. When people die, it's redshirt-style, an accepted duty. Imagine Star Trek TNG except blander and without moral conundrums.

"Oh, but things get messy in the sidequests!!" Right, the sidequests with worse cutscenes, no voicework, no consequences, and villains whose motivation is "Well actually I think genocide is good". Fan-tastic.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 25, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's the central problem of the game in a great big spotlight though. The sidecontent should be window-dressing (admittedly really good window-dressing) on a central plot, not outshining it at every turn.

Why? That's like every open world RPG in a nutshell. Even in The Witcher 3 or whatever the side plots are infinitely more interesting than the main plot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

Why? That's like every open world RPG in a nutshell. Even in The Witcher 3 or whatever the side plots are infinitely more interesting than the main plot.

The Witcher 3 doesn't try to set up big important questions pertaining to the very roots of the setting and then never answer them. This isn't just a story where you're off to see the Wizard or stop the big bad guy, they really focus on there being two mysterious fleets involved in the destruction of Earth, along Mira being a weird place that is not at all normal... and then never address it. Out of what are about three or four big important questions brought up repeatedly throughout the game, there's only one of them half-heartedly answered in the last hour of the story with no actual resolution from its implications.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Witcher 3 doesn't try to set up big important questions pertaining to the very roots of the setting and then never answer them. This isn't just a story where you're off to see the Wizard or stop the big bad guy, they really focus on there being two mysterious fleets involved in the destruction of Earth, along Mira being a weird place that is not at all normal... and then never address it. Out of what are about three or four big important questions brought up repeatedly throughout the game, there's only one of them half-heartedly answered in the last hour of the story with no actual resolution from its implications.

That has nothing to do with the main plot outshining the side plots though.

Supercar Gautier posted:

villains whose motivation is "Well actually I think genocide is good". Fan-tastic.

Xenoblade's villains were almost all this. Metal Face or Dickson or whatever had basically not motivation beyond "killing is awesome" and "I want power!"

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 25, 2016

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

You can also tell they dropped a plotline with Chausson. When he's first established, Elma practically shouts "GOSH THIS GUY SURE IS POWER-HUNGRY" and then for the rest of the story he's entirely reasonable, works nicely with everyone, and never pulls any schemes.

A lot of the defenses of the game's storytelling seem to amount to "That's not the draw, the good part is this other thing" and holy hell some of you are apparently made of time that you're willing to sit through scenes that aren't supposed to be good.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
To say one specific thing is "the problem" is very generous for this game. It still manages to be an above average game, but I've enjoyed it way less than Chronicles, Xenosaga 1 & 3.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Justification for BLADE being competent:
They're able to establish camps practically anywhere, including the middle of a loving volcano in the shadow of the enemy who wants humanity dead and its still there.

Justification for BLADE being incompetent:
Those who establish those camps do gently caress all nothing after doing that, aside from maybe hold the keys to the trailer.
Look for the lifehold only when plot significant.
Letting ANYONE become a BLADE, including people who make the Saturday morning Cartoon villain look competent. Gunna murder some guys because I want to be marginally better off for the short term. Gotta pick a fight with the main character because he's better than me.
Gate Skells to you (and party members who already piloted Skells) behind plot progression and mini-quests while letting the above mentioned maniacs have them. Also let those goons who run the camps have them just collect dust.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

I honestly just don't give much of a poo poo about "deep moral conundrums" or having my choices have huge far-reaching consequences or having every plot point explained by the end of the game or any of that other crap because it's really obvious to me that they were focusing on making a great world to explore and a fun battle system to play around with, and they more than succeeded at those things, ie. the really important parts

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Supercar Gautier posted:

You can also tell they dropped a plotline with Chausson. When he's first established, Elma practically shouts "GOSH THIS GUY SURE IS POWER-HUNGRY" and then for the rest of the story he's entirely reasonable, works nicely with everyone, and never pulls any schemes.

I'd consider this a good thing. I'm sick of every story where the one important political guy ends up being a power-hungry rear end in a top hat/is a useless idiot when it comes to everything that is actually important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

A lot of the defenses of the game's storytelling seem to amount to "That's not the draw, the good part is this other thing" and holy hell some of you are apparently made of time that you're willing to sit through scenes that aren't supposed to be good.

It's not a defense of the game's storytelling so much as it is not really surprising for this style of game. I'd certainly be happy if it wasn't but I literally can't think of one of this style of game where I gave a poo poo about the main villains and their paper-thin uninteresting plots or where the main characters were interestingly developed. It is a flaw of the genre, I wish it wasn't, but it is.

Xenoblade X came out the same year as Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 and so it is what I mostly am compared it to, and while I think both of those games did things better (and Witcher 3 is an overall better game) a lot of the flaws in XCX are stuff that is present in both of them as well.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 25, 2016

• Locked thread