Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Myths Chinese Girls Have About ‘Laowai’ Foreign Men http://www.chinasmack.com/2013/stories/myths-chinese-girls-have-about-laowai-foreign-men.html

"Chinese men are really innocent and pure, dull on the surface but romantic on the inside, able to save a lifetime’s worth of money just to buy a house to marry you."

"Chinese men, in their bones, are simple and gullible. You only need act cute or use some small tricks and they will fall in love with you.
Laowai in China are all misers. Playing tricks on them is useless. Laowai are very cool-headed and savvy, always calculating what they can get."

"Chinese men have extramarital affairs for sexual pleasure, they won’t divorce you, but many laowai will want a divorce after having an extramarital affair, because they only care about their own happiness. If you can’t bring him the happiness their lover does, then he will want to divorce you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
In chinese general culture the idea of people enjoying sex within their "primary" relationship is not even considered. It's depressing as hell. Love can only be shown with presents and gifts. Sex is purely for babymaking. It's a fundamentalist's dream come true.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich

spacetoaster posted:

"Chinese men are really innocent and pure, dull on the surface but romantic on the inside, able to save a lifetime’s worth of money just to buy a house to marry you."

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!

StevoMcQueen posted:

I had a couchsurfer from Taiwan who saw it snowing outside for the first time in her life while visiting. It's weird, in a sweet way, to see an adult so amazed by something that otherwise seems so relatively mundane.

Also had a couchsurfer from mainland China, who spent the whole time telling me how beautiful everything was; the sky, the sea, the moors, etc, to the point of exclaiming "I don't have any other adjectives! It's all just so beautiful!"

At the time, I just thought she was being polite to me as a host. Having read the last thread and this, I can now see why blue skies and heather covered moorland really would be 'so beautiful'.

Last year in Guangzhou I went for a two month period without seeing the sun.

spacetoaster posted:

Myths Chinese Girls Have About ‘Laowai’ Foreign Men http://www.chinasmack.com/2013/stories/myths-chinese-girls-have-about-laowai-foreign-men.html

"Chinese men, in their bones, are simple and gullible. You only need act cute or use some small tricks and they will fall in love with you.
Laowai in China are all misers. Playing tricks on them is useless. Laowai are very cool-headed and savvy, always calculating what they can get."

"Chinese men have extramarital affairs for sexual pleasure, they won’t divorce you, but many laowai will want a divorce after having an extramarital affair, because they only care about their own happiness. If you can’t bring him the happiness their lover does, then he will want to divorce you."

quote:

这正是最大的误区,因为对很多穷老外来说中国只有两种女人。1妓女2免费女人。但是他们对免费女人是否更尊重呢,非也。老外更瞧不起的不是妓女,而是不花钱就能搞上手的女人。因为这样的女人什么都不图,只贪图老外胯下7英寸,在男人眼里这种女人淫荡糜烂没有自尊,廉价便宜智力低下,所以老外都说中国女孩是“easygirl”这个指的就是那些不要钱的姑娘们。

quote:

The original Chinese expression can be literally interpreted as “the seven inches below a laowai’s crotch”.

I wonder if "胯下7英寸" is a chengyu?

EasternBronze fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 25, 2016

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
There is a supposedly very good hot pot place near where I live, but I'm scared to try it because I feel like someone could sneak up behind me and dunk my head in the hot oil.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Hey, remember bird flu? Yeah me neither, til I was rereading old back issues of National Geographic. Turns out Hong Kong/China has some trouble with the tricky bug, as covered in one issue. Luckily it's online and you can read on your potential future death!

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0510/feature1/

quote:

In May 1997 a three-year-old boy was admitted to a Hong Kong hospital with a cough and fever. His symptoms worsened rapidly and he had trouble breathing. He was given a flood of antibiotics and put on a ventilator, but within six days he was dead. Flu experts were astonished when secretions from the boy's windpipe yielded an H5N1 virus. It turned out to be the same one that had killed the chickens.

Still, his death looked like it might be a fluke until late in the year, when another 17 people checked into hospitals around Hong Kong with similar symptoms, and tests confirmed infection with H5N1. Five died. Many of the victims had visited one of the island's live-poultry markets.

Public health experts converged on Hong Kong, fearing that a 1918-style pandemic was about to explode. They persuaded the Hong Kong government to kill every last bird—1.5 million of them—in the farms and markets. The mass slaughter worked. That particular H5N1 virus was never seen again, and a public health disaster had been averted.

But in 2001 another deadly strain of H5N1 cropped up in Hong Kong's markets, and the city again began killing poultry. This time the respite was shorter, and by the beginning of 2002 chickens were again dying of flu. The fact was, the drastic measures in Hong Kong had left the source of all these viruses untouched. They were coming from outside Hong Kong—just across the territorial border in southern China.

Radiating from China, H5N1 strains reached South Korea and Japan in the north; they swept through Southeast Asia as far as Indonesia. Some experts and officials have suggested that the viruses traveled in the guts of wild waterbirds—geese, ducks, herons—which might have picked up the infection from farms. Governments embarrassed by their failure to halt the flu's spread welcome that idea. "They get a free lunch," says Yi Guan, a virologist at the University of Hong Kong. "Each time there's an outbreak, they say, 'It's migratory birds. I cannot control them. I cannot lock my sky!'"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wedemeyer posted:

Hey, remember bird flu? Yeah me neither, til I was rereading old back issues of National Geographic. Turns out Hong Kong/China has some trouble with the tricky bug, as covered in one issue. Luckily it's online and you can read on your potential future death!

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0510/feature1/

On a related noted Spillover is a really great book focus on spillover viruses

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Blistex posted:

Don't really care, no why.

Enjoy some Chinese fashion throughout the ages.

ok but what about where they're wearing potato sacks during the great leap forward

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

EasternBronze posted:

I wonder if "胯下7英寸" is a chengyu?

One character too many. Though I think a good one to load into my Anki deck.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

An Italian claims to have successfully performed a monkey head transplant alongside a team of Chinese scientists at a university in Harbin.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Two trustworthy and enlightened nation states for sure

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I used to work at a convenience store in Portland when I was younger and my most hated regular customer was an old Chinese lady who only ever came in to buy many cartons of garbage-tier cigarettes. A typical interaction would be her coming in, walking up to the counter and asking for X boxes of whatever brand was cheapest that day.

I'd ring them up and be like 'okay that'll be $360.69' and she'd stop, squint stare at me for a few minutes then say 'Okay...I give you...$320...' and start slowly counting out $10 bills (always tens).
'No the total is $360.69'
'....okay.....I give you $350...'
'No you give me 360.69!!'
Then she'd scowl and get all pissy, yell 'Fine!!' and count out the money in exact change. Sometimes she'd yell poo poo in Chinese as she was leaving depending on how much she had to spend. This happened at least once every other week for the entire 5 months I worked there.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I used to work at a convenience store in Portland when I was younger and my most hated regular customer was an old Chinese lady who only ever came in to buy many cartons of garbage-tier cigarettes. A typical interaction would be her coming in, walking up to the counter and asking for X boxes of whatever brand was cheapest that day.

I'd ring them up and be like 'okay that'll be $360.69' and she'd stop, squint stare at me for a few minutes then say 'Okay...I give you...$320...' and start slowly counting out $10 bills (always tens).
Then she'd scowl and get all pissy, yell 'Fine!!' and count out the money in exact change. Sometimes she'd yell poo poo in Chinese as she was leaving depending on how much she had to spend. This happened at least once every other week for the entire 5 months I worked there.

Duh, she was asking you out

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I was talking to a friend the other day and it got me thinking. How do Chinese people react to American or European or whatever people of Chinese descent? My buddy Steve is full-blooded Chinese but he's also the fourth generation to be born in the US and doesn't speak any Chinese and behaves like a typical Californian.

How would John Q. Nong treat Steve?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Modest Mao posted:

Also it fell to near freezing temperatures in Taiwan (in some higher elevation places it's been snowing) and already 50+ people have died in their homes from hypothermia. poo poo's pretty hosed up.

how many people died from unventilated fan use or drinking cold water?

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I was talking to a friend the other day and it got me thinking. How do Chinese people react to American or European or whatever people of Chinese descent? My buddy Steve is full-blooded Chinese but he's also the fourth generation to be born in the US and doesn't speak any Chinese and behaves like a typical Californian.

Based on a friend's experience in Shanghai: pretty badly.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

If you got a indian owner and chinese customer together you would get the haggling version of the famous blue screen of death.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Jel Shaker posted:

Duh, she was asking you out

what an inscrutable people

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

afaik Chinese like Californians but don't like Chinese-looking people aren't don't act Chinese.

There are probably some that just don't like Californians, much like the rest of the world.

Does anybody know why green hats are supposedly worn only by cucks?

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-33788143

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://i.imgur.com/qZ18ZEz.gifv

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I guess he didn't want to pay the toll.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

afaik Chinese like Californians but don't like Chinese-looking people aren't don't act Chinese.

There are probably some that just don't like Californians, much like the rest of the world.

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-33788143

Click the little speaker

https://translate.google.com/?oe=ut...B8%BD%E5%AD%90.

The internet also says that the men in the families where the women were prostitutes had to wear green hats during the Yuan dynasty, but that seems unenforceable and probably not-true to me.

raton fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 25, 2016

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

We laugh, but are we sure it's not supposed to be like that?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Sammus posted:

We laugh, but are we sure it's not supposed to be like that?

He was probably just delivering some hoverboards

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I guess he didn't want to pay the toll.

Nong discovers one weird trick

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

A truck driver got an unexpected surprise on Wednesday during a journey to east China's Anhui Province when his cargo suddenly caught fire, forcing him to take action to prevent a potential catastrophic accident.

The truck, which was fully loaded with refrigerator compressors, was heading from Jingdezhen City in east China's Jiangxi Province to Hefei, Anhui's provincial capital, when its cargo burst into flames on the Anqing Yantze River Bridge on Hean Highway.

Upon seeing the fiery truck bed, the driver drove two more kilometers to a toll station, where highway personnel urgently lifted an already-closed gate for it to pass through, according to video captured from surveillance cameras.

The truck stopped after passing the toll station and firefighters took 20 minutes to extinguish the flames.

According to the truck driver, he had the truck inspected at a service center during the trip and found nothing wrong with it.

http://newscontent.cctv.com/NewJsp/news.jsp?fileId=338152

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Truckers in the US used to buy signal jammers which the would switch on when going through automated toll gates on the East Coast which would gently caress up the toll gates and let them through for free as this was the default behavior. After it became more than occasional they just started putting a cop there who would get a notification that all the gates mysteriously had stopped functioning and he'd just pull over whatever semi was going through at the time.

Seemed pretty Chinese-y to me.

I also bought a signal jammer for cell phones that was made in China just so I could have more peace and quiet on the train but it wasn't strong enough to kill the signal more than like two feet away.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

it was a government imposed dress code meant to identify relatives of sex workers

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

I also bought a signal jammer for cell phones that was made in China just so I could have more peace and quiet on the train but it wasn't strong enough to kill the signal more than like two feet away.

Isn't that illegal as all hell?

I mean, don't let me stop you or anything

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

That's because we're basically the best kind of Americans. 200 years of mild winters make you chill as gently caress, and californians love going to the beach and going to the mall and speaking limited Spanish and watching movies and smoking weed, which is as you know the primary signifiers of a culture that is chill as gently caress - in Conclusion, california #1

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

Based on a friend's experience in Shanghai: pretty badly.

Anything that stuck out (as in a thing you could post in this thread) or just generalized lovely treatment?

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 25, 2016

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Yeah of course it is! But it's pretty tough for you to be discovered with only a very small radius.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

For everyone but the police. Like everything else.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Sheep-Goats posted:

Truckers in the US used to buy signal jammers which the would switch on when going through automated toll gates on the East Coast which would gently caress up the toll gates and let them through for free as this was the default behavior. After it became more than occasional they just started putting a cop there who would get a notification that all the gates mysteriously had stopped functioning and he'd just pull over whatever semi was going through at the time.

Seemed pretty Chinese-y to me.

That's a really big deal especially after 9/11. Throw that thing away and just talk to the person seated two feet away instead of being a goon. And getting sent to jail if you get caught.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Skeesix posted:

That's a really big deal especially after 9/11. Throw that thing away and just talk to the person seated two feet away instead of being a goon. And getting sent to jail if you get caught.

I don't have it any more as my fantasies of just shutting everyone's phone off in the train didn't pan out. Tested it in my room and it didn't work well enough to be effective, so I never used it otherwise.

Also anyone who says "just talk to the person seated two feet away" has no idea what it's like in a NYC subway trying to get someone to shut off their phone.

Really big deal my rear end.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I would pay good money to see the automated photo that was taken as that rolling chuar stand went through the tollbooth (you can see the flash go off about halfway).

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Sheep-Goats posted:

I don't have it any more as my fantasies of just shutting everyone's phone off in the train didn't pan out. Tested it in my room and it didn't work well enough to be effective, so I never used it otherwise.

Also anyone who says "just talk to the person seated two feet away" has no idea what it's like in a NYC subway trying to get someone to shut off their phone.

Really big deal my rear end.

I don't understand. You want people to stop talking on their phones? How do you expect to get peace and quiet riding the MTA? I lived in NYC for a few years, and cell phones were the least distracting thing I can remember.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

nickmeister posted:

I don't understand. You want people to stop talking on their phones? How do you expect to get peace and quiet riding the MTA? I lived in NYC for a few years, and cell phones were the least distracting thing I can remember.

Try taking the 7 into Queens and tell me that.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
It just seems weird to expect someone to not use their phones in a public space. Especially someone living in New York. Or any city, really.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

nickmeister posted:

It just seems weird to expect someone to not use their phones in a public space. Especially someone living in New York. Or any city, really.

It's not weird to not want people to use their phone in a train or an elevator you retard.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Yeah, it is dude. Maybe you should move to Japan? I hear they feel the same way about phones on the train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

nickmeister posted:

Yeah, it is dude. Maybe you should move to Japan? I hear they feel the same way about phones on the train.

Yeah, and it's pretty loving great.

• Locked thread