Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
that's just not true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
It's pretty amazing that almost nobody here has actually tried playing Paper Jam but everyone has already decided that they all hate it. gently caress you guys

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm gonna get it when I have time to play it...

:smith:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun is subjective and all but its not like the 3DS has had much of a release drought recently. I thought him saying that sounded odd too, regardless of game quality.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Austrian mook posted:

It's pretty amazing that almost nobody here has actually tried playing Paper Jam but everyone has already decided that they all hate it. gently caress you guys

I'm playing it right now. My opinion is that it's fun, but not like a super great game. I've played better.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Cliff Racer posted:

Fun is subjective and all but its not like the 3DS has had much of a release drought recently. I thought him saying that sounded odd too, regardless of game quality.

I could never really get into Monster Hunter, the game just overwhelmed me. Other than that what has there really been of great quality for the 3DS? I hardly ever used that thing until Paper Jam.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Dr. Fetus posted:

I'm playing it right now. My opinion is that it's fun, but not like a super great game. I've played better.

That's fine, I'm not trying to argue everyone should have the same opinion as me, more that poo poo like this:

TheKingofSprings posted:

I don't want to buy Paper Jam because it looks like the laziest Mario and Luigi game by a wide margin

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

It's a cold and dark time to be a Paper Mario fan. And if Paper Jam is any indication it'll only get worse.

Is loving stupid.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

No partner characters and no original characters didnt care

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Austrian mook posted:

I could never really get into Monster Hunter, the game just overwhelmed me. Other than that what has there really been of great quality for the 3DS? I hardly ever used that thing until Paper Jam.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon came out in December, Yokai-Watch came out in November and Tri-Force Heroes was in October. All sorts of re-releases, eShop only titles, Japan-centric and otherwise minor but not necessarily bad games came out over the summer time. Back in April and March you got Xenoblade, Story of Seasons (aka Harvest Moon), a different Mystery Dungeon, Code Name: STEAM, Mario vs. Donkey Kong TS, Majora's Mask 3D and Monster Hunter (which you don't like so you can scratch it.) Is that list as amazing as the PS4 or whatever? No, but you're in the Wii U thread and there's a lot of people here who wish it was getting as much love as the 3DS has.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

zolthorg posted:

no original characters didnt care

It makes up for that by having the Koopalings be actual characters for the first time in a game.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Cliff Racer posted:

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon came out in December, Yokai-Watch came out in November and Tri-Force Heroes was in October. All sorts of re-releases, eShop only titles, Japan-centric and otherwise minor but not necessarily bad games came out over the summer time. Back in April and March you got Xenoblade, Story of Seasons (aka Harvest Moon), a different Mystery Dungeon, Code Name: STEAM, Mario vs. Donkey Kong TS, Majora's Mask 3D and Monster Hunter (which you don't like so you can scratch it.) Is that list as amazing as the PS4 or whatever? No, but you're in the Wii U thread and there's a lot of people here who wish it was getting as much love as the 3DS has.

Ah, I guess there have been titles, I just don't have a whole lot of interest in the first two (played the original pokemon mystery dungeons but apparently the new one's are dumbed down? Idk) and I don't have anyone irl to play triforce heroes with so that's not really worth it to me as well. The demo of codename steam looked kinda bad? Idk, i was trying to like it but it felt really lovely for an int sys game, and I love those guys.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

SeANMcBAY posted:

It makes up for that by having the Koopalings be actual characters for the first time in a game.

I was pleasantly surprised by that. Had a bit of a laugh at Wendy beating up Roy if you counter one of his attacks properly. To AlphaDream's credit, they're doing way more with existing Mario stuff in Paper Jam than what Intelligent Systems did with Sticker Star.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The thing with Paper Mario is that it appears just to be an aesthetic choice. I'd like to actually see the "paper" bit be a design choice. Maybe the Link Between Worlds team should have a go at it.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

I was pleasantly surprised by that. Had a bit of a laugh at Wendy beating up Roy if you counter one of his attacks properly. To AlphaDream's credit, they're doing way more with existing Mario stuff in Paper Jam than what Intelligent Systems did with Sticker Star.
True. But I don't think it was Intelligent System's fault entirely for Sticker Star being vanilla, Miyamoto told them that story isn't necessary for a Paper Mario game.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Austrian mook posted:

That's fine, I'm not trying to argue everyone should have the same opinion as me, more that poo poo like this:

Is loving stupid.

I agree with that. It's strange that the people most down on it are also the ones saying they're not buying it. I mean on one hand it makes sense to not spend money on a game you're set out to dislike, but still.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I guess ill have to pick up Bowsers Inside Story and Dream Team, I loved Superstar Saga but Partners in Time was so poo poo it turned me off the mario and Luigi handheld series.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
None of them have the problems of Partners in time, which was basically a straight corridor. They each have their own different foibles but for me PiT was the most tedious.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

greatn posted:

None of them have the problems of Partners in time, which was basically a straight corridor. They each have their own different foibles but for me PiT was the most tedious.

All bros moves being items was loving poo poo also, although i can't entirely explain exactly why.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Atlas Hugged posted:

The thing with Paper Mario is that it appears just to be an aesthetic choice. I'd like to actually see the "paper" bit be a design choice. Maybe the Link Between Worlds team should have a go at it.

They actually do get some mileage out of the whole paper gimmick in TTYD and PJ; namely, Mario can fold himself up into various vehicles and turn sideways to slip through bars.

Austrian mook posted:

I guess ill have to pick up Bowsers Inside Story and Dream Team, I loved Superstar Saga but Partners in Time was so poo poo it turned me off the mario and Luigi handheld series.

Dooooo iiiiit. PiT is the awful outlier in the series and is the worst Mario RPG, but the rest of the M&L games are great.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't think the linear style of PiT was even the big problem. The issue is that everything had way too much HP, so every battle took way too long even if it was easy. RPGs should try not to make the player dread getting in a fight, and PiT fails the most at this.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

(played the original pokemon mystery dungeons but apparently the new one's are dumbed down? Idk)

gates of infinity was dumb and bad but spmd is more in line with the rest of the series and probably the best one i've played, you should definitely try it if you liked the original

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Supercar Gautier posted:

I don't think the linear style of PiT was even the big problem. The issue is that everything had way too much HP, so every battle took way too long even if it was easy. RPGs should try not to make the player dread getting in a fight, and PiT fails the most at this.

Oh I also remember thinking the game poo poo on Luigi way too much, and I'm someone who loves him being cowardly and clumsy.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
I finally buckled and got a sensor bar and Wii remote for my Wii U so I could finally check out Fortune Street. Compared to other board games, it's better than Monopoly but not nearly as in depth as Culdcept. I dunno if I'm going to get much out of it but I can finally stop worrying I'm missing a hidden gem.

That said, what are some great Wii games that only require the use of a Wii remote, no nunchuk?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

cram me sideways posted:

I finally buckled and got a sensor bar and Wii remote for my Wii U so I could finally check out Fortune Street. Compared to other board games, it's better than Monopoly but not nearly as in depth as Culdcept. I dunno if I'm going to get much out of it but I can finally stop worrying I'm missing a hidden gem.

That said, what are some great Wii games that only require the use of a Wii remote, no nunchuk?

Just get yourself a drat Nunchuk, because most of the good ones need one.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Atlas Hugged posted:

They do a lot of paper stuff in Sticker Star.

Spellman posted:

True. But I don't think it was Intelligent System's fault entirely for Sticker Star being vanilla, Miyamoto told them that story isn't necessary for a Paper Mario game.

To be fair, the feedback they got from people who played Super Paper Mario was that only a tiny percentage of the people surveyed thought the story was interesting.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Brother Entropy posted:

gates of infinity was dumb and bad but spmd is more in line with the rest of the series and probably the best one i've played, you should definitely try it if you liked the original

Its been a while but I enjoyed playing Blue version ans explorers of time. Is the story interesting in the new game? How difficult is the game? How big can your team get and how many different pokemon can be recruited?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

To be fair, the feedback they got from people who played Super Paper Mario was that only a tiny percentage of the people surveyed thought the story was interesting.

:suicide:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, both SS and DT were responses to criticisms they got with regards to Super Paper Mario and BiS, but a lot of those would come from people who are pretty casual nintendo players so you got like "I didn't understand all these stats and things" which is what lead to the tutorial overload in DT.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

It's the same deal with Dream Team: Bowser's Inside Story brought in a ton of new people, many of whom were unfamiliar with RPGs and got tripped up on basic concepts/systems, so the message they took was "explain everything and don't just assume people know how to play just because it's a sequel".

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Yea I read that. I don't think they were interpreting the polls properly though with regards to what people wanted for the series. I think Super Paper Mario sent people into panic mode about what was wrong with it, and I know a lot of people were frustrated that the heavy story didn't gel with its style of gameplay.

Like they based that poll off of a hosed up game so of course they're going to get strange results from it. You rewrite that poll for TTYD and I'm sure story would get some love.

Spellman fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 25, 2016

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

they do exactly that in sticker star and i really don't like it. the other paper mario games mostly feel like they are just other adventures mario has but told through a neat art style, but sticker star makes it feel like its some whole other universe. they're really self-aware about everything being paper, it's super weird and i don't like it. idk maybe that's just me.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Spellman posted:

Yea I read that. I don't think they were interpreting the polls properly though with regards to what people wanted for the series. I think Super Paper Mario sent people into panic mode about what was wrong with it, and I know a lot of people were frustrated that the heavy story didn't gel with its style of gameplay.

Like they based that poll off of a hosed up game so of course they're going to get strange results from it. You rewrite that poll for TTYD and I'm sure story would get some love.

Super Paper Mario is a great game

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Austrian mook posted:

Super Paper Mario is a great game

:yeah:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Also, I'd advise people not to immediately post the Francis scenes from the game any time anyone brings the game up. They're best encountered if you're playing the game yourself, and while it's hardly the only funny scene in the game it's by far the best.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Amppelix posted:

Parents and children??? Did they play the same game as me? Because SS contains some grade-a sierra adventure game style bullshit of trying everything on everything and no hints at all where you really need them. I got stuck in the forest where I clearly needed to use some sort of sticker on a bowling alley looking place but literally none of mine did anything so I either missed one in an earlier level (and the game certainly wasn't telling me about that) or I needed to do something even more esoteric, and I really didn't feel like hunting aimlessly for missed stickers in the game so I stopped right there.

My wife is terrible at video games and she managed to play through the game no problem, so take that as you will.

SeANMcBAY posted:

It still blows my mind that people actually give a poo poo about the original characters. If anything, not having them should be a point in the game's favor because the original characters loving suck.

raditts fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 25, 2016

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
goons stumped by puzzle game for children

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

If the rumors about the handheld part of the NX coming out the end of this year and the console part coming out next year are true, are we going to count the NX as a 2016 or a 2017 release?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
2017 because it's not true

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The NX already came out, its a VR world that were all in righ now. We're going to die in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lemming posted:

The NX already came out, its a VR world that were all in righ now. We're going to die in here.

Naw, we're not going to die. The NX needs our minds for processing power.

• Locked thread