Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

muscles like this? posted:

What the what? Why would you do this ABC? I just looked at my cable guide and it says this week's Galavant is airing at 11pm.

It's scheduled for 8 here. Maybe your affiliate wants to steer clear of the NFC Championship?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They're showing some hockey thing which I guess is a local thing. gently caress hockey.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I'm halfway through Jessica Jones and I'm not really feeling it so far. There's a lot of good stuff here, but the dialogue is so weak and none of the actors (except Tennant) are really being given much to work with. I'm also losing a lot of patience with the plot; the whole Kilgrave storyline feels stretched as it is and I can't even imagine how they could extend it for six more episodes. Is there a good payoff for all of this or is it all downhill from here?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Not much of a payoff. I watched all the episodes and I don't remember anything about it. They definitely stretched it out, it would have been an awesome 4-part series. Daredevil too.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Yeah, the latter half just has everybody acting stupider in the name of keeping the show going and then the end is an wet fart that doesn't really resolve anything. And Tennant goes to poo poo too because they overexplain and overexpose his character so he loses all his menace even as he's supposed to be getting more powerful.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Sleeveless posted:

Yeah, the latter half just has everybody acting stupider in the name of keeping the show going and then the end is an wet fart that doesn't really resolve anything. And Tennant goes to poo poo too because they overexplain and overexpose his character so he loses all his menace even as he's supposed to be getting more powerful.
That's kind of the point though.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I heard good reviews about both Mozart in the Jungle and The Man in the High Castle. I watched the latter's pilot on amazon, but I have no time to watch either right now (though I'm putting one on hold for later). They both have the same exact review score. Which would you guys recommend?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

HorseRenoir posted:

I'm halfway through Jessica Jones and I'm not really feeling it so far. There's a lot of good stuff here, but the dialogue is so weak and none of the actors (except Tennant) are really being given much to work with. I'm also losing a lot of patience with the plot; the whole Kilgrave storyline feels stretched as it is and I can't even imagine how they could extend it for six more episodes. Is there a good payoff for all of this or is it all downhill from here?

"You let me be... inside you." is quality dialogue good sir. :colbert: also "bitches, right?"

But yes it is all downhill from there. The show really should've been 10 episodes or maybe even less. There is a lot of padding.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Sober posted:

That's kind of the point though.

Just because it's intentional doesn't make it not lovely. Same with the fight scenes, there are ways to make fights with inexperienced people exciting and interesting instead of just having the character break some prop furniture while having a temper tantrum.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Yeah I'm at episode 9 and I think I'm ready to call it quits with Jessica Jones. Now I'm even more confused at how it made #2 at the end of the TV/IV list.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

IRQ posted:

I like Occupation, he's a good dude. That said, you guys are engaging Occupation and that's really dumb. Like, remember Irish Joe? It's like that, only Occ is 100% genuine in his bad opinions.

The 100 owns.

Where for art thou?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Rocksicles posted:

Where for art thou?

He's still lurking.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Ravane posted:

I heard good reviews about both Mozart in the Jungle and The Man in the High Castle. I watched the latter's pilot on amazon, but I have no time to watch either right now (though I'm putting one on hold for later). They both have the same exact review score. Which would you guys recommend?

Mozart in the Jungle is, by far, the more entertaining, better-written and better-acted show.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The reviewers were right about the X-Files premiere, it's Chris Carter at his most Chris Carter-y and honestly could probably be skipped.

Also Duchovny forgot how to act like Mulder while on the flip side Anderson's portrayal of Scully continues to be monotone and still only has two facial expressions, skeptical and extremely skeptical. Which I guess is classic Scully but I was hoping they'd change it up just a little bit.

Hopefully the reviewers were also right about the MOTW episodes being decent.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

HorseRenoir posted:

Yeah I'm at episode 9 and I think I'm ready to call it quits with Jessica Jones. Now I'm even more confused at how it made #2 at the end of the TV/IV list.

because goons are populist shills who like to play at having taste

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

HorseRenoir posted:

two words: recency bias

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

HorseRenoir posted:

Are you new here? We have like 3 threads where some guy nobody likes with bad opinions reviews TV shows.

High class this ain't.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

HorseRenoir posted:

Because its themes and messages aren't going to land with everyone but when they do land they land hand.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Rarity posted:

Because its themes and messages aren't going to land with everyone but when they do land they land hand.

The themes and messages are great, it's the execution that's absolute dogshit.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nah it's fun. Better than most of the other MCU crap anyway.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

Are you new here? We have like 3 threads where some guy nobody likes with bad opinions reviews TV shows.

High class this ain't.

There's a what now?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

HorseRenoir posted:

And some people accept its flaws but look past them.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Rocksicles posted:

There's a what now?

I think he's talking about Toxx's dogshit who thread?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
This may finally be the year Couch Chat passive-aggressively collides into its own bullshit and existence ends.

We'll be better off.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I started The 100 and am up to like episode 8 now and it's... fine? It definitely improved VERY quickly, but I'm not quite getting the fervor for it. It's good, it's solid, but nothing I'd wanna rush out and recommend to people, it's the same level of something like a Nikita. Maybe it's just because I'm watching it alongside The Expanse which is so much more impressive in terms of direction and writing and casting by comparison, but it doesn't strike me as worth getting all that passionate about. Does it improve even more by season 2?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

HorseRenoir posted:

Some people look at shows less objectively than others. For some Jessica Jones is a fantastic show simply for being about what it's about. It can be mildly frustrating when people go on about them instead of shows with more love and thought put into them, sure, but it's a million miles away from being an actual issue

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hakkesshu posted:

I started The 100 and am up to like episode 8 now and it's... fine?

Just wait... if you're not eating your words by 02x01, you get your money back.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Escobarbarian posted:

Some people look at shows less objectively than others. For some Jessica Jones is a fantastic show simply for being about what it's about. It can be mildly frustrating when people go on about them instead of shows with more love and thought put into them, sure, but it's a million miles away from being an actual issue

I get where you're coming from, but this is super patronizing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MrAristocrates posted:

I get where you're coming from, but this is super patronizing.
He called people "populist shills," I think that's just his style.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean one of those posts is clearly more serious and more Actually My Opinion than the other

I know it's sorta patronising but honestly it's the only way I can make sense of it in my head. I'm extremely poor at seeing things from other points of view and it genuinely makes absolutely no sense to me that people prefer Marvel shows and whatever to something I would view as more artistically 'legitimate'. I'm not proud of that, and I'd love to be able to understand other points of view, but for now it is what it is, so I just try not to actively insult anyone for thinking differently.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

X-O posted:

Everyone should be warned that any show that comes from Freeform is really just ABC Family, which is a sign of it not being any good.
Speaking of which, they keep runnning ads for it on the WatchESPN stream for the Australian Open. It never once occurred to me to be an ad for a TV channel, much less ABC Family, and the name Freeform is clearly the result of some marketing exec who doesn't know jack poo poo doing focus groups about millenials and what not.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Freeform isn't meant for millenials. It's for Becomers. You clearly aren't a Becomer so you just don't get it.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Watching Pretty Little Liars made me understand why middle-aged+ people will always rail about The Youth Of Today earlier than I otherwise would have so....it's....got that going for it?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

lelandjs posted:

Also Duchovny forgot how to act like Mulder while on the flip side Anderson's portrayal of Scully continues to be monotone and still only has two facial expressions, skeptical and extremely skeptical. Which I guess is classic Scully but I was hoping they'd change it up just a little bit.

They both felt exactly like their characters to me, it was the rest of the show around them that was the problem. When Mulder and Jeff Winger kept monologuing to a montage of images it felt like I was watching one of those Dinesh D'Souza documentaries about how Obama is going to turn America into Nazi Germany.

Hakkesshu posted:

I started The 100 and am up to like episode 8 now and it's... fine? It definitely improved VERY quickly, but I'm not quite getting the fervor for it. It's good, it's solid, but nothing I'd wanna rush out and recommend to people, it's the same level of something like a Nikita. Maybe it's just because I'm watching it alongside The Expanse which is so much more impressive in terms of direction and writing and casting by comparison, but it doesn't strike me as worth getting all that passionate about. Does it improve even more by season 2?

It's still got its issues but season 2 is like a totally different show.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 25, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lucifer starts tonight on Fox. Man, it just looks like they've completely wasted an interesting premise.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Poor Josh Lyman got himself autobanned trying to make an OP for it.

He must have used the HOT tag.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lucifer starts tonight on Fox. Man, it just looks like they've completely wasted an interesting premise.

I wonder if it's the same pilot from last year. It's basically a Mentalist/Elementary type show with goofy main genius and straight-laced female cop.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I have a feeling it'll go the same way Minority Report and Almost Human went.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I wonder if it's the same pilot from last year. It's basically a Mentalist/Elementary type show with goofy main genius and straight-laced female cop.

Somebody needs to let networks know that supernatural/sci-fi character teaming up with straight-laced cops to solve crime is getting really old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The meta-joke about it on last week's Supernatural is probably the best thing that will come out of it.

• Locked thread