Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

The fatalities-per-vehicle stat is probably more useful when comparing countries with such wildly disparate levels of wealth. Bangladesh is comparable on a per-capita basis, but close to 80 times more dangerous when you factor in just how rare car ownership actually is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The interesting stat is fatalities per million miles driven, I think.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

the parking lots in the UAE must be very, very dangerous places

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Subjunctive posted:

Yes. Americans drive a gently caress ton more than other people, so they are just more exposed. Deaths per mile is much more useful as is compares exposure.
Can't die in a car if you're not in one.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

7of7 posted:

This reminds me of the failed mountain climbers in the everest thread or the wing suit idiots. These people are such horrible people that they care more about some record or their stupid hobby than their loved ones. They completely deserve their fate, if only it didn't affect their loved ones.
They're horirble people because they, what? They died doing something that was really meaningful to them? so what the hell is your goony computer posting problem?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

KoRMaK posted:

They're horirble people because they, what? They died doing something that was really meaningful to them?

The thing they died doing that was really meaningful to them is so incredibly dangerous that the corpses of other people who died trying it are immovable because people don't want to also die trying to retrieve their frozen bodies that have been laying there for dozens of years. Personal significance doesn't exempt you from being a dumbass.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

nm posted:

Yes. Americans drive a gently caress ton more than other people, so they are just more exposed. Deaths per mile is much more useful as is compares exposure.
Can't die in a car if you're not in one.

You can be hit by one however

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Improbable Lobster posted:

This would require americans to be walkinf or biking though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Prav posted:

the parking lots in the UAE must be very, very dangerous places

I can't imagine why you'd say such a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qukUmDfoDpc&t=20s

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Americans will never relinquish their concealed car permits

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Azhais posted:

Americans will never relinquish their concealed car permits

It's a integral part of American culture.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCU6LrW0B1s

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

KoRMaK posted:

They're horirble people because they, what? They died doing something that was really meaningful to them? so what the hell is your goony computer posting problem?

I'm sure surviving family members, including small children growing up without their father are comforted daily by the fact he "died doing what he loved"

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ChesterJT posted:

I'm sure surviving family members, including small children growing up without their father are comforted daily by the fact he "died doing what he loved"

unironically this

we will all be summoned some day

better this than the cancer

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

ChesterJT posted:

Last year no-one even got to climb it, that avalanche took out 18 people before they even started summiting.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

"Well goodness Timothy your father absolutely loved you, just rather than watch you grow up and provide you with a happy childhood, he's a frozen corpsicle on the side of this mountain. But he loved doing it so it's okay, and he can still provide you with some amazing memories. Here, if we zoom in enough with Google Earth you can see his bones! Wave hi to daddy!"

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

That's a lovely metric; because Bangladesh doesn't have a whole lot of people who own cars, the fact that it's got so many fatalities per 100,000 population means that its roads are way, *way* more dangerous than a country like the US, where everyone drives everywhere all the time. Bangladesh ranks 189th in motor vehicles per 1000 people, the US ranks 4th (and 1st among real countries, the only ones that rank higher than it are postage-stamp states like Monaco). In terms of fatalities per distance driven, the US is "up there" with countries like Belgium, Japan, Austria, etc.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Yup, despite the sheer number of vehicle deaths in the USA each year, the actual ratio based on population is the lowest it's been since the turn of the 20th century.

just look at this

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Yea except in the USA we don't even blink when somebody says they commute 45 minutes on the highway.

Obviously we're going to have more car deaths per capita, but the USA actually does a decent job with vehicle safety when you consider the ludicrous amount of roads in the country, and the amount of people that MUST drive them in their everyday life.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 25, 2016

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Tumble posted:

and the amount of people that MUST drive them in their everyday life.

This is actually a road safety failure.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I read that whole article and it just seems like hubris that killed the guy

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Prav posted:

This is actually a road safety failure.

Well I didn't mean to say we aren't a retarded country, just that it's kind of amazing we don't die way more often, all things considering.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

I can't imagine why you'd say such a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qukUmDfoDpc&t=20s

I see your video and raise you this one much more in the spirit of OSHA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQm5BnhTBEQ

Disgustingly, obscenely wealthy bored Saudi teenagers are an amazing sight.

edit: This isn't even the best one. They don't swap the front and back tires on this one. Others do.

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 25, 2016

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBi-y9gV0CA

moral of the story: kinetic energy sometimes squirts out in unpredictable ways

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's like when you're peeing in the toilet and then all the little ripples and waves superimpose and suddenly shoot one droplet at like mach 4 right up to the ceiling

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

SumYungGui posted:

I see your video and raise you this one much more in the spirit of OSHA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQm5BnhTBEQ

Disgustingly, obscenely wealthy bored Saudi teenagers are an amazing sight.

edit: This isn't even the best one. They don't swap the front and back tires on this one. Others do.

I've asked before but whats going on with the differential in that video? An open differential which is most common, will transfer power to the wheel with least traction. But, it obviously looks like that got around that by just putting it in neutral as you can tell they are going really slow near the end. Still, any differential I've had jacked up in the air, when you turn one tire, the other one will turn the opposite direction because of the spider gears, and that's not happening there. I'm not an expert on LSDs or lockers but I don't see how either one would allow the ground to make one tire spin with no movement from the other side.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Is it OSHA or whatever the household equivalent is that my thermostat makes a buzzing sound sometimes and causes my LCD TV to get a really dark super saturated picture and static lines across the screen?

Is my house trying to kill me? :ohdear:

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Improbable Lobster posted:

That reminds me that the other day I passed by a Nissan Leaf and was super pissed off that they get away with those bullshit headlights but no one makes flip up headlights anymore supposedly for "safety reasons".

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

FIRST TIME posted:

Is it OSHA or whatever the household equivalent is that my thermostat makes a buzzing sound sometimes and causes my LCD TV to get a really dark super saturated picture and static lines across the screen?

Getting a heater/AC unit to go from 0 to 60 takes a shitload of power, so it'll suck it away from everything else in the house.

Probably.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Tunicate posted:

Getting a heater/AC unit to go from 0 to 60 takes a shitload of power, so it'll suck it away from everything else in the house.

Probably.

I figured as much. I randomly halfheartedly Googled it a while back and saw some post where someone was sure that the house was going to burn down.

I found this incredibly lovely video about it. Holy crap this is hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e97D7F1lZWo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FIRST TIME posted:

That reminds me that the other day I passed by a Nissan Leaf and was super pissed off that they get away with those bullshit headlights but no one makes flip up headlights anymore supposedly for "safety reasons".

It's not like pop-ups are banned outright. You could still make them, but they'd probably end up looking like that, with a smooth rearwards-sloping curve to gently ease the jaywalking pedestrian into a relaxing prone position on your hood.

I think it would be hard to make genuine pop-ups work with that shape, but easy if you did the spinny ones like on an Opel GT.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I've asked before but whats going on with the differential in that video? An open differential which is most common, will transfer power to the wheel with least traction. But, it obviously looks like that got around that by just putting it in neutral as you can tell they are going really slow near the end. Still, any differential I've had jacked up in the air, when you turn one tire, the other one will turn the opposite direction because of the spider gears, and that's not happening there. I'm not an expert on LSDs or lockers but I don't see how either one would allow the ground to make one tire spin with no movement from the other side.

A differential transfers power (torque actually) equally to both wheels, all the time, while allowing them to spin at different speeds. And you can't have any significant torque without something to push back, ie the ground. So when one wheel loses traction, it takes only a small amount of power to get the wheel spinning and redline the engine, and you can never send enough to turn the wheel with traction. This horrible on your differential, by the way, they're not meant to spin that fast, they just let the car corner without tearing itself apart. It's even worse if the spinning wheel grabs suddenly, they're also not made to be shock loaded.

Anyway, I think if they left the car in gear then the rotation of the transmission should match the rotation of the wheel on the ground, and the wheel in the air wouldn't necessarily be turning. The normal drag in the power train should hold it still while everything else rotates. If the driver gave it any gas it would be exactly like an icy road and the wheel in the air would spin right the hell up, with hilarious (for us) results wrt the guys changing the tires.

An LSD or locking diff would just cause the wheel in the air to spin at the same speed as the one on the ground and make it impossible to ever get it off. You'd be able to give it gas and accelerate the car, though, and drive around like "normal."

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Ah, that makes sense. So if it were in neutral, then the wheel in the air would be spinning backwards, like when you have one jacked up in the air in neutral, and spin the other side with your hand? But being in gear, with no throttle, the friction or drag in the drive train lets it remain still?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Chances are he's holding the brake slightly. That will keep the wheels in the air from turning (with open diffs), and also allow a non-zero amount of power to go to the wheels on the ground. The downside is the brakes are dragging and will get a little hot.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FIRST TIME posted:

Don't listen to that other guy, it sounds to me like you've got ghosts. Ghosts are known to mess with the EMP fields, which causes both the buzzing sound and the TV shenanigans. Whatever you do, do not crouch in front of the TV with your hands on the screen, that's just asking to get sucked into the ghost dimension.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

jamal posted:

Chances are he's holding the brake slightly. That will keep the wheels in the air from turning (with open diffs), and also allow a non-zero amount of power to go to the wheels on the ground. The downside is the brakes are dragging and will get a little hot.

I guess he would have to be or the wheels would just spin when they tried to take the lug nuts off.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

FIRST TIME posted:

Not at all. Pop-up headlamps were so predominant because US regulations dictated that headlamps must be rectangular sealed-beam. So you either built a boxy front end to accommodate them, or you put in retractable ones. Once those stupid regulations were removed, auto designers could use things other than rectangular sealed-beam headlamps and the pop-ups went away, because they could design headlamps that fit whatever body design they wanted.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Phanatic posted:

Not at all. Pop-up headlamps were so predominant because US regulations dictated that headlamps must be rectangular sealed-beam. So you either built a boxy front end to accommodate them, or you put in retractable ones. Once those stupid regulations were removed, auto designers could use things other than rectangular sealed-beam headlamps and the pop-ups went away, because they could design headlamps that fit whatever body design they wanted.

God I remember having to replace the entire headlamp when one burned out. Though I'm not sure the latest method is much better. I seem to remember a friend telling me they had to remove the front bumper to access the receptacle for the bulb, but they cold have very well been bullshitting me. I can't recall the last time I needed to replace one on any of my recent vehicles.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

VectorSigma posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBi-y9gV0CA

moral of the story: kinetic energy sometimes squirts out in unpredictable ways

jfc there's a reason you're supposed to zone off demolition areas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

flosofl posted:

had to remove the front bumper to access the receptacle for the bulb

It's not BS. You also need two different sizes of ratchet (with an extender!) and a screwdriver.

• Locked thread