Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Gabriel Pope posted:

It's very, very worth it. High level dungeons are difficult enough (and rewarding enough) that you might not chance it then, but it's a great option for higher risk/reward in low level dungeons.

The biggest risk is that if you have no light whatsoever, you may randomly encounter a very devastatingly powerful miniboss when you trigger hallway encounters. Playing with very low torch is relatively safe though.

Cool, thanks for this! I figured i was just starting out so the extra risk was acceptable, but couldn't really quantify the extra (gold?) gains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol @ "grinding" you can equate almost every roguelike's treadmill of doing runs over and over to get stuff to unlock for later as grinding. you can say even getting blood echoes in bloodborne is "grinding" or doing poo poo over and over in Destiny or Monster Hunter as "grinding." At some point it just becomes a meaningless word that really means "I dont want to play this game's mechanics a lot."

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

The best part is that curio loot is calculated based on light level, so if you bring enough food to prevent hunger and map out and complete a dungeon before opening any crates or doing loot grabs, you can extinguish your torch and backtrack to pick up your choice of loot. Just be aware you may trigger extra battles and traps respawning in hallways, and you'll probably have to pick and choose what loot to take home.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its not worth it if on longer missions if you're collecting heirlooms because you'll run out of room for them very quickly.

VVV If you have a restraining padlock his stress is a nonissue for your party. Without it, it might cause issues over longer missions but should be fine for short ones.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 25, 2016

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is it worth taking Abominations without Jester support?

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
My take is that it's totally viable, especially if you reserve the use of beast mode for more difficult fights. He's pretty OK even as a puny chain-swinger in human form, too. His biggest downside is the whole 'religious characters' thing in my opinion, since vestals are good and crusaders are awesome. Mind you, I haven't leveled mine past level 2, so I don't have a huge experience with how he scales, but stacking damage on even lowbie aboms leads to ridiculous damage. His high-level trinket that lowers the stress damage probably helps quite a bit if you want to transform him more, too.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

toasterwarrior posted:

man with dog has a stress heal too

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

toasterwarrior posted:

yea, if you use their human form more.

or have a houndmaster to stress heal the party.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

We should probably put this in the OP.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

toasterwarrior posted:

Jesters are trash and should never be brought outside of gimmicky double abomination lineups. Single abom with class unique trinkets doesn't need anything. As others mentioned, if doing a double camp run, bring the doggie along to stress heal.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees

toasterwarrior posted:

Short answer, yes.

Long answer, you're better off bringing someone that can make fights shorter so there's less turns your Abom accrues stress. There's little you can do to diminish stress on your other party members save for bringing a lot of food for camp feasts or keeping your Abom human as a support character.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Ancestor posted:

Slowly... gently... this is how a life is taken.

:gonk: The creepiest line in the loving game, my skin crawls every time.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

gently caress

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ouch, man. That sucks.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfqhXVN5jaU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I wanna know that the madman says to my party that makes them freak out so much.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Rascyc posted:

A full team wipe in this game outside of the DD is just stupidity or a really bad luck shambler fight.
Can you not run from them or do they just murder you 2fast?

e:VVVV at least there's an achievement for it :v:

shs
Feb 14, 2012

little pig :negative:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Internet Kraken posted:

I wanna know that the madman says to my party that makes them freak out so much.

"I'm the guy he dismissed last week."

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
truly man with dog is the gift that keeps on giving

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

stop hurting my dogs please game

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Night10194 posted:

"I'm the guy he dismissed last week."

lmao

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees

Rascyc posted:

gently caress

shs posted:

little pig :negative:

:vince:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i remember when that poo poo stunlocked teams to death

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

FreeKillB posted:

Can you not run from them or do they just murder you 2fast?

e:VVVV at least there's an achievement for it :v:
You can't retreat from the shambler when you go into the void zone.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i bet i could find my way back from there

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Rascyc posted:

You can't retreat from the shambler when you go into the void zone.

i retreated from it, after using the torch on shrine deal? or are you talking about something else.

only thing ive seen you can't retreat from are camp ambushes, which im going to be salty about until the death of our star at the very least

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I could've sworn I successfully retreated from a shambler one time after that change was put in. You definitely can't retreat for a round or two, because all surprise attacks do that now, but I think it eventually unlocks the retreat option?

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I saw a post on the steam forums that said that you can actually retreat from camp ambushes, just not on the first turn or two. Confirm/Deny?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

FreeKillB posted:

I saw a post on the steam forums that said that you can actually retreat from camp ambushes, just not on the first turn or two. Confirm/Deny?

tentative deny, but i may not have noticed. I tried retreating on the second round after things had started to poo poo the bed, it could have opened up the option later.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i retreated from it, after using the torch on shrine deal? or are you talking about something else.

only thing ive seen you can't retreat from are camp ambushes, which im going to be salty about until the death of our star at the very least

Are camp ambushes affected by where the room is in the dungeon or is it just random? I've never had an ambush in a room where there's just one door, but always in a room with multiple doors, but that could just be coincidence

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bogart posted:

We should probably put this in the OP.

And every pager after.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I feel good about my current estate so far. Breezed through bosses with no insane duders. Even accidentally used some teams that had a composition name. Said names were The Exorcists and Stun Smash Parade. Now I just gotta get deeds so my guys get actually better poo poo for their level why the gently caress are deeds low even in the weald

But yeah what the gently caress is up with the flesh boss :stonk:

Afraid of Audio posted:

stop hurting my dogs please game

This but with *insert hard-as-gently caress mob*

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Are camp ambushes affected by where the room is in the dungeon or is it just random? I've never had an ambush in a room where there's just one door, but always in a room with multiple doors, but that could just be coincidence

yeah maybe.

I really, really hate trying to guess at game mechanics, though. this game is pretty nice about a lot of things (showing hit chances, enemy types, known enemy moves, etc) but there's a few gotcha mechanics which as i mentioned, im a real wet blanket about.

i still have angry flashbacks about ultimate general: gettysburg.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i do want to emphasise that i actually really enjoy this game

but people get real smug about defending questionable mechanics. its like the dark souls of video games.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
'Suffer as I did!' basically.

And 'The tone of the game!'.

And that weird 'Get Good/Learn to play!' thing. 'I made it, so should you!'. A lot of people feel their way is the only way. They made it, and they've put themselves on a pedestal for dealing with it and wresting enjoyment from the thing, from which they look down on anyone who's in the muck.

I don't have the position to say 'this is as it should be' or 'this should not be'.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 25, 2016

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
If your abomination gets afflicted/virtuous while he's Goat Man the graphic is of him as a human, I wonder if that's a bug or if they were just too lazy to draw a separate pic of him cowering.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

packetmantis posted:

If your abomination gets afflicted/virtuous while he's Goat Man the graphic is of him as a human, I wonder if that's a bug or if they were just too lazy to draw a separate pic of him cowering.

The virtuous graphic I got of him when he was a goat was of his goat form.

a powerful goat man

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Bug. I saw a recent video which had him get Virtuous as a beast, and the picture was still a beast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6Qc0kGJvlI

Of course, this one also shows that Transformed abomination has no walking sprites. Which is fair enough, under the circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Tiler Kiwi posted:

The virtuous graphic I got of him when he was a goat was of his goat form.

a powerful goat man

"GNRANGGHARGGAAH!"

"drat... the goat-freak is so inspiring right now..."