Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Applebee123 posted:

You should join a dried lake xp group, 63 is still in 15-20 mins running around dried lake per level territory. If your build takes hours to grind 10% of an xp bar at 63 it must be extremely bad.

Im willing to accept that it is in fact me that is really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

Kea posted:

No amount of being bad explains why it takes hours and hours of grinding to get some amount of exp at level 63.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Kea posted:

I mean...are you playing Merciless? How long does it take to you kill blue/yellow mob packs? You are in Dried Lake, right? I don't understand how you're getting exp so slowly. :psyduck:

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Yeah I totally just realised that Im only in act 3 of merciless and I should never listen to my friends level farming advice.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
I'm still confused. Docks is still in 100% exp range at 63 and in no way should be difficult either.

J
Jun 10, 2001

It's a tornado shot build, chances are the problem is just a really lovely bow.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

J posted:

It's a tornado shot build, chances are the problem is just a really lovely bow.

I think the issue is a lot of my gear is really really poor (resistances below 20-30% mostly). If i can hit 66 I can grab a half decent lioneye glare for not too much which should be significantly better.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Kea posted:

(resistances below 20-30% mostly)

:catstare:

You should be at 75% in all resistances if you're at the point where you're farming Dried Lake. How much life do you have?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

If you are looking at getting a Lioneye's Glare be aware that the never miss part of its effect applies to reflected damage, so all physical reflect will become very dangerous if you are pure evasion and no armor.

Also are you using reasonable support gems for your Tornado Shot? You should be using Greater Multiple Projectiles - Physical Proj Attack Damage - Tornado Shot at a minimum, with various good possibilities for a 4th link.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

vOv posted:

:catstare:

You should be at 75% in all resistances if you're at the point where you're farming Dried Lake. How much life do you have?

Depends on how fast your killing :colbert: I was doing merciless a3/4 with the voltaxic build and all my resists were negative 30

Longbike
Sep 7, 2011
Jesus, -30 resistances in merciless must be an entirely different game. I can't think of a single character I've played that hasn't had close to capped elemental resists by the end of act 3.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Where are you getting all that resistance FROM, anyway? People say 'cap your resistance' as though it's something easy, but don't bother to say how, and nothing seems to have 'enough' even in combination.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jan 24, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Been awhile since I played, but Masters are really great at filling any resistance gaps, besides that you just try to find 2-3 resists on your armor like chest and boots and swap around rings until your resists are just right.

cytoc
Apr 3, 2009

Bloodly posted:

Where are you getting all that resistance FROM, anyway? People say 'cap your resistance' as though it's something easy, but don't bother to say how, and nothing seems to have 'enough' even in combination.

Once I get to act 2 merciless I grab every 28+ resistance ring or 14+ dual resistance ring that drops and alch them. You don't need any resistance to run the Fellshrine Ruins and you'll usually end up with some rings worthwhile using. You can use the crap rings on chaos recipes. I save all of the alch orbs I get while levelling to do this, I don't ever feel the need to alch anything before this stage.

Equally Haku and Elreon are great for filling holes in your resistances.

When levelling, I'll usually get a four link on my gloves or helmet and transmute / alteration orb it to get some life / resistance to run my skill on, every other slot is changeable as needed, prioritising life and resistances.

At the start of a league I often run a scion and grab the resistance nodes straight below that start point and then respec out of them when my gear is properly in order.

cytoc fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 24, 2016

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Bloodly posted:

You only need 135% total resist to cap that element in Merciless. Gear can have all 3 elements up to like 45% so you'd essentially only need 3 pieces to hit the cap. Of course not everyone has perfect gear but with 5 armor slots possibly a shield and 3 jewellry slots you have plenty of room. And even then you can supplement on the tree if need be.

So just using a bunch of rare gear you have to be trying really hard to not reach that point. The issue is a lot of unique gear has little to none to even negative resists. And a lot of newer players just stack Uniques. But if you're having a real tough time getting resists Goldrim is always a cheap option.

Kild fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 24, 2016

Korwin
Jan 24, 2011
Got an unique low level ring who turns my cold damage into fire damage.
Can I use this feature for something? Or do I need to replace him as soon as I get better resistance gear (using him at the moment, because the stats are nice at low level...)

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Korwin posted:

Can I use this feature for something? Or do I need to replace him as soon as I get better resistance gear (using him at the moment, because the stats are nice at low level...)

Convert the fire damage into chaos. :getin:
Maybe a build that uses ice spear to ignite enemies?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Spent awhile setting up procurement and all the related things and made a sale today!! Feels good. But man what an arcane way to trade.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Resistances: two-stone rings help a lot.

Slap crafted resistances onto everything if need be. Crafting is a godsend for the poorly-equipped.

More than a couple of weeks into the start of a league, you should just trade for a Goldrim and call it a day. It's going to be way better than anything else you have, for a long while at least.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

So I haven't played in months, or seen Act 4. They reset all skill points and gently caress if I can remember how to play my dude or use a build now.

I have a Duelist in the 40s, a moderate selection of gems, and a small bit of currency for trades.

What's a build that has a) nice mobility for zipping around and b) snazzy graphics for slaying everything on screen? I'd like to skip basic 'swing fast!' attacks if I can, that's what I was doing with sword & shield before iirc.

Disco Bandit
Nov 15, 2004

All I want for christmas is a winning season
Can I get a guild invite on DenWicklefisch, assuming I didn't miss the boat?

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Korwin posted:

Pyre is a great ring. I've run a few Ice Nova Iron Will builds that wear that ring. And at low levels it gives a ton of resistance and is well worth wearing.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

victrix posted:

So I haven't played in months, or seen Act 4. They reset all skill points and gently caress if I can remember how to play my dude or use a build now.

I have a Duelist in the 40s, a moderate selection of gems, and a small bit of currency for trades.

What's a build that has a) nice mobility for zipping around and b) snazzy graphics for slaying everything on screen? I'd like to skip basic 'swing fast!' attacks if I can, that's what I was doing with sword & shield before iirc.

budget fakener

main requirement is a 5L Voll's Protector

ronya fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 24, 2016

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ronya posted:

budget fakener

I'm finding lots of Shadow links, is there a Duelist version of that build?

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I'd like to add that if you're at the start of a league you should pick up all blue rings, amulets and belts while leveling, especially in the earlier difficulties, until you have good resists. A blue two-stone ring with an additional resist mod is way better than the vast majority of rares you'll find. Also don't be afraid to keep a ring with a high single elemental resist for boss fights or certain areas, like lightning resist for Dominus, fire for Kaom, etc. If your build allows a shield it's incredibly easy to cap resists.

Capping resists while leveling is not vital but it makes everything a lot easier. As you play the game more you'll know when you need what resist and can even handle boss fights with poor resists if you know what you're doing. For example, resists are not that important in Dried Lake because most damage there is physical, which is one of the reasons why it's a popular leveling zone. So if you're at like ~50% resists or something you could opt to level up until you're ready to take on maps before you fix your resists.

Longbike
Sep 7, 2011

Bloodly posted:

Easiest way I've found to cap resistances and buff general survivability prior to act 3 merciless: Save every alchemy orb you find while leveling. Do whatever it takes to get past Brutus (stack life) and Merveil (stack cold resist), then beeline straight to the Fellshrine ruins. Run it for several levels, picking up every decently rolled two stone (anything better than a 14 to each resistance) ring that drops, along with everything else of worth that drops. Loot filters are your friend here.

Alch every two stone you pick up, and combine the crappy ones into prismatic rings (vendor one of each type together). If its still crappy, then it goes into the chaos recipe.
By the time you've ground out a few levels, you should have found a few upgrades and will have several chaos from vendoring sets that you can use to purchase anything else you need to fill out with resistances or life. At that point you should be set for resistances and can just upgrade as and when you get good drops or save up enough to trade for nice things.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Do tons of damage and don't get hit is also viable (sorta).

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

victrix posted:

cyclone with at least one movement speed cluster (go towards Ranger), it's reliable and you can use rustic stash recipe weapons until maps

but, and I think this might be jaded, level 40 isnt really a "build", you gotta reach 60 at least

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Also, trading via poe.trade is useful for capping resists; you can usually find a good ring for a chaos or so.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

ItsYoji did a good video about shopping for gear to cap resists using poe.trade recently. It's about how he gears a character fully for every slot with a budget of 30c total, but he has a lot of good advice in there too if you just need to finish up a character for Merciless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nPysySQ9YM

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Longbike posted:

Jesus, -30 resistances in merciless must be an entirely different game. I can't think of a single character I've played that hasn't had close to capped elemental resists by the end of act 3.

Wasn't any different. I was just killing way faster

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

ronya posted:

budget fakener

This this this, build is so strong for how little it needs.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

Longbike posted:

Easiest way I've found to cap resistances and buff general survivability prior to act 3 merciless: Save every alchemy orb you find while leveling. Do whatever it takes to get past Brutus (stack life) and Merveil (stack cold resist), then beeline straight to the Fellshrine ruins. Run it for several levels, picking up every decently rolled two stone (anything better than a 14 to each resistance) ring that drops, along with everything else of worth that drops. Loot filters are your friend here.

Alch every two stone you pick up, and combine the crappy ones into prismatic rings (vendor one of each type together). If its still crappy, then it goes into the chaos recipe.
By the time you've ground out a few levels, you should have found a few upgrades and will have several chaos from vendoring sets that you can use to purchase anything else you need to fill out with resistances or life. At that point you should be set for resistances and can just upgrade as and when you get good drops or save up enough to trade for nice things.

Your mileage may vary, but I'm going to totally disagree with this.

Instead, take those alchs you have that you would be using on alching two-stone rings. Let's say you have around 10 (low estimate). Trade them to someone for chaos orbs. There's a currency trader on poe.trade, or you can just find someone who needs them in guild chat or something. It's not hard, I've bought and sold alchs a bunch this season. So now you have say, 5 chaos orbs.

With just a few chaos, it's easy to go on poe.trade to buy two great rings and a great belt or amulet or body armor or whatever that will have a ton of resists. You might use a search that looks like this one: http://poe.trade/search/akoboyamimigot Heck, as of this current search, there is an online guy with a ring that has >100 total resistance, life, and even a small weapon ele damage up for an alch. Alching one white ring is not going to get you results like that. There's also a ring up for 1c that has 107 resists, 54 life, and still has room for a good crafted affix. You can find similar gear in other slots for bargain-basement prices -- after a week or so of a season, you can get medium-good rare gear for almost nothing, since everyone is looking for the big T1 life rolls and big offensive stats, % rarity on top of other good rolls, etc. Something as simple as tri-res and life doesn't cost much at all.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Rashomon posted:

Instead, take those alchs you have that you would be using on alching two-stone rings. Let's say you have around 10 (low estimate). Trade them to someone for chaos orbs. There's a currency trader on poe.trade, or you can just find someone who needs them in guild chat or something. It's not hard, I've bought and sold alchs a bunch this season. So now you have say, 5 chaos orbs.

With just a few chaos, it's easy to go on poe.trade to buy two great rings and a great belt or amulet or body armor or whatever that will have a ton of resists. You might use a search that looks like this one: http://poe.trade/search/akoboyamimigot Heck, as of this current search, there is an online guy with a ring that has >100 total resistance, life, and even a small weapon ele damage up for an alch. Alching one white ring is not going to get you results like that. There's also a ring up for 1c that has 107 resists, 54 life, and still has room for a good crafted affix. You can find similar gear in other slots for bargain-basement prices -- after a week or so of a season, you can get medium-good rare gear for almost nothing, since everyone is looking for the big T1 life rolls and big offensive stats, % rarity on top of other good rolls, etc. Something as simple as tri-res and life doesn't cost much at all.

This is the correct way to gear yourself on a budget, though it's worth considering that these values change over the course of a league. Alching random jewelry is useful early in a league (like first week) because the market is yet to be saturated by good cheap items. Now, just buy. It's probably still worth alching good 75+ bases like diamond rings.

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.
Am I missing something in the race calendar, or are all the races in the upcoming season short (around one hour and shorter)?

It is entirely possible that I am misreading, this will be the first time I take part in racing so I'm not too familiar with the formats.

Longbike
Sep 7, 2011

Rashomon posted:

Yeah, I should probably have specified that this advice is aimed squarely at the first hours and days of a new league when there isn't nearly as much on the market.

I only play leagues, and only really have to do what I described on my first character in that league- by character two I usually have a stash of decent gear and the market is much better.

I still do like alching and combining rings though. It might be strictly less efficient than just using the currency to trade for upgrades but its more fun and does eventually turn into chaos via the recipe.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

RossCo posted:

Am I missing something in the race calendar, or are all the races in the upcoming season short (around one hour and shorter)?

It is entirely possible that I am misreading, this will be the first time I take part in racing so I'm not too familiar with the formats.

They're mostly around an hour, yeah.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Always a disappointment:

Unique gavel drops
Unique simple robe drops

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Trading is for losers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU