Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I love the implication that Superman could be doing super-surgery of great import all the time but he only bothers if someone has the gall to not believe in him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

I love the implication that Superman could be doing super-surgery of great import all the time but he only bothers if someone has the gall to not believe in him.

It feels like something from the backstory of Irredeemable.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

When you're trying to shake a Christ figure reputation, you start to have ideas like "I should only grant blessings to my unbelievers".

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Then you just get declared the God of Atheists and you have the same problem, but it's even harder to prove you're not a god to people who already think you're not a god. How do you go to Point B from Point B?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

Then you just get declared the God of Atheists and you have the same problem, but it's even harder to prove you're not a god to people who already think you're not a god. How do you go to Point B from Point B?

Oh hey you're back.

Behave this time.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Squizzle posted:

The Girl Who Didn't Believe in Superman, originally from 1955's Superman #96. You probably read it in reprint in Superman #242, from 1971. That issue also had the unaccountably famous fight between Superman and Also Superman Except He'd Made of Sand.

:fishmech:

Didn't SuperSandman show up in the recent Superman stuff? Huh. I thought that was something they'd just kinda... made up.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Squizzle posted:

First GIS result for Hal Jordan Emerald Twilight, friend:

Hey thanks for the information on the comic guys. I'm going to try and track it down to purchase. I just remember reading it as a toddler in Lenore's Book Exchange in the early 80s.

Does anyone knwo if that above image was made into a poster?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

KaosMachina posted:

Didn't SuperSandman show up in the recent Superman stuff? Huh. I thought that was something they'd just kinda... made up.

A lot of bizarre stuff has it's origins from writers bringing back past stuff. Not One Face though, there's...there's no excuse for One Face.

Rhyno posted:

Oh hey you're back.

Behave this time.

I'm a good girl, Rhyno! :)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hollismason posted:

Not to my knowledge. Find the highest rez version of it and any print shop will be glad to make a 24"x36" version for you.

WickedHate posted:

I'm a good girl, Rhyno! :)

LIES.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Hey thanks for the information on the comic guys. I'm going to try and track it down to purchase. I just remember reading it as a toddler in Lenore's Book Exchange in the early 80s.

It came out around 1993 or '94.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

ayy DrProsek yo

DrProsek posted:

:colbert: Great, now I need to add another book to my January backreading list to know if I should fight you on this or not. I hope you're happy.

Are we fighting?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Squizzle posted:

ayy DrProsek yo

Are we fighting?

:v: oh yeah, now I remember why I binged through Livewires. Going off the cover to #1 I was pretty sure we'd be fighting but having read it, yeah it was pretty fun. Comparing them to the Imperfects, they've definitely got a better reason for existing (i.e. the only character in the Imperfects that really adds something new to the Marvel world is... I guess Brigade, due to Marvel's lack of a Frankenstein's Monster?) and have way more story hooks. My only complaint would be that while the artwork wasn't really my thing, I also can't imagine any other artstyle working for the book so unless Marvel is still up for putting out anime-as-gently caress looking books, a change in the art style might drag it down even if they changed to a style I like more.

I'd totally love to see a Livewires book, cameos from them in other stuff, or hell have them show up as the villains for the various Weapon Plus characters (Hell, All-New Wolverine is one product of a sketchy quasi-governmental weapon research program hanging out with other products of sketchy more corporate weapon research programs), and I'd have to admit there's more potential for a Livewires book than an Imperfects one.

So no, we're not sadly :colbert:.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

KaosMachina posted:

One of these days I'm gonna work out that Boy King reboot pitch I keep poking at half-heartedly
"Boy is exiled from his kingdom, raised in America, and discovers he has a pet giant" is an inherently fun concept that can be spun so many different ways.
e: holy crap, the same comic had both Boy King AND Nightmare and Sleepy? Jeez. Why are the 40's such a treasure trove of comics?

Yeah! It was almost as if that era was some kind of ... age ... made of, like, a precious metal

I think a surprising number of people have a Boy King revamp in their back pocket. I know I have one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DrProsek posted:

:v: oh yeah, now I remember why I binged through Livewires. Going off the cover to #1 I was pretty sure we'd be fighting but having read it, yeah it was pretty fun. Comparing them to the Imperfects, they've definitely got a better reason for existing (i.e. the only character in the Imperfects that really adds something new to the Marvel world is... I guess Brigade, due to Marvel's lack of a Frankenstein's Monster?) and have way more story hooks. My only complaint would be that while the artwork wasn't really my thing, I also can't imagine any other artstyle working for the book so unless Marvel is still up for putting out anime-as-gently caress looking books, a change in the art style might drag it down even if they changed to a style I like more.

I'd totally love to see a Livewires book, cameos from them in other stuff, or hell have them show up as the villains for the various Weapon Plus characters (Hell, All-New Wolverine is one product of a sketchy quasi-governmental weapon research program hanging out with other products of sketchy more corporate weapon research programs), and I'd have to admit there's more potential for a Livewires book than an Imperfects one.

The weird thing is I think Warren only wrote Livewires, (and maybe did covers?) but the interior art still looks a LOT like his work. Hell, the lead character is basically a prototype Empowered.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

A friend I haven't seen for a year contacted me and turns out he's homeless, addicted to meth, and HIV positive now. He was the smartest, nicest dude in the world.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Aw dude, I'm so sorry. That's horrible. Are you feeling okay?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Just a bit discouraged.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm really, really sorry. I'd say we could talk in private if I had PMs, but I hope something can cheer you up!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Now would be a great time for DC to go under or something.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
There infinite worlds in the multiverse, and that means somewhere out there is a world where DC sold out to Marvel in the 80s. Take solace in that.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I read the Gwenpool Holiday Special, and hoo boy. This guy is the worst at drawing She-Hulk's face

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Better than the last She-Hulk series. :can:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Now would be a great time for DC to go under or something.

Hey look just because some snow completely paralyzes us doesn't mean-

Oh wait the other DC.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Endless Mike posted:

Hey look just because some snow completely paralyzes us doesn't mean-

Oh wait the other DC.

Actually, if anything it's gonna gently caress up Marvel, since DC moved to LA and Marvel is still in NYC.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

DrProsek posted:

aaaauuuugh I had a lengthy post written, both heartwarming and informative, but some species of gremlin devoured it.

Here is an Adam Warren layout page I found on the Google, which helps explain why the penciller's work looks so much like Warren's:

Here is a character design page that was on the Related Images from that search:

And here is the weather this weekend:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

jfc Lurdiak I don't even

:glomp:

Let us know if there's anything internet people can do for this person.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

boom boom boom posted:

I read the Gwenpool Holiday Special, and hoo boy. This guy is the worst at drawing She-Hulk's face

See, that could be a good face, but not for Jen. It reminds me more of like, time traveled adult Kamala Khan, if anything.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I think its just a bad face. The black lady's face looks bad too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

A friend I haven't seen for a year contacted me and turns out he's homeless, addicted to meth, and HIV positive now. He was the smartest, nicest dude in the world.

God drat dude.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Squizzle posted:

jfc Lurdiak I don't even

:glomp:

Let us know if there's anything internet people can do for this person.

Well, if anyone's willing to buy them a target e-gift card so they can buy hygiene products and food, PM me. I'd do it myself but I have no money in paypal or credit card at my disposal right now. Obviously I'd reimburse anyone who helped me out with this asap.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i heard they had a new lobo kill the old lobo and take over as lobo. i thought he was the main man? wtf, dc?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Someone made a post about how Lyn-Z would be a great Scarlet Witch and it works shockingly well despite my insistence she should be visibly Romanian. I guess what I mean is, Lyn-Z wouldn't make a good Scarlet Witch but she'd make a good Scarlet Witch as people have drawn the character her entire history up till the new ongoing. Kitty is totally the best Dazzler though and Jimmy is hella Deadpool in personality if not looks. (needs a voice acting gig)

I'm also biased though because I became a hardcore fan of MSI over the past week and Lyn-Z in particular is my number one crush right now.

On another comics related note, this video was directed by Jhonen Vasques.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 25, 2016

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I think those roles should be played by good actors. Even if the actors don't look very much like their depictions in comics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

boom boom boom posted:

I think those roles should be played by good actors. Even if the actors don't look very much like their depictions in comics.

Look at this guy with the lovely opinion. Everyone knows the X-Men films would have been better if Glen Danzig had played Wolverine.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hugh Jackman's tall, handsome, leading man Australian mug wrecked the character ever since. Tyler Mane was a great Sabertooth too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've also boycotted all Marvel films ever since they didn't cast Triple H as Thor.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Ugh, comic book casting chat just reminded me that Benedict Cumberbatch is Dr. Strange.

ugh.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

i heard they had a new lobo kill the old lobo and take over as lobo. i thought he was the main man? wtf, dc?

I'm not sure if it ever actually happened, outside of new lobo fantasizing about it? I dunno

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I like how people have to talk about the nu52 Lobo situation purely based on rumors, because nobody actually read those comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Real hurthling! posted:

It happened. In fact that is how the series started.

However, after the series tanked in sales they have started to turn NuLobo into Old Lobo. NuLobo is now starting to look pretty savage instead of the perfectly shaven guy from the past few years.

boom boom boom posted:

I like how people have to talk about the nu52 Lobo situation purely based on rumors, because nobody actually read those comics.

I read them. Is a pretty entertaining story, although it was utter bullshit how Bunn had NuLobo butchering almost all the Lantern Corps a few months back.

• Locked thread