Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
A cursory Google search brought me to 'FoxNow" on the Fox website. It currently only has some 20min teaser thing on it; are they going to put up these episodes as they go? They've got a ton of other shows on there, so I'm assuming so, but I don't know if it's going to happen tomorrow or in a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Slate Action posted:

It was always a hallmark of Chris Carter episodes that he would try to combine like three episodes of ideas into one episode, and it's amusing to see that he hasn't gotten even slightly better at avoiding that.

Yeah this felt way overstuffed. I heard that Carter had apparently written the third movie out to some degree and it felt like he dumped a good deal of that into here along with a bunch of new stuff that would get the series kickstarted again which would explain the slightly insane pace.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

PBS Newshour posted:

The finale is titled My Struggle 2 and Joel McHale's character comes back for it.

Uhh... hopefully they figured out how to handle it by than?

Hitler was an alien

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

MisterBibs posted:

A cursory Google search brought me to 'FoxNow" on the Fox website. It currently only has some 20min teaser thing on it; are they going to put up these episodes as they go?

Each episode should show up on FoxNow the day after it airs.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The crashed UFO was made out of cement. :P

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
George W Bush was an alien hybrid and that's why he read that book upside down.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Its important to remember that there is no reason to believe that the entirety of what O'Malley said (and Mulder drank his flavor-aid HARD) is correct. Smoke and mirrors everywhere. They're on to something, but we don't quite know what.

The big clue is the old dude telling Mulder that he's incorrect. He straight up tells him he isn't there yet.

It was a clunky Carter episode, but you can't start an engine that's been sitting that long without some trouble. I had a good time.

nopants
May 29, 2004

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I do get a vaguely Indy 4 vibe from this, for plenty of reasons (I want to give it more than 1 episode before throwing that accusation out there full-force though).

Also why is she always so bloody after surgery? It's like on her neck all the time. Is she accidentally nicking arteries?

What she's really doing is carving up alien hybrids for our alien technology overlords.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/01/24/the-x-files-chris-carter-defends-premiere-talks-mulder-scully-romance.html posted:

But Carter, whose interest in the New World Order was sparked by Internet conspiracy sites and visits to conventions exploring subjects like the secret space program, maintains he was strictly discerning about which theories might actually work for the show.
“I didn’t just throw everything but the kitchen sink in, you know,” he says.

Oh Carter :allears:

I'm surprised they used a Google knockoff for this, pretty sure the second movie actually featured Google.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

This might just be a fact of current short-attention-span TV, but did it seem like every cut was just a few frames too short? Like someone was behind the editors figuring out every way to cram too much exposition into enough time to squeeze in 2 more Ford commercials?

It didn't feel like natural talking at all, or even like the actors were all present at the same time for a lot of several scenes.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Considering the first thing Scully said when she saw Mulder was "Uber?" I'm not sure exactly what they were going for.

nopants
May 29, 2004

GamingHyena posted:

This episode made me feel like an old person watching the old X-Files by starting at season 8.

Who the hell were the scientists with the secret alien tech? Why would the US government plot to take over America when, by definition, they already accomplished that mission just by existing? And how much of my hard earned tax dollars are going to pay for multiple fake alien / not-alien conspiracies?

I was really hoping Joel was taking Mulder to the Lone Gunmen.

Also, I assume the reason the conspiracy is so convoluted for he same reason Frank Reynolds has so many shell corporations.

nopants fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 25, 2016

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Goddamn it I'm loving confused and I feel like I shouldn't be but hey it's an X-Files mythos episode so that's par for the course.

So what the gently caress did the talk behind the car at the end mean? Did the girl with the stomach holes actually have alien DNA and Scully lied to get Mulder away from McHale's character? What was the bit about comparing the girl's genome with Scully's? It seemed like she said that they were similar enough that the girl was Scully and Moulder's kid or something?

Like I said I feel like I shouldn't be confused about this but I honestly couldn't make heads or tales out of that scene.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

lelandjs posted:

Goddamn it I'm loving confused and I feel like I shouldn't be but hey it's an X-Files mythos episode so that's par for the course.

So what the gently caress did the talk behind the car at the end mean? Did the girl with the stomach holes actually have alien DNA and Scully lied to get Mulder away from McHale's character? What was the bit about comparing the girl's genome with Scully?

Like I said I feel like I shouldn't be confused about this but I honestly couldn't make heads or tales out of that scene.

I think the implication was that the re-test showed she did have the DNA and that it matched with something in Scully's DNA which means they both went through similar poo poo regarding abductions and babies. Scully was just referencing the first test when she said there was nothing there.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I thought Tad whatshis name was a government plant to get people to come to him and then he could sic the goons on them like the ARV guys. Though that doesn't make sense to then bring in Mulder/Scully or what his plan was. Also the girl never told him that she thouht it was men not aliens and once Mulder came out with everything that was the trigger to burn it all down and kill every one involved. Also Scully running the tests twice against her's was something they didn't expect and they faked the first test results but no the second. Or not and I should rewatch...

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I missed most of the premiere because my DVR recorded the rear end-end of the local news report regarding the Cardinals getting shithoused by a billion points.

I hope that Fox puts this up OnDemand tomorrow so I can see the whole thing. :(

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

nopants posted:

I was really hoping Joel was taking Mulder to the Lone Gunmen.

Also, I assume the reason the conspiracy is so convoluted for he same reason Frank Reynolds has so many shell corporations.

Yeah, when Joel McHale brought him to the hanger I really thought the "extremely paranoid" guys were going to be the Lone Gunmen, somehow resurrected like CSM.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Didn't Dean Haglund confirm the Lone Gunmen were going to make an appearance in the new season? Or is that another conspiracy?

nopants
May 29, 2004

Astroman posted:

Yeah, when Joel McHale brought him to the hanger I really thought the "extremely paranoid" guys were going to be the Lone Gunmen, somehow resurrected like CSM.

Same. It would have been hilarious if Tad was a Lone Gunmen disciple.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

doomisland posted:

I thought Tad whatshis name was a government plant to get people to come to him and then he could sic the goons on them like the ARV guys. Though that doesn't make sense to then bring in Mulder/Scully or what his plan was. Also the girl never told him that she thouht it was men not aliens and once Mulder came out with everything that was the trigger to burn it all down and kill every one involved. Also Scully running the tests twice against her's was something they didn't expect and they faked the first test results but no the second. Or not and I should rewatch...

I think it might have been something about being deeper than a regular dna test could find? She says something about sequencing their entire genomes. I don't know anything about DNA tests or genomes though (and neither does Carter, probably.)

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Slate Action posted:

Didn't Dean Haglund confirm the Lone Gunmen were going to make an appearance in the new season? Or is that another conspiracy?

I wonder if they'll go with that one comics followup where the lone gunman had been secretly swept away to work for the government. Which doesn't really make any sense either but whatever.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

The problem with a conspiracy plot is everything can be explained with a conspiracy.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I wonder how big of a role Skinner is going to get in these next episodes. Even if its not much its really nice seeing him in the opening though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

doomisland posted:

Tad could be playing both sides a la X or Deepthroat. Involves Mulder & Scully because he believes in them but also helps do the government's dirty work because he has to.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

PBS Newshour posted:

I wonder how big of a role Skinner is going to get in these next episodes. Even if its not much its really nice seeing him in the opening though.

Seeing Skinner get to be Angry Dad again makes it all worth it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That was like a weird hour long YouTube Conspiracy rant that had a budget to shoot the side scenes like a car commercial.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I wonder if Skinner is still ripped as gently caress.

nopants
May 29, 2004
Mitch Pileggi is great. I wish he was in more stuff.

Teso Dos Bitches
Mar 25, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

That was like a weird hour long YouTube Conspiracy rant that had a budget to shoot the side scenes like a car commercial.

I started doubting heavily until the last few scenes, but it ended well enough that I'm excited and optimistic again. Besides, we've got the Morgan episodes coming up.

....So is CSM a loving super soldier or some bullshit?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The idea that the real conspiracy is that CSM & Friends are killing the aliens to stop the nice aliens from saving us and then stealing their tech is so ridiculous I really like it.

nopants
May 29, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

The idea that the real conspiracy is that CSM & Friends are killing the aliens to stop the nice aliens from saving us and then stealing their tech is so ridiculous I really like it.

That's the plot to ID2.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Teso Dos Bitches posted:

I started doubting heavily until the last few scenes, but it ended well enough that I'm excited and optimistic again. Besides, we've got the Morgan episodes coming up.

....So is CSM a loving super soldier or some bullshit?

Nothing about him makes sense. If he was a super soldier, I feel like he wouldn't still have the hole in his neck.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Pops Mgee posted:

Nothing about him makes sense. If he was a super soldier, I feel like he wouldn't still have the hole in his neck.

There's that alien transplant thing I was questioning about earlier. I don't remember what it was supposed to actually do but it just made him into a wheelchair bound cripple. I'm wondering if it will finally come up again.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I personally loved it and got all emotional over using the original intro. What a loving show. One of the best.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Alpenglow posted:

This might just be a fact of current short-attention-span TV, but did it seem like every cut was just a few frames too short? Like someone was behind the editors figuring out every way to cram too much exposition into enough time to squeeze in 2 more Ford commercials?

It didn't feel like natural talking at all, or even like the actors were all present at the same time for a lot of several scenes.

Yes. The editing and pacing was very weird. For much of Mulder and Scully's interacting, the camera was rapidly cutting back and forth on them for every single line.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Decent, if initially confusing return for the show.

Weird thing I noticed/appreciated in this episode after having seen the second X-files movie yesterday for the first time. The operating room in Scully's hospital looks exactly the same as how it did in the movie. Didn't see enough of Mulder's house to see if they tried to make it seem like he was still living in the same place as well.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Well that was really good. I dunno what you're all on about, I watched this stoned out of my mind and I didn't have any trouble following what was going on.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Seeing McHale was strange though. I was NOT expecting him to be a major player in this

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Garrand posted:

Considering the first thing Scully said when she saw Mulder was "Uber?" I'm not sure exactly what they were going for.

She may has well have looked at the camera and said its 2016 everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teso Dos Bitches
Mar 25, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

I personally loved it and got all emotional over using the original intro. What a loving show. One of the best.

Yeah, the intro got me (and everyone in our watching party) all kinds of feelings-y. It's the X-Files, and it's back.

• Locked thread