Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

asio posted:

Noted Players in Australian Culture, the Society of Jesus?
Abbott, Hockey, Pyne, Shorten and Joyce all went to Jesuit schools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

open24hours posted:

Buyer beware. Creditors should have known what they were financing. Can't expect the government to protect people from their own stupid decisions.

Yeah. Next thing you know they'll force you to wear a helmet when riding a bike or have someone tell you when you've had enough to drink and at what times you can drink.

Oh wait.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I always found "Jesuit" to be an extremely sexy word

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Abbott, Hockey, Pyne, Shorten and Joyce all went to Jesuit schools.

Of course; the Tory schools. My mind went to the spice trade/Japan, didn't think they were still relevant

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
For those who didn't know yet, Wizards of Aus is out on SBS and it is amazing.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

xPanda posted:

They would have sounded more sensible if they'd said "closure of the OPAL reactor after the development of non-reactor technologies, but the old eco-crowd from which the party was borne might not have wanted to wait.

I'm a couple of months away from getting this exact change through as policy, watch this space. Ludlam confirmed this is the intent of the policy in any case.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Dunno why republicans are starting to beat the drum now, all they need to do is wait for the queen to cark it and Charles will do all the campaigning for them.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
If I'd been willing to piss off Waverley and Woollahra and pushed it to a vote, I reckon I could have got it through without any reference whatsoever to closing OPAL. I'm pretty persuasive.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

hooman posted:

It seems to change direction half way through but it's sure worth watching.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Quantum Mechanic posted:

If I'd been willing to piss off Waverley and Woollahra and pushed it to a vote, I reckon I could have got it through without any reference whatsoever to closing OPAL. I'm pretty persuasive.

If twitter trolls are to be believed you're a senate candidate though so you have a dog in this fight.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
http://www.theage.com.au/comment/the-problem-with-australia-day-20160121-gmauc8.html

Worth a click.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

asio posted:

Of course; the Tory schools. My mind went to the spice trade/Japan, didn't think they were still relevant

unfortunately

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

hooman posted:

Birb Katter posted:

It seems to change direction half way through but it's sure worth watching.

I'm thirding this. The immigration themes could have been done better but I went in expecting a funny show about wizards and I got a funny show about wizards, A+ :getin:

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

It's weird for me becuase I know the creator and half the extras from school.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Recoome posted:

In an unsurprising turn of events, the guy narrating the most recent UPF callout video can't pronounce the word "Jesuit".

Protip nerds, it's not pronounce "Jee- soot"

One of my Facebook friends teaches at a Jesuit high school in the US. What did they say about Jee-soots specifically?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

Tony Abbott jets to US to address abortion and gay-marriage opponents Alliance Defending Freedom

January 25, 2016 - 5:05PM
Mark Kenny
Chief political correspondent

EXCLUSIVE

Fresh from giving new hope to disaffected conservative Liberals by staying in federal politics, Tony Abbott will fly to the United States on Tuesday to gee-up one of the religious right's most reactionary bodies, the Alliance Defending Freedom.

Mr Abbott, who is being accompanied by wife Margie, will give a speech on the topic of "the importance of family" to the pro-Christian, Republican-aligned lobby, which opposes abortion, wants to end gay marriage and is pushing to roll back some feminist advances.

The speech comes as the primary race for the presidential nomination approaches fever pitch, with contenders on the Republican side scrambling to secure the overwhelmingly Christian "Tea Party" base.

The Alliance Defending Freedom's founding president, Alan Sears, is a regular conservative voice on Rupert Murdoch's Fox News channel and co-authored the 2003 book, The Homosexual Agenda: Exposing the Principal Threat to Religious Liberty Today.

With Craig Osten, Sears argued that America's growing tolerance of homosexuality was being achieved through the indoctrination of children, tacit support of corporate America, and through "positive" television depictions of alternative family structures.

The ADF has attracted trenchant criticism from the left for opposing "tolerance training" for schools aimed at reducing bullying of LGBTI students. Instead, it proposed "truth days", in which homosexual behaviour was openly discussed as sinful.

Announcing his intention to contest the 2016 election, Mr Abbott said he wanted to focus on "transport issues" in his Sydney electorate.

But Mr Abbott's US address will add to his post-leadership record of spruiking conservative values and right-of-centre policies to like-minded groups abroad. It will also further burnish his credentials as Australia's pre-eminent social conservative, in sharp distinction with the middle-ground of Australian politics, and with that of his replacement, the pro-marriage equality, pro-environment Malcolm Turnbull.

Mr Abbott's direct links with the organisation will be seen as a powerful statement of difference from Mr Turnbull who pointedly spoke with the more moderate Republican presidential hopeful, Marco Rubio recently - who is pro-free trade - rather than the two contenders ahead of Mr Rubio, Ted Cruz and the favourite, the ultra-conservative, Donald Trump.

Mr Abbott's program in the US is understood to include a number of other appointments, however his office denied a suggestion that that he was scheduled to canvass a planned comeback with Rupert Murdoch and/or his New York Post editor, Col Allan.

It follows just days after Mr Turnbull made his first official visit as Prime Minister to the US for meetings with political leaders and President Barack Obama, and as Mr Abbott's erstwhile treasurer, Joe Hockey, begins his term as Australia's new ambassador to Washington.

Mr Abbott's decision to remain in politics has inevitably raised concerns within the Turnbull camp that the former prime minister harbours leadership ambitions and that he will become a destabilising influence, reviving Kevin Rudd's successful undermining of Julia Gillard.

Some right-wing MPs believe he can be restored to the top job, and that in the interim, he should be elevated to the cabinet when Malcolm Turnbull makes changes forced on him by the resignation of Jamie Briggs and the standing aside of another minister, Mal Brough.

The ADF believes some freedoms, most notably the freedom to practice the Christian faith, is being subsumed by the free expression of the individual, and argues that the contest over the definition of marriage goes to the very foundations of America's future.

"What happens to marriage dictates what our society will become," it states on its website.

"The cultural battle over marriage isn't about two individuals looking to legally establish their love. It's much bigger than that, and much more is at stake. As marriage is redefined, children face a world that is less likely to affirm their need for both a mom and a dad. The focus of marital relationships shifts from selfless love to the desires of the individual. And the religious freedom of those who stand for marriage is threatened."

An ADF official travelled to Australia late last year to address the Australian Christian Lobby's national conference.

The Turnbull government is committed to a non-binding public plebiscite on marriage equality some time during the next term of office – assuming it is re-elected – in a compromise plan nutted out by Mr Abbott shortly before he lost the support of his party room.

Mr Turnbull advocated a free parliamentary vote to wave through same-sex marriage equality, having argued that blocking it meant defying majority public opinion and that it would become a political liability for the Liberal Party in the 2016 election.

Fairfax has confirmed the costs for the address have been met by the Alliance Defending Freedom.

Who are the ADF?

quote:

For most of American history, LGBT people in this country have been stigmatized, imprisoned, violently attacked and severely discriminated against. And today, they are still the population most likely to be victimized by violent hate crimes, according to the FBI. But the modern gay rights movement, which began with the 1969 explosion of frustration known as the Stonewall riots, has made unexpectedly dramatic progress, especially in the last few years. Discriminatory policies in the military and elsewhere have fallen like dominoes. Polling has shown huge and positive shifts in public attitudes toward gay men and lesbians. Thirteen states have approved same-sex marriage. And in June, the U.S. Supreme Court struck down as unconstitutional the Defense of Marriage Act, ruling that legally married same-sex couples must receive the same federal benefits that heterosexual couples receive. At the same time, the Court overturned California’s Proposition 8, a ballot initiative that banned same-sex marriages in that state.

All of this has left the American hard-line religious right, which spent decades demonizing LGBT people and working to keep them in the closet, on the losing side of a battle that it now seems incapable of winning. As a result, these groups and individuals have increasingly shifted their attention to other nations, where anti-gay attitudes are much stronger and violence against the LGBT community far too common. In places like Uganda, where legislators since 2009 have been pushing a law that would impose the death penalty for the Orwellian offense of “aggravated homosexuality,” U.S. religious ideologues have given aid and comfort to the authors of barbaric legislation. More and more, they are doing the same in other countries around the globe.

Now, this international battle over the constitutionality of anti-sodomy laws has moved to Belize, a Central American country where the government and an array of far-right religious forces are defending the draconian statute known as Section 53, which punishes same-sex “carnal intercourse against the order of nature” with 10 years in prison. Though Belize is tiny, the battle has attracted numerous American groups — including the prominent Christian legal powerhouse Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF) — on the pro-criminalization side, providing advice to anti-gay bigots in Belize.

The ADF is a serious organization. Founded in 1994 by 30 prominent Christian leaders in response to what they saw as “growing attacks on religious freedom,” the organization has an annual budget of more than $30 million, a staff of 44 in-house lawyers and 2,200 allied lawyers. Its board is stacked with luminaries not only from the religious right, but also with partners from powerful law firms and captains of industry.

The ADF believes that religious freedom is under attack worldwide. It has in recent years built an international legal network and placed staffers overseas because it sees “a risk of winning a domestic battle while potentially — in time — losing the world.” Its website states that it is active in 31 foreign countries and describes a number of global initiatives. But it makes no mention of its criminalization work.

There is great hypocrisy here. Surely such work, providing legal or other counsel to keep a law on the books that lands gay people in jail for consensual sex, violates the oft-stated principle of the religious right that their theology teaches to hate the sin, but love the sinner. Perhaps that is why neither the ADF, nor any of the other American religious groups involved in Belize, say a word about their involvement in the Belize case on their websites. They also refuse to speak to the press about the case.

Their work is fanning the flames of anti-gay hatred that already exists in many of the countries where they are injecting themselves. As in Uganda, American groups have been propagandizing about the “recruitment” of young schoolchildren, the allegedly depraved and diseased lives of LGBT people, the pedophilia that is supposedly common among gay men, and the destruction of Christianity and the institution of marriage that they seem certain ending anti-LGBT laws will lead to. This vicious propaganda, born and bred by American ideologues, has found fertile soil across the globe.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Quantum Mechanic posted:

I'm a couple of months away from getting this exact change through as policy, watch this space. Ludlam confirmed this is the intent of the policy in any case.

A positive move, but do you mean the intent now or what it will be?

Anyway, call me when The Greens have decided not to ignore that Australia probably has a responsibility in the reprocessing and storage of nuclear waste.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

adamantium|wang posted:

Who are the ADF?

Why the gently caress are these groups always named like it was Opposite Day

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

SadisTech posted:

They did use the term "Orwellian" in there somewhere. People using Orwellian as an insulting adjective towards others while using Orwellian naming themselves is one of the most infuriating examples of doublethink to ever plague my existence.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

adamantium|wang posted:

Who are the ADF?

I'm sure glad to hear Abbott's all about supporting family. We should all stand up for our family. Sisters, for instance.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

ScreamingLlama posted:

One of my Facebook friends teaches at a Jesuit high school in the US. What did they say about Jee-soots specifically?

Eh, basically about some dude who's a freelance journo and is giving UPF a bad rep. The UPF have been recently making a string of callout vids and poo poo and I'm really worried someone will get hurt, the videos are pretty imflammatory.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

Eh, basically about some dude who's a freelance journo and is giving UPF a bad rep. The UPF have been recently making a string of callout vids and poo poo and I'm really worried someone will get hurt, the videos are pretty imflammatory.

Got a link?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

As a non-whitey I'm gonna stay indoors tomorrow. Cheers straya

http://www.sbs.com.au/comedy/article/2015/01/21/how-avoid-being-dickhead-australia-day

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

hooman posted:

Got a link?

https://www.facebook.com/NeilEriksonMedia/videos/992173744188201/

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

For context by the way, this guy is a convicted stalker.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Former Army Chief David Morrison is Australian of the Year.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

SadisTech posted:

It's like how countries with Democratic in the name never are

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He's done incredibly good work, and deserves all the congratulations in the world.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, and his biggest rating youtube thing he's not wearing stripes. You only don't wear stripes when you're at war. Unless we're at war with youtube he deserves no respect.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I feel like I'm seeing a lot more 'anti' Australia Day stuff doing the rounds this year. Maybe Stan Grant just put it in the mainstream with his speech, but hopefully it's the start of a more permanent trend.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

gay picnic defence posted:

I feel like I'm seeing a lot more 'anti' Australia Day stuff doing the rounds this year. Maybe Stan Grant just put it in the mainstream with his speech, but hopefully it's the start of a more permanent trend.

I'm really, really tempted to troll by Facebook posting that flag from a couple pages back with the text "So given all the Republican talk we're going to need to discuss a new flag design, here is an option that sums up Australian values"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Brunswick Liberation Front :lol:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

How long do you reckon til the Halal Snack Pack Appreciation Society overtakes UPF in facebook likes?

They're only 10k behind right now with no sign of slowing down.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Re: flagchat, I actually like the golden wattle design:

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
That's pretty cool, I once drove Lt. General Morrison from an airport into the respective CBD for a few meetings before driving him back to said airport. He was the highest ranking member of the Defence Force that I ever had the pleasure of driving whilst I was still in active service.

He was a very open and calm person to talk to, and he really left an impression on me that such levels of authority are not always to be afraid of.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Bifauxnen posted:

Re: flagchat, I actually like the golden wattle design:

Oh that's pretty cool. Green looks a bit pale though.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!
So how angry is Mark Latham at this very moment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
I am sure I am not alone here in wanting to able to celebrate, just not on the 26th of Jan.

At the moment though there aren't many options that we could change it to that most people would get behind. Our federation was created on Jan 1, which is already a holiday where people are getting over hangovers.

One of the best advantages of if we become a republic soon is that we will be able to move our national holiday to whatever day we officially become a republic. I think February the 1st would be pretty good as it's still summer and easy as gently caress to remember.

• Locked thread