Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
我真的喜歡你娘烤好.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barto
Dec 27, 2004
靠北 is as 靠北 does~

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

which means whatever for you 文盲 goons like Moon Slayer (that means illiterate, by the way),

事实上,我正在读中国语文很好的全部时间。

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

posting in simplified like a fuckin degenerate, smh

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Moon Slayer posted:

事实上,我正在读中国语文很好的全部时间。

Get. Out.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I'm too 文盲 (illiterate) to know the difference :(

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me

Moon Slayer posted:

事实上,我正在读中国语文很好的全部时间。

Bahahaha 真笨的你,都蝦里你讓我笑得超級大聲,謝天謝地! 什麼是中國語文,你他媽的農。

edit: 還有一件事: 得重複上面的goon說你和你的醜字趕快給我們走開。

Pandemonium fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 25, 2016

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Serious response, I've spent a lot of time studying traditional characters and to me the things that immediately jump out are that simplified characters are less dense and way more jagged. They tend to have lines coming off of center points and traditional basically never does that. Compare:

車车
長长
說说
來来

I'm biased, but there's a visual grace to the traditional characters and the way your hand moves to form them feels really natural. The simplified characters look ill formed in typed fonts. They're natural to write, but in the sense that you're intentionally skipping steps.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts on it.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

Serious response, I've spent a lot of time studying traditional characters and to me the things that immediately jump out are that simplified characters are less dense and way more jagged. They tend to have lines coming off of center points and traditional basically never does that. Compare:

車车
長长
說说
來来

I'm biased, but there's a visual grace to the traditional characters and the way your hand moves to form them feels really natural. The simplified characters look ill formed in typed fonts. They're natural to write, but in the sense that you're intentionally skipping steps.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts on it.

Simplified were made only to reduce the number of strokes and with no thought in mind to aesthetics or etymology so that all the farmers might have a better shot at literacy. gently caress simplified.

And there are a few that are just straight up retarded, like flipping the two parts of 夠.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

Wow, ok, you're coming on a little strong there. Listen, um, I'm not really into guys. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but ... yeah. Sorry.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

中國語文 would be Chinese Language and Literature you dense gently caress. Also the post was a joke. I feel like you probably need that explained each time.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Pandemonium posted:

Are you looking for a Chinese tutor?
Because...

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Pandemonium posted:

you're really loving predictable

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Barto posted:

Because...
Yo when Pandemonium snaps can I have your dictionaries?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Chantilly Say posted:

I don't think we addressed my earlier question.
Speaking of your earlier questions, apparently for papaya salad you want to go to Tonghua Street Night Market (Xinyi-Anhe MRT) and there's a stall run by a Thai woman called Joky that's right on your right at the intersection of Linjiang and Tonghua (it's in the part that looks like the leftovers from the actual night market on the left). As for just a legit Thai restaurant, there's a place called Khrua Chaikha (ครัวชายคา) located here.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

TetsuoTW posted:

Speaking of your earlier questions, apparently for papaya salad you want to go to Tonghua Street Night Market (Xinyi-Anhe MRT) and there's a stall run by a Thai woman called Joky that's right on your right at the intersection of Linjiang and Tonghua (it's in the part that looks like the leftovers from the actual night market on the left). As for just a legit Thai restaurant, there's a place called Khrua Chaikha (ครัวชายคา) located here.

Awesome, thanks dude. I knew there had to be some northeastern Thais who moved over here.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pandemonium posted:

Simplified were made only to reduce the number of strokes and with no thought in mind to aesthetics or etymology so that all the farmers might have a better shot at literacy. gently caress simplified.

And there are a few that are just straight up retarded, like flipping the two parts of 夠.

This is true for some simplified characters but not others. There are a bunch that were based on commonly used shorthand that got formalized and as a result they show up in character sets that are otherwise all traditional, like Japanese including 国. But we've been over this before and it's not super relevant to a quick rule of thumb for spot recognizing traditional versus simplified characters.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pandemonium posted:

She's pretty cool. I think if I told her that I mentioned our date in a thread read by a handful of ex-pats she would say, oh 隨便, which means whatever for you 文盲 goons like Moon Slayer (that means illiterate, by the way), and she would have said it in either a negative or neutral-but-leaning-negative tone of voice. Then it would be forgotten as quickly as it was mentioned. I'm just guessing, though. You never know how Taiwanese girls will react, amirite?! (or any girls for that matter, amirite x2?!) :keke:

Okay, there's the answer. I just wanted to get your take on that.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Chantilly Say posted:

Okay, there's the answer. I just wanted to get your take on that.

What if she was sitting on a bar stool?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Atlas Hugged posted:

I don't know, you tell me.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

Yo when Pandemonium snaps can I have your dictionaries?

Be my guest!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Chantilly Say posted:

I don't know, you tell me.

Depends on if she was in Asia or not I guess. Never really got closure on that bit of wisdom.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Depends on if she was in Asia or not I guess. Never really got closure on that bit of wisdom.

He could just mean that she's probably awesome at Connect Four.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I think when he says "Awesome" he means "She knows her place and doesn't try to spermjack me, bro"

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

中國語文 would be Chinese Language and Literature you dense gently caress. Also the post was a joke. I feel like you probably need that explained each time.

Whoooooosh.

Barto posted:

Because...

Yeah, bro, please post some content and not just dumb loving troll bait like this. Thanks.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Generally a bad idea to date girls that frequent bars in this part of the world. It's definitely restricted to a "type" much more so than back home. I've found that there a decent girls that go with their friends to clubs for birthdays and stuff, but clubs are also silly places to try to meet someone if you are interested in anything more than a hookup. Please feel free to disagree with that while providing no reason as per usual in this thread. :cool:

Spanish Matlock posted:

I think when he says "Awesome" he means "She knows her place and doesn't try to spermjack me, bro"

Dude, you know way too much about this poo poo. I have heard mgtow before, but I have never heard of spermjacking before. What the gently caress are you on about here? Guys who think girls steal sperm from used condoms? You are a true gift that keeps on giving--you really won't stop assuming the most bat-poo poo ridiculous things about someone you don't know. Didn't you learn your lesson with the whole "I bet you don't even know Chinese (like me)" post?

Edit: Can't emphasize enough how unsurprisingly ironic it is that you have so much information on these people on the internet you so clearly hate and you so clearly want me to be a part of.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pandemonium posted:

Generally a bad idea to date girls that frequent bars in this part of the world. It's definitely restricted to a "type" much more so than back home. I've found that there a decent girls that go with their friends to clubs for birthdays and stuff, but clubs are also silly places to try to meet someone if you are interested in anything more than a hookup. Please feel free to disagree with that while providing no reason as per usual in this thread. :cool:

I met my wife in a nightclub/bar, didn't hook up with her the night I met her, and dated her successfully for years before starting a family with her. I'm not sure she'd like being categorized as a type.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
im just here to buy soy sauce

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

I met my wife in a nightclub/bar, didn't hook up with her the night I met her, and dated her successfully for years before starting a family with her. I'm not sure she'd like being categorized as a type.

Dude, you are in Bangkok. You have to know your situation is an exception to the rule.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
What type is that?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pandemonium posted:

Dude, you are in Bangkok. You have to know your situation is an exception to the rule.

Why do you assume I met my wife in Bangkok?

Barto
Dec 27, 2004
It's not troll bait, Panda, the Chinese you posted was full of malapropisms and poorly structured Chinese. If you need a tutor, just let me know. I have lots of friends in various linguistic departments who might be able to help you, though it might take some time...perhaps a lot of time. But I don't think you're beyond help!

You know what they say about learning languages---as long as you keep trying, you can definitely make progress!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Atlas Hugged posted:

because he knows everything and also you're wrong about that

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Pandemonium posted:

"I bet you don't even know Chinese (like me)" post?

:lol: No one is trying to compete with you, dude. I have never studied Chinese a day in my life, I get by with what I pick up in conversation well enough to suit me, and I have no desire to enter into a Chinese-speaking field of work. Fortunately I'm secure enough in who I am that I don't have to run around with a measuring tape trying to check everyone's dick size.

Edit: I do want you to understand though, that a lot of people are probably going to assume your Chinese is bad because you're an unbelievably aggressive dick about it constantly.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jan 25, 2016

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
While this thread is great, a gift that truly keeps on giving:

0970 22 99 02

add me as a friend Pandemonium, I'll add you to the LINE group, it's a smaller readership than here, but, it's obviously more conversational and personal.
That may or may not help get your point across.

I've posted my details in the thread on several occasions either,to bring people into the LINE chat, or for the poker game etc., surprised you didn't dig it up.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Barto posted:

It's not troll bait, Panda, the Chinese you posted was full of malapropisms and poorly structured Chinese. If you need a tutor, just let me know. I have lots of friends in various linguistic departments who might be able to help you, though it might take some time...perhaps a lot of time. But I don't think you're beyond help!

You know what they say about learning languages---as long as you keep trying, you can definitely make progress!

I wrote two sentences, and the best you can do is generalize and hand-wave. What exactly are you referring to. Please please please tell me you are referring to 都蝦哩. Please! Are you in Taiwan? Are you one of these people who thinks ending a sentence with 了啦 is an impossibility because 啦 is 了 + 啊, yet you don't live here so you don't know that people do it all the drat time to add emphasis (especially women). Please please please tell me you have nothing more than a detached, abstract understanding. Otherwise, point out the areas of "poorly structured Chinese" and the specific "malapropisms" or kindly move on. It would have taken you just as much time to point out something as to type that post.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I mean you are there now. You know the kind of local that frequents bars and clubs generally speaking in this part of the world.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Pandemonium posted:

I mean you are there now. You know the kind of local that frequents bars and clubs generally speaking in this part of the world.

This kind of poo poo just reeks of "gently caress those jock assholes who kept stuffing me in my locker in HS"

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Pandemonium posted:

I wrote two sentences, and the best you can do is generalize and hand-wave. What exactly are you referring to. Please please please tell me you are referring to 都蝦哩. Please! Are you in Taiwan? Are you one of these people who thinks ending a sentence with 了啦 is an impossibility because 啦 is 了 + 啊, yet you don't live here so you don't know that people do it all the drat time to add emphasis (especially women). Please please please tell me you have nothing more than a detached, abstract understanding. Otherwise, point out the areas of "poorly structured Chinese" and the specific "malapropisms" or kindly move on. It would have taken you just as much time to point out something as to type that post.

If I didn't live here, then how would I have had lunch with your ex-coworkers recently? :)

Offer still stands, but I don't teach people for free, sorry.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Spanish Matlock posted:

:lol: No one is trying to compete with you, dude. I have never studied Chinese a day in my life, I get by with what I pick up in conversation well enough to suit me, and I have no desire to enter into a Chinese-speaking field of work. Fortunately I'm secure enough in who I am that I don't have to run around with a measuring tape trying to check everyone's dick size.

Edit: I do want you to understand though, that a lot of people are probably going to assume your Chinese is bad because you're an unbelievably aggressive dick about it constantly.

Why would you assume someone's Chinese is bad because of that? Where is the logic there? You are always going off on whatever tangent you want for whatever reason you want without a thread tying you down to reality. You need to reconsider the way you approach reading other people's posts, and how you yourself post ba.

It's not about competing, either. It's about you drawing every conclusion under the sun about me or about anything really without knowing a god drat thing. That's maybe not a great thing to do, as I have shown you several times, yet you persist. So I'm just going to leave you to it. Assume on, bro.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Pandemonium posted:

Why would you assume someone's Chinese is bad because of that? Where is the logic there? You are always going off on whatever tangent you want for whatever reason you want without a thread tying you down to reality. You need to reconsider the way you approach reading other people's posts, and how you yourself post ba.

It's not about competing, either. It's about you drawing every conclusion under the sun about me or about anything really without knowing a god drat thing. That's maybe not a great thing to do, as I have shown you several times, yet you persist. So I'm just going to leave you to it. Assume on, bro.

Based on what I've heard, I wouldn't entirely say their assumptions are off the mark ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Spanish Matlock posted:

This kind of poo poo just reeks of "gently caress those jock assholes who kept stuffing me in my locker in HS"

More! I love it! WTF does recognizing that average chicks in X Asian country don't frequent bars, let alone ex-pat friendly/English-speaking bars have anything to do with this dumb loving statement you've just made that again assumes more nonsense.