Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8ZmeXGhli0

10 months ago...

I tried Xtreme on emulator (with controller though) and I couldn't do it...double-tap to dash is just seriously not my jam. If you're like a veteran Super Smash Bros player, then maybe it's cool :D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I was never too big on Xtreme since it was like a handheld version of the bad playstation X games instead of a handheld version of the good SNES X games.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

pick-e posted:

Saw Mega Man Xtreme is on sale on the 3DS eshop so I picked it up. What have I done, what am I in for? I can't imagine dashing and other crazy X series maneuvers with the GBCs limited buttons.

:ohdear:

Ah, that's okay. Your DK Land LP sold me on that game so I'll be interested to see what other non-MM games you go for. Can I assume it's another one which "flows" well?

Set the game option to automatically charge the X-Buster. Dash by doing the slide command from classic Mega Man games. You can use the Select button but you really don't want to do that. Just get used to not being able to zip around like a maniac.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Xtreme is clunky and doesn't work properly and it's poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Star Man posted:

Just get used to not being able to zip around like a maniac.

But that's the best part of the X games. :smith:

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I only had MM2 as a kid and I'm replaying the games out of order.

I thought MM3 was supposed to be the easiest game, but these doc robots are loving hard compared to the MM2 originals! Even attempting to use the weak weapons instead of the buster (no way I was gonna beat Doc Quick Man with the buster).

Doc Heat Man is BS, he tosses 3 fireballs at you to start the fight and I had a savestate just before he throws them, no combination of walking/jumping/sliding lets you navigate them. Forced hits are lame!

I'm trying to get a set of save states for all the original/X games in that room with the boss rush, so I can replay the bosses whenever easily. I kind of forget that after 3, you're only about 1/3 through the game when you beat all the masters. Starting on X2 next.

e: Jump on X, shoot on Square, Dash on L1. Swap on O/Triangle. The way Mega Man X/Zero was meant to be. (I'm playing SNES version but I can never remember where ABXY go on a given controller anymore - even the button mapping interface in the SNES X games is annoying since it won't let you temporarily assign the same button to 2 commands so you have to like sliding-puzzle it)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

pick-e posted:

Saw Mega Man Xtreme is on sale on the 3DS eshop so I picked it up.

Thank you for mentioning this. I recently finished all five MM games from the black & white era, and I wanted to try these... despite the nay-sayers. I had forgotten about the three week long, three-stage New Year sale that they do. I hope that Extreme 2, which is supposedly much better, goes on sale in a later week.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Xtreme 2 is also poo poo.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Dabir posted:

Xtreme 2 is also poo poo.

Calling it 'poo poo' I think is too harsh. I think the Xtreme games were not optimized for the gameboy. In the GB mega games, you have smaller rooms, and usually the whole room was shown on the screen. Xtreme 1 and 2 seem like copy pastes of the SNES MMX games. Long pathways, with a lot of suicide jumps. Plus, fighting the Elephant boss in Xtreme 2 was a bitch with most of the boss room not on the screen.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Did both Xtreme games do the thing where you could play the levels as either X or Zero but only the character who beats the boss gets the subweapon, or is that just an Xtreme 2 thing?

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Did both Xtreme games do the thing where you could play the levels as either X or Zero but only the character who beats the boss gets the subweapon, or is that just an Xtreme 2 thing?

You can't play as Zero in the first one IIRC

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

That's just in Xtreme 2. You can only summon Zero for a single attack in Xtreme 1.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Xtreme 2, but that's only in Xtreme mode. Normally X and Zero have their own story with their own four bosses, then you get the ability to tag for the fortress. Xtreme mode is fun because you have to kill two or three specific bosses with Zero otherwise you can't get his upgrades.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Yeah... the Xtreme games are not fantastic and I often forget they exist.

Mega Man X is probably the most beloved Mega Man series because while it has few good games, its few good games are really loving good. Then it's bad games are really, really bad...

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Electromax posted:

Doc Heat Man is BS, he tosses 3 fireballs at you to start the fight and I had a savestate just before he throws them, no combination of walking/jumping/sliding lets you navigate them. Forced hits are lame!

Heat Man does this in MM2 as well. It's RNG - there is a throwing pattern that does let you avoid it, but there is also a pattern that forces a hit. It's the same in both games.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Hey guys guess what got delayed again

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9/posts/1473777

quote:

To the fans eagerly awaiting the release of Mighty No. 9,

Unfortunately, we have an announcement that will be very disappointing to all of you. In preparation for the February release of Mighty No. 9 we have been working hard with our partners to resolve any network issues and porting work necessary to publish Mighty No. 9 on the various platforms. However, the issues relating to the network modes were more critical than expected, and it has become apparent that we will need to delay the game from its February 9th release date. We have been working up until the very last moment to resolve these issues in order to make the February release, but it has become clear that we no longer have enough time to fix the issues and have everything prepared for release.

The reason for the delay is rooted in bugs inside the network modes, and specifically problems with matchmaking. There are two large reasons for this problem, one of them being the large number of platforms supported (the solution for each platform is slightly different) and the other stems from the fact that the engine we are using is no longer being updated which means adjustments for matchmaking and online code are being made manually (actually reprogramming parts of the engine by the dev team themselves). Unfortunately, this is all a result of miscalculations on the part of us, the development staff. As a result, our fans who have been looking forward to Mighty No. 9 have been forced to wait for over half a year longer than expected, and for that we are sincerely sorry. I want to take this chance to apologize personally, and on the behalf of the development staff.

Over the end of the year break and the beginning of 2016, the development staff has been working on these issues non-stop without break, and thanks to their hard work the end is in sight. We continue to make progress to resolve these last issues that have been holding up the release of the game on the different platforms.

Because we are constantly working on it in cooperation with all our partners, we want to wait and make sure that everything is confirmed to be ready before giving a new specific release date. But we expect it to realistically be in Spring 2016.

For this 3rd delay of the game, we have no excuses for disappointing our fans and especially our backers once more. We want to take this chance to express our sincerest apologies to everyone who has looked forward to the release.

Although we are far past our original release date, the release of Mighty No. 9 is still right around the corner. We are all working hard to make sure that we can finish and release the game to all of our fans as quickly as possible, and ask once more for your support of this project that we have created together over these last few years.

Keiji Inafune

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm sorry Inafune san but it's....a trainwreck...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Makes it even more appropriate that Mighty No. 9 is on the cover of the latest NF Magazine issue, which is all about Delayed Games.

Also..why the hell weren't they testing network stuff as they were making the game?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I hope the game gets delayed nine times before it finally comes out.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
A sad tale of incompetence and baffling priorities.

Seriously, I cannot believe that they're holding up the release for half a year to fix matchmaking issues, in a primarily single player game. There's something much worse going on in this project that they're too scared to talk about.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

What the hell was the previous delay for if the network stuff wasn't tested yet?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The exact same thing, as far as I can tell.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9/posts/1314847

quote:

Of course, it is important to explain why exactly the game is being delayed. As we have communicated in the updates to our backers, all of the core content for the game is developed and in a complete state. However, there are still bugs and issues pertaining to the online features that are included in the game. These bugs and issues have a direct affect on enjoyment of the game, so a decision was made to work these issues out before release.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Mr. Fortitude posted:

What the hell was the previous delay for if the network stuff wasn't tested yet?

The previous delay was for online stuff as well...

I think it's safe to say at this point that Inafune has lost all credibility when it comes to Kickstarter. Mighty No. 9 is a joke at this point.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I wonder if Inafune actually realizes how all this looks or if he's sitting snug in an ivory tower somewhere thinking up the Might No.9 Battle Network kickstarter.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah I had a feeling that the previous delay was for the exact same issues. What the hell?

Pureauthor posted:

I wonder if Inafune actually realizes how all this looks or if he's sitting snug in an ivory tower somewhere thinking up the Might No.9 Battle Network kickstarter.

Don't give him ideas.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

man a networking bug that takes a whole year to fix

i'm no programmer but that must be the hardest bug in the world to crack

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They'll have us paying for jpegs of Robot Masters any day now.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

voltcatfish posted:

man a networking bug that takes a whole year to fix

i'm no programmer but that must be the hardest bug in the world to crack

if its true, it's less a bug and more a complete online code rewrite that then needs to be bug tested and ported to every single format.

Or maybe the game sucks and they're trying to make it good.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
I said it during the last delay too, but "really, it's just some problems with the netcode because this project is just so expansive" is straight from the Star Citizen book of how to run PR when your crowdfunded project is straight hosed

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Maybe if they delay it enough, the Shiggy principle will kick in and it will wind up as a good game.

lol j/k

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
You know, I was joking with my brother recently about this happening.

So with them saying that it is still a problem with networking I have to wonder what the actual issue is. I mean, it could be that they are just that bad at coding online functionality in, but as much as I would imagine that Comcept is pretty bad at making games there is only so far that can go, right?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

It isn't uncommon to release online features in a later patch, even for big releases like GTA and MGS. Smells like bullshit.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It is pretty stunning to me that in a genre pretty much dedicated to single-player experience, an multiplayer bug is causing this massive delay, and it's even more shameful considering how hard these guys are being shown up by the Iga-vania kickstarter, which is pretty much already the best kickstarter of all time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This is like a goddamn parody at this point.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

[in Roll voice, but sarcastically] Good luck, Mega Man!

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Is Mighty No. 9 a real game?

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
If the game is amazing, perfect, spectacular, then this will just be a footnote - like delaying Last of Us by a few months.

I don't think that'll happen here.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skychrono posted:

If the game is amazing, perfect, spectacular, then this will just be a footnote - like delaying Last of Us by a few months.

I don't think that'll happen here.

We've already gotten our hands on playable versions of the game. Unless the content they haven't shown is utterly mindblowing it's going to be a competent but not exceptional 2D platformer.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

We've already gotten our hands on playable versions of the game. Unless the content they haven't shown is utterly mindblowing it's going to be a competent but not exceptional 2D platformer.

Which would be fine if it had come out on time. At this point, I think it'll be impossible for MN9 to meet people's expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

The latest playable release looked pretty drat mediocre and I'm a person who likes the X games past 4