Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Sard posted:

I have many questions, starting out with how this managed to be one of the top players in the match.

Oh hey I was spectating that dude after I killed like 3 people in my Warhammmer. That's the first Gargoyle I've ever actually seen as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
Saw a dude with four flamers and four machine guns. Is that a legit thing or are they incapable of ever killing anything?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I think you can also fit an Atlas, two Blackjacks and a Locust for Going Fast? Although the Locust isn't anywhere near as good as a Firestarter as a general-purpose light.

The Huginn is real nasty, probably my favorite hero mech right now besides the Black Widow

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Megafunk posted:

Saw a dude with four flamers and four machine guns. Is that a legit thing or are they incapable of ever killing anything?

More than likely a dumbass gimmick build. Actually, were they in an Ember by any chance? That's it's stock build. No one should ever run a stock build in this game.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
I think it was an Ember, yeah.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Megafunk posted:

lol no

4 spl and 4MG is adequate, if not super optimal or anything. Flamers are totally useless though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bolow posted:

The Huginn is real nasty, probably my favorite hero mech right now besides the Black Widow

I forgot Blackjacks are mediums and not heavies, because they're that ridiculous.

So yeah, you can easily fit an Atlas, two Blackjacks and a Huginn or Firestarter, but that would only be 225, so I'd replace the second Blackjack with a Thunderbolt.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

Safety Factor posted:

No one should ever run a stock build in this game.

Except maybe certain Clan robots. Looking at you, SCR-PRIME. :v:

Also, first run in the Wubscat got two players bitching at me so hard you'd think I was driving a Mist Lynx. Then I got 5 kills in that match by wubbing all open torsos (even an Oxide through a fuckload of brush).

I'd say having those two go dead silent was worth piloting a pretty hot airplane on legs.

Pooncha fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jan 25, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

My almost identical Ghost Dad (cant afford artemis, im broke) is elited, so he earned a bit of a timeout to refresh.
In the meantime, Rocket Dad woke up from his drunken stupor and picks up where GD left:

(Again, no artemis, endo steel or whatever modules cause im still a broke bum. Dunno when ill be able to get modules instead of mechs, i am developing a seriopsu pokemon syndrome everytime i log on)

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011
Looking for an invite into WoL. In game name is Vrachov Molotov

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
I made one of them there 4SRM-6,4SPL Timberwolves. I crack 1200 damage one game and was topping 800 for like, 4 games in a row. That thing is pretty crazy.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

sebmojo posted:

lol no

4 spl and 4MG is adequate, if not super optimal or anything. Flamers are totally useless though.

Flamers look fuckin sweet

Honest Davion
Jul 25, 2006
I buy Joel Nerf Guns
Been away from this since about the Transverse debacle, and it's certainly picked up. Much more playable again, from both a gameplay and technical perspective.

Whizzed through the tutorial for the free C-Bills. It's actually pretty good.

Gave me enough to buy a Black Knight BL-7-KNT, and it may not be the best but I'm determined to make it work, even with all these low hardpoints.

Playing it as a baby medium range assault I'm doing pretty good in Quick Play. Quirks give it a fair boost to structure so it's pretty forgiving and beefy, especially with it's shield arm, and it can spit PPCs fairly fast. Anybody know which of the other variants are best?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Allow me to paint a picture for you all. I'm in my Pirate's Bane. A locust with 4spl, ecm, and a big rear end engine. It is very short and runs very fast. Some goons and I drop in a group and we get forest colony. Against 228 or sjr or lord, I can't remember.

Anyway, I get a water spawn point and I'm running towards a map edge where no one would ever go, and about half a map square before the map edge a mech hits me dead CT from extreme range. I survive and type "HMM THAT'S NOT SUSPICIOUS AT ALL!" Only to accidentally run out of bounds and explode because mech fast.

A match or two later I'm on frozen city night with the same goons in a Cent-D with a big engine, lbx-10, and 2 mpl. Again we drop against 228/Lord/sjr or whoever. I pop into Jenner alley and run allll the way to the low city side where there's a divot surround by cliffs on 3 sides. The enemy never saw me.

I wait until 10:00 and then go to suicide and as soon as I move out into the open a grasshopper rounds the corner and starts shooting me. He's losing the fight and a black knight rounds the corner and CTs me from 600m while I'm twisting and cuddling this grasshopper.

This question is mostly for #19, are pgi working on a way to detect and flag accounts that use Helios? Because it's really ruining the gently caress out of the only fun part of this game, the shooting mechs part.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

No one cares about hackers, too busy forcing Paul's dream

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Drythe posted:

No one cares about hackers, too busy forcing Paul's dream

Hackers pay the most though

pay more lovely non hacking nerds

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Founder guy since you missed the hero time buy mastery packs and save for mech bays to go on sale

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
you would have to be one sad sack of poo poo to cheat in mwo

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Random Number posted:

Allow me to paint a picture for you all. I'm in my Pirate's Bane. A locust with 4spl, ecm, and a big rear end engine. It is very short and runs very fast. Some goons and I drop in a group and we get forest colony. Against 228 or sjr or lord, I can't remember.

Anyway, I get a water spawn point and I'm running towards a map edge where no one would ever go, and about half a map square before the map edge a mech hits me dead CT from extreme range. I survive and type "HMM THAT'S NOT SUSPICIOUS AT ALL!" Only to accidentally run out of bounds and explode because mech fast.

A match or two later I'm on frozen city night with the same goons in a Cent-D with a big engine, lbx-10, and 2 mpl. Again we drop against 228/Lord/sjr or whoever. I pop into Jenner alley and run allll the way to the low city side where there's a divot surround by cliffs on 3 sides. The enemy never saw me.

I wait until 10:00 and then go to suicide and as soon as I move out into the open a grasshopper rounds the corner and starts shooting me. He's losing the fight and a black knight rounds the corner and CTs me from 600m while I'm twisting and cuddling this grasshopper.

This question is mostly for #19, are pgi working on a way to detect and flag accounts that use Helios? Because it's really ruining the gently caress out of the only fun part of this game, the shooting mechs part.

Excuse me, but they banned the one and only person using cheats ages ago :colbert:

Perhaps you're experiencing Ghost Cheat

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Anyone got a decent ballistic build for the Stormcrow by chance?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Stanyer89 posted:

Anyone got a decent ballistic build for the Stormcrow by chance?

You can do 1xUAC/20 4xML (or SPL), which is okay except you'll get the UAC/20 arm blown off all the time, leaving you with just 4xML and nothing else. There's also the gauss crow in the OP.

Really, the issue is that the 'crow only has one ballistic hardpoint at best and it can't be torso-mounted.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I kind of remember someone in here predicting more cheatz when this went to Steam. If PGI cares about growing this game (having the desire and the ability are different things, obv) then they better have something cooking to root out Helios.

Maybe switch to Source engine :v:

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Are anecdotal hackusations above or below anecdotal scoreboards in the shitposting hierarchy?

I'm not saying hacks don't exist in MWO (obviously they do, we've seen proof) but the way the story was described it's hard to say. I drop against Lord, -MS-, SJR, and 228 players fairly frequently in solo queue and I've never encountered anything remotely fishy. Is it that much different in group queue?

Edit: I'd imagine solo queue is where I'd bust out the hacks, because there's less of a chance of competent players that would notice something weird going on.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 25, 2016

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

novaSphere posted:

Are anecdotal hackusations above or below anecdotal scoreboards in the shitposting hierarchy?

I'm not saying hacks don't exist in MWO (obviously they do, we've seen proof) but the way the story was described it's hard to say. I drop against Lord, -MS-, SJR, and 228 players fairly frequently in solo queue and I've never encountered anything remotely fishy. Is it that much different in group queue?

I mainly see bullshit pure CT cores with Lord or EmP, honestly. It's fun to piss off 228 guys with the Team Helios thing though.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

You can do 1xUAC/20 4xML (or SPL), which is okay except you'll get the UAC/20 arm blown off all the time, leaving you with just 4xML and nothing else. There's also the gauss crow in the OP.

Really, the issue is that the 'crow only has one ballistic hardpoint at best and it can't be torso-mounted.

As mentioned this isn't exactly an optimal ballistic build for the Scrow but if you just have an itch for dakka it will scratch that. Plus it will really stress the importance of twisting your ballistic arm out of the way.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yeah this what was I was kind of afraid of but ultimately was realizing. Probably going to keep working on getting better with my Streak-crow for light hunting.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I think that, while the Stormcrow is a better overall mech, the Shadowcat is probably a better standoff gauss platform, what with the MASC, ECM, and jumpjets. After all, it's not like the crow can do much at range other than pack that one big gun.

Plus, the gauss doesn't leave a huge HERE I AM marker like lasers or ppcs for the cat, and it works on hot maps quite well.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Fs9-K, should I single jump jet it and just plaster it with MPLas? I realize that the... S? Has MPLas quirks. So, it'll be my next purchase. But in the meantime, I could just put 8 SPLas and Alpha strike everything in the butt. Dunno

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

TheParadigm posted:

Off the top of my head and preferences:

As7-ddc, cataphract 0xp.

What's the least awful #3 Locust? I have a pirates bane and a -1v. I need a third for eliting out the PB.

I got the cataphract and its pretty neat, but I've some how lost virtually all my money making small changes to various mechs. I think I have like 2 million bucks left

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

WebDO posted:

Excuse me, but they banned the one and only person using cheats ages ago :colbert:

Perhaps you're experiencing Ghost Cheat

This is the only reasonable explanation.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Anyone got the spreadsheet of how many people from the same clan can be in a game before hitting ghost cheat?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Drythe posted:

Anyone got the spreadsheet of how many people from the same clan can be in a game before hitting ghost cheat?

:golfclap:

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I think you can also fit an Atlas, two Blackjacks and a Locust for Going Fast? Although the Locust isn't anywhere near as good as a Firestarter as a general-purpose light.

The point of the deck I posted is that there are no weaknesses. All of the mechs are fast (over 75 kph), have great heat management, and pull their weight on any drop. Atlases are really slow and all the armor in the world can't help you if you get surrounded in a poor position. With the 265 limit there's no need to bring a tonnage dump. IS light mechs are garbage now so Firestarters and especially Locusts are liabilities for your team when you bring one.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

novaSphere posted:

Edit: I'd imagine solo queue is where I'd bust out the hacks, because there's less of a chance of competent players that would notice something weird going on.

Almost everyone has stories of being exclusively cored out or getting headshot on the move from extreme distances. We were playing a team on two consecutive drops and if you moved to the corner of cover, but stopped, there would still be multiple gauss shots fired at the spot you would've popped out because they were wallhacking. I sent Alex a long email about it and I hope something was done, but we'll never know!

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress the ROW posted:

I got the cataphract and its pretty neat, but I've some how lost virtually all my money making small changes to various mechs. I think I have like 2 million bucks left

Welcome to inner sphere

Expect to pay at the bare minimum to spend 1.5m to unfuck your mechs

More if you want an XL engine

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
An interesting option for CW (or, at least, Hellebore Springs and Boreal Vault) is this:

BLR-1S

Duration bonuses, high mounts, and most importantly, a 25% range bonus. Add that to the ER large range module and you'll be tickling folks for full damage at 928 meters -- or, over 100 meters past maximum Clan ER Large range.

If you have a few of these on a hill (like the ramps on Boreal) they can melt anything before it gets into range.

Can also massively skimp on back armor due to the fact that you're only ever going to be facing the enemy

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Man, this game is blowing up

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

This game is fun as gently caress

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

ZenVulgarity posted:

This game is fun as gently caress

amazing that all it took were some structure bonuses, some range reduction on lasers, and tightening SRM groupings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Need some help with my next mech purchase. I've currently got two Stormcrow variants, a Timberwolf, plus the founders Atlas and Centurion. Should I just be saving up for another Stormcrow to master the chassis or is it not worth the 12mill+ c-bill sink?

Conversely I've been eyeing the Blackjack but I feel like I should wait until it goes on sale or whatever.

• Locked thread