Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
My Samsung Galaxy S5 Sport keeps freezing after varying periods of time. It's currently running 4.4.2 rooted with Nova Launcher. I've done an uninstall/reinstall of the launcher and still get freezes between twenty minutes and an hour. Oh, and some apps refuse to open completely - Facebook, Instagram, etc.

I'm wondering if this is some sort of memory issue, and if so, if there's a way to partition the SD card in such a way that some space can be used for additional RAM.

Failing that, factory reset has been suggested. Curious what more experienced Android users have to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

I'm wondering if this is some sort of memory issue, and if so, if there's a way to partition the SD card in such a way that some space can be used for additional RAM.

No, that is not a good idea, haha. RAM isn't the issue anyway, you just got Samsung'd.

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

Failing that, factory reset has been suggested. Curious what more experienced Android users have to say.

Yes, just factory reset it. Barring buying a new phone, that's hour one option.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

My Samsung Galaxy S5 Sport keeps freezing after varying periods of time. It's currently running 4.4.2 rooted with Nova Launcher. I've done an uninstall/reinstall of the launcher and still get freezes between twenty minutes and an hour. Oh, and some apps refuse to open completely - Facebook, Instagram, etc.

My S4 does the same thing, certain apps just won't work (esp. Facebook, Snapchat, Youtube), and it gets put in a sort of "phone coma" where it tries to shut itself off or restart but gets stuck in a loop on the boot/splash screen until the battery dies. A factory reset fixes the problem but only temporarily, and I don't think doing a factory reset literally every day is worth the hassle.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
I've been going back through this thread and googling about as I'm considering dropping cash on a 5x, am I an idiot? My launch bought N5 is really showing its age these days and it's pretty hrd to keep up with all that's new in phone world. Are there similarly priced better specced phones that run unfucked with android worth considering?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Shannow posted:

I've been going back through this thread and googling about as I'm considering dropping cash on a 5x, am I an idiot? My launch bought N5 is really showing its age these days and it's pretty hrd to keep up with all that's new in phone world. Are there similarly priced better specced phones that run unfucked with android worth considering?

If you decide to do it I have two in SA-Mart. Good phones overall. Fingerprint is amazing.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

For me, it's typically when I attempt to pause, it won't pause and then they come unlinked and I can't do any control on it. The other problem is attempting to rewind causes it to hang for like five minutes. It's just super unreliable for me. I thought maybe the CC2 would help, and then got the ethernet adapter, but it's just not stable enough to use.

I've had this issue loads of times too on the original chromecast. I'd invest in a new one but my raspberry Pi can do everything it does better anyway with the exception of Netflix and I don't really watch much of that.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Yeah, both of my old-style Chromecasts have all the issues mentioned...super hard to scrub, pausing only works some times, loses connection and it disappears from the list of devices.

On the other hand, casting to my Shield TV works perfectly.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
My biggest issue with my Chromecast is the volume being super laggy and annoying to adjust. It sucks at connecting sometimes, too.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="455269967"]
My biggest issue with my Chromecast is the volume being super laggy and annoying to adjust. It sucks at connecting sometimes, too.

I had the same problem on the old Chromecast, and the new one solved all of that and has no such issues for me.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Red Warrior posted:

Plex is awful on Chromecast, it starts glitching out after playing 4-5 episodes in a row, which is terrible for some short kids shows. This is on both v1 and v2 Chromecasts. Also it has a ridiculous low bitrate limit that it starts requesting transcoded content at, so makes it hard to watch HD stuff.

If you use Plex a lot get an Amazon Fire TV Stick instead, works fine all day long.

Use Plex on my Chromecast daily and it owns bones. HD comes in clear as day. Only "problem" I have is occasionally having to reconnect the app to the Chromecast.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

If you're having trouble with HD on Plex/Chromecast2, there are a lot of settings within Plex for transcoding stuff. Make sure those are set correctly. I can stream 1080p stuff no problem and no lag after that.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
I've got two original Chromecasts and they work pretty flawlessly. Scrubbing and
rewinding can be a pain on phones, but I keep my old Note 3 in the living room as the universal remote. The S pen hover feature is perfect for choosing which spot on the video to jump to, and between apps and the ir blaster it controls every device from the TV to the ac unit.

I would prefer using Chrome to cast from a computer but every update since it came out has done nothing but make it more of a pain in the rear end and laggier to use, it was perfect at launch.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
My only plex issue is that the voice audio is too soft if something has more than stereo audio but oh well not much I can do there unless I want to get a receiver and speakers

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

TraderStav posted:

If you decide to do it I have two in SA-Mart. Good phones overall. Fingerprint is amazing.

That would be tempting but for me living in the UK.

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

I'm not sure if there is a bug in 6.01 or if this is something to do with that whole doze system, but ever since I updated my nexus 6 from lollipop, I've been having to log into the captive portal at work all the drat time. It just drops the WiFi randomly and I have to log back in, even if I'm in the middle of browsing something.

I've checked the WiFi settings and the phone is set to always stay connected, is there anything else I might need to change?

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Epiphyte posted:

I'm not sure if there is a bug in 6.01 or if this is something to do with that whole doze system, but ever since I updated my nexus 6 from lollipop, I've been having to log into the captive portal at work all the drat time. It just drops the WiFi randomly and I have to log back in, even if I'm in the middle of browsing something.

I've checked the WiFi settings and the phone is set to always stay connected, is there anything else I might need to change?

Both my N5 and N6 gained this behavior after upgrading to 6.0.

Luckily it's not annoying for me, but I often see it using 4G when waking the phone.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
I just got a Zenfone2. What's the best way to remove bullshit from it? I'm open to rooting if it would make it easier.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I hate that the Moto G's Marshmallow update removed Ambient Display; now we have to use Moto Display or nothing, and I don't like Moto Display. It's not glanceable and the gestures it requires don't feel natural or match up with the way I use the phone the rest of the time. gently caress you Motorola.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

ErIog posted:

I just got a Zenfone2. What's the best way to remove bullshit from it? I'm open to rooting if it would make it easier.

I got one (which I love compare to my N4 R.I.P) but you can just disable it right from the apps menu.

It can be uninstalled from the new update.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

ErIog posted:

Settings -> Apps -> Select the app you want to get rid of and click either uninstall or disable what you don't want.

Rumor has it the Zenfone2 Android 6.0 has started beta testing. No idea what the timeline is for release though.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."

Odobenidae posted:

My S4 does the same thing, certain apps just won't work (esp. Facebook, Snapchat, Youtube), and it gets put in a sort of "phone coma" where it tries to shut itself off or restart but gets stuck in a loop on the boot/splash screen until the battery dies. A factory reset fixes the problem but only temporarily, and I don't think doing a factory reset literally every day is worth the hassle.

Well, right now, doing the "reboot" of removing the battery, counting to 30, and re-mounting the battery fixes it, at least for a time. It was fine all through the night and during my shift this morning, but on the bus up to work and here after my shift I've had to do the battery dance. I do it anywhere between 4 and 6 times a day at this point.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

My old chromecasts were kinda finnicky in my apartment, but I've had no problems since getting the new model and an onhub router. It still sucks on my wife's iPhone, but I should probably just solve that with a newer TV that does hdmi-cec.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

RZA Encryption posted:

My old chromecasts were kinda finnicky in my apartment, but I've had no problems since getting the new model and an onhub router. It still sucks on my wife's iPhone, but I should probably just solve that with a newer TV that does hdmi-cec.

I just watched a movie for on my CC2, and for the first time it worked 100% fine. I did get the ethernet adapter, but looking at my network, it hasn't pulled an IP for itself over the wire, and is just using WiFi. I did put a new Unifi AP in that part of the house last week, so that probably helps.

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6178505?hl=en

Links to a page:

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6306422

But as far as I can tell, I have the newest version of firmware. Go figure.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Settings -> Apps -> Select the app you want to get rid of and click either uninstall or disable what you don't want.

Rumor has it the Zenfone2 Android 6.0 has started beta testing. No idea what the timeline is for release though.

It's beta testing in Taiwan now and has been for a few weeks. Assume the timeline is late Feb. or March.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
My Nexus 6 loves to go full brightness for several seconds when I wake it, this is especially annoying when checking things at night. It did not always do this. What changed? Between Material being so white and this bug/feature it's almost like Google wants to blind everyone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have never owned an android device that didn't from time to time like to go full brightness when I wake and then require turning the screen off and then back on again for auto-brightness to kick in.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

bull3964 posted:

I have never owned an android device that didn't from time to time like to go full brightness when I wake and then require turning the screen off and then back on again for auto-brightness to kick in.

My S6 hasn't pulled this yet, but it's unfortunately familiar behavior with 'droids, yeah.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

FlyingCheese posted:

My Nexus 6 loves to go full brightness for several seconds when I wake it, this is especially annoying when checking things at night. It did not always do this. What changed? Between Material being so white and this bug/feature it's almost like Google wants to blind everyone.

Don't notice it on my Nexus 6 much, usually only if the last time I turned it on it was real bright, and now it's not, and maybe it even dozed in between?
On the bright side though, they introduced night mode to Play Books which removes all blue from the screen which is cool. Especially how clearly blue tinted everything is when you tab back to home screen after.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

DemonMage posted:

Don't notice it on my Nexus 6 much, usually only if the last time I turned it on it was real bright, and now it's not, and maybe it even dozed in between?
On the bright side though, they introduced night mode to Play Books which removes all blue from the screen which is cool. Especially how clearly blue tinted everything is when you tab back to home screen after.

My phone did that automatically when you set the phone brightness all the way down. Some update turned this off and I don't get why.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
So. Here's an annoying this. There's two WiFi networks in my office - <companyname> and <companyname>-guest. I use my OnePlus One on <companyname>-guest. It has never been on <companyname>. But every Monday morning when I come into the office I see a little error symbol next to my WiFi icon, and when I go to my network list I see that it has tried to connect to <companyname> and failed, and is showing 'Authentication Problem'. As soon as I long press on it and choose 'forget network', it successfully connects to <companyname>-guest. I had to do this every loving week, and it's driving me mental. Does anyone have any idea why it might be?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'll do this so we can get it out of the way:

chippy posted:

Does anyone have any idea why it might be?

chippy posted:

I use my OnePlus One
But seriously, I would consider that to be a bug in the OS. I have never had an Android phone connect to a network without me having previously connected to it, and Forget will always stop it connecting automatically in future.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

So, I finally got my $50 BestBuy gift card for activating Samsung Pay (registered for it on 12/11). They also included a $25 credit to the Samsung store as an apology for the delay.

Now I just need to figure out something to buy from BB.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Could someone try downloading one of the recent episodes of Astronomy Cast (397 - 399)? I've been having playback issues with them in any app I've tried: BeyondPod, PocketCasts, and MX Player. Skipping ahead(30s)/back(10s) is incredibly unreliable, with the indicator moving in seemingly unpredictable amounts, and sometimes even moving in the wrong direction. Additionally, the episodes aren't showing up as the proper length. For example, BeyondPod thinks episode 399 is about two hours long. I downloaded a couple episodes directly to my computer and VLC seems to work fine with it, after some initial uncertainty in the length, but Groove Music (Windows 10's player) thought episode 398 was over an hour long although I could scrub around fine (no ff/rw buttons).

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

Could someone try downloading one of the recent episodes of Astronomy Cast (397 - 399)? I've been having playback issues with them in any app I've tried: BeyondPod, PocketCasts, and MX Player.

Sure. I use Podcast Addict and just now subscribed to Astronomy Cast, downloaded episode 399, and tried skipping around in it. Just as you describe, super weird and doesn't work well. Never seen anything behave like that before. Does basically the same thing when I try to play the episode in Google Play Music and Solid Explorer's audio player.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Contact Fraser Cain about it. He'll fix it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I used the contact form on their website a week or so ago and didn't hear anything back. I'll try twitter now that I know it's not just me.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

hooah posted:

I used the contact form on their website a week or so ago and didn't hear anything back. I'll try twitter now that I know it's not just me.

I don't know how active he is on Twitter, but I talk to him on G+ all the time.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Here's a weird thing.

My brother has always had just a couple of random letters for his name in Google. That's what shows up when I'm doing Hangouts with him.

A while back Hangouts started showing his name as 'acerhen somerhen' even though he didnt change anything on his end. There are no google results for those two words together.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I've had hangouts change me, for people contacting me, to random people. As in I become a white woman one conversation then a black man the next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

AlexDeGruven posted:

So, I finally got my $50 BestBuy gift card for activating Samsung Pay (registered for it on 12/11). They also included a $25 credit to the Samsung store as an apology for the delay.

Now I just need to figure out something to buy from BB.

I thought I'd activated Pay prior to the time window specified but entered a claim anyway figuring the worst they can do is say no. Got my BB card notification on Saturday. Score!