Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Odobenidae posted:

Speaking of Austria snakes, the new AI added in the most recent patch made Austria expand like a loving maniac. The AI tries to connect it's territory to Sundgau and tears through the empire, even though as the emperor you can just walk straight over everyone thus negating any need to connect them. They always seem to ravage the HRE, which as the emperor makes very little sense. It's pretty lame that by becoming the emperor you're given free reign to poo poo all over your underlings and they just have to accept it as is.

Here's a nice post expanding on this.
It's been a problem since before 1.4 too. I complain about it routinely, but I don't think Wiz has ever mentioned if it's on his radar or not. It's not even just that, being them Emperor also gives them free reign to conquer all the German land around them, most commonly Bavaria. I'm with you on that the Emperor should see a massive diplomatic shitstorm fall on them if they take any non-core Imperial province from any other member.

I don't care much in general for the general thunderdome that is the HRE, way too easy to blob, albeit more slowly than you would in other places. But EU4 is a blobbing game, and I don't see how you'd make the HRE as static as it was and still any fun to play in.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The semi-unpredictable chaos of the HRE is awesome IMO and an Austria that desperately tries to conquer its way into having contiguous territory is funny

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Ok, Indirect Rule + Administrative Republic + Liberation Act (Humanism + Offensive) for a total of -20 years of separatism is overpowered as gently caress. I do not get rebels, ever. I get -10.5 unrest in different culture, same religion provinces which means I could raise autonomy immediately after capturing a province and still get no unrest. That's awesome.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Odobenidae posted:

Speaking of Austria snakes, the new AI added in the most recent patch made Austria expand like a loving maniac. The AI tries to connect it's territory to Sundgau and tears through the empire, even though as the emperor you can just walk straight over everyone thus negating any need to connect them. They always seem to ravage the HRE, which as the emperor makes very little sense. It's pretty lame that by becoming the emperor you're given free reign to poo poo all over your underlings and they just have to accept it as is.

Here's a nice post expanding on this.

I don't know what you'd do about a player behaving like this, but the quick and dirty fix for the AI is to have the Emperor think about the member-states as if they were its actual vassals.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
One alternative would be to design a form of a HRE coalition system that would come into effect if an emperor abuses their position, stripping them of lands and/or their emperor status somehow. But perhaps also tie the individual states', and especially the electors', opinion of the emperor to how buffed they get. Thus an emperor who protects the rest and resists annexing smaller states would become as powerful (or more?) as if they did. This would promote more diplomacy and maintenance of the status quo without handicapping the emperor too much or removing a feeling of progress and growth.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Perhaps make the hre bonuses or imperial authority dependent on the number of the states. Like the devotion mechanic.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

pointsofdata posted:

Perhaps make the hre bonuses or imperial authority dependent on the number of the states. Like the devotion mechanic.

Doesn't imperial authority already depend of the number of states in HRE?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Gantolandon posted:

Doesn't imperial authority already depend of the number of states in HRE?

Yeah.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
So do the manpower bonuses you get from being emperor.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Huh, turns out paradox is smarter than me!

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
How many positive prestige modifiers do I need to have running at once alongside Patron of the Arts to make prestige trend upwards instead of down? For example, with +2 prestige, what would my typical prestige sit at? +3? If I rebalanced my ideas to take religious, I could even get it to +4. This is important to me.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 25, 2016

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Another Person posted:

How many positive prestige modifiers do I need to have running at once alongside Patron of the Arts to make prestige trend upwards instead of down? For example, with +2 prestige, what would my typical prestige sit at? +3?

Prestige decays at 5% per year, Patron of the Arts makes it 4% instead so if you're at 100 prestige and want to stay there you need +4 yearly prestige.

Unless I did maths completely wrong.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I am going to do hilarious, fantastic things.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

MrBling posted:

Prestige decays at 5% per year, Patron of the Arts makes it 4% instead so if you're at 100 prestige and want to stay there you need +4 yearly prestige.

Unless I did maths completely wrong.

I did this as the Iroquois. I was able to stack prestige bonuses from Innovative, Religious, my NIs, and the Religious Sacrifices decision to stay at 100 prestige permanently. It was great.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It's pretty easy to get there with Byzantium as well with their +2 Prestige ambition and proximity to both Rome and Jerusalem (+1 each). And loads of countries have +1 Prestige ideas somewhere.

Trouble is that Prestige isn't all that hard to come by in general.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
It works the same way with Army and Naval Tradition. Just divide your yearly gain by the % decay and bam presto that's your "floor."

So if you have +2.0 yearly AT or Prestige and standard -5% decay, your "resting" value will be 40.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

It's pretty easy to get there with Byzantium as well with their +2 Prestige ambition and proximity to both Rome and Jerusalem (+1 each). And loads of countries have +1 Prestige ideas somewhere.

Trouble is that Prestige isn't all that hard to come by in general.

Maintaining that constant 100 prestige is a little harder though. I am Bulgaria. Won't be shooting for Rome or Jerusalem though, got a gameplan. It is the MP game and I noticed something funny and plan to take advantage of it.

I get +1 prestige as an NI (Reform the Bulgarian Church), +1 from Religious, +1 from a philosopher, -1% decay. And here is the kicker: I just noticed I am the last Orthodox power left on the map. I get to be Defender of the Faith. Forever. I literally cannot lose it unless I somehow lose my monarchy. +1 prestige from that. And due to Innovative ideas, I don't even have to stomach the -5% tech cost because it gets offset. I will never worry about prestige or war exhaustion ever again, and get 10% morale to boot.

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Ask me about continually throwing myself at the enemy and losing every single time in EU4 Multiplayer.

Another Person posted:

Maintaining that constant 100 prestige is a little harder though. I am Bulgaria. Won't be shooting for Rome or Jerusalem though, got a gameplan. It is the MP game and I noticed something funny and plan to take advantage of it.

I get +1 prestige as an NI (Reform the Bulgarian Church), +1 from Religious, +1 from a philosopher, -1% decay. And here is the kicker: I just noticed I am the last Orthodox power left on the map. I get to be Defender of the Faith. Forever. I literally cannot lose it unless I somehow lose my monarchy. +1 prestige from that. And due to Innovative ideas, I don't even have to stomach the -5% tech cost because it gets offset. I will never worry about prestige or war exhaustion ever again, and get 10% morale to boot.

Remember to refresh it every monarch. You wouldn't want to forget that

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Godlovesus posted:

Remember to refresh it every monarch. You wouldn't want to forget that

you don't lose DotF on succession, so this is a non-issue.

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

Another Person posted:

I am going to do hilarious, fantastic things.

If you like prestige, play the Papal state. Their government type gives them +1 right off the bat, then another +1 from having 100 devotion (which you should almost always have). You get +1 from your ideas. You're much more likely to become the Curia controller, which gives another +1.

And if that isn't enough, throw -1% decay in the mix, also from your ideas.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I just noticed my vassal, The Livonian Order, culture converting their provinces...I have never noticed this before. Does this happen if they have a surplus of diplo points, or what?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The new ddrjake run is pretty amazing. Ideas guy and For Odin, except he only used 31 points (including 36 points expended for 100% prestige from naval battles) and started as a Chinese tech Norse Bornholm.

And somehow he took over half the European coast. I'm only watching it on YouTube so he might have failed by now, but it's a good example of how to make something from as close to nothing as the game can give you.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Prop Wash posted:

Chinese tech Norse Bornholm.
:stonk:

There is good at the game and then there is that kinda poo poo.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Tell me why Theodoro is my valid rival, as Afghanistan?

edit: Also Livonian Order still a monster.

edit:

God the rivals system is so broken.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 26, 2016

sckye
Apr 6, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

Tell me why Theodoro is my valid rival, as Afghanistan?

The game saw how low your power projection was and decided to award you with 10 free points.
Apparently the rivals system is getting a rework soon (next patch, I think?), so it'll probably be better then.

By the way, you might want to edit your images. Just delete the letter "l" before the ".jpg" part, so that the images aren't displayed at just 640x360.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

sckye posted:

The game saw how low your power projection was and decided to award you with 10 free points.
Apparently the rivals system is getting a rework soon (next patch, I think?), so it'll probably be better then.

By the way, you might want to edit your images. Just delete the letter "l" before the ".jpg" part, so that the images aren't displayed at just 640x360.

I thought adding the l made them show small but click to embiggen?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

That's using the timg tag instead of img. The l at the end of the link just tells imgur to serve a smaller picture.

sckye
Apr 6, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

Nah, that's what the [timg] tag does.
The "l" just tells imgur at what resolution you want the image to be displayed. In this case, a "large thumbnail" at 640x640 that keeps the image proportions, which is why it scales it to 640x360.

On-topic: Are there any other notable streamers who are good at the game, besides Arumba and ddrjake?

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI
I hope there's a rework of 'disant overseas' in the works. Greece holding Alexandria getting the same penalty as Great Britain holding Kyoto is a little silly

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

TITY BOI posted:

I hope there's a rework of 'disant overseas' in the works. Greece holding Alexandria getting the same penalty as Great Britain holding Kyoto is a little silly

IMO distant overseas should be replaced with something like an autonomy penalty that gets greater as the distance to the capital increases. It should also ignore continents entirely and apply to territory with a connection, though land that is connected should have significantly less of a penalty. Remove the -50% coring discount from "colonies" and overseas provinces and give them a % reduction equal to the autonomy floor given by this overseas penalty.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 26, 2016

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I dunno, I think it's simple to understand and works pretty elegantly the way it is right now. There's already a distance where it won't count as overseas (Tunis for Sicily, for example), maybe they could add a modifier that extends that radius for certain countries/ idea groups.

What I think needs changing is just how the continents are defined in general. On one side you have Europe as one thing, on the other side you have the entirety of loving Asia, from Israel to Korea. It's just as ridiculous to lump them together in game as it is in real life, and really shafts one of the big bonuses from westernizing as an Asian team, since trade companies are useless for them everywhere aside from Africa. Removing that continent division entirely, and doing it by super-region (Middle East, India, China etc) would make way more sense.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Odobenidae posted:

IMO distant overseas should be replaced with something like an autonomy penalty that gets greater as the distance to the capital increases. It should also ignore continents entirely and apply to territory with a connection, though land that is connected should have significantly less of a penalty. Remove the -50% coring discount from "colonies" and overseas provinces and give them a % reduction equal to the autonomy floor given by this overseas penalty.

Even though transport and communication over water was much easier and faster than that over land until the invention of railway?

Hobsbawm posted:

Under the circumstances transport by water was therefore not only easier and cheaper, but often also (except for the uncertainties of wind and weather) faster. It took Goethe four and three days respectively to sail from Naples to Sicily and back during his Italian tour. The mind boggles at the time it would have taken him to travel overland in anything like comfort. To be within reach of a port was to be within reach of the world: in a real sense London was closer to Plymouth or Leith than to villages in the Breckland of Norfolk; Seville was more accessible from Veracruz than from Valladolid, Hamburg from Bahia than from the Pomeranian hinterland. The chief drawback of water transport was its intermittency. Even in 1820 the London mails for Hamburg and Holland were made up only twice a week, those for Sweden and Portugal once weekly, those for North America once a month. Yet there can be no doubt that Boston and New York were in much closer contact with Paris than, let us say, the Carpathian county of Maramaros was with Budapest. And just as it was easier to transport goods and men in quantity over the vast distances of the oceans— easier, for instance, for 44,000 to set sail for America from Northern Irish ports in five years (1769– 74) than to get five thousand to Dundee in three generations— so it was easier to link distant capitals than country and city. The news of the fall of the Bastille reached the populace of Madrid within thirteen days; but in Péronne, a bare 133 kilometres from the capital, ‘the news from Paris’ was not received until the 28th.

(I went looking for a short and pity quote to back this up and found myself reading the entire chapter. <3 Hobsbawm)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Autonomous Monster posted:

Even though transport and communication over water was much easier and faster than that over land until the invention of railway?

(I went looking for a short and pity quote to back this up and found myself reading the entire chapter. <3 Hobsbawm)
I think the idea is that there should be a contiguous, well oiled bureaucracy to go with with your pretty borders if you keep autonomy in control and admin up to date. There's been previous efforts to homogenize weird admin stuff into autonomy so I don't think it'd be out of the question to get some of the stranger stuff around administration distance into something more mechanistic than continental divides. Like yeah a letter from bumfuck is a bigger problem to get to the capital than from a colony's governor to a home office, but you also don't need royal decree on a tax case being heard in the bumfuck local court.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

I forgot about that, drat, never even entered my mind. That just raises further questions on why the current land connection mechanic is even a thing in the first place.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

TITY BOI posted:

I would like to see it scale linearly with distance. I'd like it to scale along a sigmoid curve from 0 to 100% based on how long it takes to path from your capital to that province. Travel by sea in supply should be 1/10 the pathing cost of travel by land, but travel by sea out of supply should cost as much as travel by land. This would cause Britain holding Kyoto to guaranteed be 100% autonomy if they don't have an in-supply sea route, and something less than 100% (but still high) if they did. On the other hand, Britain holding Gibraltar and Britain holding Ceuta would have almost identical autonomy.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
You can call our overseas mechanic many things. 'Elegant' is not one of them. It's a clunky legacy mechanic.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It might be a clunky legacy mechanic, but at least it works really simply, and it always works as expected. I feel like breaking the five continents up into slightly smaller regions would be a good idea though, if only so vassal blocking is a useful tactic for everyone instead of extremely specific nations that happen to have a capital close to a continent border. I have the feeling that vassal blocking will just get kneecapped instead though.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
It works, and thus far we haven't come up with something better to replace it with, but when we do its days are numbered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

It might be a clunky legacy mechanic, but at least it works really simply, and it always works as expected. I feel like breaking the five continents up into slightly smaller regions would be a good idea though, if only so vassal blocking is a useful tactic for everyone instead of extremely specific nations that happen to have a capital close to a continent border. I have the feeling that vassal blocking will just get kneecapped instead though.

Vassal blocking is lame and your vassal's territory should count as yours for purposes of coring/autonomy if no good solution to the overseas problem is found. It's a silly exploit that's a product of the overseas mechanic not being expansive enough, maybe that's due to it being largely imported from EU3.

• Locked thread