Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

he advocates literal poo poo like chef and probably cf engine and spiceworks automate pro dx 2012

puppet is good
chef is good
cfengine is ... not recommended.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Mr Dog posted:

ansible

ty for the tip notorious bsd
lol

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah but you had to write it in yaml because lol ansible
loving lol

pram posted:

wtf nbsd doesnt advocate ansible you moron thats me

Nice meltdown

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
bcfg2 and cfengine pre-date puppet and chef by over ten years.

puppet and chef exist only because the 1st generation cfg management systems were so hard to use that people were driven to write new things from scratch

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
ansible reminds me pretty strongly of bcfg2 now that i think about it

just yaml instead of xml

pram
Jun 10, 2001
and theyre both in ruby. goody

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

classic wrongpinion

*shits entirely unnecessary layer over serviceable base language* IM AN ENGINEER

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

computer toucher posted:

ACTUALLY ITS THE BEST

CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL

C64 had a mechanical shift lock. That was the best

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
the yolotd thread once again turns into idiot cjs arguing about the best way to cj servers, a topic near and dear to desktop users everywhere

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

BobHoward posted:

the yolotd thread once again turns into idiot cjs arguing about the best way to cj servers, a topic near and dear to desktop users everywhere

config management - not just for servers :ninja:

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

BobHoward posted:

Wait, people other than cjs and autist engineers use linux on the desktop?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

celeron 300a posted:

people other than retards use windows with now built in malware and osx that usually has 2 or 3 unpatched security exploits???

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Celexi posted:

people other than retards use windows with now built in malware and osx that usually has 2 or 3 unpatched security exploits???

Apple exploits get handled fixed in a timely manner
Linux exploits are at the mercy of open sores and whatever lovely maintainer for each distro decides to poorly scrape together

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
*comments out crypto code due to compiler warnings only he will ever see*

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

ahmeni posted:

free and open sores, baby

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

ahmeni posted:

Apple exploits get handled fixed in a timely manner
Linux exploits are at the mercy of open sores and whatever lovely maintainer for each distro decides to poorly scrape together

i think you mean linux exploits get fixed quite quickly, while apple exploits take months or years to be fixed

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
osx had for like over a year a local root exploit that you could get root from terminal lol

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

pram posted:

wtf nbsd doesnt advocate ansible you moron thats me

lmao

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-49/product_id-156/

lmao

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

lmao at all these security issues that have been fixed by our fine friends at apple, just lmao

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
yeah not that prompt as you said though!!!!!

i mean, even the retards at hacking team had osx exploits that had worked for a while and even an ios one.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
also you didn't reply to the unpatched for one year root one

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
these all look pretty timely to me really

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
yeah one year to months is timely

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
its a little different in the linux world because someone immediately has a pull request to fix it while 27 people argue in a redmine instance over some terrible detail

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

pram posted:

and theyre both in ruby. goody

isn't salt a rewrite of chef in python? that seems interesting

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Celexi posted:

also you didn't reply to the unpatched for one year root one

do you mean the DYLD exploit?? the exploit from july 2015 that was fixed in sept 2015?
have you considered that perhaps your kPIM package is out of date and your calendar is off by a mere 80%

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
it had actually been disclosed to apple by the end of the previous year, had been known by many people meanwhile, and only when it was publicly disclosed did they actually patch it, so yeah, a year.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

ive been using debian for the last 1 year as my main desktop and have had no problems. idk why you guys hate debian and i still can't tell if the gnome3 posts are real. i refuse to believe gnome3 is good

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
gnome3 is pretty good but only works well on fedora last time I checked

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

celeron 300a posted:

lol that you haven't mastered the doublethink needed to believe both that linux is only good for developing linux software and that linux will take over the desktop this year, just lol

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

b0red posted:

ive been using debian for the last 1 year as my main desktop and have had no problems. idk why you guys hate debian and i still can't tell if the gnome3 posts are real. i refuse to believe gnome3 is good

gnome 3 is pretty good on fedora and entirely integrated, even has wayland gnome if your gpu supports. with a few tweaks like enabling window controls back, application/places list, and a dock bar or window list and i can't think of a better one, unless you like janitoring menus in kde for hours.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i like linux on my desktop and don't particularly give a gently caress if people in general also like it or not hth

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Mr Dog posted:

i like linux on my desktop and don't particularly give a gently caress if people in general also like it or not hth

sorry about your sad brains

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i have been reading that unix haters book, i feel like a north korean finding out that ball point pens aren't an extravagance.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I like when I shut down Mint and the last thing it does before dropping back to text mode is unapply the nice Mint styles so everything looks like CDE or something for a few seconds.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

ahmeni posted:

lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001

prefect posted:

isn't salt a rewrite of chef in python? that seems interesting

no salt is different. it has a lot of neat stuff like reactors. its closer to an rpc system like mcollective with cm/ci stuff baked in

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

CPColin posted:

I like when I shut down Mint and the last thing it does before dropping back to text mode is unapply the nice Mint styles so everything looks like CDE or something for a few seconds.

i think that happens on all de's, its not actually cde but xorg default as the window manager shuts down, doesn't happen on wayland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Barnyard Protein posted:

i have been reading that unix haters book, i feel like a north korean finding out that ball point pens aren't an extravagance.

i never tire of pointing out that windows didn't have condition variables until vista came out